Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"DAoC was THE BEST"

ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

I don't disagree with the statement,just wondering,if it is so great,why aren't you playing it?It is still there.

Comments

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

as u said, it WAS....

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

They screwed it up. Trials of Atlantis. Everyone got tired and left. End of story. Same thing as UO and Trammel. Done.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

My first MMO. Man I miss it.

Also you be surprised how many people still play it. The new age of MMO players dont play it because they believe graphics > gameplay which is not true.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It was the best at its time, way more fun than EQ, and nicer community. It still has one of the two best pvp systems, along with eve (no gw2 isn't better)
    But....
    It's looking old
    The UI is very clunky
    They added pve grind (though its not as bad as some make out)
    EA don't support it (like all their other mmos) - so good luck with reporting cheats and what have you

The lack of support is the main thing, EA just don't support mmos, expect swtor to go into "storage" by the years end.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Originally posted by ShakyMo

It was the best at its time, way more fun than EQ, and nicer community. It still has one of the two best pvp systems, along with eve (no gw2 isn't better)

But....

It's looking old

The UI is very clunky

They added pve grind (though its not as bad as some make out)

EA don't support it (like all their other mmos) - so good luck with reporting cheats and what have you

The lack of support is the main thing, EA just don't support mmos, expect swtor to go into "storage" by the years end.

If its as bad as when TOA came out, yes its as bad as people make it out to be. 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

TOA took a pvp rvr game that people worked towards and shoved in a bucket load of complicated staged chapter PvE that some elements required raid groups, once the main crowd had done it, no one did it again.  Not to mention it added in some overpowered pve gained spells into pvp.

The problem was that the community left the game never to return and the community of this game was crucial for realm pride and successful guilds. The previous expansion, Shrouded Isles was quite awesome though.

Finally there is absolutely no point in playing an mmorpg game EA have old of, they are all about profit and zero about community which is an essential core to an online game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

The DAOC I knew and enjoyed no longer exists (pre TOA, pre new frontiers) as well as the FFA PVP server Mordred is RIP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126

1) Population.

2) My Classic servers are gone.

3)EA.

Liked ToA but didnt love it and was happier playing on Classic.

Going back into Thidranki every now and then is still the most fun I have in pvp. The RvR in DaoC was and still is second to none imo.

• jgagliano09jgagliano09 Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by jgagliano09

Come back to DAoC, it hasnt gone anywhere.

[mod edit]

If you talk about missing DAoC, come back to it! It's free for the first 2-3 weeks and the game+expansions are FREE.  If you enjoy after the 2 weeks, its $15 a month, which a game itself these days is $60 easily. I've been back for a month and its so much more active then I thought it would be. 

The game has done a great job in transforming due to low populations.  There is ONE big server which I feel like is pretty well populated.  But anyways, they have done an amazing job by bridging the gap between turning fresh greenhorn players into battle ready veterans.  It much easier to get to lv 50, and the easiest way is through good old fashion BG rvr. Even when you get to lv 50, its easy to get good armor.

If you say you miss it do something about it and come back for free.  Daoc's number one selling point is the the social experience and the more people the better the game becomes.

I'm having a great time. If you come back and your an Alb message me. Xandecrews lv 50 paladin

I had a 50 alb paladin long ago, I had so much fun playing him and remeber it was hard leveling back then. I would like to give it a try again. Downloading now, but I forgot all my old account info so had to make a new one.

Fearum, literally I was in your same position a couple weeks ago. I had forgotten my account, opened a new one and had 2 or 3 free weeks of play.  After that I was more then willing to play haha. From lv 1-10 you go through a tutorial in a "new" sorta instance in which it gives you the basics of how to play and just a good overall experience to get back into the game. 

Practically everywhere in game are these blue robed casters who will port you literally wherever you want to go. My favorite is the in the middle of cotswald village. After lv 10+ go to the BG's and you can complete various kill tasks including some PVP quests, its the fastest way to level and it goes extremely quick. There is some action in BGs depending which ones they are, so you can stick around and pvp or just go to the next BG. After lv 50, you usually go to Atlantis and do these "glass quests" which you can use to purchase ML and artifacts. There are always groups running them and their super easy.

If you make an alb message me: Xandercrews 50 pally, Rikosuave 25 cleric, Skaband 35 mins, Jutebox 25 infil

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by jgagliano09 

Fearum, literally I was in your same position a couple weeks ago. I had forgotten my account, opened a new one and had 2 or 3 free weeks of play.  After that I was more then willing to play haha. From lv 1-10 you go through a tutorial in a "new" sorta instance in which it gives you the basics of how to play and just a good overall experience to get back into the game. 

Practically everywhere in game are these blue robed casters who will port you literally wherever you want to go. My favorite is the in the middle of cotswald village. After lv 10+ go to the BG's and you can complete various kill tasks including some PVP quests, its the fastest way to level and it goes extremely quick. There is some action in BGs depending which ones they are, so you can stick around and pvp or just go to the next BG. After lv 50, you usually go to Atlantis and do these "glass quests" which you can use to purchase ML and artifacts. There are always groups running them and their super easy.

If you make an alb message me: Xandercrews 50 pally, Rikosuave 25 cleric, Skaband 35 mins, Jutebox 25 infil

The first PVP dungeon is accessible from the tutorial; be careful which exit you use, because you can exit the tutorial zone as well. Not a big problem really: if you are not too high level yet, you can be teleported back into the tutorial. Toward the end, the tutorial will provide a full set of gear, so don't duck out too soon.

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

every expansion made the game worse instead of making it better.

• CrowkillCrowkill Member Posts: 8

I've been playing DAoC since launch. While i believe ToA added things i didn't enjoy at firsteach expansion has added a new element to the PvP gameplay. Now you can buy all your ToA/Dragon items with easily farmable loot which you can even get from RvR by taking keep in the frontiers. I personally believe New Frontiers is better that Old Frontiers just by keep design alone.

The game is still going very stong with new players joining and old players returning everyday. If you left because of ToA i recommend trying it now. Oh and for a good video of some DAoC 8v8 try this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVAh4pr1-88

Glory to Midgard!

P.S. 

here is a good video that outlines the differences between DAoC and other games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D_1Hy2Mbxs

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414
    It was the best because it had the best PVP and lore. I personally loved the PVE and classes.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• FishuFishu Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Wicoa

TOA took a pvp rvr game that people worked towards and shoved in a bucket load of complicated staged chapter PvE that some elements required raid groups, once the main crowd had done it, no one did it again.  Not to mention it added in some overpowered pve gained spells into pvp.

The problem was that the community left the game never to return and the community of this game was crucial for realm pride and successful guilds. The previous expansion, Shrouded Isles was quite awesome though.

Finally there is absolutely no point in playing an mmorpg game EA have old of, they are all about profit and zero about community which is an essential core to an online game.

Trials of Atlantis was not that bad.  The death of Daoc was a sum of thing. The release of WoW in 2004 , New frontier and buffbot.  Now Daoc is just a shell of his former Glory. People just does not care anymore because it`s old. So who  really want to  put time and effort into something archaic that can be vaporware at any moment ?  Nobody.

Sure they did a lot of shallow thing to the game. With questing and exping being so easy now. Daoc was daoc because of the community. Because each realm felt like a family and I personnaly remember most of the ''important'  name in my server . Being vinted by a group to kill Salisbury giants and chilling for hours. Especially Midgard Gawaine. Was like a brotherhood. Now people want to log at any time and always progress. So they add DE,Quest and vista and whatever . So you always have soemthing that the game throw at you. Because human being and socializing suck.

GW2  feel so superficial. It`s great for the current generation I guess.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Deleted User

I don't disagree with the statement,just wondering,if it is so great,why aren't you playing it?It is still there.

1) Been there, played that (for many years).

2) The people I played with no longer play.

3) General hatred of EA and Mythic after WAR and SWTOR.

4) They're still charging the same monthly sub fee that a brand new state-of-the-art AAA MMO charges for a game that came out in 2001 and hasn't had a retail expansion since 2006.

5) The game has been in maintenance mode for years with little development or support.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

I am still playing. Logged off last night, one of the best RvR nights i've had. Was 2 hours of 16(ish)v16(ish). Us on our hibs, constantly getting into with Albs (Smakish's grp for any who care). Was non-stop fun. Won a lot, lost a few, gained a ton of RP's.

To anyone who thinks old frontiers was superior, doesn't remember all of its problems. The keeps were dinky, could PBAoE through walls, LoS issues, just riddled with fail. NF only has a couple of tiny problems (certain positions you can get an interupt inside a keep). 

ToA is a great part of the game now, and actualy isn't as needed as it used to be at the same time. I make all my own Templates, and used 1 artifact on my latest Hero temp, but used 5 on my latest bard temp (LOVE it btw). Arties are simple to get now, easy to level (45 minutes cause I know a good place) and temps are easy to come by. You can re-make a toon, and get him competetive in a week or two. At max level that is. 

People say it WAS the best, well what "dethroned" it? The PvP is better, the CC isn't as bad as it was 5 years ago. it's more balanced in terms of classes. Sure you'll get the "Warlocks are bullsh!t", "Theurgs need nerfs", "Hib casters base-line stun is BS" but every realm has their ups and downs. It's balanced, it's fair, it's kicking ass, and I can't wait to play later tonight.

To me, no other game gives that roaming PvP that DAoC does, coming voer a hill to see 100+ albs laying seige to a keep, and turning to run away as 10 people, then not even 20 seconds later you're in a fight with another 8 man. No other game gives me the randomness feeling DAoC does, it's like rolling dice on every turn. What's around that corner? 

Maybe i'm stuck in the "old days" (heck i'm can't even legally drink), but I stuck with the game through its lows (ToA and when EA took over), and it's on a high. Having more fun in the last 2 months then I think I ever have.

Anywho, /rant off, and if anyone wants to try it out again, and decides on a Hib, look for this username in game. More then happy to help a new/returning player to the glory of the game. But if you're not a Hib, I will kill you in NF many many times.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    There was talk of a DAoC classic server being made... that seems to have died a quiet death :(

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Fishu
    Originally posted by Wicoa

Trials of Atlantis was not that bad.  The death of Daoc was a sum of thing. The release of WoW in 2004 , New frontier and buffbot.  Now Daoc is just a shell of his former Glory. People just does not care anymore because it`s old. So who  really want to  put time and effort into something archaic that can be vaporware at any moment ?  Nobody.

Sure they did a lot of shallow thing to the game. With questing and exping being so easy now. Daoc was daoc because of the community. Because each realm felt like a family and I personnaly remember most of the ''important'  name in my server . Being vinted by a group to kill Salisbury giants and chilling for hours. Especially Midgard Gawaine. Was like a brotherhood. Now people want to log at any time and always progress. So they add DE,Quest and vista and whatever . So you always have soemthing that the game throw at you. Because human being and socializing suck.

GW2  feel so superficial. It`s great for the current generation I guess.

This is the truth of it, DAoC was during a golden age of mmorpg's, now the attitude of gamers has changed dramatically and games are aimed at millions of potential players instead of a few thousand.

There will never be another community like there was in the early mmorpg's, DAoC in particular had an amazing community of friendship, realm pride and competitive enemies. The smack talk on the forums was great fun, heroes rose up, guilds established themselves and ran for years, not days or months as is the current trend.

This is why GW2 fails miserably, no-one gives a crap about their server, players just migrate to the one that wins the most, it's all about themselves and occasionally their guild.

For Hibernia megameights!! :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• RodzillaRodzilla Member UncommonPosts: 159
     by far the best mmo ive ever played.

searching for the next DAoC....

Kay-exile

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Rodzilla  by far the best mmo ive ever played.

I agree. Pre- ToA Daoc were the best, most exciting years I've had in an mmorpg. The people of the Guinevere server were the best community as well, all three sides. Long live old schoolers from Guinevere...errmm especially we from Midgard :-)

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

Played from closed beta until just before the housing patch. It was the best the genre had to offer at that point, and you still can't get those huge RvR battles between 3 factions, with no class being shared between them anywhere else.

There was a series of questionable balancing decisions, the horrible GUI, a grindfest of PvE, and TOA to hammer the last nail in. Advertised as a "sidegrades with no real impact in RvR", it ofc forced the RvR crew to grind PvE content again to stay competitive.  And then WoW and Guild Wars were released.

Oh, and it's really easy to spot DAoC crafters in RL: It's the ones in the hardware store shouting profanities at the hinges.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    funny everyone blames ToA for ruining the game, especially with the gear treadmill, yet look how many of you overlap with the TESO homers. it's literally just DAoC faction setup with most other design in common with GW2 and ToA gear grind built into the game from the start.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No mmo since has perfected the balance of pve content vs pvp content. It's the last mmo I can think of that catered equally well to both player groups.
  • Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Good game, but i could never get past the buff bots.

A shame really.

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Daoc was my frist mmo , played on and off for over 7 years i really disliked Toa but the final straw was when theY changed  the way archery worked to a semi magic system. It ruined my ranger and took the last bit of fun I was having with the game.Like many folks I wouls still  go right back if they ever did a real classic server.