Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battle Fever

LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I have noticed some people complaining about the chaotic nature of battle in Guild Wars 2, and I wanted to provide my take on it.

There is this concept that is mentioned in stories of all stripes, called (by me at least), battle fever. The idea that in the heat of battle, things are chaotic and it's every man for himself in a way, and every man trying to save everyone else's life in another sense. It's fast and brutal and hard to know exactly what's happening or why. The adrenalin pumps and time slows and you gain a clarity through the chaos that lets you focus on what needs to be done, and see the battlefield as more than just a series of explosions and clashing swords and powerful magic (or gunfire and bombs in the real world and modern stories, but this is a fantasy game). You see things in greater detail and can focus in on your enemy. The pace and the fury overcome you, and you are part of the battle, not an individual in the same sense as your would expect.

I'd never played a game that game me this feeling I have seen described so many times until Guild Wars 2. It's always a mindless zergfest on one end, or a precise numbers game with not real skill needed on the other end. It never felt like battle, where skill matters, but the heat and chaos affect you personally as well, when everyone is fighting for their lives and everyone elses, and where a split-second decision can save your life or kill everyone.

Guild Wars 2 made me feel this, especially in PvP, and I think that is a triumph.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

Comments

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

People complaining about battle chaos in a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG is like complaining there's too much crowd in a main street. One of those nonsense MMO beta complains that just wanna make you /facepalm.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

The arguments about zerg fests are stupid.  Let's take the other example and see if it's anymore fun, dynamic, or realistic: A group of people led by one in heavy armor who shouts at monsters so that they all attack him, while another person who is clearly keeping the battle going, is left alone and 3 others manage the task of simply beating on said monsters with little to no reprisal unless the first person stops shouting.  

Clear, strategic, organized.

And unrealistic and IMO, boring.

People who are so afraid of a little chaos are petrified of not knowing where every stat point is being used or every skill's cooldown is strategically placed.  There have been games like that coming out for YEARS, there's plenty of choice and people need to stop bitching.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I have to agree with the OP, i felt the chaos of the PvP and it sucked me in.

Lolipops !

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

well that's what the red circle is for i found it stood out just fine i knew what i was targeting and that's all you need in the choas people need to learn to focus.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I had this in all the mmo i pvped in honestly. I don't think GW2 have it more or something.

Learning to deal with this feeling is definilty something you have to learn to get better.

That aspect got me a lot more in Spvp that in WvW though. In spvp i really felt like a spasmodic monkey that have no clue what he is doing and felt stupid quiet a few time tbh. In WvW i really felt in my element though even under heavy aoe showers, i went right inside or deep into the zerg and came back quiet a few time, and had pretty much no problem at all with that, but i played a lot more open world pvp games than arena type of pvp though, so its probably because of that.

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

In the north part of the Norn starter area ther eis this DE that runs about an hour long. I found the chaos of battle to be very emersive so much so that I am at a lose to describ it but will try.

No more do I have to move here or there stand still and spam keys. NOW my survival is totally dependant on spoting MOB ques and moving out of the way or using a skill to interupt the mob. MY SURVIVAL is totally dependant on my actions and mine alone. I found this form of combat to be invigorating in a way I aave never experienced before in a game.

I never relized until this moment jsut how much I really disliked the form of combat offered in previous game with the holy trinity tank, heal, dps.

Having my own well being up to my decisions was so liberating. Knowing that I could leave any time I liked was really cool also. Some people were do caught up in this DE that even after all their gear broke and they were running about naked they continued to help by reviving fallen comrads .... that was awesome too.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by Exterminos

well that's what the red circle is for i found it stood out just fine i knew what i was targeting and that's all you need in the choas people need to learn to focus.

I agree with you sir.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Thanks guys all you have done with this thread is made me have a new round of GW2 withdrawal symptoms..

I couldnt have said any of the above mentioned goodnesses any better...sigh

Playing GW2..