Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkness Falls. Heroes Rise. 100% Unlock is awful.

Comments

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Actually that was very good... but then I've always liked Aeon Flux.

Think of it as something like what the Wachowskis did with The Animatrix - giving someone else with a different visual style the chance to have a go at your world (incidentally, Peter Chung had done a segment for The Animatrix, as well).

The Diablo series is famous for their high quality cinematics, and in all probability they'll provide more of that as well... This just seems to be something... well, on the side. :) 

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by omegadethh7

and it has really goood looking art, you try drawing like that. i actaully think its the other way around, you guys are too childish for it. this is how you guys are acting:

Pretty much this. There are those who have made their minds up that nothing about D3 will be worthy of their time. Now they focus their rage on the newest information: one beautiful piece of animation.

/awestruck by the animation.............. and the haters

Agreed, I loved it. Plus the animation studio (Titmouse) has done shows such as Metalocalypse, Afro Samurai, and GI Joe: Resolute, all of which are very well done, and not at ALL for kids.

For a free short it's quite awesome, and probably wasn't cheap to produce either. I daresay it's a hell of a lot better than the crappy opening cinematic we saw a while back for Torchlight 2 (which I will also be buying).

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by Kost

It's a side-project that Blizzard worked on with Titmouse to create a unique animated short about a piece of Diablo lore.

It has nothing to do with the ingame cinematics, which are the same high quality Blizzard cinematics that we all know and love.

Some people blow everything out of proportion these days, ridiculous.

It makes me glad to hear that.  If the in game cinematics looked like that I'd be pretty pissed off.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by omegadethh7

and it has really goood looking art, you try drawing like that. i actaully think its the other way around, you guys are too childish for it. this is how you guys are acting:

Pretty much this. There are those who have made their minds up that nothing about D3 will be worthy of their time. Now they focus their rage on the newest information: one beautiful piece of animation.

/awestruck by the animation.............. and the haters

If you read the thread, you'd have noticed I said I love the diablo series and can't wait to play D3, as have most others, I do believe who also didn't care for the video. I personally am not nitpicking ANYTHING about the game right now. Just after seeing this shitty animation so highly built up and seeing how shitty Diablo was done in it, and all the demons in it were acting like pussies, and the ridiculous shit like that twirling the axe around the angels wrist and throwing it back at the demon.

It's just so terrible, I'm sorry, I'll never be able to like it. As long as this kind of crap stays out of the game, though, it's all good.

So I'm gonna pretend the video doesn't exist and move on. Later, guys.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

i actually LOVED the new unlock !

absolutely well done video.

• SolisArithSolisArith Member Posts: 10

totally reminds me of 80's cartoons.  I keep expecting He-man and battle cat to come riding in.

Either that or Heavy Metal (1981)

I agree though.  pretty craptacular for a 2012 release. 

7 more days to go w00t!

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

i think the video is great.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by Gajari

As much as I love the Diablo series, and am eagerly awaiting D3, the style and animation of this video just feels like it pisses on the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LEAPxgMCEA8#!

This honestly makes me wonder if the rest of the game after the OB playable areas will be as good as I hope, if this is what they're putting out to advertise to kids.

You can say whatever you want about D2's game mechanics and all that, but the cutscenes were amazing, and I wish they tried to capture the essence of those instead of this garbage.

I hope you realise this isn't a cinematic right? 

It's an anime short to further advertise the game yes, but not a cinematic.

More games should have advertising like this, that was one epic anime short.

And another thing, why is anime suddenly only for kids? Grow up man. Just because you don't like a certain style doesn't mean its childish. Seriously, grow up.

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

If you read the thread, you'd have noticed I said I love the diablo series and can't wait to play D3, as have most others, I do believe who also didn't care for the video. I personally am not nitpicking ANYTHING about the game right now. Just after seeing this shitty animation so highly built up and seeing how shitty Diablo was done in it, and all the demons in it were acting like pussies, and the ridiculous shit like that twirling the axe around the angels wrist and throwing it back at the demon.

It's just so terrible, I'm sorry, I'll never be able to like it. As long as this kind of crap stays out of the game, though, it's all good.

So I'm gonna pretend the video doesn't exist and move on. Later, guys.

All the demons act like pussies. Right. Ingame they are always so dangerous, right? You pretty much solo everything, nobody can stand in your way but the moment they flee from the five top Angels, they are pussies? Nice.

I don't really understand all this grumbling though, it's just one of the unlocks, nothing special about it. It gives a little backstory, for which I'm glad, because I can't be bothered to read all the novels. Animation was okay, not really my style though, but it reminded me of the Dead Space OVA's and the Dante's Inferno cutscenes and OVA. I can't remember hearing people bitch and moan on those though. Besides all that, I don't know why people suddenly think that every cutscene ingame would be animated like this, it makes no sense at all.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

I would have prefered a cinematic in the Diablo tradtion, but that was nicely done and more a gift to fans of that style, especially as this game will be huge in Asia, so i'm sure they are happy in that part of the world, as well as fans of the genre in the west.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

It looks like a cartoon for 8 yo. I hope no cinematics in game looks like that. Really terrible!

Originally posted by Hurvart

It looks like a cartoon for 8 yo. I hope no cinematics in game looks like that. Really terrible!

Again, why would this thought even cross your mind? The other two trailers were done in the Blizzard style. It's like watching The Matrix, then The Animatrix and saying: "Gosh, I don't hope The Matrix 2 will be like this!".

At least it's something new people can bitch about, that's the only refreshing side effect here.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by MikkelB

Again, why would this thought even cross your mind? The other two trailers were done in the Blizzard style. It's like watching The Matrix, then The Animatrix and saying: "Gosh, I don't hope The Matrix 2 will be like this!".

At least it's something new people can bitch about, that's the only refreshing side effect here.

I dont think it fits the Diablo world. The style in that trailer would perhaps be OK for some other game.  Why would they want to make a trailer like that for a Diablo game? And the quality of the graphics reminds me of DOS-games from the early 90:es. But I guess thats intended...

I honestly dont like the art style and graphics in that trailer. And it makes me wonder what they are doing... I think that is a reasonable concern. Old Blizzard would never release something like that...

Originally posted by MikkelB

I dont think it fits the Diablo world. The style in that trailer would perhaps be OK for some other game.  Why would they want to make a trailer like that for a Diablo game? And the quality of the graphics reminds me of DOS-games from the early 90:es. But I guess thats intended...

I honestly dont like the art style and graphics in that trailer. And it makes me wonder what they are doing... I think that is a reasonable concern. Old Blizzard would never release something like that...

"The old Blizzard". Ah well, I just give up on that matter. If people want to refere the old game from 10-15 years ago, be my guest. I can only say that Blizzard hasn't changed much concerning their vision of gamemaking. Every game is still finetuned till it's ready for sale. Their games are still accessable for a broad group, playerwise and hardware wise.

Now, for your post. If you don't like the style, fine. Like Aori said though, this isn't the trailer for Diablo 3. The trailer is probably the one with Cain in the Tristram Cathedral, seeing how it ties in with the start of the game. Besides, while I haven't read them, the artstyle of this short movie looks familair to the Diablo comics. But I guess that's also not something of the "Old Blizzard". It's just something extra for the fans and people interested.

Lastly, I wish that the trailers/intro's/ingame cutscenes of the old 90's DOS-games looked like this. Look up the intro from Warcraft 1 or 2, games from your beloved "Old Blizzard" and from the 90's I believe.

Originally posted by Valua

As much as I love the Diablo series, and am eagerly awaiting D3, the style and animation of this video just feels like it pisses on the name.

This honestly makes me wonder if the rest of the game after the OB playable areas will be as good as I hope, if this is what they're putting out to advertise to kids.

You can say whatever you want about D2's game mechanics and all that, but the cutscenes were amazing, and I wish they tried to capture the essence of those instead of this garbage.

And another thing, why is anime suddenly only for kids? Grow up man. Just because you don't like a certain style doesn't mean its childish. Seriously, grow up.

I never said it was JUST for kids, nothing ever seems to be; it just seems like it's going to appeal more to a younger generation when I watch it. It actually is incredibly childish when watching certain parts of it, like that fucking flippy wrist thing with the axe, however. If it were a bit darker and more serious, I might like it.

I also never said it was a cinematic. I am loving D3 so far, but when the developers pay someone for a shitty animated short like this and think it's the coolest thing ever, I really question how the rest of the game's story is going to unfold.

Your reading comprehension doesn't show any signs of maturity for someone so arrogant and telling OTHERS to grow up. :)

• kingj0nkingj0n Member Posts: 14

After reading a few pages of this, I came to realize how stupid people are.

Yes, some of you are really stupid in the head and this is a fact.

Some people just do not know how to use the thing that's inside their head.

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Totally agree with you kingj0n.

People hating on that video are completely brain dead. The one thinking that "artstyle" will be in Diablo 3 pretty much don't even know how to think.

That video was so awsome. It was fresh and new. I wouldn't want to in-game art to be like this, and it won't. But for a trailer, it's geniusly and well done.

Originally posted by Requiem6

Totally agree with you kingj0n.

People hating on that video are completely brain dead. The one thinking that "artstyle" will be in Diablo 3 pretty much don't even know how to think.

That video was so awsome. It was fresh and new. I wouldn't want to in-game art to be like this, and it won't. But for a trailer, it's geniusly and well done.

The funny thing is, is that you're agreeing with yourself in this post. Kingj0n was very vague and never said whether he liked the video or not, he just said everyone was stupid.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I thought it was cool. Interesting lore stuff. Although some of the action felt a little stiff, it was overall good.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

I never said it was JUST for kids, nothing ever seems to be; it just seems like it's going to appeal more to a younger generation when I watch it. It actually is incredibly childish when watching certain parts of it, like that fucking flippy wrist thing with the axe, however. If it were a bit darker and more serious, I might like it.

I also never said it was a cinematic. I am loving D3 so far, but when the developers pay someone for a shitty animated short like this and think it's the coolest thing ever, I really question how the rest of the game's story is going to unfold.

Your reading comprehension doesn't show any signs of maturity for someone so arrogant and telling OTHERS to grow up. :)

You very clearly said "This honestly makes me wonder if the rest of the game after OB playable areas will be as good as I hope, if this is what they're putting out to advertise to kids" Well, if you are a parent who lets your child watch something like this then shame on you.

Do you honestly think the entire game will change after OB testing areas? Really? Will it suddenly morph into some crazy childish anime game that you don't like?

This is clearly a darker anime aimed at the older audience (teens onwards) who they are planning on selling the game too.

I just think calling something you don't like childish, is pretty childish. Also, determining a game on an anime short, or even a cinematic, is completely stupid nowadays. Cinematics are ALWAYS much better looking and exciting than games now. Just a smart advertising ploy to get people playing.

You very clearly said "This honestly makes me wonder if the rest of the game after OB playable areas will be as good as I hope, if this is what they're putting out to advertise to kids" Well, if you are a parent who lets your child watch something like this then shame on you.

Do you honestly think the entire game will change after OB testing areas? Really? Will it suddenly morph into some crazy childish anime game that you don't like?

This is clearly a darker anime aimed at the older audience (teens onwards) who they are planning on selling the game too.

I just think calling something you don't like childish, is pretty childish. Also, determining a game on an anime short, or even a cinematic, is completely stupid nowadays. Cinematics are ALWAYS much better looking and exciting than games now. Just a smart advertising ploy to get people playing.

Yada yada yada, I've answered whatever questions before and made my opinions clear and if you didn't read through the thread, you're not worth my time.

It wasn't nearly dark enough, it was crap, that's all there is to it in my mind. I'm never gonna change your mind, you won't change mine, blah blah.

Later.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

The story in Diablo 3 is kind of childish.

In D1 & D2, the story was very dark and sinister. In D3, evil speaks like the bad guys from an 80's cartoon - revealing their plans so children can understand them, .e.g., "Hahaha! We have returned! We know the black soulstone is the key. Blah blah"

Stupid.

• chillizchilliz Member UncommonPosts: 96

Originally posted by Mephster

Can't have realistic promotions or trailers , might scare off the little ones.

Really so having murderous hell beings, with bloody everywhere, with angles slicing heads and poking eyes out, with bloody spattering is for kids?.  Who the hell knew that.  We may as well stop doing nickeldoean and siney movies then guys.  Because this guy  has come to the conclusion violent animationand having blood everywhere is more approriate because it will keep the kids, while the power puff girls are for the adults.  

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Nothing wrong with the animation.. jeez some people think the whole world is going round only for them. Plenty of people enjoy this sort of animation... plus, it's a BONUS. They didn't have to do it for us, we would have been fine with nothing of the sort.

I would definately pay to see lore based films or a series in this style. Just like I paid for the Dead Space ones.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Matter of taste

The animation is done by the guy that made crittically aclaimed "Aeon Flux"

So, Blizz went and payed for the best.

Now...how you feel about 2d classic animation...well that is the mater of taste.

I knew it looked familiar! It shared that Dark Fury style. Probably would have preferred something from Blur Studios though, full CGI.