Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First beta weekend will be Templar starting area only?

2»

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

So many people got invited to the ongoing CB -.-

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Beta is beta people. I know some people have been mislead by 'betas' in the past, and many companies use beta as synonymous with 'free trial', but that's not what an actual beta is. It's good to see companies actually doing public betas again. It's a good thing, and tends to lead to better games (provided they actually listen).

Where are people getting keys from? I'm definitely curious about this game. I don't have very high expectations of Funcom, but i do like some of their art styles, and they do have some interesting ideas. I'm hoping they will actually follow-through on both this time around. That seems to be where they fall short.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by kishe

AoC "Tortage weekend" flashbacks, anyone?

While I had the same thought, at least TSW have 3 starting areas instead of one.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by aesperus

It's good to see companies actually doing public betas again. It's a good thing, and tends to lead to better games (provided they actually listen).

Where are people getting keys from?

This is mislabled a beta when as it launches next month and they did the stress test for the engine on age of conan.  Please, when has Funcom ever listened to beta feedback? That was the number 1 complaint of both prior launches. If all three starter areas combined are the size of tortage I would be worried.  We know the starter areas are polished, they get the reviews and are what people see when they give free trials later on.   I remember Tortage being free well before the game became an extended free trial.  I logged into AO years ago and that was free but the graphics and polish were way behind EQ1 and DoaC so I quit after 15 minutes.

Ways to get keys: 

Random email

Register for beta

Pay for it in another Funcom game

Be a funcom employee

Friend of an employee

Preorder the game

Play some facebook spyware game

I'm sure are more ways.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by tares

Originally posted by aesperus

It's good to see companies actually doing public betas again. It's a good thing, and tends to lead to better games (provided they actually listen).

Where are people getting keys from?

This is mislabled a beta when as it launches next month and they did the stress test for the engine on age of conan.  Please, when has Funcom ever listened to beta feedback? That was the number 1 complaint of both prior launches. If all three starter areas combined are the size of tortage I would be worried.  We know the starter areas are polished, they get the reviews and are what people see when they give free trials later on.   I remember Tortage being free well before the game became an extended free trial.  I logged into AO years ago and that was free but the graphics and polish were way behind EQ1 and DoaC so I quit after 15 minutes.

Ways to get keys: 

Random email

Register for beta

Pay for it in another Funcom game

Be a funcom employee

Friend of an employee

Preorder the game

Play some facebook spyware game

I'm sure are more ways.

TSW shares much of the engine with AoC, but it's not the same. For instance they have changed how AoE spells work in the engine and have added a features like Tesselation (making geometry from textures).

Anyway, they want to be sure the server architecture and servers can handle the load the have calculated. TSW will have a higher load at launch than AoC has had since it launched in 2008. There has been a lot of changes since then.

So, yeah, it is a beta.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by tares

Please, when has Funcom ever listened to beta feedback? That was the number 1 complaint of both prior launches.

The #1 complaint of AoC beta was that Tortage was single-player only.  Funcom then listened to the beta testers and changed it to be multi-player.  This in turn ended up a huge source of grief for Funcom because most people didn't understand that Tortage was MEANT to be a different experience from the rest of the game, so they inevitably got disappointed when they got into the open world.   So yeah.. listened to beta feedback.. sure it was meant well, but turned out very poorly.

Anyhow... that's neither here nor there.  At least 38 Studios learned from Funcom's mistake and released their single-player prologue as a completely separate game, so I guess it was good for the industry in the long run... unless of course you count BioWare who went and did exactly the same thing as FC with their first Flashpoint - they showed everyone how amazing Esselles was and how it had all these choices and cinematics.. so people expected the rest of the instances to be the same when in reality they were just empty tank'n'spank zones with no shred of story or choice. 

but yeah.. back on topic...

this is pretty much an open beta now, since ANYONE that wants to play can do it by setting up a Facebook account and taking 10 minutes a day for 3 days to max out their points.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

The great thing about these betas is that they have gated content.

So we are actually testing the templar area on the first weekend and then dragons/illuminati on the following.

Feels like actual testing than just opening the doors for players for few days.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

So we are actually testing the templar area on the first weekend and then dragons/illuminati on the following.

Agreed!!!

Also, as I understand it, there has been and still is an on going "closed" beta so I am sure they are testing other areas not in the beta weekend event.

• corvenikcorvenik Member Posts: 75

yea i retract my statement on all three that was for cbnotes :P.

• DarkDemon69DarkDemon69 Member Posts: 154

Luckily I was given the open beta weekends and closed beta access yesterday. No I did not sign an NDA so Im good to talk about it. Supposedly at 2pm today (PDT) they start a closed beta test on PvE Tech (whatever that is). All I know is I downloaded the entire game clientt not the small kingsmouth client. So this pm after work Ill be running on my Illuminati. Ill have pics and videos up soon possibly.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by DarkDemon69

Luckily I was given the open beta weekends and closed beta access yesterday. No I did not sign an NDA so Im good to talk about it. Supposedly at 2pm today (PDT) they start a closed beta test on PvE Tech (whatever that is). All I know is I downloaded the entire game clientt not the small kingsmouth client. So this pm after work Ill be running on my Illuminati. Ill have pics and videos up soon possibly.

You're the kind of person that does not read quest texts either, are you?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Depends on wheteher its worth reading

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

All games have a tortage. Extremely polished beginning, moderate middle, polished ending. But; I think TSW is doing the smart thing by focusing *hint hint* on specific sections at a time. 

Stay optimistic, my friends.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• DunewarriorDunewarrior Member Posts: 13

Not sure if someone pointed this out already, but i do belive that closed beta is still ongoing... ie. the rest of the game is probably open to that crowd dont you think ?

Originally posted by Dunewarrior

Not sure if someone pointed this out already, but i do belive that closed beta is still ongoing... ie. the rest of the game is probably open to that crowd dont you think ?

It is still going next CB phase starts 2pm

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Not in the slightest, if you couldn't leave London then yes I would agree. The faction "starting areas" are just faction cities, the real starting area for all factions is Kingsmouth. So all you are really missing out on is the city for the other factions (i.e. eye candy.)

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by Unshra

Not in the slightest, if you couldn't leave London then yes I would agree. The faction "starting areas" are just faction cities, the real starting area for all factions is Kingsmouth. So all you are really missing out on is the city for the other factions (i.e. eye candy.)

So what you are saying is Kingsmith is the only real starting area for all factions?  So if they polished kingsmith up to a degree that it will gain high reviews from reviewers who don't make it very far before the deadline and be favorable enough for the demo weekend in a few days and the rest of the game plays like any demo video from a leak or PaX or even developer videos where stuff "will get fixed before launch".

Wait how isn't that the slighest like Tortage?  Tortage was just 20 levels of highly developed content and class mechanics, the remaining 60 levels and endgame was still in alpha or prebeta it seems not including the dire lack of content.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

His point is that if you are in the CB you DID agree to an NDA and did not bother to read about that.  You can talk about your open beta weekend experience only. There is a great little vid on Gamebreaker TV that tells you that when they discussed open and closed beta testing too.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Its Funcom, dont expect anything less.

They seem like they are not capable of learning from mistakes...havent seen them change a thing in how they handle their games after release or their betas...you would think they would at least have learned how to patch bugs in a decent amount of time after over a decade yet they cant even do that.

Release an update, take 4-8 weeks to patch the bugs it creates and even then may not fix them all.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by dougmysticey

His point is that if you are in the CB you DID agree to an NDA and did not bother to read about that.  You can talk about your open beta weekend experience only. There is a great little vid on Gamebreaker TV that tells you that when they discussed open and closed beta testing too.

To be fair...the email I got Monday said my beta started Tuesday 5pm EST (which would mean I was in the CB even though I never applied for it), but the download link on my account page said weekend public beta.  I did not click "agree" on a NDA.  I figured the link was correct and I was a weekend warrior only, which turned out to be the case as I could not log in last night.  I'm sure quite a few people are a bit miffed today thinking they got into the CB when they really didn't.

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109

Originally posted by corvenik

yea i retract my statement on all three that was for cbnotes :P.

actually, by entering in to the closed beta, you are still under NDA... please learn to read

Hey I guess open beta weekends are a sham we only are getting two weekends for open beta per Funcom CS rep ( I posted a thread with the mail)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Definitely is, this is the kind of stuff that worries me, what's the point in stress testing one little area of the game? If I wanted a brief trial I'd wait for it after launch with a buddy key or the inevitable 7day that FC always offers eventually.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by Distopia

Definitely is, this is the kind of stuff that worries me, what's the point in stress testing one little area of the game? If I wanted a brief trial I'd wait for it after launch with a buddy key or the inevitable 7day that FC always offers eventually.

So you want complete access to everything the game ahs to offer?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Snikz

Originally posted by Distopia

So you want complete access to everything the game ahs to offer?

Yes

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson