Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering the closed beta has been running for months now...

kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Is it a good thing or bad thing that actual leaks have been few and far between? I wonder if it means the game is so good that none of the testers bother to take time off to leak stuff or the game is so bad that none of the testers cant be bothered to log in to leak stuff? ...or is the illuminati just getting to those thinking about leaking stuff before they do? 

(PLEASE KEEP THIS POST NDA FRIENDLY)

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I have been playing the genre long enuff to remember when a Beta was actually a Beta. You were in a unique position to actually help with development. People actually used to take that seriously and considered it an honor to help with development.

Now its used as a marketing stunt to buy pre orders and sell boxes. Hopefully TSW actually took the time to screen beta testers and got people who gave a shit besides a free trial of the game. Maybe thats why the lack of leaks. Or at least thats what I hope.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I don't remember GW2 or SWTOR having a lot of leaks when those games were bound by an NDA.  

• DarkDemon69DarkDemon69 Member Posts: 154

Are you kidding? Both had tons of leaks just google it

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by DarkDemon69

Are you kidding? Both had tons of leaks just google it

Not really. They had their fair share of leaks on specific websites, but certainly not many before the first massive beta. Same goes with TSW. And there are only few people testing TSW, if the upcoming weekend had NDA there would be many leaks. There were very few Swtor leaks until the first beta weekend.

• indigo203indigo203 Member Posts: 4

Meh. Disappointed to be honest. Loading screens are much too frequent and long, zones are small, and combat kinda felt like a crippled imitation of GW1. Quests are old-fashioned (accept and report), nothing new. I realize that it is still beta, but these are things unlikely to change in the short time left until release. 

Optimization though, was okay. Aside from a few instances of freezing and crashing, the framerate was decent on ultra. A few things I'd imagine they would be fixing before release would be fine-tuning optimization, character customization (currently it is not much better than Lineage 2), clunky animations, in addition to a few rendering glitches and bugs. 

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

Originally posted by indigo203

Meh. Disappointed to be honest. Loading screens are much too frequent and long, zones are small, and combat kinda felt like a crippled imitation of GW1. Quests are old-fashioned (accept and report), nothing new. I realize that it is still beta, but these are things unlikely to change in the short time left until release. 

Optimization though, was okay. Aside from a few instances of freezing and crashing, the framerate was decent on ultra. A few things I'd imagine they would be fixing before release would be fine-tuning optimization, character customization (currently it is not much better than Lineage 2), clunky animations, in addition to a few rendering glitches and bugs. 

OK, not gonna disclose anything cuz of he NDA, but what you just posted is blatent bullshit... you couldn't have tested for more than 5 minutes if that's your "opinion".  Major zones aren't small, warzones are huge, you spend hours questing in one place so loadtimes are moot, no worse than any other game... are you playing on a TRS80?

GW1 was one of the WORST games ever made IMHO (and I stupidly even tested 2, which isn't gonna be the savior everyone thinks it is... it's laughable really) and the combat isn't at all like it...

The current iteration of the animations are a bit clunky but more they just need to add in mousespeed...

But thy've said which half the people in the games chat didn't even know... NOT EVERYTHING IS ENABLED!  Testing is still limited and in stages.

I'm not saying it's the greatest new thing, but considering the pedestal GW2 and Tera(was) are on... gimme a break.  Not much competition (or even remote originalty).

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Fluxii

OK, not gonna disclose anything cuz of he NDA, but what you just posted is blatent bullshit... you couldn't have tested for more than 5 minutes if that's your "opinion".  Major zones aren't small, warzones are huge, you spend hours questing in one place so loadtimes are moot, no worse than any other game... are you playing on a TRS80?

GW1 was one of the WORST games ever made IMHO (and I stupidly even tested 2, which isn't gonna be the savior everyone thinks it is... it's laughable really) and the combat isn't at all like it...

The current iteration of the animations are a bit clunky but more they just need to add in mousespeed...

But thy've said which half the people in the games chat didn't even know... NOT EVERYTHING IS ENABLED!  Testing is still limited and in stages.

I'm not saying it's the greatest new thing, but considering the pedestal GW2 and Tera(was) are on... gimme a break.  Not much competition (or even remote originalty).

im testing TSW right now and ill say this... game is fun and yes the main zones are massive.. overall though I'm pretty impressed on some aspects of the game and no so much in other areas,  although i do find GW2 to be a more fun game for me overall I'm enjoying this one more than i did TERA or SWTOR

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Its good to refute things you feel are wrong or misinformation but you lose a lot of credibility when you follow them up with idiotic statements such as GW1 is one of the worst games ever and such. Granted you may not have liked GW1 and the game play mechanics and such but it was a very good game for its design, a lot of fun and made a lot of money. There are plenty of other games out there that are and were truly terrible. For worst games ever I would have to say Dark n Light is a frontrunner just to give an example.

• indigo203indigo203 Member Posts: 4

There is no need to go enraged fanboy on me. I shared my opinion, I used GW1 as a point of reference to give a visual description of what the combat is like.

For your info, I've been in the beta for months, run an upper-midrange machine, and I don't particularly find the game amusing.

Edit: forgot to quote

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's been running for a year btw
  • eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I said it in another thread and ill say it again, I played yesterday for around 10 hours and in that time, there was a span for about 5 hours where I seen maybee a dozen people if that.  I dont think there are alot of tester in the CB, or as  many as you would think.  When they sent out the waves on the 8th, there was thousands of people but they were just stressing the limits. 

So to answer your question, this isnt open beta, there are not 50k/100k or more people beta testing all at once like in an open beta, I guess I cant really explain better though as I havent been beta testing for as long as some, I did with RIFT and SWTOR though, just OB not CB though.  

The game would most definitely tend to faver "NDA viloations havent been  broken because its a good game" then the other way around though in my opinion.

ps. The comment about the loading screens on the first page is just a downright lie, unless he didnt get past the first half hours of the game, after that its gigantic wide open role playing territories with no loading screens what so ever.  If SWTOR was compared to TSW in terms of loading screens, from my gameplay SWTOR has more then a 100% more loading screens, you cant even compare the two.  I would say SWTOR has more like 300% more loading screens, I ran into one freakin loading screen in TSW in the 10 hours I played after the intitial setup.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

Originally posted by kishe

Is it a good thing or bad thing that actual leaks have been few and far between? I wonder if it means the game is so good that none of the testers bother to take time off to leak stuff or the game is so bad that none of the testers cant be bothered to log in to leak stuff? ...or is the illuminati just getting to those thinking about leaking stuff before they do? 

(PLEASE KEEP THIS POST NDA FRIENDLY)

the original Forum community was so amazing that I don't think anyone who got in the beta wanted to break the NDA just out of shear respect for the community, I mean seriously Sappho does an amazing job keeping the forums on topic free from negativity.  I would just credit the lack of NDA breeches as well chosen testers.

I mean seriously some of my favorite forums.....

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

There is no need to go enraged fanboy on me. I shared my opinion, I used GW1 as a point of reference to give a visual description of what the combat is like.

For your info, I've been in the beta for months, run an upper-midrange machine, and I don't particularly find the game amusing.

Edit: forgot to quote

Methinks the fanboi doth rage too much.  You must have been pretty accurate in your comments.

EDIT:  Almost forgot, I think a lack of beta leaks usually indicates that people like what they see enough to respect the NDA.  When people aren't happy, they're more willing to share their misgivings with anyone they think will listen.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ehem...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert