Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age 3 put on hold to save TOR.

So DA3 is shelved to help TOR. I have more to say than I'm going to so I'll just leave it with you guys.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/40736/Pachter-Dragon-Age-3-devs-loaned-to-SWTOR

Comments

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

"Michael Pachter believes that Bioware transferred developers from Dragon Age 3 to work MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic."

So he does not know this for a fact. It's all unfounded speculation?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well good DA2 was a pile of bunk god knows what they would have done with DA3...

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Considering what a colossal POS DA2 was, anything putting DA3 on hold is a good thing.

Not like too many fans would be buying another DA game after getting suckered the last time.

In the end, I don't think it matters much: TOR needs a fundamental redesign in many areas for it to have any chance of avoiding the undistinguished fate it looks to have coming.

And I doubt it will happen.

• neumneum Member UncommonPosts: 143

I hope the Devs that are brought over  are not outsourced 3rd world people coding for a bowl of rice every day.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Tbh after DA2 and ME3 I am not too eager too see DA3. I just don't see any hint that Bioware learned their lesson.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

They really need a good ol' fashioned mass firing. While Bioware isnt the Bioware of old, I'm sure that there is at least a few decent developers still there that would most likley be getting drowned out by management and other idiots.

They realy should go back to the closed small/mid developer that works on a single title until its done, even if it is still under the EA umbrella. While a lot needs to be done to SWTOR to keep it alive long term, if they actually start turning the game in the right direction, even slowly it might have a chance. If they keep going ahead with rushed crap spawned by idiots it will not.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Elikal

Tbh after DA2 and ME3 I am not too eager too see DA3. I just don't see any hint that Bioware learned their lesson.

TBH, they did eat a bit of humble pie due to overwhelming DA2-ME2-ME3 "feedback" saying they are gonna look at their "vault" and games they made before, all the way to BGs.

It might have stricken them that they took...dark path ;P

Guess well have to wait and see, though now ill think very hard before buying any BW game, and they will have to be very convincing and reassuring about going to their roots and making good games in past.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Sad news even if predictable.

And I still don't understand why people hate DA2 so much. I've seen worse games, much worse. The story wasn't particularly great, of course, but the skill system was definitely better than in DA:O. Combat was more intensive and more interesting. The only thing I missed was tactical camera but I could live w/o it. In DA:O you outleveled encounters around L10 and starting from that point the game became ever easier even on Nightmare. In DA2 BioWare fixed enemy leveling curve.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• Blackwater56Blackwater56 Member Posts: 122

The ship is sinking! We need more captains!

As a developer myself, do people seriously not understand that adding MORE people to a development team will only complicate the process and protentially slow down development? 

Remember this?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/08/behind-the-scenes-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-throwing-people-at-the-problem/

Because that worked out SO well for them the first time.

It's like EA never fucking learns

Not really a surprise though. SWTOR is EAs only cash cow until the next quarter. Gotta save TORtanic, one dev at a time

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Most likely the lack of funds due to TOR related major income losses is the reason.

Anyway..  i dont think players will loose much. After DA2 piece of crap the Draogn Age franchise got an heavy blow. DA2 was so badly done, so out of the initial DA that it was almost sad.

Same happened with the Mass Effect IP..

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by wowfan1996

Sad news even if predictable.

And I still don't understand why people hate DA2 so much. I've seen worse games, much worse. The story wasn't particularly great, of course, but the skill system was definitely better than in DA:O. Combat was more intensive and more interesting. The only thing I missed was tactical camera but I could live w/o it. In DA:O you outleveled encounters around L10 and starting from that point the game became ever easier even on Nightmare. In DA2 BioWare fixed enemy leveling curve.

They have been slowly stripping out the RPG elements of the game upto the ponit were DA2 basically has none.. it was a shallow nasty game..

Cant wait for the Baulder Gate enhanced edition.. back to the old proper RPG games :)

• Blackwater56Blackwater56 Member Posts: 122

Oh, and can I also add that this is indicative of everything EA stands for?

Abandoning potential long-term games for short term profit while focusing on useless aspect of their current project (Legacy system)

THIS IS EA IN A GOD DAMN NUTSHELL. Behold in all its calamity 

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I'm not sure it would bother me if its true. I mean, after DA2, SWTOR, and the ending to ME3 I have lost all confidence in Bioware to be honest. ME3 was a great game up untill the ending but thier stance on the ending, even when people have showed them the flaws over and over again realy disapointed me. Even if Bioware would have said "our ending isnt complete bullshit and here is why" I would have gained alittle respect back for them. But since they just say "Nope we are proud of our pile of shit deal with it", plus the other debacles lately, I just do not trust them anymore as an RPG company.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Implosion is an interesting phenomenon to witness.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Actually it is a pretty smart move if done right and we do not know how small or lagre the dev team for DA3 was.. it might be the "simple" task of moving some senior team leaders from the dev teams over to the live teams, this would ofc leave the development of DA3 on a hiatus until the can free up named rescources again.

I am pretty sure they moved development team leaders and project managers from SW:Tor and ME3 to DA3 once those projects were done and it might simply be  a matter of bringing these people back to SW:ToR. 

Not saying it will do any good, just that it is the most logic path to follow especially if they are going to try and pull of something major on ToR, then they need peopole who are familiar with the project.

This have been a good conversation

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

As a fan of BW and SWTOR, I think they are doing a good job. Where they are falling short is server population. They made to many servers to begin with and now are faced with dissatisfied customers on the small ones. They will correct this problem, and the game will go on to greatness.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• descrethdescreth Member Posts: 21

No matter what BioWare does they can never save this game. 

The engine they built it on itself was a failure right from the start, mostly why this game failed.

Dragon Age 1 & 2, ME 1-3, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc. Every game made by BioWare was just atrocious and absolutely terrible imo, even the Baldur's gate series wasn't all that great.

Let's face it people, BioWare can NEVER make a good game, let alone fix a game that was a complete disaster from the start.

The ship of the Tortanic has been sinking for quite a while and it's only a matter of time before it fully sinks (server's shut down,) or it becomes a sightseeing tour of the mess (goes f2p.)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Caldrin

well good DA2 was a pile of bunk god knows what they would have done with DA3...

It wasn´t that bad. Sure, it only had 2 NPCs that werent annoying windbags and the game was far too short but it had some good points at least.

Kinda sad since NPCs have always been what Bioware do best... But it night be a misstake comparing DA with BG and NWN, Bioware have nowadays 3 new studios and the "classic BW" makes Mass effect.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I'd rather see them spend there time on making TOR better honestly. DA2 has put me off of the Dragon age series, with EABioware being a different type of Bioware I really don't see myself even glancing at info about DA3 and I'm likely to give it an instant pass.

TOR on the other hand is a game I would like to see improved. I crave a space MMO but I'm not into an EvE type of MMO (it's just not my thing).

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Ahnog

As a fan of BW and SWTOR, I think they are doing a good job. Where they are falling short is server population. They made to many servers to begin with and now are faced with dissatisfied customers on the small ones. They will correct this problem, and the game will go on to greatness.

If you like the game I wont argue otherwise. But low pop servers simply arent where they are fallin short. You know how you get to smaller population servers (other than making to many)? People not happy with the game and leaving. If it was a great game (to others) they wouldnt cancel thier subscription. The fact that they lost 400k subs and EA stocks dropped 10% when it was announced says that they have more to improve on than just combining servers.

Again, glad you like the game. But SWTOR clearly has issues and dropping sub numbers prove that.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by karmath

They realy should go back to the closed small/mid developer that works on a single title until its done, even if it is still under the EA umbrella. 

This is not how corporation works. They will never do 'small teams' and give them close to unlimited time.

Corporation only make small teams if those small teams are to make 'small games'.  

Like Warhammer : Wrath of Heores - afaik team is quite small but that cause they can reuse alot of graphics , animations , locations from Warhammer MMO + whole game relatively is not some kind of huge project. 

So forget it. It will never happen - what you hope for.

As for DA3 - seriously DA:O was well bit above average ,but by no means anything ground breaking (it had alot of problems imo).

DA2 was horrid ,just horrid game. 

DA3 well taking it's precedesors into account , seriously how good can it be?

I will pass it. 

Well maybe I will give it a chance by playing demo if I am bored. 

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by descreth
    Dragon Age 1 & 2, ME 1-3, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc. Every game made by BioWare was just atrocious and absolutely terrible imo, even the Baldur's gate series wasn't all that great.
    Wow, what's great then? Name a single-player CRPG you did like.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Ahnog

It is really hard to do something against that when you launch a game. GW2 tries to solve it by using overflow servers and free server transfers and that might work... Or not.

All games that are hyped up and sell many copies at launch will get the same problem, certain percentage will quit and most people interested who will buy it the first 2 months will get it the first week, so the game will need more servers the first month than the next 6 months after that.

As I see it is TORs problem that Bioware don´t had enough multiplayer content and splits up the player too much. They need to fix that.

• descrethdescreth Member Posts: 21

Barely any really. Most games to me just seem lacking in quality that they should have. 

As for RPG's I did like - there are none, aside from maybe the original fallout games, and even those weren't all that great for their time.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Barely any really. Most games to me just seem lacking in quality that they should have. 

As for RPG's I did like - there are none, aside from maybe the original fallout games, and even those weren't all that great for their time.

well, i'd say you just don't like RPGs bro.

simple as that

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"