Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First metacritic rating up: 8.4/10

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

The first metacritic ratings are up, based on 4 critical reviews.  TERA is averaging 8.3/10.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tera

I'd give it 9/10 for a newly released MMO (although it had the advantage of a year out in Korea).  Only reason not a 10/10 is because there's no battlegrounds and more organized pvp.

I agree with the snippet from the guy from GamingXP:

TERA may not offer enough to dethrone World of Warcraft, but it is a wonderful game with a thrilling story and loads of action. Above all else the combat mechanics are a great innovation

Comments

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

WOW.... im not saying that tera isnt good, cause it is and like to play it for now but....

9/10? 10/10? NO WAY tera have lots of down sides not only the lack of a battleground....

If TERA was a game worth of 10/10 why would it fail in Korea???

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Not too shabby.  Don't care so much for the critics reveiews, however the user reviews are up there too.  There's a 133 of them so not bad for metacritic. 

inb4 post about how terrible metacritic is....(I don't think it's terrible, it is a somewhat useful tool imo)

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Originally posted by Worstluck

Not too shabby.  Don't care so much for the critics reveiews, however the user reviews are up there too.  There's a 133 of them so not bad for metacritic. 

inb4 post about how terrible metacritic is....(I don't think it's terrible, it is a somewhat useful tool imo)

Yeah I think it's useful too, even though one bad review or one good review can completely change the average on a game, which I think is kind of lame, especially when it isn't a very known source or has a bias view. But other than that I think it's nice to see brief reviews and an overall opinion on it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

WOW.... im not saying that tera isnt good, cause it is and like to play it for now but....

9/10? 10/10? NO WAY tera have lots of down sides not only the lack of a battleground....

yea no way in hell could I see this game as a 9/10 it has some shining moments but way to many shortfalls for me.. honestly I felt at launch SWTOR is a better game although I greatly dislike SWTOR overall at least it tried in the RPG side of things

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Man it should be great to be gifted with the divine power of the foresight.

I mean, i didnt had a clue that Yoda and Elrond gave up their lifes as Jedi Master and Elven Council Leader to review games. Im dazzled...and they are fast levelers also...man...this just gives me the chills....

Hey...wonder if Scott Bakula is playing it also??...

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Thats good news! :) 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Personally i find the lack of BG's a positive.

I agree on the 8.3 being a bit high.

The game has great combat, it looks good, the music is decent.  The dungeon boss fights are fun for everyone (dps doesnt just stand there and go through their rotation)  Bams are very fun and challanging to solo.

But thats its really.  This shows you the power of creating a fun and stable combat system FIRST then add to the game, rather than a lot of indy developers that creat so wonderful list of features but cant deliver the basics (earthrise and dawntide come to mind, as well as MO and Xyson).

People will play a cruddy game with fun combat.

Everything else related to the game is mediocre.

I just really want to stress the importance of a stable client and a smooth and fun combat system for the base of any indy game, people will support this so long as the wondful features and expanded game trickle in.

Personally i would take a full point off that score,mabey more, simply for:

#1 lack of variety.  Your class gets one weapon.  For a sorc its a disc that gets tossed around.  Getting new weapons offer a nominal and minute change in the weapon, and often you dont even realize there is a weapon involved.  Classes get like one weapon type.  theres no variety in that.  This goes for the classes...you glyph to add bonuses to the skills.  Theres no second class option to branch out from.  Theres no "tree" system to allow for some form of class variety.  This will reduce the long term playability.  They need more items and more looks as far as decent armor...theres no need for 10 diffrent types of junk armor no one will wear.

#2. Linear repetativeness.  One starting area, one path.  Not so good if you plan to reroll.  Given theres no real story line attached to the quests, they could easily plop a few diffrent maps from 1-40 and just fill with the same filler quests they have on the current path.  I wont kid that they should make some epic storyline that no one will read so why bother in a game like this.

#3Not catering to the pvp complaint crowd. I say that as a negative but they need to cater to these cry babies.  Give them their damn BG (which they will) and some other open world reasons to pvp.  There needs to be an endgame open world gimmick not just battlegrounds.

#4 No Guild content.  This will aid in #3 issue as well.  Theres no factions luckily, which opens the door to guild vs guild options that expand beyong the "see them gank them" guild wars.  I would LOVE for them to pepper the map with guild strongholds and do the whole guild seige thing

The lack of these system will hurt long term playability.  They have the fun functional and stable combat which is the best way to start a game as an indy developer.  Now they need to add some content and keep the players they have.

Right now i would give the game 6.9/10 with 6.5 of those points for the fun combat system and the spare change from a nice world to look at.  This game has a long way to go but its built on a great foundation, something most indy games will never have without a complete scrapping of their game and a redo.

Its still a good buy if your thirsting for something other than tab target rotations. Its a pretty solid game to play casually.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

People already explained why it flopped there in another thread.  It wasn't complete at release.

Besides obviously the east and west have different tastes.  Just because something did poorly over there doesn't mean it will here.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Thats good news! :) 

We'll see what the player critic score is like once the haters on this forum read this thread lol.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I wish they would've focused more on open world PvE which would've naturally led to owPvP. Linear questing to max level and then grinding out instances dungeons repetitively isn't my idea of fun. I just can't do the treadmill gear grind anymore.
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

wait so for SWToR you couldnt trust the critics but now all of a sudden you can?  This community is a bunch of hypocrites.

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

People already explained why it flopped there in another thread.  It wasn't complete at release.

Besides obviously the east and west have different tastes.  Just because something did poorly over there doesn't mean it will here.

I agree with u on this.

I just think that a game with so many down sides does not deserve a perfect 10 or something close to it.

and again i enjoy playing tera and i am currently paying it at least for now

I agree with u on this.

I just think that a game with so many down sides does not deserve a perfect 10 or something close to it.

Well, I'm not sure what down sides you're talking about.  The things the guy in this thread listed are fairly minor if you ask me, although I do agree that there should be more organized pvp.  I too would love to see raids on guild houses but I don't think we'll see that for awhile.  Battlegrounds are coming at some point.

I'm just not sure what it would take to get a 9 or 10 out of 10 from critics (besides fans like me).  WoW constantly gets them handed to them but they haven't improved the genre for a long time.  This game has everything WoW has (minus battlegrounds, raids and Arena), but it's way more fun to play and it looks tons better.  

Originally posted by teakbois

wait so for SWToR you couldnt trust the critics but now all of a sudden you can?  This community is a bunch of hypocrites.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people that will come in this thread and say metacritic is crap.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by teakbois

I'm sure there will be plenty of people that will come in this thread and say metacritic is crap.

Metacritic "is" crap.

I agree with u on this.

Well, I'm not sure what down sides you're talking about.  The things the guy in this thread listed are fairly minor if you ask me, although I do agree that there should be more organized pvp.  I too would love to see raids on guild houses but I don't think we'll see that for awhile.  Battlegrounds are coming at some point.

I'm just not sure what it would take to get a 9 or 10 out of 10 from critics (besides fans like me).  WoW constantly gets them handed to them but they haven't improved the genre for a long time.  This game has everything WoW has (minus battlegrounds, raids and Arena), but it's way more fun to play and it looks tons better.  

I think that if the quests from tera werent all so linear like kill X of Y or delivery this to that NPC, i think it would make its score rise up significantly.

I agree with u on this.

I think that if the quests from tera werent all so linear like kill X of Y or delivery this to that NPC, i think it would make its score rise up significantly.

Yeah, but every mmo is like that.  So it's hard for me to say that's a negative.  It's pretty much par for the course.  However, the action combat makes those quests way more bareable to the point of actually being fun.

I guess everyone thinks questing is a thing of the past because of GW2, but it remains to be seen if the "triggering event" idea works, and the game doesn't have a release date, so it will be a long time until we see if it works or not.  I'm skeptical because I played Warhammer and the idea is a lot like the PQ system, which worked if there was a lot of people around and didn't work otherwise.  Questing is a proven way that works for MMOs, and I think the variety in the quests in TERA are as good if not better than most.

Besides, you can always just solo BAMs, or do groups for BAMs for xp if you really didn't want to quest.  Or just run dungeons often.

This comes up a lot on this site about TERA.  I don't remember other games getting bashed as much for having quests that basically go tell you to kill x of whatever (which is basically every MMO).

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Hahaha @ innovation. No, just no.

The game will keep casual gamers happy for a few months, much like SWTOR, then everyone will realise how boring it is and move on. Pretty graphics and pedobear avatars only go so far.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Metacritic gave SWTOR an 8.5

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

I agree with u on this.

Yeah, but every mmo is like that.  So it's hard for me to say that's a negative.  It's pretty much par for the course.  However, the action combat makes those quests way more bareable to the point of actually being fun.

I guess everyone thinks questing is a thing of the past because of GW2, but it remains to be seen if the "triggering event" idea works, and the game doesn't have a release date, so it will be a long time until we see if it works or not.  I'm skeptical because I played Warhammer and the idea is a lot like the PQ system, which worked if there was a lot of people around and didn't work otherwise.  Questing is a proven way that works for MMOs, and I think the variety in the quests in TERA are as good if not better than most.

Besides, you can always just solo BAMs, or do groups for BAMs for xp if you really didn't want to quest.  Or just run dungeons often.

This comes up a lot on this site about TERA.  I don't remember other games getting bashed as much for having quests that basically go tell you to kill x of whatever (which is basically every MMO).

GW2 have an interestnig way for players to do quests and interect with the world if tera had that it would be amazing !

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

It deserves an extra point for its innovative breast physics.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Thanes

It deserves an extra point for its innovative breast physics.

I'll give them that, it's like a Helium Jelly Implant.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Too early for a review. Poltical System & Nexuses comming in a couple of weeks.

• beb2592beb2592 Member UncommonPosts: 61

Might be a little bit early for a review... Hopefully other reviews will be giving it good scores and the word gets spread that this is actually a fun game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by beb2592

Might be a little bit early for a review... Hopefully other reviews will be giving it good scores and the word gets spread that this is actually a fun game.

The end result is going to be the same.  It will score well like every other MMO, but it will have little to no bearing on its success or failure.  Seriously, what MMO has scored badly with the critics on Meta?  Even the failed ones got good scores..