Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Message to Zenimax

KailashKailash Member UncommonPosts: 301

I recently sent this to Zenimax studios. Please send your concerns as well to Zenimax about their upcoming MMO. I'm sure it is too late for them to make any dramatic changes, but I hope they take this into concideration all the same.

I have enjoyed the Elders Scrolls Franchise since Morrowinds release. To this day, I enjoy the freedom and the ingenious formula your games have provided us in the world of Elders Scrolls. I believe most of your fan-base enjoys precisely the same qualities I buy your games for. But, after some  of the information that has released, I am concerned about the route you have taken with this MMORPG.

When people think Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim, they instantly equate the name with freedom, open world (sandbox), and of course story. Bethesda should stick to this formula to attract the fan-base it worked so hard to acquire. The masses especially now are looking for a fresh and innovative feel to there MMOs. I have played about 80% of all North American released MMOs and all major releases within the last 2 decades. Within this decade, the MMO genre has turned from a niche, into a household name.

World of Warcraft is the reason for the increased popularity in the genre. Every MMO since World of Warcraft has tried and failed at copying its formula. They haven't failed because the games were dramatically flawed, lets not forget that World of Warcraft was extremely flawed on release, they failed because of one issue, they tried to make a similar product that would compete with something that has been perfected over multiple years. Ill give you a simple example, If Ford decided to make a Porsche 911 with all the features that it has in it, they would fail because Porsche has been perfecting its design for 30 years.

As you may know, trust, especially in an economic downturn is paramount in business. People will feel more obliged to purchase a product if they know that the previous product was satisfactory. The bestselling Elders Scrolls Skyrim (and before that Oblivion) was released, many game websites and players alike gave rave reviews. Because of this, the future Elders Scrolls game will no doubt sell well.

My message is simple, Zenimax/Bethesda has the brain capacity and the fan base to create not only a long lasting (most profitable) MMO, but also create a MMO that can be remembered and admired for decades to come. Don't let greed destroy what so many companies wish they had, a company name which corresponds to excellence and a fan base that looks forward to every game that it releases.

Comments

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

That's nice and all.  I hate to break it to you though, Bethesda is not developing the game.  Zenimax Online is developing the game. 

EDIT:  LInk for some info about Zenimax Online Studios http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeniMax_Online_Studios

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by Worstluck

That's nice and all.  I hate to break it to you though, Bethesda is not developing the game.  Zenimax Online is developing the game. 

This made me lol. xD

• KailashKailash Member UncommonPosts: 301

Yea well because Zenimax owns Bethesda I suppose they have the power to aquire any one of the people working at Bethesda at will.

Originally posted by Kailash

Yea well because Zenimax owns Bethesda I suppose they have the power to aquire any one of the people working at Bethesda at will.

Zenimax Online Studios are a subsidary of Zenimax as is Bethesda Softworks.  For all intents and purposes, they are completely separate entities, that create different types of games.  Zenimax of course owns the intellectual property for The Elder Scrolls, however that does not mean Bethesda Game Studios has anything to do with the development of Elder Scrolls Online.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Zenimax Online Studios are a subsidary of Zenimax as is Bethesda Softworks.  For all intents and purposes, they are completely separate entities, that create different types of games.  Zenimax of course owns the intellectual property for The Elder Scrolls, however that does not mean Bethesda Game Studios has anything to do with the development of Elder Scrolls Online.

And all sides have made it perfectly clear..... the only involvement Bethesda Game Studios has is consulting on lore accuracy.  Other than that, they have nothing to do with this game.  I used to say what Worstluck was saying, until you actually read what both subsidaries are saying.  Simply put, bethesda's involvement in this game is near zero.

Originally posted by iceman00

And all sides have made it perfectly clear..... the only involvement Bethesda Game Studios has is consulting on lore accuracy.  Other than that, they have nothing to do with this game.  I used to say what Worstluck was saying, until you actually read what both subsidaries are saying.  Simply put, bethesda's involvement in this game is near zero.

In all honestly I believe they want it that way.  I believe the Elder Scrolls Online deviates from thier formula of open world classless games for a reason.  Zenimax wants Bethesda to continue to make their single player rpgs open world, while having the online version more restrictive, thereby drawing a different type of gamer.  

Why would Zenimax ruin what they have going with Skryim?  If they released a Morriwind/Oblivion/Skyrim Online, what incentive we would have to purchse the single player verion of the game?  None really.  It makes sense if you think about it.  I would love an open world, classless MMO with the ES lore, however I also love my single player ES games and want them to keep making them.  Just my opinions of course.

• KailashKailash Member UncommonPosts: 301

Yes I agree especially after hearing what happened with this MMO. Someone needs to make sure  Fallout 4 will be good :)

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Dear Zenimax,

Stop pimping the Elder Scroll name and simply call this DAOC 2.  

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

My message to Zenimax:

BAH, HUMBUG!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think it will be a great game, it will be guild wars 2 done right.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Guild Wars 2 Done right would be Guild Wars 2.  TESO will be an epic failure of the WAR or AoC Failure. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by iceman00

In all honestly I believe they want it that way.  I believe the Elder Scrolls Online deviates from thier formula of open world classless games for a reason.  Zenimax wants Bethesda to continue to make their single player rpgs open world, while having the online version more restrictive, thereby drawing a different type of gamer.  

Why would Zenimax ruin what they have going with Skryim?  If they released a Morriwind/Oblivion/Skyrim Online, what incentive we would have to purchse the single player verion of the game?  None really.  It makes sense if you think about it.  I would love an open world, classless MMO with the ES lore, however I also love my single player ES games and want them to keep making them.  Just my opinions of course.

They should've made a different IP than the Elder Scrolls lore.  TES VI (and cmon, there will be one!) will have to be what Morrowind was when it came out to overcome the PR black eye.  People will think TES and think ESO.  While it won't be completely reliant on it, the success of the franchise will be dependent on what ESO does.

Honestly, I'm hoping the criticism on this will be so negative the game folds or they are forced to do some serious re-modeling before launch.  GW2 didn't generate all the hype it gets by imitating other games.  (Jury is still out whether it will live up anywhere near it, but for the moment immaterial.)  They actually broke some different ground.

ESO basically copies the three faction stuff from GW2, and every other themepark aspect from WoW

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

it might actually work out better. I can see it now:

'Sir the CEO of Zenimax is online for you'

'Hello?'

'Yes we have been recieving a lot of email about TES Online it appears a lot people dont like it we are coming over for a visit'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Guild Wars 2 Done right would be Guild Wars 2.  TESO will be an epic failure of the WAR or AoC Failure. 

You've made a ton of assumptions in only two sentences.  Well done.