Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

!Not a Sandbox!

username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

I was hoping Elderscrolls Online would be like a big budget Mortal Online, sadly it's just another Themepark MMO.  Its not going to be like Skyrim or Mortal.  Its not even going to be a sandbox MMO.  It's just yet another Themepark game with Elderscrolls lore.  

This article from sandboxer pretty much sums it up.

http://sandboxer.org/?p=912

We either have to wait for the Skyrim mutliplayer mod to get good, or continue to play Mortal Online.  This is not the game sandbox gamers were waiting for.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

neithers skyrim

BOTH are open world exploring based theme parks

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by ShakyMo

neithers skyrim

Still trying to redefine that word i see.

Keep trying maybe someday someone you will succeed.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

neithers skyrim

Sure it is....at least to the rest of the world. You are welcome to have your own opinion, but just don't expect that anyone else will share that opinion with you.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by AdamTM

neithers skyrim

He's not redefining it. He's reclaiming it from the marketing people that started using it. He's also correct.

Originally posted by Xzen

neithers skyrim

He's not redefining it. He's reclaiming it from the marketing people that started using it. He's also correct.

No he's not. I hate to break the news to you....

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

neithers skyrim

It's not news to me. I know what sandbox means. You can buy into the marketing BS if you like.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Skyrim is a hybrid of Themepark and Sandbox

TESO is straight up Themepark

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

neithers skyrim

Good luck with that.

neithers skyrim

It's not news to me. I know what sandbox means. You can buy into the marketing BS if you like.

It's not marketing BS. It is another name for non linear, unrestricted game play where a player can play as he sees fit. Open world refers to an environment that is unrestricted.... not the game mechanics which would be a sandbox.

• Ridan477Ridan477 Member UncommonPosts: 48

Sandbox games just arent as popular as themepark ones and bethseda wants to make a big game and hopfully ride the wave of skyrim into mmo success. I think if its something close to skyrim on the exploration and story side then it will probably be popular. Not to sure on how the combat is going to work out but i guess we will see.

Scoobin it up on the daily.

neithers skyrim

It's not marketing BS. It is another name for non linear, unrestricted game play where a player can play as he sees fit. Open world refers to an environment that is unrestricted.... not the game mechanics which would be a sandbox.

That's the marketing BS definition.

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Skyrim is a hybrid of Themepark and Sandbox

TESO is straight up Themepark

^This is more accurate.

neithers skyrim

So now the meaning of a word is a conspiracy?

Oh mmorpg.com you never cease to amaze me...

neithers skyrim

The only thing required to be a sandbox is the use of ones imagination and the ability to create or alter the game world as part of the game's mechanics. It has nothing to do with being non-linear, skill progression, or Full loot PvP. All those things lend themselves well to a sandbox but do not make a sandbox what it is.

neithers skyrim

The only thing required to be a sandbox is the use of ones imagination and the ability to create or alter the game world as part of the game's mechanics. It has nothing to do with being non-linear, skill progression, or Full loot PvP. All those things lend themselves well to a sandbox but do not make a sandbox what it is.

Do tell me more.

Where is this definition coming from?

Who agrees with this definition?

neithers skyrim

It has everything to do with being non-linear. Being able to build something or destroy something can enhance the sandbox or might be included in a sandbox, but it is not required. You are trying to take a literal definition of the sand. You need to open your mind. The sand is the world and the NPC's and you are free to choose how you play. That is what makes it a sandbox. When you play in a sandbox as a kid, there are limitless possiblities. Just like there are when you play Skyrim.  And for your information, you can create and alter the world in Skyrim through your actions.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It has everything to do with being non-linear. Being able to build something or destroy something can enhance the sandbox or might be included in a sandbox, but it is not required. You are trying to take a literal definition of the sand. You need to open your mind. The sand is the world and the NPC's and you are free to choose how you play. That is what makes it a sandbox. When you play in a sandbox as a kid, there are limitless possiblities. Just like there are when you play Skyrim.  And for your information, you can create and alter the world in Skyrim through your actions.

DO you realize where the gaming term came from? Free build RTS modes....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

neithers skyrim

You have it backwards. Being able to build, destroy, and alter the environment are what makes a sandbox a sandbox. All the rest of the things you mention are just ways to make it even better. The skill progression and ability to kill off NPC's is not what made UO a sandbox.

Heres a good opinion of what Sandbox gameplay means

http://aggregame.com/news/2011/06/22/sandbox-game-what-does-this-mean/

I will state again, Sandbox does NOT refer to just being able to manipulate the games enviroment, but also how you can manipulate your character

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

Originally posted by Distopia

DO you realize where the gaming term came from? Free build RTS modes....

And your point is????  Things adapt and change over time. Like I said before, you are more than welcome to have your own definition, but the rest of the world has their own notion of what a sandbox is. Don't expect the world to accept your definition.

But none of the games they use as an example are sandboxes. LOL

yeah thats one part I didnt get. he understands the meaning, but he lists games that really dont fall into that catagory

neithers skyrim

You have it backwards. Being able to build, destroy, and alter the environment are what makes a sandbox a sandbox. All the rest of the things you mention are just ways to make it even better. The skill progression and ability to kill off NPC's is not what made UO a sandbox.

Like I said before, you can't see past the literal definition of the word.

Originally posted by Unreal024

You may as well just give up Xzen, your not going to change anyone's mind. You know that I and many others agree with you, we know that an ES MMO would never have been a sandbox. We can see that, if you take away the open character progression, TES games have always played very much like your average themepark. That's good enough, let them moan. Eventually, after actually trying the game, they'll understand that the game won't be lacking because it's not a sandbox, but because they're ripping out the features that would have made it somewhat unique in the world of themeparks.

I know I know. But every time I see the term used incorrectly I'm going to come out and tell them to get off my lawn.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Yeah Fable and Zelda especially. If they're sandboxes just about every MMO that exists is.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson