Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why a sub fee?

TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

Don't developers realize that sub fees are obsolete? 

I predict Tera going F2P with p2w cash shop in 1 year. Or something close to Rift's Lite. Or warhammers thing.

-I am here to perform logic

Comments

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Maybe after reading your post they will realize and make it free 2 play.

Luckily due to your prediction you will eventually be able to play it without a sub fee!

NICE.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

y kant peeps just maek free stuff 4 me?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Theonenoni

I predict Tera going F2P with p2w cash shop in 1 year. Or something close to Rift's Lite. Or warhammers thing.

so... it shouldn't be p2p because you don't like it. but if it goes with f2p it becomes a p2w, and you don't like it. huh. well, i'm sure the devs will stay up at night fretting about how to curry your favor.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I like the sub fee.  I refuse to play any mmorpg that has a cash shop. 

IF TERA goes free to play....I am outa here.

and

You can have my stuff

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

To keep people like you away from the game, and its working magic right now.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Here we go again: P. Each and every developer does a lot of research before picking the right business model that works for them the best, and it's not an easy decision to make. You should seriously do some research before posting things like that, maybe take an entrepreneurial studies course? : P But, since it is pretty clear that the OP is a troll, I am not going to waste my time explaining to you on how/why certain business decisions are made.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The new sub fee pricing model is to start with a sub fee to try and grab as much cash as possible until your sub numbers fall too low to justify the price, then switch to a F2P model and double your player base and revenue stream.

The industry is learning well from LOTRO, AoC, DDO, AION, etc.

Yes, there is a VERY good reason they started with a sub fee - because in the short term people are willing to pay it.

Short term sub fee moving to long term f2p w/ cash shop is the new hotness.

The only company who seems to refuse this new model is EA, who still charge a sub fee for UO and DAOC last time I checked, and will continue charging a sub fee for TOR for as long as the possibly can.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Originally posted by outfctrl

and

You can have my stuff

Tera has a cash shop.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I would much rather play a game with a sub fee than those without provided there's no cash shop as well. Then at least everyone is on the same level. Then also everyone is forced to support the developer who then has funds for more content and new products.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Rumors about the demise of the P2P payment model have been greatly exaggerated.

I agree, TERA will end up F2P one day, but not after they've collected subs for a set period of time, which is the payment model/plan most titles shoot for these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Originally posted by BadSpock

The new sub fee pricing model is to start with a sub fee to try and grab as much cash as possible until your sub numbers fall too low to justify the price, then switch to a F2P model and double your player base and revenue stream.

Yes, there is a VERY good reason they started with a sub fee - because in the short term people are willing to pay it.

The only company who seems to refuse this new model is EA, who still charge a sub fee for UO and DAOC last time I checked, and will continue charging a sub fee for TOR for as long as the possibly can.

If the company does not initially develop a MMO with a cash shop strategy in place, it will cost the company a lot of money to implement such a system later on. By undergoing a drastic change to the company’s business model, will also increase the risks for that company. Risks such as, losing a large number of their current subscription customers (customer retention) , loss in customer loyalty and it will affect them negatively, when they plan to undertake a new venture, the extra costs associated with implementing the new system, change in the targeted market could have negative ramification to the company, etc. The company also needs to be lucky, and if not many people liked the game in the first place, even if they do go F2P, they would not make much money.

The risks associated with a move like this could lead the company into bankruptcy and loss of investors. You need to have a lot of luck in order to pull something like this off. So, the best thing a company can do is by having a fully functional cash shop already integrated into the game when it launches. By doing this the company will have a higher chance of retaining their customer base than introducing major changes later on.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

P2P all the way

the community is just great now

And with company like EME doing great things and listening the players im good

If they will go f2p and have shitty community (like yourself) and cash shops im out of the game.

You have a prob with p2p then get a job and stop crying but seriously my opnion...stay the fck out of this game

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

This is one mmo that i'm willing to pay the sub fee....nowadays it's hard to come by

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

Ouch thats hurtful words. All i was saying is that B2P would have been acceptable.   If you think P2P makes a good community you are definitely wrong because  with you all saying stay the fuck out of my game.    Sounds like P2P people have so much anger. I guess its all built up from paying a fee for no reason. 

-I am here to perform logic

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Sub fee or not I really don't care, just stay away from P2W.

That being said, i'll gladly pay a sub fee for TERA as it stands right now.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Kyleran

I agree, TERA will end up F2P one day, but not after they've collected subs for a set period of time, which is the payment model/plan most titles shoot for these days.

Don't know where you're seeing them exaggerated.

Less and less games are being released with a sub. With the slew of MMOs failing to hold public interest, there's really no puzzle as to why. It's already been proven that  F2P games are actually capable of generating more revenue on average than P2P. As BadSpock said, it's usually the larger AAA mmos that start out w/ a sub, because they know they can grab a lot of cash from the initial release that way, and then switch to a F2P model later.

To stick w/ a sub, this game will have to keep churning out content to justify the price, and it's already missing features.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by Istavaan

Originally posted by outfctrl

and

You can have my stuff

Tera has a cash shop.

You keep saying this in every posts and I keep saying you it's not true. Are you just trolling or are you a pathological liar?

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Kyleran

Don't know where you're seeing them exaggerated.

Less and less games are being released with a sub. With the slew of MMOs failing to hold public interest, there's really no puzzle as to why. It's already been proven that  F2P games are actually capable of generating more revenue on average than P2P. As BadSpock said, it's usually the larger AAA mmos that start out w/ a sub, because they know they can grab a lot of cash from the initial release that way, and then switch to a F2P model later.

To stick w/ a sub, this game will have to keep churning out content to justify the price, and it's already missing features.

there never have been a great amount of sub games, and recently few older sub game have gone F2P all after over 3 years of P2P doesn't mean every other P2P now will turn F2P in less than a month. Maybe 3+ years later but not 1year or 6 month.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Because that's how they make money and cover costs?

I hope it doesn't become obsolete.  If it's an MMO I like (like TERA), I get a lot for my 15 bucks a month.  

Once something goes ftp, it often ends up more expensive if you want to be competative and see all the content.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

no subs fees are not...

I hope all main steam MMOS keep sub fees and stay away from cash shops..

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Keep the sub.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

I play TERA, and I like the game. It has a cash shop of sorts... You pay money for a Chronoscroll. The cronoscroll is claimed by your character and you can use this, which will automatically add 30 days to your subscription. The Cronoscroll is tradeable, and players will have the ability to put this on the broker for the desired amount of gold.

This is has been stated to be like a security measure against RMT. NA still does not have this enabled, but it will in the future.

The myth is that F2P is free. It is meant to confuse the simpler folk that play games. F2P is anything but free. There are usually items that are beneficial and debatably "needed" in game for the best experience. For example, items that prevent your weapons and armors from breaking upon upgrade attempts, content that is locked unless you pay for it, or like in GW2's case, the remaining bag slots & optimal storage bags.

Pay 2 Win is very closely associated with any game that does not carry a subscription fee as in one way or another there is a better experience in game if you dish out money, as opposed to if you don't. Let me repeat this, as some people will jump over it: BETTER IF YOU DISH OUT MONEY. For some reason the GW2 fans seem to think the rest of us are idiots and don't know that through much grinding you can get Gems to get these same items in game, but obviously its better (quicker) if you dish out the money now, rather than grind for months to get the Gems needed (Lockboxes carry one or 2 gems, and to get $1.00 worth of coins you will have to farm for a very long time, in addition to being very lucky on getting the keys for said lockboxes, which conviniently are also in the cash shop.)

In GW2's case they are very obviously double dipping. Not only are they running on the F2P umbrella, but they also charge you for the initial purchase. They have also done some pretty neat accounting tricks: They have made it so that if you want to outfit your characters with bag slots and the bags to fill these, you will end up paying UP FRONT, what most modern day MMOs will charge you for a year of playing. (Go do the math, its great.) Since many subscription based games are being played for a few months, and then a good portion of their playerbase jumps ship, this method ensures that they get to suck the cash out of the initial pull, and would have to care less if you leave their game afterwards. To top this off, the core playerbase that enjoys their game and will stay for the long haul will still be there at the end of year and will still be there to hand them more money when they develop the next few expansions and costumes and, get this: New character slots, where they can get charged for the bags and slots all over again.

So, to the OP, please go troll someplace else, we can see past your attempt at discrediting this game. It suits our needs well, and obviously GW2 will suit your needs as well. Hope you enjoy your non-subscription based (and currently non-optimized) game. *Yes, that was a burn, I know these things have to be explained*. ^_^

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

It all depends, if they implement all the PVP stuff they promised some time ago (and it works) I think they have a chance to retain subscriptions and gain new ones. If not, well, F2P would be a good idea... not a bad thing though.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Because paying a sub fee (.50 cents a day) is far less than what a person will spend in a so called F2P game.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by BadSpock

Thats it !

I totally agree with ya

almost every game developers are like money money money !!