Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW holds at 10.2 million

XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

According to the latest financial report from Activision Blizzard WoW has "approximately 10.2 million subscribers as of 3/31/2012".

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=672062

Don't think they will be going free to play any time soon.

Now commence with the "90% are Chinese gold farmers" responses.

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Xiaoki

According to the latest financial report from Activision Blizzard WoW has "approximately 10.2 million subscribers as of 3/31/2012".

No, its only 89%.  Close, though.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

That's not true!!!.. only 85,45% of them are chinese gold farmers, and of course there's 2.78% that are philipino gold farmers but they don't count.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by L0C0Man

That's not true!!!.. only 85,45% of them are chinese gold farmers, and of course there's 2.78% that are philipino gold farmers but they don't count.. :)

Only 85.45%?  I don't believe it, I need to see a link, or I won't believe its less than 89%.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I don't know about the Chinese, but I do know that a lot of people agreed to pay for a year so they could get that exclusive flying mount and Diablo III for free. That will be padding any sub numbers until October. Wonder what kind of gimmick Activision will come up with once they enact the changes coming with Mists of Pandaria.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Do you think the aggressive marketing, passing out free level 80 characters and free expansions + the annual pass had anything to do with this?

Furthermore, it will be MORE interesting to see if the mix between NA/EU subs who pay a monthly fee has remained steady at around 4 million subs vs other countries that have a pay-per-use structure. And what percentage of their revenue came from "services" such as the mounts and pets they sell as well as character services?

I'm sure some bright folks are breaking down their numbers to figure this out.

With the 1.2M annual pass sub ending and another 3+ months of DS, it will be interesting if to see if they can maintain until the release of MoP.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

i just don't believe that 10 million people are actively playing wow..it's bullshit..how many copies of the game have sold?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Many came back for Scroll of Ressurection.  The instant 80, free cata upgrade, free transfer, free gear upgrade, and free flyer for the inviter was quite a bargain for the cost of a month's $15.00 subscription.

The question is, how long will they stay.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by SteamRanger

I don't know about the Chinese, but I do know that a lot of people agreed to pay for a year so they could get that exclusive flying mount and Diablo III for free. That will be padding any sub numbers until October. Wonder what kind of gimmick Activision will come up with once they enact the changes coming with Mists of Pandaria.

You are on to something there my friend.

Did Blizzard give away D3 for "free" as a bonus for wow's annual pass to help wow's numbers or D3's numbers? or both.

I would like to see a report, similar to the one released a while back from EA/Bio, regarding the difference from subs and active players. Sure wow has 10.2m subs (prob until oct), but how many people are still playing?

The fact that Blizzard had to entice people with a "free" D3 (not really free) as a bonus for paying for wow for one whole year says alot. Especially about what Blizzard thinks of their games and the current/future situation they are in and will soon find themselves in (*enters MoP).

Mark my words (and those of SteamRanger). Come October (or even September), Blizzard will pull another shenanigan in order to keep their subs up as much as possible.

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Many came back for Scroll of Ressurection.  The instant 80, free cata upgrade, free transfer, free gear upgrade, and free flyer for the inviter was quite a bargain for the cost of a month's $15.00 subscription.

A pretty long time with MoP coming up.

If anything MoP will make even more people come back and number will grow.

Both my wife and I had left wow in anticipation for GW2 (we pre purchased it and already played in the first BWE). While waiting till the next BWE we found ourselves bored so my wife activated her wow account and we used the rez scroll on my account. After one week I've cancelled account again (my wife still plays just to kill time).

I can't speak for all the other players out there we used the rez scroll, but here are two players that will not stay once GW2 is released. I am certain there are many more thousands like us.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by joocheese

Did Blizzard give away D3 for "free" as a bonus for wow's annual pass to help wow's numbers or D3's numbers? or both.
    I would like to see a report, similar to the one released a while back from EA/Bio, regarding the difference from subs and active players. Sure wow has 10.2m subs (prob until oct), but how many people are still playing?
    The fact that Blizzard had to entice people with a "free" D3 (not really free) as a bonus for paying for wow for one whole year says alot. Especially about what Blizzard thinks of their games and the current/future situation they are in and will soon find themselves in (*enters MoP).
    Mark my words (and those of SteamRanger). Come October (or even September), Blizzard will pull another shenanigan in order to keep their subs up as much as possible.

And that's probably when MoP will come out. The difference with Blizz is when they do stuff like this, it works. BW just keeps shitting all over themselves. I had a good time playing WoW for 7 years and I wish them nothing but the best. I haven't played it in 4 months and don't miss it anymore, waiting on GW2. EA/BW can burn in hell. I believe that Blizz will kill it again with Titan, whatever it is and whenever it comes out. Hopefully they'll release some info about it soon.

• AegisSagaAegisSaga Member Posts: 33

The annual pass was basically a way to not make Blizzard compete with Blizzard. They realized that a big portion of their Diablo III fans are also WoW players, and that with the release of Diablo III those players would probably unsubscribe from WoW for a good amount of time while they play DIII. 

And of course promotions like these give a game more subscribers, that's the whole point. To argue that they are not "true" subscribers is moot. Think of it, WoW has been around for 7 years, and it still has 10.2M. That, I think, is quite an accomplishement promotion or not. 

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

And the upgraded SoR offer didn't even go into effect until after April 1 so all the new subs (even for one month) coming from that "gimmick" won't show up until 2nd quarter financials are released.

Originally posted by Requiem6

MoP will be the worse selling expansion in wow. It will be interesting to see how many copies of MoP are sold in comparison to their supposed subs numbers. Do not be surprised, however, when Blizzard pulls another stunt in order to increase the sales of MoP and maintain their subs numbers. They'll prob give it away for free for another annual pass or something (biggest ripoff ever!)

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by Requiem6

Thats right u can say that WoW is old and obsolete and i will agree i think there are better mmorpg out there but Blizz did a very good job turning it into a money maker machine

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I went back to try WoW after almost 4 years away.

Made a new account upgraded it and decided to level up a Worgen Warrior and Goblin Warlock.

I've been back two months and though I have very little time to play (none of my characters are max level) I see new trial accounts converting everyday. 

You drop into a city in WoW and there are hundreds of people running around on a medium pop shard.

It's insane. 

With Diablo 3 around the corner and Guild Wars 2 due out around the Fall I have no idea how long my stay will be in WoW but right now im having a good time.  Isee none of the dead server issues in WoW  like I do in SWTOR and RIFT.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Istavaan

i just don't believe that 10 million people are actively playing wow..it's bullshit..how many copies of the game have sold?

Its probably accurate but then again......

Does anyone ever get the feeling that when mmos report their sub numbers these days its kind of like the guy in high school who claimed to have slept with 50 girls but instead had only ever slept with one.  His cousin Francene.  image

Originally posted by kanezfan

And that's probably when MoP will come out. The difference with Blizz is when they do stuff like this, it works. BW just keeps shitting all over themselves. I had a good time playing WoW for 7 years and I wish them nothing but the best. I haven't played it in 4 months and don't miss it anymore, waiting on GW2. EA/BW can burn in hell. I believe that Blizz will kill it again with Titan, whatever it is and whenever it comes out. Hopefully they'll release some info about it soon.

I completely agree. EA/BW can go to Hell. As to Blizz killing it with Titan, we'll see... that depends on whether or not Ghostcrawler is part of the dev team. If he's not, then Titan has a good shot at being a success, if he is, then I'm already giving up on Titan.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Originally posted by Corehaven

Does anyone ever get the feeling that when mmos report their sub numbers these days its kind of like the guy in high school who claimed to have slept with 50 girls but instead had only ever slept with one.  His cousin Francene.  image

wow isn't even in the top 5 selling games of all time...so how can they have 11 million subs as stated previously, that would make it the second biggest selling game of all time..they are saying subs after all.

• MisatoTremorMisatoTremor Member UncommonPosts: 72

They would be pretty stupid if they won't do anything like this. I support the idea that the Annual Pass offer with Diablo was most about both games will be sharing a good portion of their player base. But I'm sure they can also easily put something together with SC2: HotS or maybe even MoP that people will buy like carzy.

Misato - TankDoc for Life
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

wow isn't even in the top 5 selling games of all time...so how can they have 11 million subs as stated previously, that would make it the second biggest selling game of all time..they are saying subs after all.

Because no one counts digital sales. In 2009 they posted 8.9 million physical boxes sold. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Anyone know...

1. How many copies of wow have been sold? (the original one, cause you can't play any expansion without the original)

2. How many concurrent players are active in wow? (similarly to EA/BW difference from subs to concurrent players)

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

As much as I think that WOW turned into a kids game, it still holds its own amoung the MMO's out there right now. 

Now if they just created Vanilla servers I would sub right away.

Originally posted by Z3R01

Because no one counts digital sales. In 2009 they posted 8.9 million physical boxes sold. 

for wow's purposes, what exactly constitutes a subscription? does it have to active? can it be cancelled (like swtor)? or suspended? or frozen?

Originally posted by snoop101

As much as I think that WOW turned into a kids game, it still holds its own amoung the MMO's out there right now. 

Now if they just created Vanilla servers I would sub right away.

I want to agree, I really do, but after playing in GW2's BWE, I just can't go back