Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: What's Coming in Update 1.3?

Comments

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by Talonsin

Originally posted by crysent

This is crazy , lol...Group finder?  My server is dead, 100% dead..I don't need a group finder, or more warzones, or more flashpoints, I need more players and until they fix that nothing else matters, nothing.

Yep, they need to bite the bullet and do the server merge.

The server transfers will be starting soon, I imagine they want to wait until they are underway properly before assessing which servers to merge with which and which to then close. Merging now wouldn't do anyone any good if the population was to suddenly shift afterwards due to server transfers and people moving their toons to their current reroll servers.

Those are paid server transfers, right?  Everything starts to make more sense when you put the word "paid" in front of server transfers.  If they are offering free server transfers, they are to a limited pool of destination servers, which means they know the destination servers.  Those destination servers are the ones they merge into (or merge).  There's no guess work there.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Can you invite people from your guild list to a party yet?

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Well there is a frequent poster on these forums who claims that there will be no more content patches and the game is now in maintenance mode.  So there will be no 1.3 just ask him.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by killion81

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by Talonsin

Originally posted by crysent

This is crazy , lol...Group finder?  My server is dead, 100% dead..I don't need a group finder, or more warzones, or more flashpoints, I need more players and until they fix that nothing else matters, nothing.

Yep, they need to bite the bullet and do the server merge.

The server transfers will be starting soon, I imagine they want to wait until they are underway properly before assessing which servers to merge with which and which to then close. Merging now wouldn't do anyone any good if the population was to suddenly shift afterwards due to server transfers and people moving their toons to their current reroll servers.

Those are paid server transfers, right?  Everything starts to make more sense when you put the word "paid" in front of server transfers.  If they are offering free server transfers, they are to a limited pool of destination servers, which means they know the destination servers.  Those destination servers are the ones they merge into (or merge).  There's no guess work there.

They will probably be like rifts server merges without calling them server merges.  They'll give free transfers from certain servers and not allow any new characters on those servers to be created thus forcing people off the server.  But still not call it a server merge.  Trion have excellent pr people to come up with that, and I'm sure the EA pr doesn't want to be outdone.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I seen group finders before, they always blow chunks.   Look at the eq2 dungeon finder and how it constantly fails to put groups together without the correct makeup, to the point that nobody uses it.

I agree with others they need to think server merge soon. 

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Expansion patches need to be properly newsworthy. For example, enabling people to fly spaceships around the universe without rails. 

CCP make small improvements (like making fleet finders) all the time to Eve Online - but they don't make a big thing out of it.

I agree.  More of the same or adding things that most other games already have will not be enough to save the game.  But there were people defending SWG NGE right to the end, so this will go over the head of some.

From what I saw during my time playing, there are not enough people playing to warrant all the zones and instances.  Get rid of them, open the game up.  Add a space component not on rails. Do something worthy of note.  Anything.

Or you can try and make headlines by adding features that much better games already offer.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

And to stick to those rules, im going to have somethine about the game in my post.

1.3 is yet another patch that does not address the core issues with the game. They need to add DEPTH by adding what is MISSING. No more carrots that does not address the missing MMO or RPG in this MMORPG.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by jtcgs

1.3 is yet another patch that does not address the core issues with the game. They need to add DEPTH by adding what is MISSING. No more carrots that does not address the missing MMO or RPG in this MMORPG.

The core issues of the game are the basic design philosophy and the world design.  Everything else anyone tries to list is simply a result of a poor game design and a linear, lifeless world environment.  

Those two things can't be fixed without completely scrapping the game and rehauling it.  So any hope about them addressing any other issues or adding in missing elements for upcoming patches is moot, IMO.  

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Will you work on making Space a major part of the game instead of a mini game , what the heck is wrong with these people?   Oh and what about a server merge or transfer, Tera did a sever transfer on opening day-it seems they listen to their customers

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by Durray

I thought 1.3 was meant to be the PvP patch?!

When the bloody hell are they planning on fixing PvP in this game??

Honestly ? I think they have abandoned ever truly getting any sort of large scale galactic war/Illum working again.

Their engine can't handle 50vs 50 much less 100 vs 100 in one place.

Every patch they broke Illum worse , and the planets are so segmented that PVP servers are pointless.

I think PVP is beyond fixable for them now , and don't see EA pumping in the resources it would take to overhaul the game enough to make it actually have a galactic war.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by Dahkot72

Originally posted by Durray

I thought 1.3 was meant to be the PvP patch?!

When the bloody hell are they planning on fixing PvP in this game??

Honestly ? I think they have abandoned ever truly getting any sort of large scale galactic war/Illum working again.

Their engine can't handle 50vs 50 much less 100 vs 100 in one place.

Every patch they broke Illum worse , and the planets are so segmented that PVP servers are pointless.

I think PVP is beyond fixable for them now , and don't see EA pumping in the resources it would take to overhaul the game enough to make it actually have a galactic war.

I would agree with that.  Open World PvP was a no-go from the beginning due to the world design.  And Ilum was a mess because the game engine is so bad.  

To give you an example of that, when I played the game, I played a shadow specced Consular on a PvP server.  Out in the open world, on the RARE ocassion that I would bump into a member of the opposite faction, I would always be alerted to them being in the area ahead of time because if even ONE OTHER PLAYER came within a certain distance from me, the game would lag for a brief second.  These "hiccups" would give me plenty of advance notice to slip into stealth immediately and be prepared for the other player to cross my path so I could gank him.  The game engine's poor optimization should never be a tool used by players to be more effective in Open World PvP.

So yeah, Ilum is dead.  Open World PvP was never a part of this game in any real sense.  Time to just accept that the only thing Bioware will be doing to add PvP into this game for the forseeable future is just to add more warzones until your eyes bleed.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by RebelScum99

The core issues of the game are the basic design philosophy and the world design.  Everything else anyone tries to list is simply a result of a poor game design and a linear, lifeless world environment.  

Those two things can't be fixed without completely scrapping the game and rehauling it.  So any hope about them addressing any other issues or adding in missing elements for upcoming patches is moot, IMO.  

Core world design does not change oh...lets say...a complete lack of Roleplaying.

It suddenly becoming open world does not change the fact that to get role playing gear you have to group in mass to obtain social levels to be able to wear it...

Open world will not add...Pazzak, dancing, music playing or reasons to get players to hang out in Cantinas and act like this is an online game.

Open world would not add Pod racing for players to compete against each other with.

Open world does not create a crafting system worth a damn.

Open world does not add variety to quests.

Open world does not create a variety of end game content to do...like bombing runs or speeder based quests.

Open world does not take away moronicly implimented ideas like the legacy system which could have been epic if it was made by someone that has actually played an MMORPG before.

Open world does not take away the decision to lock species/class combinations and have them unlocked 6 months after release long after much of the population would already have their alts created...

Open world has nothing to do with these game designs...and yes, open world is the way all MMORPGs should be made, but they dont even have the fundamental MMORPG aspects!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by jtcgs

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Core world design does not change oh...lets say...a complete lack of Roleplaying.

It suddenly becoming open world does not change the fact that to get role playing gear you have to group in mass to obtain social levels to be able to wear it...

Open world will not add...Pazzak, dancing, music playing or reasons to get players to hang out in Cantinas and act like this is an online game.

Open world would not add Pod racing for players to compete against each other with.

Open world does not create a crafting system worth a damn.

Open world does not add variety to quests.

Open world does not create a variety of end game content to do...like bombing runs or speeder based quests.

Open world does not take away moronicly implimented ideas like the legacy system which could have been epic if it was made by someone that has actually played an MMORPG before.

Open world does not take away the decision to lock species/class combinations and have them unlocked 6 months after release long after much of the population would already have their alts created...

Open world has nothing to do with these game designs...and yes, open world is the way all MMORPGs should be made, but they dont even have the fundamental MMORPG aspects!

I agree with both of you.  

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621
    I always thought the people who cried that SWTOR would become F2P within one year of its release were just trolling or hating on the game but as each month goes by I think it is more likely than not actually going to happen.
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Czanrei

Of course as usual, the content updates are a waste and a slap in the face for SW RP'ers who care about the canon and not some money-grabbing WoW-clone with no soul. In fact it's ironic in the freeze frame above it shows two characters sitting at a table talking which of course is impossible to actually do in-game. Nice show of more false advertising Bioware.

Really? false advertising? It's the way they did the podcast. They use the engine to make 2 people talking instead of filming 2 actual people.

....or are you just being ridiculously obtuse?

I will agree..most of the legacy fluff and this patch coming up is inadequate, petty shite.

They really need to focus on all the stuff that is causing sub-loss. With this fluff added to fill in some cracks. Other wise...despite my fondness for SWTOR..I'll be playing another F2P game in year. Which has it's cons since I'll be able to sub to another game and still finish all my storylines in this one. I'll just find it disheartening.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

i nevr thought i would miss swg this much but this game is an affront to the ip and to gamers alike....ugh

so say we all

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

cosmetic outfits gonna be so OP in WZs, the slave dancer outfit will grant a skill unacquirable through PvP only, unless you own a smartphone for the authenticator app : Distraction.

• Ridan477Ridan477 Member UncommonPosts: 48

I love the star wars universe and swtor lvls 1-49. Grind based endgame just is not apealing anymore. Their updates need to go in the way of new story based content for individual classes. That was their big push with the game right?

Scoobin it up on the daily.

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

Originally posted by bakabröd

hope the fekkers release more alien spieces instead.

Yup, they would be suprised at how many people would come back/join the game if they did put in new species.

I tell you what, I won't even think of coming back to game until they implement this and I am talking , Rodians, Weequay and the host of other species that should have been in this game.

PS. Canceled when they put all them ugly ass Warhammer armors in the game instead of some Star Warish armors.

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by Aluscia

@Anolev

It's pretty pertinent - Bioware gave people who agreed to resub for a month an extra free 30 days (the deal was a few weeks ago). I too wonder how many of those people will stay after the free 30 days given them by BW to artificially-populate their game.

But what does that have to do with game update 1.3?

I would think these comments be related to what was announced re: game update 1.3, not another opportunity for people to theorize about a weeks-old incentive program.

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by Samhael

Originally posted by Aluscia

@Anolev

It's pretty pertinent - Bioware gave people who agreed to resub for a month an extra free 30 days (the deal was a few weeks ago). I too wonder how many of those people will stay after the free 30 days given them by BW to artificially-populate their game.

Yup, definitely a relevant comment. For me, the answer was: I got my 30 days, logged in for 10 minutes to clear in-game mail, and removed the game from my hard drive. Maybe in a year or two it will have shaped up into something more interesting to me.

Still not seeing how a conversation re: free gametime promotion has anything to do with a discussion of features in 1.3.  Seems to me like this thread should be restricted to 1.3, and you can discuss your feelings about the free subs in one of the other numerous threads dedicated to those subjects.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Something that should of been in at launch.

As much as I hate themeparks in general, and Dungeon Finders in particular I have coem to the conclusion that in a themepark MMO you NEED a Dungeon Finder for PvE.  Since you dumb the game down with boring and repetitive gameplay that lacks soul you might as well go full bore and add the icing on the cake to top it off, the Dungeon Finder.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Something that should of been in at launch.

As much as I hate themeparks in general, and Dungeon Finders in particular I have coem to the conclusion that in a themepark MMO you NEED a Dungeon Finder for PvE.  Since you dumb the game down with boring and repetitive gameplay that lacks soul you might as well go full bore and add the icing on the cake to top it off, the Dungeon Finder.

100% right.  No including a group finder was their biggest mistake.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Its done by Blizzard and its almost perfected, if only the WoW community wasnt such douchebags and scum.

Way to late to save SWTOR or lost members.

Many of us dont eat shit twice you know :P

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

Originally posted by wrekognize

Group finders in an MMORPG...sigh. I guess in an instanced world, this would be required. Give me a free open world where I can find my groups by adventuring.

Have I got the ultimate game for you! It's called your front door. Go forth find friends, group with them against the horrid basketball hoop, build an epic raid group before encountering the local baseball diamond. 

You can aslo find some more solo friendly dungeons like the bathroom, and the amazing backyard, where Elite classes like "The Gardener", "The Hobbyist" and "The double rainbow Watchman" reach their fullest potintial. 

Fer reals though, SWTOR has a find groups by adventure type style, but nobody actually groups, so kind of pathetic. The game is completely solo friendly.

Not so nice guy!