Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Three-Faction PVP a la DAOC

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

After Zenimax's announcement last week that The Elder Scrolls Online really is going to happen, the MMO-niverse has been packed with fans discussing TES. We've got our own unique take on the game and invite you to check it out.

Welcome to our first Elder Scrolls Online column at MMORPG.com. This feature kicks off a series that will follow the game all the way to launch and beyond. After the announcement last week we are just as excited as you guys to see what Zenimax has in store. Game Informer ran an amazing interview with Paul Sage, Creative Director on the project. Paul’s career goes all the way back to Ultima Online and he is a true veteran of the industry. One of the major points that Paul brings up in the interview is the three faction PvP system. Being that the Elder Scrolls has never had official PvP in it, I thought this would be a great aspect of ESO to begin the column with.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The Elder Scrolls Online: Three-Faction PVP a la DAOC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    As a DAOC vet i am very glade to see the 3 faction PVP come back in any game. DAOC would be the game to look at. I can't wait for this game and Ebonheart FTW! Can't wait for this and my DE to gut those panzy daggerfell* I have a feeling they will be the Albion of this game ugh*
  • ZerackusZerackus Member UncommonPosts: 47

This is like hot sex good!!

Zerackus the Bane
    Son of Myrkul
    Undead Lords
    www.undeadlords.net

Just sad to see the orcs on daggercell, they should be on Ebonheart for the lore and story.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

FIXED factions..? I'll pass... If TES online would be a REAL sandbox like the RPG-series, it SHOULD NOT have fixed factions. Let players make their own factions like they should in a real sandbox FFS!

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Yeah.....

3 Faction PvP with Hero Engine.

Illum rings a Bell? *spit*

Can't be any good. 2013 will give proof of that. Until then, its the usual Marketing "blabla".

Northing of worth.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm not sure tsw has a rvr end game. It basicly has a single daoc style battleground.
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

LOL fixed factions. more fuel to the fire that is already burning....

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• VamperoVampero Member UncommonPosts: 38

3 Faction PvP is the only way to go !!!!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

It could have 10 different factions and still suck if we're talking about instanced or battleground-like PvP.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

But why is the game not DAOC2 then?
    There is a big risk of a marketing failure bcs of misled exceptions from the games name alone. Elder Scrolls stands for a specific type of gameplay!

PS: Was not excited about the Screenshots released yet - they look very clean and artificial and could be from almost any generic fantasy mmo.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

When they say three factions, are we talking three seperate PvE areas? Because if not, its not like DAOC, but rather, more like one of these other three faction MMOs, where the factions didnt really mean all that much.

Does that seem like nitpicking? To me, it just seemed huge the way DAOC seperated the factions into their own lands, and played a key role in how well they clashed.

Nowadays, devs would just say itd take way more effort than itd be worth.. yet why wasnt that the case when DAOC was made?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113

DAoC was the first MMO i ever started on. So hearing that the Elder Scrolls MMO is going to have pvp akin to it...well its the best news ive heard so far.

But on the other hand, i've heard plenty of other MMOs promise to have pvp like DAoC only to screw it up beyond recognition. (Warhammer anyone?)

Originally posted by Ilaya

Yeah.....

Can't be any good. 2013 will give proof of that. Until then, its the usual Marketing "blabla".

Northing of worth.

SWTOR was two faction with a fail model and nothing to do on there and no point

So you`re comment /fail

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Finally, a dev team that realizes that DAoC's three faction system is the way to go when it comes to faction pvp. Far too many devs are clueless these days when they create only two-sided faction pvp and wonder why it doesn't work. This is awesome news about ESO.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

please just stop calling a game that plays nothing like TES a "TES mmo".....please just stop.

Originally posted by Vhaln

When they say three factions, are we talking three seperate PvE areas? Because if not, its not like DAOC, but rather, more like one of these other three faction MMOs, where the factions didnt really mean all that much.

Does that seem like nitpicking? To me, it just seemed huge the way DAOC seperated the factions into their own lands, and played a key role in how well they clashed.

Nowadays, devs would just say itd take way more effort than itd be worth.. yet why wasnt that the case when DAOC was made?

I fully understand you on this one, i do hope they split the two up like DAOC did. That is one of the reasons i loved it.

Originally posted by Reizla

FIXED factions..? I'll pass... If TES online would be a REAL sandbox like the RPG-series, it SHOULD NOT have fixed factions. Let players make their own factions like they should in a real sandbox FFS!

Forget that idea, if the devs allowed players to switch sides they would find a way to exploit it like always and create problems. I am glad the devs are using fixed factions. It will weed out the problem-kiddies.

• eisenryueisenryu Member Posts: 157

Looks like Imperials are Forever Alone in this one.

World of Warcraft is the original creation of God. Real Life is in fact a WoW clone.

Yeah.....

Northing of worth.

First off, SWTOR had only two factions. Secondly, BW doesn't use the traditional Hero engine, they use a gutted version of it that they botched. If you doubt it, read BW's own interview discussion about it. 

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

All I can say is   GO FOR IT !

Can't Wait !

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Originally posted by punkrock

Yeah.....

Northing of worth.

So you`re comment /fail

Plz use Brain mate.

3 Factions would even mean MORE Players (if so) and not "just" 2. U know what i mean? And Illum, even with 2 Factions, was PvP wise "pain in the butt" for nearly every PC.

No Fail.

To the posting above me; Even if modificated Hero Engine, it will not handle that much Polys in RvR.

But as said, i would be happy as you if they proof that wrong. But until then, SWTOR PvP on Hero Engine is the measurement. And that was Crap, laggy as Hell and so forth.

Might be nothing to do with hero engine, might be bioware are just bad at coding games that aren't sprps
    It has three separate groups of pve provinces, they aren't cost cutting like gw2 & tsw
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

I really dont see what the problem is, if you were on MMORPG.com when skyrim came out... you would of seen all the threads stating how The Elderscrolls would not make a great mmo. If your looking for TES experience your gunna hafta play the single player Bethseda release

Im going to buy every 3 faction game coming out until im tired of the DoaC clones XD

Originally posted by punkrock

Yeah.....

Northing of worth.

So you`re comment /fail

Plz use Brain mate.

3 Factions would even mean MORE Players (if so) and not "just" 2. U know what i mean? And Illum, even with 2 Factions, was PvP wise "pain in the butt" for nearly every PC.

No Fail.

To the posting above me; Even if modificated Hero Engine, it will not handle that much Polys in RvR.

But as said, i would be happy as you if they proof that wrong. But until then, SWTOR PvP on Hero Engine is the measurement. And that was Crap, laggy as Hell and so forth.

You have no idea, i used my brain just fine lad, you`re the one that needs to know the basic of 3 faction pvp. Not my fault you grew up with wow and it`s 2 faction type crap or SWTOR. You will be ok just do some reading and research then come back TC.