Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera - the most boring repeatable mobs in recent mmo's

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Vesavius

anyone else really bored of spiders in these games?

Not really about TERA, but... well...

Yeah, kinda.  

As for the title of this thread... you have to get to level 30 to start having fun or so I heard.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Teekay

I'm giving this game a fair go so any comments I make will be from direct experience. I'm even on a pvp server so I can sample that asap.

1) I was just suprised by the crosshair mechanism. It just only seems to apply in a certain arc, but when you're strafing it doesn't. I'm playing a lancer fyi.

2) Good to hear the mobs get faster.

3) I'm pretty sad about the fact it guides you. I hated that in other games. (HI2U Rift and Warhammer). Guess I was spoilt with Daoc.

4) I just think armours should have alot of variation.

5) Graphics just arn't that special. Most ftp asian grinders are pretty similar art wise.

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2011/03/rift-authenticator-epl-329.jpg

-Rift screenie, just way better. I'm just suprised that you think the graphics are all that. Maybe i've just played more games.

1, why are you strafing as a lancer? Lancers are a forward attacking class and have a very narrow bit in front of them to attack. YOu would do better strafign as a warrior.

2, yes they do get faster. I was nothign that there are several mobs taht will attack you and immediately jump back, reposition, jump over you and attack again.

3, Waht do you mean by "guides you"? It is a theme park game, true, but my leveling bruoght me to different places than beta. I actually bypassed certain places that I levelled in at beta. additionally, the game sends yout to different areas before you've outlevelled an area so you can feasibly stay or move to a new area.

4, I would agree with you but what game really offers a lot of variation? Lotro? Certainly not Aoc. Certainly not EQ2. Not lineage 2. Not DDO.

5 sorry but I played Rift and the graphics in Tera are better. the art design is better as well. this has to be your video card.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah, kinda.  

As for the title of this thread... you have to get to level 30 to start having fun or so I heard.

I've been having fun from the start.

I know of others who are in the same boat.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by NBlitz

Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah, kinda.  

I've been having fun from the start.

I know of others who are in the same boat.

Well it's awesome that some people's experiences differ from mine.  I felt like levels 1 through 10 were more like a job lol

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I don't like spiders IRL. Really, really, really don't like. D:

Bored? No. I'm not happy with them making the spiders in these games, bigger, hairier and movement resembling the real things down to a tee.

D: D: D: D: D: D:

haha fair enough :)

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Bored? No. I'm not happy with them making the spiders in these games, bigger, hairier and movement resembling the real things down to a tee.

imageimageimage

Every arachnophobiac loves this spider.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by timtrack

Funny, because i find the mobs varying alot. In one small area/quest i might have to come up with 4 different strategies to take down the 4 different "classes" of mobs. Some of them are way harder then others depending on what class you play, so just smashing your face against them can result in very bad HP management and loads of downtime, or even death.

I've also found the mobs a lot more varied. My main is 30 and it seems each zone adds more mobs than before.  They're also a lot more original in appearance than the mobs in most MMOs. The Big Ass Monsters (BAMs) are also a lot of fun to fight, as well!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Pivotelite

imageimageimage

The first time I came across one of those it scared the crap outa me. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Loktofeit

imageimageimage

The first time I came across one of those it scared the crap outa me. :)

Wait till you go to archneas...

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

imageimageimage

Well, spider bored as I am, have to admit this is pretty bad assed looking :)

• descrethdescreth Member Posts: 21

It's just another game destined to fail. 

The subscriber rate is already dying and I've got a month left of playtime which I haven't even touched since last week logging in during mid-day on the weekend and seeing only 20 players online.

This game shares the same fate as SWTOR, a ghost town and possibly a ghost town even if it went f2p.

Overall the game is bad, I've stated my reasons for why it is in a seperate thread and stick to them.

Games like this shouldn't even exist as the development team clearly put hardly any effort into making it, let alone caring about it or the players who would play it, only about luring people in with "A NEW BREED OF MMO" and taking their $65 to blow away on whatever.  The combat is nothing special and if anything AoC did a better job and that doesn't say much at all. 

Waste of time and money for me and I'm sure for pleanty of others here too.

So then another ship sinks.. Farewell Tertanic! You barely sailed even an inch.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

So i've actually been playing Tera.

Issues i have.

5) Graphics. Everyone was raving how amazing they were.I checked my settings twice to make sure they were maxed out because I thought I was missing something. Did you all come from WoW?. Aion had much better graphics and better mob/weapon design. They're really pretty average for a korean grinder. Nice but, standard stuff

Seriously? Aion? lol.

FYI Aion had low res textures for the environment in order to have high res textures on character models. Yeah Characters look amazing in Aion but the world, not so much. They did this for performance purposes, because the lag in big fights was horrible and even with this sacrifice in graphics, lag was horrid in sieges.

Tera has high res textures everywere,  characters and world look great. Everyone knows UE3 is fantastic.

And design wise is subjective, but Tera art design is gorgeous. Even better than Aion IMHO.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Juaks

So i've actually been playing Tera.

Issues i have.

5) Graphics. Everyone was raving how amazing they were.I checked my settings twice to make sure they were maxed out because I thought I was missing something. Did you all come from WoW?. Aion had much better graphics and better mob/weapon design. They're really pretty average for a korean grinder. Nice but, standard stuff

Seriously? Aion? lol.

FYI Aion had low res textures for the environment in order to have high res textures on character models. Yeah Characters look amazing in Aion but the world, not so much. They did this for performance purposes, because the lag in big fights was horrible and even with this sacrifice in graphics, lag was horrid in sieges.

Tera has high res textures everywere,  characters and world look great. Everyone knows UE3 is fantastic.

And design wise is subjective, but Tera art design is gorgeous. Even better than Aion IMHO.

yea from a pure technical stand point the games graphics are great even if you hate the art style the textures and everything look great.. the actual atmoshpere could be better and some extra enviornmental effects would be nice but there a much bigger issues with TERA and graphics I wouldn't say is one of them

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'm playing tera at the moment.. when im on my own i'm bored oout of my mind. The questing IS terrible... but when I'm playing with my bro and my dad, archer / warrior / priest, we storm through the boring stuff so fast that it all becomes about the BAMs and we do have a pretty good time.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by elocke

I have the same problem with this game's mobs that I do with SWTORs.  It's not the lack of variety, it's how they are placed and set up.  You either fight 1 single mob, which I like or you fight 1 mob and his 8 little friends which is annoying as all hell, specially when they get under your feet and for some reason the targeting doesn't always hit them.  Can't hit a mob at point blank range?  WTF!!!  Every quest tells you to go fight clumps of these or the single mobs.  I actually jump for joy when I get collect quests and deliver quests because those let me see something new. 

Again, just like SWTOR, this game has no real depth.  SWTOR had story and no combat with lackluster enemy clusters and boring leveling.  Tera has combat with lackluster enemy clusters, boring leveling and a pitiful story.

If I could take Tera's combat and throw it into games like EQ2, Aion, and SWTOR I would be a happy camper.

1 single mob, which you like? LOL. Talk about slow and boring.

This is not your old school single tab targeting boring combat mmo. In Tera if you agro N mobs you hit them all with the same blow. It will take the same time to kill 1 mob or several mobs together.

I always agro 4 or 5 mobs together, the minions are a total non issue as they die after 2 blows, I never need to aim at them, it's as it they weren't even there. And when there's only minions, 1 blow with an AOE skill kills them all.

1 quest is usually between 10 and 15 mobs. So I fight 2 or 3 times per quest. This is too quick, IMHO they should give at least 50 mobs per quest; but then all the people who don't know how to play will complain about "the grind".

Try to play a class with some decent AOE skills. For example, doing this with a Warrior needs some concentration on your part (but is very doable). On the opposite, doing it with a Slayer is easy mode (now in the mid-30ies on the slayer I never dropped below 75% HP).

Doing this with a Bezerker you'll probably handle 7 or 10 mobs easily.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by Vannor

I'm playing tera at the moment.. when im on my own i'm bored oout of my mind. The questing IS terrible... but when I'm playing with my bro and my dad, archer / warrior / priest, we storm through the boring stuff so fast that it all becomes about the BAMs and we do have a pretty good time.

In all honesty, any game becomes that fun with those people.

Even WoW :).

Originally posted by BigMango

This is not your old school single tab targeting boring combat mmo. In Tera if you agro N mobs you hit them all with the same blow. It will take the same time to kill 1 mob or several mobs together.

Wait....what?

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Wait....what?

It takes the same time to kill 5 aggroed mobs than it takes to kill 1.

If you position the mobs properly, each blow hits them all for about the same damage.

This is easier if your class has AOE skills. With no AOE skill you need to work harder at lining them up.

Seriously, I can't believe people are playing the whole game fighing 1 mob at a time.

Wait....what?

If you position the mobs properly, each blow hit them all for about the same damage.

This is easier if your class has AOE skills. With no AOE skill you need to work harder at lining them up.

I had no idea. Kudos.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Wait....what?

If you position the mobs properly, each blow hits them all for about the same damage.

The damage is reduced a decent amount, unless you are a sorcerer and you can just nuke everything for ridiculous damage, regardless it's definitely much faster to pull multiple mobs and just swing your sword through them like a madman, that's for sure.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I agree with the OP.

Its a shame that the game has great combat but is so un imaginative in other areas.

Seems like a game either has great imagination and horrible combat, or vice versa.

I don't understand why a game can't bring both to the table.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by JudgeUK

Originally posted by Kuinn

Originally posted by Amjoco

I'm to get my copy by mail today. You guys are suppose to pump me up and get me excited about it! This is not helping! image

To bad the combat style couldn't been added to Rift or even Vanguards enviroment. Oh well, I'm going to use my imagination and mobs will look different no matter what! 

Actually to my experience TERA has very variying monsters on new areas when comparing to the games the OP did. At least till lvl30 every area has got mostly new or highly variying mobs, the OP is basically lying, the proof is right there when you play the game :)

Ofcourse there's quite some copy pasting too on certain areas and with certain mobs, nothing unexpected there, it's only natural to see certain mobs in many areas unless the lore specifically says that these guys can live only in map X because magical invisible walls prevent them from moving anywhere else. /facepalm

"At least till lvl30".....well chum the OP is currently lvl 35. Level up some more before calling me a liar.

First of all chum, I said it because you never mentioned your level so you might aswell be those lvl5 players whining about stuff. I'll get back to you and tell after 5 more levels if there all of a sudden was a huge influx of cloned mobs.

I was actually afraid that you were really high level player and the cloning had gotten ugly towards the end, but I am relieved now, knowing you're basically the same level and talking about stuff I never experienced.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Amjoco

Can we please have some moderation in the TERA subforums!? Why must every topic get polluted with GW2 vs. TERA talk?

I agree. Some guy didn't like Tera so in defense the Tera fans must have drug GW2 into it. It doesn't ever make sense! image

Try any of the forums here right now. It isn't Tera vs. GW2, it is "All other mmo's" vs. GW2.

You can't have a discussion on this site atm without someone touting how GW2 is already, beyond a doubt the greatest mmo ever. And you don't even have to ever played it to know this is an imperical truth.

Honestly, I've never seen such a hostile takeover from an unreleased game before.

----------------

On topic. Tera so far is a strange beast to me. While I don't like the quest structure, as it is a formula I've followed a million times before, I do find that the combat system makes it more fun than leveling in other games with the same structure.

My biggest beef against Tera right now is actually the innane 'Area' chat (at least at lower levels). It makes the barrens look like a mensa meeting. I'm giving the game to lvl 30. If the community is still a bunch of nerd ragers with a chip on their shoulders and an undeveloped sense of humor, I'm going elsewhere.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Can we please have some moderation in the TERA subforums!? Why must every topic get polluted with GW2 vs. TERA talk?

Because GW2 fanboys go out of their way to post about their game in other sub-forums. They don't have anything else to do while they wait for the next BWE..

Hi

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Alucardlb

Second Quest, go kill 5 elder tree monsters......uninstall

Then you should unistall all your mmo's

Tera mght not have a strong questing but the combat and evrything else makes up for it with eaze