Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK, so I'm not that coordinated...

Comments

• wnuneswnunes Member UncommonPosts: 16

haha there is no way to escape a 16k hit followed by a 6k.

This is easy play, I know its a suicide build, but thief has a lot of ways to run from the fight. And return with the same tactics.

Im sorry, probably you want to be a thief and youre defending it. but the guy from the video keeps saying, just spam here, and done.

It shows how easy is this class to play.  ITs far from hard.

My opinion.

• Originally posted by castamir11

I'm kind of a clutz.  I'm interested in GW2, but I don't know about all this dodging and weapon swapping and stuff.  Is there a class for me the keeps it kinda simple??

I'm a total clutz.  I will probably never finish one of the jumping puzzles (I had trouble with LOTRO level 30 class quest for Captain which involves mild jumping).  Guardian frustrated me no end as my first BWE character.  Switched to Elementalist and that was better but had more to do with ranged than the lack of weapon swapping.  Also tried Necromancer which was kewl.  Also tried Ranger which rocked (even though pets are acting weird).

Changing attunements and swapping weapons were really not a big deal for me.  Dodging takes practice but it's not so much the act itself as it is figuring out the when.  I'm going to try Guardian again in next BWE - my guess is that for me it was too much at once to jump right into melee while trying to figure out everything else in the game at the same time.

• Originally posted by castamir11

I'm kind of a clutz.  I'm interested in GW2, but I don't know about all this dodging and weapon swapping and stuff.  Is there a class for me the keeps it kinda simple??

You learn as you play. But if you can't handle it I guess you can always go back to WoW or something.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

Originally posted by castamir11

well you can play to some extend but i say you will not be able to complete any dungeons or hard events without weapon swapping and dodging. GW2's pve will be very hard at late game dungeons (i fear it as some of gw1 dungeons were really hard and they said that some of GW2's pve will be harder) 

for the competitive pvp part you will have below zero chance to succeed without using those mechanics.

---------------------------

Btw you say you want to keep it simple but i think it feels natural to dodge out of harm's way really quick, and swapping is just like casting another spell, i am sure you wont find doing those that complex.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Get yourself a G510 keyboard or similar is my advice, you can very easily localise the keys you need on to the G buttons and the live macro recording makes that end of things a cinch even for the layman.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by ZLE42

Loke666 said:

I plan to play both, still need a bit more training on those daggers though. Chosing one is a mistake, you will limit yourself a lot then.

I disagree.Swaping weapons for thief is much less effective.You can offcourse swap(and i did this a lot) from daggers to pistols when its not safe to get closer,or you just having problems with get closer.

But the initiatve mechanic itself cripples thief when it comes to full scale swaping.As i posted many times before the most obvious example with warrior(not that i have anything agains them): "a warrior can dish out all his cooldowns,swap weapons and continue to destroy.Thief however relys on one and only initiative,and if(when) you empty your initiative and then swap,you still wont have initiative,and will have to wait to regenerate"

There is a thief trait that refunds innitiative on weapon swap. It's in the Acrobotics line.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I would recommend choosing a ranged class over a melee class if you have trouble dodging. Melee has to dodge and strafe more where range can do more kiting though dodging is still very important.

For those saying that the dodging is easy, realize that the question usually isn't how to dodge but when to dodge and how to time things. And some of us don't come from FPS games so for some of us it is genuinely harder.

Also, while every class does support and control in addition to dps the ranged classes will emphasize support more and the melee classes will emphaize control more. Not to the point that it is enforcing roles, just a difference in style.

All die, so die well.

• oblitrifyoblitrify Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by VikingGamer

I would recommend choosing a ranged class over a melee class if you have trouble dodging. Melee has to dodge and strafe more where range can do more kiting though dodging is still very important.

For those saying that the dodging is easy, realize that the question usually isn't how to dodge but when to dodge and how to time things. And some of us don't come from FPS games so for some of us it is genuinely harder.

Also, while every class does support and control in addition to dps the ranged classes will emphasize support more and the melee classes will emphaize control more. Not to the point that it is enforcing roles, just a difference in style.

Thanks for these tips. I'm not very coordinated, either, and find it difficult to dodge and strafe at times. 

• castamir11castamir11 Member Posts: 45

What's the kiting like?  I hope it's not jump kiting as in WoW, I hated that.  :)

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Originally posted by Alders

Thief is without a doubt the most difficult class to play.  What you're seeing in that vid is a true glass cannon build with little to no survivability.  11k HP means you get 1-shot quite often.  I messed around with a very similar build, and while it is fun destroying bad players, it's terrible against anyone with half a brain.

The point is that Thief is viable with weapon swaps. While this is a true glass cannon build, the risk and reward are pretty equal... especially in larger groups where others have decent CC... The guy in the video was pretty good, but the whole video was a demonstration on the potential with little actual risk... everyone he touched was dead in 2 hits... Most of the people that purchased GW2 will not be able to get out of 2 quick hits like that, especially when they don't see you coming... Your last line is completely untrue.  

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

What's the kiting like?  I hope it's not jump kiting as in WoW, I hated that.  :)

It consists of circle strafing while weaving in whatever abilities your profession has that put some distance between you and your enemy. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by doragon86

It consists of circle strafing while weaving in whatever abilities your profession has that put some distance between you and your enemy. 

Kiting is highly viable in this game..wish there was more reverse (fear) kiting though...miss that from EQ sometimes.

Really, Necro may be the safest class to play for the OP. Lots of heals, predominately ranged, lacks the complexity of the Ele or Engi. Or god help you, Mesmer.

Or go Warrior with Longbow. Boring as heck, but they do impressive damage.

EDIT: Also Doragon: Gotta Ask: Did you get that quote jsut from reading Byron, or Archer?

Originally posted by terrant

EDIT: Also Doragon: Gotta Ask: Did you get that quote jsut from reading Byron, or Archer?

Lol. both. I read the Destruction of Sennacherib for a class of mine in college. I saw an excerpt of it from Archer on Pam's back and I was like, "I must have that as my signature". Also happens to be one of my favorite episodes. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

The mobs have a short enough leash that you have to run in a circle to kite?  The only other game that I had to circle kite was Vanguard, while it is a good game running in a circle to kite is annoying.

Sorry OP I can't help you no super special beta for me.  But based on the thread necro is the way to go.  It's so odd seeing that warriors are wimps.  Must...reprogram...brain, ugh.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

Originally posted by Mardukk

The mobs have a short enough leash that you have to run in a circle to kite?  The only other game that I had to circle kite was Vanguard, while it is a good game running in a circle to kite is annoying.

Sorry OP I can't help you no super special beta for me.  But based on the thread necro is the way to go.  It's so odd seeing that warriors are wimps.  Must...reprogram...brain, ugh.

I played a longbow ranger and 90% of mobs never reached me. I guess it all depends on the class you are playing... if it annoys you that much change a class perhaps? Avoid thief for sure though

Originally posted by Mardukk

Hmm, it wasn't a matter that they were leashing, but rather it was wiser to circle strafe to avoid aggroing other mobs. It was even more so as such in close quarters. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Listen, I'm 53 years old and had a blast. You will do fine with any class and it's not like you jump right in the middle of a huge battle, unless you want to.  I played a warrior and for an old guy did fairly well I suppose. It's not about coordination, it's about choosing your battle, focusing, and using your head. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• LilituLividLilituLivid Member Posts: 1

If it's any consolation at all, I'm possibly the least coordinated gamer on the planet... It hasn't stopped me enjoying/playing games, nor playing them (fairly, I think) well

Just take your time at the beginning: Play around with the controls in a safe area, and learn what they do... Eventually muscle memory will kick in, and you'll find yourself just doing it

As with all the games I play, the first hour or so of the beta was spent with the camera swinging wildly around, my avatar not really doing what I wanted her to do and me shouting at my husband "This is ridiculous! I'll never be able to play this"... But then it clicked (as it always does), and I found myself dodging, kiting and whatnot, without thinking about it at all

For those that lack coordination, knowing exactly what your abilities do, and choosing to use them wisely is vital... So take your time and don't spam buttons in a mad panic

And yes, I play a Necro... Once I've played a bit and have learned more of the mechanics of the world and the Mobs I'll roll an Ele (I don't like getting hit by things, so anything melee oriented is out for me!)

Patient Gulidmates are also key... While you're lacking confidence you'll want some laid back/friendly peeps who don't mind the occasional f**k-up, and who will help you learn

• PhunkystuffPhunkystuff Member Posts: 12

I'd suggest starting as a necro to get a feel for the game if you're not into twitch action combat.

You could equip a staff and the sceptor / focus as a weapon swap, those being the ranged choices for a necro.

Then you have minions out the wazoo u can load into every utility, heal and elite slot.

Even if you find you don't like minions, you have the choice of wells which are all ranged if you trait them for ground targeting.

As many people have said, there's the death shroud which is specific to necros as your one and only F skill, which can make u quite tank like in order to survive a tough situation, plus it gives u a fear condition to force mobs/ players away from you.

Necros were one of the easiest classes to pick up in gw1, and have some serious depth to master. Just as gw2 seems thus far.

Then if you decide to get into pvp at all, it would be one of the easier classes to support teammates with as well.

Doesn't matter if you get the hang of hotkeys or just want to mouse click, necros will be more forgiving for the less twitch style / button mashing players.

On top of all that, they're tons of fun, and have some of the coolest animations and particle effects.

G'luck with w/e u decide!

click this 10,000,000 times to receive reward. ty, come again

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

speaking of hard professions(sorry this is pretty much bumping an ancient thread)no ones mentioned mesmers

are they really not as hard as they look.they seemed like one of the harder professions to play 

im still kinda unsure on what profession  i wanna play.havent really bothered with pre purchasing and getting into any of the bwe's but i was thinkin eather mesmer or thief.mesmers im kinda drawn to more but they seem hard to play

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

speaking of hard professions(sorry this is pretty much bumping an ancient thread)no ones mentioned mesmers

are they really not as hard as they look.they seemed like one of the harder professions to play 

im still kinda unsure on what profession  i wanna play.havent really bothered with pre purchasing and getting into any of the bwe's but i was thinkin eather mesmer or thief.mesmers im kinda drawn to more but they seem hard to play

Mesmers can be challenging, but fun. Sadly their unique class "gimmick" (illusions) is needs work, but they make up for it with  decent damage, a lot of condition skills, and great party support. Stealth+portal is very much looking like a must-have for every serious WvWvW raiding party....which tells me the nerf bat will roll in sooner or later.

But I quite enjoyed both classes in the BWE and stress test..rogue takes a little work if you're used to the stealth+burst assassin-style gameplay of wow. It's more about tactical precision and condition stacking.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"rogue takes a little work if you're used to the stealth+burst assassin-style gameplay of wow. "

im actually more used to the Lineage 2/Tera type rogue(or at least i think the rogue type that Tera uses is the same that Lineage 2 uses)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Go Ranger instead of Warrior and have your pet do the heavy lifting. You will be able to learn the game, but at a much less steep curve.

I'll have to agree with this.  Ranger would be easier to learn since you can just stay back and shoot stuff, if you prefer to be ranged that is.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by pharazonic

I'd actually recommend elementalist. 

^this^

And the elemental "attunement" changing isn't necessary since some of the Elements are already well rounded or focused enough that you won't need to change them to make it to level 80.  ...atleast that's the way Ele always was in Gw1...     It's a nice perk but the Mage type RP'er usually only cares about a single Element anyway.

No Dodging?  That's going to be a tough one, but only in Tight spaces so act like you're claustrophic and you won't need to dodge much in the 1st place, keep a healthy distance and don't go in caves

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by grimm6th

Try Warrior.  They are probably one of the easier classes to start with.

...or maybe Guardian...

...Not that a better player isn't going to cut you to ribbons, reguardless of what class you use...

Liar

The person ask for advice and you mislead them. Smh.

@OP

I suggest playing engineer. Very easy to play for both PvP and PvE. Don't have to deal with anything. Just stay ranged and attack and toss support turrets for Melee ally to keep enemies focused on them instead of you.

I went into WvW as a engineer at level 1 without unlocking all my weapon skills, and was dominating. It's that easy friend. Trust me.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design