Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So exactly what IS good these days?

Seeing as how every MMO nowadays is just down right terrible and the majority of us aren't even playing them, is there ANY at all that are worth playing? I see TSW and GW2, yet I just see both of them failing in the end.

What are you guys playing? What do you reccomend? 

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

My vote goes to Vanguard:

- huge classic fantasy gameworld with an enormous mass of quests and about 50 very well designed dungeons

- carefully designed, complex and dynamic classes with an unique game experience on each of them

- alternative progression in the crafting (trade/harvest/however you want to call it) and diplomacy sphere

- awesome raiding with use for every player class unique features, with a large number of different opponents and unique strategies for each of the bosses

- much more stuff as well (housing, mounts, fishing etc)

My main problem with Vanguard is still mainly lack of players. It will go F2P in summer, I hope we'll see more people then. The main feature missing from the game to make it complete would be meaningful PvP. Right now there is an arena but thats all.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

SOE F2P is the worst thing I have ever seen

VG also has absolutely no character progression other then gear, no talents, no exp to spend, no AA's, nothing, every bard is the same

not the bugs, nor the lack of content turned me off on VG, its the lack of what I listed above that wore boring on me and my guild

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Anything new at this point is good. Any game that plans to distinguish itself with more than a gimmick is good. Although first I'd like to see more games that are well made.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    I am guessing you never played VG or only got to level 10.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Myrdynn

VG also has absolutely no character progression other then gear, no talents, no exp to spend, no AA's, nothing, every bard is the same

Um, the "every bard is the same" clause is wrong. You can very freely design bard songs, in this respect bard is the most flexible class of them all.

But yes, Vanguard has no AA *shrug* thats just another form of progression, though. And gear progression is quite complex in Vanguard, by the way - you can already customize your character massively through gear, which is also obviously much more flexible than static skill progression through AA, so I fail to see the importance of AA other than being used to it from other games.

Also, AA is ancient adenna to me, so this is always a bit a confusing acronym at first lol.

They had at one point attempted to do AA, but apparently havent been happy with the system they came up with. Right now Vanguard is completely static - until summer, all they will do is tweaking and bugfixing.

Originally posted by Quirhid

Anything new at this point is good. Any game that plans to distinguish itself with more than a gimmick is good. Although first I'd like to see more games that are well made.

Well, Vanguard is not something new per se, its an attempt to do the classic fantasy MMO "right". It has nice unique features like diplomacy and a very dynamic and complex combat system (not a simple press the same three buttons over and over if you want to play your class optimally).

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by descreth

Seeing as how every MMO nowadays is just down right terrible and the majority of us aren't even playing them, is there ANY at all that are worth playing? I see TSW and GW2, yet I just see both of them failing in the end.

Definitely Tera. But if you see every MMO "failing", then I recommend moving to another genre :)

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Originally posted by Adamantine

- huge classic fantasy gameworld with an enormous mass of quests and about 50 very well designed dungeons

- carefully designed, complex and dynamic classes with an unique game experience on each of them

- alternative progression in the crafting (trade/harvest/however you want to call it) and diplomacy sphere

- awesome raiding with use for every player class unique features, with a large number of different opponents and unique strategies for each of the bosses

My main problem with Vanguard is still mainly lack of players. It will go F2P in summer, I hope we'll see more people then. The main feature missing from the game to make it complete would be meaningful PvP. Right now there is an arena but thats all.

I wanted to try Vanguard, but held off because I heard it was going F2P. Then when I tried EQ2 F2P using my original account I was saddened. I know some people like it, but I hate being nickeled and dimed for every little thing. I couldn't even wear my old armour because I had to purchase the slot. The launcher had ads, when the game first loaded it up the character screen there was an advertisement. When I got into the game as my character there was an advertisement and tons of instructions on how to purchase stuff. SOE and F2P = no go for me. 

Its cool that other people enjoy it though, so more power to them! I still may try out Vanguard depending on what the subscription model will be like, and the amount of ads. Knowing Sony, I feel its best for me to wait and see what others say when the transition is made.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Every MMO is not terrible to everyone.  Many people enjoy the games out there, unfortunately they are designed with the  "need to have everything now" crowd in mind, in my opinion, and do not cater to those who enjoy a challenge.  The only MMO out there that is good, in my opinion , is EVE.   However that is just my jaded opinion. I choose to play Skyrim right now, I do have DDO in case I need to play something.. but I rarely touch it.   I feel like I have been left behind in the MMO genre, the games i liked the best are either gone now (Shadowbane) or have dated graphics.   Good luck.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Your going to have to answer that for yourself.

For example, I think the only themepark worth playing is VG. The sandboxes I think are worth playing are EVE, Mortal Online, D.F. 2.0(if it ever comes out), and a few others.

It may be totally different for you though. You may like alot of those themeparks and hate sandboxes.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

From that opening post I see you dont have any faith in an MMO doing well, prehaps you should try D3 for a change of pace from MMO's?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Since you don't have any faith in current and upcoming mmorpg's - I advise you to play single player games (The Witcher 2 is good) , or maybe normal mulitplayer games and leave mmorpg's alone.

Peace.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Quirhid

For once you and I are in agreement.  I'm pretty much retired from mmorpg's at this point.  I'll come back when I see thing radically different from the rest of the herd.  Like you said, gimmicks aren't cutting it anymore.  Judging by the previews of the upcoming games, that probably won't be for a few years.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I am with you on this and haven't really played a MMO in years except for the little 2 two to max and quit the game, we all know any game that shallow is a fail in the long run. I am waiting for GW2 since it isn't a hand holding MMO and the WvW is pretty good.

Otherwise there is nothing with depth or gameplay to hold anyone a long time.

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

I've been non-stop playing the heck out of GW2: Skill Calculator lately.

Hands down the best thing out there right now. image

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Adamantine

OP, beware that the subs on Vangaurd have been terrible.  People voted with their wallets.  You will find people on the forums trying to sell you their niche games.   Look past what the claims are and just look at the position in the market. 

People will offer reasons as to why the game was a failure.  You must ask yourself if the reasons even matter.  Beware the f2p change claims that it will somehow fix a bad game.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

I dont dare to recomend a MMO to someone who says all MMOs fail and even the next future ones will fail too.

I dont see fail MMOs, i only see some MMOs i like and others i dont like and others i dont even know if i like or not image

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

It depends on why you think most games are terrible.  If your complaint is "it's too grindy", then you're looking for something very different from someone who complains "leveling is too fast".  If your complaint is "the graphics look terrible", then you're looking for something very different from someone who complains "it won't run on my computer".  If your complaint is "I'm forced to spend too much time searching for groups", then you're looking for something very different from someone who complains "too much of the game is played solo".

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Well OP there are bits and pieces of games that are good.  Vanguard's world is amazing, SWTOR's story is pretty good, WoW has good raiding the EQ's have a massive amount of content.  It just seems that a lot of games these days haven't been able to put all the pieces together.

I would hold out hope for GW2 and maybe even TSW (for story purposes and a change of setting).

But as other's have said it all depends on what you want.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

RIFT is still fun.

TERA is alright, though involves an awful lot of tedious traversing the countryside.

Still subscribed to both, alongside playing plenty of non-MMOs (SMNC, Tribes, Mass Effect 1 again, Port Royale 3, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• VantrasVantras Member Posts: 124

Rift is a real quality title.  Great graphics, fantastic class system, tons of content, decent population on the right servers, and it really knows what it is-not trying to be something else.  Tons of new content on a regular basis as well.

EVE - Nobody does brutal pvp, politics, sandbox, economics/trade better than EVE.  Steep learning curve but like learning to speak Chinese-well worth the effort and you'll be proud that you did it.

TERA - Smooth release, interesting combat, great graphics, digging the "Bam" concept, at least on the PVE servers a very solid community.

Honorable mention on the ftp/ptwin side of the equation would always go to EQ2 and LOTRO.  Both quality titles, with years of content-just have to be willing to accept the payment model that is currently in place.  I think leveling a char from start to level cap in LOTRO is probably one of the best themepark/like experiences available in MMO's today. Very smooth path, interesting dungeons, gorgeous graphics.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I find it interesting that just a while ago people on this forum were screaming for some three faction MMO. Then TESO info comes out, and people hate on it...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I find it interesting that just a while ago people on this forum were screaming for some three faction MMO. Then TESO info comes out, and people hate on it...

I don't find it interesting. Its to be expected. There are many different mindsets of people on this forum. If one set likes one thing, the other ones wont and vice versa. There for everything is disliked by SOMEONE. And people on here are loud :) Which is a good thing too though as hopefully some of the companies take note and learn from it. It must be confusing though to decifer wtf people want in general as everything is complained about hahah

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Themepark games that are good and that i would recommend:

EQ2 - great PvE. most content.  great game mechanics.  easily accessible to get into, yet extremely challenging at the endgame.  amazing graphics considering it's 8 years old.  bad pvp, pretty bad writing / setting.  play this for endgame PvE.

AoC - cool combat system.  best graphics on the market.  amazing art design, good writing and setting.  somewhat lacking in PvE content.  semi-pvp game, should enjoy both PvE and PvP to enjoy.   play this for awesome graphics and pvp.

Rift - great character / skill system.  very cool dynamic content (pve).  not sure about pvp. good balance of graphics vs. performance.   lacklustre writing and setting, really boring and uninteresting pve questing.    play this for the dynamic content. 

LoTRO - best F2P system on the market, lots of PvE content, fantastic art design and world design, extremely immersive if interested in in the LoTR IP, best written MMO on the market, amazing story, tons of PvE, great group mechanics, excellent community.  poor pvp, poor character models & animations.  play this for storyline and immersion.

DCUO - underappreciated game, great voiceovers and superhero feel.  awesome combat system that combines street-fighter type combos with regular MMO ability-activation controls.  play this one for the combat system or not at all.

Sanbox (or sandbox-y) MMOs I'd recommend:

EVE - still the best sandbox around.  it has PvE, but you'll probably feel really lonely and lose interest if don't pvp.  best pvp on the market.  play this for pvp and being part of an actual world.

Fallen Earth - more of a themepark in terms of guided questing and strong single-player PvE storyline, but sandbox-y in its old school open world feel, crafted EVERYTHING and not set progression direction.  cool skill system as well  play this for the exploration, crafting and if you've always wanted a Fallout mmo.

Those are my recommendation. 

Of course with GW2, TERA & TSW just around the corner, you may want to jump into NEW games instead of going for the old.  As far as I can tell you play GW2 for dynamic content, TERA for combat system and TSW for story and character progression.   At least that's form the previews.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Rift and Eve

I dont need to say why because many have already said why.

Rift for casual/hardcore friendly with easy to learn if you played other fantasy MMO's.

Eve for more hardcore players as its harder to learn and you can go from hero to zero pretty quick. Also you can be very valuable after a week of playing. Also because its harder to learn, once you have learned it you feel very rewarded.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

i will keep my faith and belive that GW2 is the way to go for me.