Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tired of easy MMOs

I tend to be more casual than not when it comes to gaming so I don’t require I huge amount of difficulty but, come on, there should be at least a bit of challenge to the game to make it interesting.  Most recently I played Rift to the level cap and while I did enjoy the game it was way too easy to get there.  Not seeing anything that interested me that was out I took a step back and went back to EQ2.  Talk about easy!  My shadow knight was easily able to take on monsters that were 5 or 6 levels above.  To die I had to be mobbed by several of these critters.  It was usually quite easy to run away still.  I quit MMOs entirely for the moment and am now playing a single player RPG (Dragon Age: Origins) and enjoying it thoroughly.  I will wait for the new crop of MMOs to come out and see what they have to offer. 

Just a request to the developers out there.  Please add a little bit of a challenge to these games.  Just a wee bit.   Without a challenge it’s just not fun. 

Comments

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

you're going to be waiting for a long time. mmo companies are just that: companies. they care mainly for what brings in the bigger profits. the easier the game is, the more casuals can play it, the more money comes in. anything with a challange would turn away potenial customers and isnt worth doing them.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The mobs in GW2 will be quite happy to rip you a new one at equal level if you're not on your toes, especially when you leave the 1-15 zones. Even an extra one or two accidental pulls will give you a very good shot at experiencing the game from a horizontal perspective.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

Honestly try Entropia Universe.  It is damm hard and fun and now is the time to play.  

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

"A wee bit" isn't going to cut it, they need a truck load.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Salio69

you're going to be waiting for a long time. mmo companies are just that: companies. they care mainly for what brings in the bigger profits. the easier the game is, the more casuals can play it, the more money comes in. anything with a challange would turn away potenial customers and isnt worth doing them.

I understand that they are looking to maximize their profits.  I get that and don't think that's a bad thing.  What i don't understand is how a complete lack of challenge is desirable to anyone.  Casual or not.  I'm not talking about making them hard but just a wee bit of a challange.  They might as well create a "Chutes & Ladders Online" game for all the challenge most modern MMOs provide.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

I'll toss in recommendation for GW2 aswell. From what I've played it requires both reactive skill and tactical thinking. Also group events, even some on 1-15 zones, can scale to be a real challange. After level 10 mobs also start using unique skills and dodging you which is SO WELCOME change to the standard cannon fodder we've been fed in most other titles.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

You should check out Vanguard once it goes F2P. It isn't as forgiving and there a many opportunities for a challenge solo or as a small group. It is doubtful that we will see much challenging content in new MMOs.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I agree with the OP and welcome to your answer for your post.

www.mortalonline.com After the next expansion comes out in the next couple weeks try the free trial.

The developers dont plan to make it easy mode, players can loot anything your wearing or have on you, or kill your mount. If your naked people can see your junk. It is open-world with no maps or quests(learn your way by memorizing how the landscape looks). You will have to be wary of thieves in town and murderers outside of town. If your wearing a helm your view is slightly lessened. No insta-ports, etc.  Its not free-to-play and there is no cash-item shop. You need to eat and sleep lest you starve or run out of stamina/health, dont eat the wrong kind of food because you will puke. Skill-based so no formal classes or levels to restrict you. Nighttime is really really dark. You start the game with rags, a shortsword and pickaxe. Equipment weight and carry weight affects your movement and you could drown if you are too heavy.  There is no RvRvR or WvWvW -Ally yourself with whatever guild you want to and go to war with their enemies if you want to go the PVP/Siege route.  And last but not least the game will even grief you at times with some bugs and the haters of the game are also hardcore. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGFI8aHs1Y8&feature=related

(gameplay trailer from 2 yrs ago though, but it sums it up best imo)

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a4FSjX-F60 

(video  G(

Or at least go play EVE. And I would agree with above... if you neeeeed to play a themepark, then VG.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by unclemo

Honestly try Entropia Universe.  It is damm hard and fun and now is the time to play.  

and there's a tiny tiny little chance you might make some money while doing it...tiny one..but there

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I always get a kick out of these types of posts... MMO companies have ALWAYS been companies, it isn't like they just hit a switch and now want money...

I don't get it.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

Companies need money to survive, but there used to be a standard, best example I can give is Asheron's Calls original development team, they built a game they themselves wanted to play and game they thought would challenge, intrigue and invite people to Adventure.

Nowadays, well yea.

• rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111

Yes, yes, lets blame the evil "casual" players once again. Whatever they are. I suppose i could qualify as one.

Having said that, most games are too easy, and they do not hold my attention for long when they are.

Not all "casual" players want an easy game and not all "hardcore" players want a challenge.

Stop painting with such broad strokes.

The OP just needs to stop playing the easy games. Its no ones fault but his for playing the wrong type of games.

Its like saying all shoes are uncomfortable by a person who only buys dressy shoes when theres a whole line of tennis shoes out there for him to wear.

No most of these games are either quite easy or lacking in real depth (mortal).

I agree with OP.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Challenge is everything !

Originally posted by IIIcurrier

No most of these games are either quite easy or lacking in real depth (mortal).

I agree with OP.

Not sure what you mean by mortal lacking depth.

Lets just say that you have bought all your extraction books and have gotten mining maxed. And know the best ratio of catalysts to refine your metal into Tungsteel. Also assuming you have a good chance of surviving because you mastered the safest routes to travel through trial and error(death). Also assuming youve got your dracogina armor crafting skill and are maxed in every obtainable lore skill.

Lets also assume that your combat teqnique is one which started out as clueless, and now you can reserve your stamina, keep your targets in front of you, am able to gauge where to hit your enemy because you know what his armor is just by looking at its color and its shine.

Lets also assume you good friends next to you that know when, where, and how to move and interpret your moves in order to make the most out of a fight.

Lets also assume that youve maxed your taming from 80 to cap by knowing where the proper mobs are and knowing the best way to tame them through trial and error.

Lets also assume you know the best potions you can make by gathering the proper materials all over the land, again by trial and error, and expirementing with every combination you can because there is no recipe book in mortal where you can just hit create after getting a recipe.

In addition, lets assume youve explored every underground dungeon and cave and have opened up a chest or two from a key youve looted from a risar commander or a skeleton king.

Lets assume your not talking about depth in that sense... Its taken me almost 2 years to learn all of the above and Im still a little cloudy on a couple of the things above and I havent even scratched the surface the things which I havent taken up (archery, cooking, fishing, magic, engineering/construction). There is no way that you can say it has no depth in the amount of things you need to 'find out' in order to survive and thrive.

So, if youre talking about lack of depth of quests. Yes, there are no quests. Player-made content is the answer. My guild regularily holds RP events which tells a revolving story based upon what we decide the narrative will be. For example... if we hold an guild meeting in RP and someone says he got attacked by a sator while exploring in the jungle we will send a hunting party to go there for revenge, bringing back carcass as an offering (during a ceremony) to our god. Thats just an example of some of the player created content. Not to mention the pvp-player-created content concerning grudges or revenge where small fights or large sieges take place.

But im sure you have done all that, right? Nearly not as in depth as spell-rotations,tab-targeting 123,  and pressing create while standing safely in front of a crafting table.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I've said this before in another thread discussing difficulty, I think they could impliment different servers with a different difficulty curve for those that prefer a challenge and let the casual crowds have their cake. I'm sure it wouldnt be to difficult to do.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Volkon

The mobs in GW2 will be quite happy to rip you a new one at equal level if you're not on your toes, especially when you leave the 1-15 zones. Even an extra one or two accidental pulls will give you a very good shot at experiencing the game from a horizontal perspective.

Agreed and if that wont do I am sure that World of darkness online will be hard enough when it launches.

But GW2 is still a couple of months from launch and WoDO at least a year, probably 2.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Companies need money to survive, but there used to be a standard, best example I can give is Asheron's Calls original development team, they built a game they themselves wanted to play and game they thought would challenge, intrigue and invite people to Adventure.

Nowadays, well yea.

Diablo (1) was actually hard and it sold great. In fact some people bought it because it was challenging.

There are plenty of players that want a harder game, but the devs are as usual trying to win over the Wow crowd. Which is a misstake since they already have Wow.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Volkon

Agreed and if that wont do I am sure that World of darkness online will be hard enough when it launches.

But GW2 is still a couple of months from launch and WoDO at least a year, probably 2.

World of Darkeness is more like 3-4 years from release imo.

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Shmackpappy

I tend to be more casual than not when it comes to gaming so I don’t require I huge amount of difficulty but, come on, there should be at least a bit of challenge to the game to make it interesting.  Most recently I played Rift to the level cap and while I did enjoy the game it was way too easy to get there.  Not seeing anything that interested me that was out I took a step back and went back to EQ2.  Talk about easy!  My shadow knight was easily able to take on monsters that were 5 or 6 levels above.  To die I had to be mobbed by several of these critters.  It was usually quite easy to run away still.  I quit MMOs entirely for the moment and am now playing a single player RPG (Dragon Age: Origins) and enjoying it thoroughly.  I will wait for the new crop of MMOs to come out and see what they have to offer. 

Just a request to the developers out there.  Please add a little bit of a challenge to these games.  Just a wee bit.   Without a challenge it’s just not fun. 

Even though I personally didn't like Guild Wars 2 I respect Arena Net for making GW2 fairly harder then other new mmorpg. Give GW2 a try it has a feeling of a single player rpg anyways :)

Originally posted by Loke666

Nowadays, well yea.

Diablo (1) was actually hard and it sold great. In fact some people bought it because it was challenging.

There are plenty of players that want a harder game, but the devs are as usual trying to win over the Wow crowd. Which is a misstake since they already have Wow.

Diablo was a very good RPG! I remember still the creatures and tactics one would use, unlike the thousands of mobs in mmorpg's currently which pose no challenge other then the time investment.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

What would it take to make to convince you to take on an arbitrary handicap?  I mean, there are loads of ways of making a game harder on yourself by setting challenge (eg: non-magical gear only).   What's holding you back from taking on one of these challenge styles?  A lack of formal achievements/recognition for doing it?  Fear that other players will refuse to play with someone who isn't min-maxing?   An inability to feel accomplishment from something that *could* have been done more easily?

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

Originally posted by Slampig

I always get a kick out of these types of posts... MMO companies have ALWAYS been companies, it isn't like they just hit a switch and now want money...

I don't get it.

what is there to get a kick out of? maybe try reading SLOWLY. maybe then you'll see  you are repeating the exact same thing i said.

Originally posted by maplestone

What would it take to make to convince you to take on an arbitrary handicap?  I mean, there are loads of ways of making a game harder on yourself by setting challenge (eg: non-magical gear only).   What's holding you back from taking on one of these challenge styles?  A lack of formal achievements/recognition for doing it?  Fear that other players will refuse to play with someone who isn't min-maxing?   An inability to feel accomplishment from something that *could* have been done more easily?

No I think it is because everyone player who isn't running around with Tyreal's Angel Slaying Laser Beam Shooting phaze blade, autimatically takes a loss, where is the challenge in that. 

I want to see the duels that are equal competitors experience wise, but still scaled one way or the other, like a Long Bowmen vs Shortbow men, and it isn't tipped so badly that just the shortbow men with gear tier 7, automatically takes a win over a Longbowmen in tier 6, when the Longbow men has the advantage terrain wise, it just wouldn't happen like that.

Gear to sharply decides out the out of any battle now.

E: and by automatically I mean it tips the scales so dramatically it's like your swatting at dandilion fluff.