Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just 1 PvP server Please, whats so hard about giving the players just 1???

Comments

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Ganking isnt pvp, it is full hp player vs half hp player, and having pvp server in GW2 is retarded since the server you are in, is almost a guild itself, the pvp is WvWvW (server vs server vs server ) , so why should i be able to kill guildies, there isnt even enemy factions in GW2

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Dont know if this was mentioned yet but seeing as you can play on any server you want,just only on your home server in WvW, what is to stop people from just going to another server to level and then come back for griefing purposes or any of the other non pvp servers from just forming raiding party's and going to your pvp server to cause havoc. 

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by Warjin

I'm going to miss the random encounters while out in the open World and for me personally  this is what is holding me back from buying GW2 the lack of World pvp encounters, I understand that we will be given WvWvW zones and I love the idea of that but I still want my random encounters.

My question is where, how and who do I express my concerns to about them just adding 1 server with this type of rule set?

For the last 10 years I have been looking for a  AAA MMO that would at least give me a feel of danger in the World like Asherons' Call 1 did almost a decade ago, I am just sick of waiting and wishing and to tell you the truth I am about at my wits end and just might stop playing MMO's or videos games for that matter all together.

What is so god dam hard about getting it right, Its like they give cool things but then take away other things, why can't a MMO have it all for all types of player, is it that hard to just set up a server with a FFA rule set now days?  One server IMO can only do a MMO good not bad so I fail to see the reason.

I understand that in GW2 we all all trying to kill some dragons but that still lacks reason why someone can't attack a alli or enemy, it;s like all MMO's today are created by a bunch of pansies that hate, fear the thrill of a online Worldy danger unless it is scripted, I mean really WTF is going on with this industry? 

Don't push your lame ideas onto a game that doesn't need them. You want to be some e-thug, go play something that supports that garbage. GW2 is not for you, move on.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

If there was a FFA-PvP server, then the majority of people playing on it (if not 100%) would be PvP focused players. That 1 server would still be put up against other servers for WvW that would have a blend of PvP and PvE players.  So why would the PvP server worry about fighting amongst themselves (what they asked for) when they can focus on killing other servers (people that like FFA-PvP tend to prefer banding together to grief others) and then they could talk about how great their epeen is.

I don't care what these people want. I don't want them in my game at all.  Tera should make thier game accomodate the people. 

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I see someone has resurrected this rotting old corpse.

Well, I won't bother going into depth since it won't matter anyway, but in the briefest terms, every system in the game is designed to promote a cooperative experience within each server.  Kick out that cooperative underpinning and you'll need to alter or remove each of those systems, plus add in a few more.

To please a handful of gamers that can't be happy enough with the game they've been presented and don't have the good grace to go elsewhere to find it? -- not worth the time and expense.

Umm, yeah.  That about covers it.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Kyleran

Strangely enough, when MMO's were small, tiny things developers had no issue with creating alternate rules servers and I recall DAOC had at least 3 different rulesets. (Normal, FFA PVP, and Cooperative)

But now that Developers have an almost limitless budget at their disposal compared to the early titles, they seem unwilling/unable to provide any sort of variety.

I always was surprised that Blizzard never delivered a FFA ruleset server in WOW with the resources they had, guess it all just came down to not making enough profit for the effort.

Pity.

It may very well have been a matter of understanding the playerbase back then. When the genre was new(er) developers kind of sprayed and prayed if you know what I mean. Now they have quite a bit more information on what appeals to the market as a whole.

I see suggestions like the OP's periodically but have yet to see one in which the poster suggests that participants on such a server, in a game that was not designed specifically to cater to this playstyle, pay more. If a separate server is to be added solely for a very few players, they should be willing to pay more for its inclusion. We are not speaking of a game feature being added, but rather a request for ANet to provide a few players with their own private server. Its not an unreasonable request so long as those expecting to benefit from havig their own server are willing to compensate ANet accordingly.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

I'm going to miss the random encounters while out in the open World and for me personally  this is what is holding me back from buying GW2 the lack of World pvp encounters, I understand that we will be given WvWvW zones and I love the idea of that but I still want my random encounters.

My question is where, how and who do I express my concerns to about them just adding 1 server with this type of rule set?

For the last 10 years I have been looking for a  AAA MMO that would at least give me a feel of danger in the World like Asherons' Call 1 did almost a decade ago, I am just sick of waiting and wishing and to tell you the truth I am about at my wits end and just might stop playing MMO's or videos games for that matter all together.

What is so god dam hard about getting it right, Its like they give cool things but then take away other things, why can't a MMO have it all for all types of player, is it that hard to just set up a server with a FFA rule set now days?  One server IMO can only do a MMO good not bad so I fail to see the reason.

I understand that in GW2 we all all trying to kill some dragons but that still lacks reason why someone can't attack a alli or enemy, it;s like all MMO's today are created by a bunch of pansies that hate, fear the thrill of a online Worldy danger unless it is scripted, I mean really WTF is going on with this industry? 

Go play another game then? Quit trolling.  If you're saying you don't like the game as it is, want's something completely different, and call this game "created by a bunch of pansies", ....well, don't play it.  Simple.

This game has catering for all kinds of people: 

-PvE content for PvE players. 

-Crafting for economy nuts.  

-5vs5 maps for structured, ranked PvP systems.  

-And, finally, whole HUGE worlds crated solely for WvWvW open combat PvP.

That last one is important because in those same maps there are PvE areas, monsters, even dynamic micro-quest events.  So, a player can be just in a swamp killing gators when a band of random gankers come down the road nearby, sees him, and attacks him accordingly.    That is very much possible with these maps.  However, I'm guessing that you (OP) were unaware of how extensively massive and sprawling the WvWvW is because you have no information on GW2 and no intention to play it but instead just troll the game calling it "panises".  There's EVE and Darkfall for your kind.  Those games are for gank-trolls. 

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by Siphaed

That last one is important because in those same maps there are PvE areas, monsters, even dynamic micro-quest events.  So, a player can be just in a swamp killing gators when a band of random gankers come down the road nearby, sees him, and attacks him accordingly.    That is very much possible with these maps.

Not the same at all.  When you head to the WvWvW zones, you are prepared to PvP.  There is no danger because you are expecting PvP and have made the conscious choice to do it, just as you would if you were queing up for a battleground.    You can avoid PvP altogether in this game.  It's not the same as true open world PvP no matter how you try to spin it.  Sorry.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by RebelScum99

That last one is important because in those same maps there are PvE areas, monsters, even dynamic micro-quest events.  So, a player can be just in a swamp killing gators when a band of random gankers come down the road nearby, sees him, and attacks him accordingly.    That is very much possible with these maps.

Not the same at all.  When you head to the WvWvW zones, you are prepared to PvP.  There is no danger because you are expecting PvP and have made the conscious choice to do it, just as you would if you were queing up for a battleground.  It's not the same as true open world PvP no matter how you try to spin it.  Sorry.

You mean like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OHZddJXlgo Pretty sad.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Amjoco

Not the same at all.  When you head to the WvWvW zones, you are prepared to PvP.  There is no danger because you are expecting PvP and have made the conscious choice to do it, just as you would if you were queing up for a battleground.  It's not the same as true open world PvP no matter how you try to spin it.  Sorry.

Yeah I stopped watching when 7 people killed a lowbie that was in the middle of a fight with an AI mob.  OWPVP is retarded.  People who call that a "sense of danger" make it sound enticing as though it were a sudden challenge.  It's not a challenge, it's an inconvenience, and when you arrive back at your body, they'll just kill you again.  Have fun spending money to be killed until max level.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah I stopped watching when 7 people killed a lowbie that was in the middle of a fight with an AI mob.  OWPVP is retarded.  People who call that a "sense of danger" make it sound enticing as though it were a sudden challenge.  It's not a challenge, it's an inconvenience, and when you arrive back at your body, they'll just kill you again.  Have fun spending money to be killed until max level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt9awdSgnvc

This is exciting regardless of how old it is.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

I like to think about how everyone at Anet, as well as all the people playing GW2, will be laughing at all the FFA-PvP'rs because they have to play some crap game instead.  And hey, if some other game wants to step up and invite these types of people to go play in that game, then wonderful.  I like a happy ending.

Well I'm getting the game, I'm not real sure if the PvP server is my kind of game though. I really enjoy PvP but if thats the "PvP" in Tera I may just go to the PvE side. No biggy, I love mmorpgs and if I have to do it I will.

Unfortunately now my copy of the game won't get here until Monday coinciding with the GW2 stress test! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

That is sad.  That's Tera? Man, that game looks stupid.  Glad I never accepted my Beta invite to it.  That looks shit compared to GW2.  Wonder what all the fuss is about their combat, doesn't look that great at all.

Back on topic to what  RebelScum99 said, ....what's your point? PvEers who want to only PvE can do so.  People that want to PvP can PvP and be ready to or ready not to while still in the PvP zone.  What's pathetic is you're wanting to basically randomly gank people that are enjoying the game, just to get enjoyment out of ruining their experience.  What you're saying is that you don't  want to do almost even fights because you cannot handle them and want uneven backstabs.    Sorry, but you need to go elsewhere for your psychotic ways.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

<shrugs> Happens from time to time in open world PvP.  There are ways to avoid that kind of thing in TERA, and there are some negative consequences in place for those that wish to gank lower levels.  I'm on Basilisk Crag server on one of my characters, and have been ganked by a higher level character exactly ONCE since playing, and that occured on the third day of open beta.  Don't get me wrong, I've been ganked a few times, but not by anyone that I didn't have a reasonable chance to beat one on one.  Also, when you get killed by another player, you don't have to run back to your body, so I'm not sure where you are getting that idea from. 

But yeah, ganking happens on open world PvP servers.  If you don't enjoy that kind of thing, that's fine.  But just don't act like what GW2 is giving you is an actual open world PvP setting.  Because it's not.  It's a nicely packaged, stress-free type of PvP that insulates players from true danger in the open world.  It's just a giant battleground.   

Happens from time to time in open world PvP.  There are ways to avoid that kind of thing in TERA, and there are some negative consequences in place for those that wish to gank lower levels.  I'm on Basilisk Crag server on one of my characters, and have been ganked by a higher level character exactly ONCE since playing, and that occured on the third day of open beta.  Don't get me wrong, I've been ganked a few times, but not by anyone that I didn't have a reasonable chance to beat one on one.  Also, when you get killed by another player, you don't have to run back to your body, so I'm not sure where you are getting that idea from. 

But yeah, ganking happens on open world PvP servers.  If you don't enjoy that kind of thing, that's fine.  But just don't act like what GW2 is giving you is an actual open world PvP setting.  Because it's not.  It's a nicely packaged, stress-free type of PvP that insulates players from true danger in the open world.  It's just a giant battleground.   

edit: I deleted my comment because I know you are pretty active at flaming and it does no good with your type. You win, you are the best. Have fun playing Tera and then coming here trashing GW2. 

Originally posted by Kelthius

From what I can see, at least people are evenly matched and it looks challenging, not ridiculous.  Tera's PvP is a joke when it's used like that, it's no better than Aion's and all the ganking was what killed the community.  Listen to these idiots laugh. At least in Tera's defense there are PvE servers, Aion didn't benefit from that.

Happens from time to time in open world PvP.  There are ways to avoid that kind of thing in TERA, and there are some negative consequences in place for those that wish to gank lower levels.  I'm on Basilisk Crag server on one of my characters, and have been ganked by a higher level character exactly ONCE since playing, and that occured on the third day of open beta.  Don't get me wrong, I've been ganked a few times, but not by anyone that I didn't have a reasonable chance to beat one on one.  Also, when you get killed by another player, you don't have to run back to your body, so I'm not sure where you are getting that idea from. 

GW2 never even came into my mind, my point was 100% about Tera (from that video) and how I feel in general about OWPVP.  If GW2 had the same kind of gear-dependent slaughterfests going on, I'd have a problem with it.  Also, it's not stress free for everyone.  Doing events in WvW when a gang of members of the other factions come riding over the hill is exciting, and depending on who you have with you, fun.  I love the fact that I'll never get one shotted by some asshole who had a bad day at work.  Even if GW2 had OWPVP, it would be challenging and not a foregone conclusion.  I think that's why so many OWPVP'ers want to see PvP servers.

From what I can see, at least people are evenly matched and it looks challenging, not ridiculous.  Tera's PvP is a joke when it's used like that, it's no better than Aion's and all the ganking was what killed the community.  Listen to these idiots laugh. At least in Tera's defense there are PvE servers, Aion didn't benefit from that.

Unfortunatly I think that video changed my mind into just playing the PvE server. What is sad it will hurt Tera in the long run because there is less content going PvE and others will more than likely choose the same path

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

That's why I don't like generalizations of OWPvP being bad. It's not all ganking lowbies. Sure, some people enjoy doing that but it's not like you're being ganked as a lowbie everytime you play the game. True PvPers like a fair fight. This is the kind of stuff that gets your heart pumping because you're actually risking something by being involved.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

ummmm there aren't factions.....so making an open world pvp server would be kinda pointless unless it was a two server super server and even then the complications are too numerous to count, this game was made to encourage community, the WvWvW is more than enough to satiate my open world pvp needs

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

That's why I don't like generalizations of OWPvP being bad. It's not all ganking lowbies. Sure, some people enjoy doing that but it's not like you're being ganked as a lowbie everytime you play the game. True PvPers like a fair fight. This is the kind of stuff that gets your heart pumping because you're actually risking something by being involved.

Yes, I realize generalizations are no good.  I actually had a few fun fights on my WoW PvP server, regardless of outcome - but only when the person was around my level, and in all the times I got into PvP in the open world, only rarely was the other person my level.  It's a case of "I did it because I can".  I zoned into the Dark Portal and there was a lvl 85 just waiting to one shot people.  *shrug*  Some people will inevitably spoil it for others.  It's stressful, and depressing to see people do this crap.  The only way to stop it is to remove the mechanic, which ANet has done.  Some people won't like it, but a lot of people will, OWPVP'ers are not the majority.  

However, I don't feel that makes the game "care bear".  If there's no chance to even get a hit in on one of these lopsided fights, I don't think they count towards a game being "hardcore".  And unlike PvE in most other MMOs nowadays, GW2's is actually challenging.  I think it rounds out nicely enough, the game will do well and there will always be plenty of people to play with, that's all I care about.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Ultima Online's PvP got your heart pumping because the game was full loot. Being a red PK was hard without a guild and most people did not run around PKing everyone in sight.

TERA is different. You're not really risking anything which basically promotes douchebag behavior. Like in that TERA video.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Maybe anet will consider adding pvp enabled servers at some point..

It would likely be very fun since lowbie ganking cant really take place in GW2...

Playing GW2..

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

This was during the time of Ultima Online, when MMORPGs were far more niche. People actually took their reputation fairly seriously, and there were far less douchebaggery going on. There was much more honor to it, and far more risk. I was a PK during the time I played. However, I did not grief players. I simply killed and moved on. I did not corpse camp and what not. However, with today's audience there would be far more griefing and such if given such a similar setting. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron