Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA's Art Style...

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Xakot

Originally posted by Fierytex

Speaking as a female, I AM offended by the total lack of clothing on the female characters.  It is as if a bunch of teenaged boys programed the whole game.  I'm done playing it--nothing distinguishes it from every other mmo out there, the targeting is nice, but not enough to keep me playing.  Esp with TSW Beta starting up.

Pfft cause bikinis are completly bigfoot resistant right? Tsw is just a sexist just more realistic about it. Honestly i was really really excited about TSW... then i realised it was done by EA games. I want to love it it truely do but nothing good comes from that company.

O god EA has TSW.... dear god = I can't even imagine the shit they going to do for it like they did with dead space 2 and dante's inferno. Only serioulsy who the fuck in the planning department though that event for dante's inferno was remotely acceptable.... I nuke EA but it would hurt the gaming industry too much =

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Originally posted by rexzshadow

<snippage>

O god EA has TSW.... dear god = I can't even imagine the shit they going to do for it like they did with dead space 2 and dante's inferno. Only serioulsy who the fuck in the planning department though that event for dante's inferno was remotely acceptable.... I nuke EA but it would hurt the gaming industry too much =

EA is doing distribution for TSW is all. EA had not eaten FunCom last I checked.

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

All this thread proves is that a lot of people just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

My female castanic warrior wears what appears to be body paint and no more.. and when she takes a hit, she loses HP like she's wearing body paint... I guess I fail to see the problem..

The perfect bug free MMO could come out and people would complain that they needed a computer to play it....

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Mishakai

All this thread proves is that a lot of people just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

My female castanic warrior wears what appears to be body paint and no more.. and when she takes a hit, she loses HP like she's wearing body paint... I guess I fail to see the problem..

The perfect bug free MMO could come out and people would complain that they needed a computer to play it....

The complaint is that she has body paint on and no more....

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Kuppa

The Aman?? have you seen the Castanics?? Not sure how usefull an armor that does not protect your chest really is.....

Castanics are perfectly fine qq more plz

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by kanedaA

The Aman?? have you seen the Castanics?? Not sure how usefull an armor that does not protect your chest really is.....

A little too 'fine' if you ask me. My biggest beef with Tera graphics is the overly androgonous/drag-queenish Elf and Castanic males.

I think it is smart to be able to make an effeminate male using sliders and perhaps one or two face choices per race, because irl different races/cultures have members who  range from very masculine to very feminine, but to have entire races of only flamboyant effeminate males.......how about a little diversity. How about giving someone who wants to play a demon spawn, but not a demon spawn drag queen, a little choice. And if you aren't into emo/eurotrash/manga haircuts, good luck with any of the 'haircut' races.

• BeenGamingBeenGaming Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Zorgo

A little too 'fine' if you ask me. My biggest beef with Tera graphics is the overly androgonous/drag-queenish Elf and Castanic males.

I think it is smart to be able to make an effeminate male using sliders and perhaps one or two face choices per race, because irl different races/cultures have members who  range from very masculine to very feminine, but to have entire races of only flamboyant effeminate males.......how about a little diversity. How about giving someone who wants to play a demon spawn, but not a demon spawn drag queen, a little choice. And if you aren't into emo/eurotrash/manga haircuts, good luck with any of the 'haircut' races.

The Human males look normal, and have plenty of suitably masculine haircuts, and the Baraka are apparently some kind of modestly sized stone giant so you could play one of those races. Although, since you're toiling over a cartoon avatar in a fantasy video game on the internet, I'm not sure masculinity is what you're looking for.

Can you really see Mickey Mantle complaining that his lithe fantasy elven male video game character just didn't have a manly enough butch cut for him to power-bottom with?

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    IMO The art style - and that includes everything: the trees, the armor, weapons, monsters, sky - is one of the things, along with combat, that sets this game apart from others.

It's gorgeous. Because of it's pleasantness it's engrossing. The setting is not typical medieval fantasy per-se, but an overall fantasy with style. You want realistic portrayals of medieval fantasy armor you have AoC or LotRO. No other game I knows of is as stylish as this.
    "OMG women don't fight with stilettos!" Well, neither women nor men fight with swords twice their body mass much less with athletic spinning moves. Archers don't even use "physical arrows" but magic bolts.

The setting is that of a dream of the creation figures and is apt enough in that regard.

I enjoy that any character I make, whether male, female, draconic - is pleasant to look at. The setting and action make me think of the movie "Wanted" with Angelina Jolie, where characters are stylish and make fantastic moves like the orbiting bullet or cross town snipe shot. While the typical fantasy MMO setting is more like the setting of "Falling Down."

BTW, you can remodel your gear to look lime other gear, so if you think a piece of armor doesn't suit your character just remodel it.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i like Tera's art style with the only exception of the Elin race.....i draw the line at prepubscent girls wearing miniskirts that flutter in the wind.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

What you call effeminine is how easterners depict beauty in males in the East. The macho western style has nowhere near the same appeal in the female population there.

It's a matter of perspective among many things.

Don't need to go far, just look at all the male characters in Final Fantasy games and see if you could tell whether they are male by looking at their faces alone (as one example).

As for the Elins, again it is a matter of preference. The majority of Eastern players play Elin and Popori and races like Aman, Castanic and Humans are usually ignored. There is nothing in their culture that would incite the same reaction some of the westerners have towards that specific race.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Human males look as about al manly as you could find in any game. Same with Aman - both male and female lol.

And if you want a portly male you get your Baraka.

Or just play anything else if the looks of avatars can bend you out of shape that much.
  • mambomemambome Member Posts: 16

I like the highly idealized characters, and the overall artstyle of the game, but the Elin do kinda creep me out... especially after seeing them being chased around by Poppori named "Pedobear".

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Humans are ok.

Those fat guys that look like some kind of cross between a cybord and a greek statue are cool

The demon characters are cool as well, and not nearly as creepy when in a simple smock with a cut running up the middle and nothing on underneath...

The rest of the character are standard issue korean wierdo material.  Metro(for lack of a degrading word to a certain life style) / furries / pedo are the winning 3 that turn me off from most korean games.  At least here i can choose one of 3 acceptable races.

I can understand little kids liking the furries and the pedo character, must have been made for the kiddies...you know...since you cant access their web site even without putting in a b-day over the age of 18....and the blood splatter slider...kids love blood splatters, boob physics, and furries+pedo bait character...i guess...but the 18+ thing really ruins that all...

• CitalkayCitalkay Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i like Tera's art style with the only exception of the Elin race.....i draw the line at prepubscent girls wearing miniskirts that flutter in the wind.

+1

You make me have to repost what I already posted on the first page....

http://www.terafans.com/uploads/1278430102/gallery_24_4_5802427.png

http://www.terafans.com/uploads/1278428191/gallery_24_4_2568247.png

http://www.terafans.com/uploads/1278428191/gallery_24_4_2471033.png

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by skydiver12

wha wha wha????

You can mod the appearance, KEKEKE?

I am not talking about modifiying the appearance or not. I am pointing out the lack of protection of these armors because you gave us some lore bs about Aman. Im wondering what is the lore equivalent for Castanics needing to show their chests.....

Proving my point, it all comes down to art style and how Koreans don't really like to clothe their characters.

Honestly, who gives a shit?  If the armor style is something that would actually turn you off from a game, don't play it.  Why whine about it on the forums?  Those of us that are okay with it will play it.  Why would anyone make a big deal out of this?

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Originally posted by skydiver12

wha wha wha????

You can mod the appearance, KEKEKE?

I am not talking about modifiying the appearance or not. I am pointing out the lack of protection of these armors because you gave us some lore bs about Aman. Im wondering what is the lore equivalent for Castanics needing to show their chests.....

Proving my point, it all comes down to art style and how Koreans don't really like to clothe their characters.

Honestly, who gives a shit?  If the armor style is something that would actually turn you off from a game, don't play it.  Why whine about it on the forums?  Those of us that are okay with it will play it.  Why would anyone make a big deal out of this?

When you go to a forum and say you don't like a game or don't like something about a game you explain why. Wether you like it or not forums aren't just for positives, although Im sure you have NEVER been to forums and posted about what you don't like. Im sure you keep it to yourself image

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If fantasy armor and fantasy warriors were about useful and practical gear, I'd say you have a point... but it's not. The 100+ year history of fantasy art has consistently been more about the human form and fantastical environments than about any level of practicality.  Sexualized (not sexist) armor has been a mainstay of the genre.

If we want to stay within fantasy gaming, specifically RPGs, then a great example would be a Ring of Protection +1. Physically, it protects little more than a small stripe of skin on one finger, but magically it is as good as a robe or other light full-body garment. It's the magic of the item that increases your defense, not the physical size.

It has nothing to do with Koreans not wanting to clothe their characters as you suggested. The minimalist attire is as much a Western influence as anything else, as the Eastern style fantasy armor is more stylized and over the top, historically.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

this reminds me of a thread I saw about AoC shortly after its launch.

It too was talking about how the male barbarians looked a bit too naked.

Hah, I laughed then I laugh now, I don't know why its ok for us to sexualize females and not males... it just makes me wonder why you would be uncomfortable with your dragon showing some skin, I mean hes a dragon...

The art style is an objective thing, its not a fact thing, so its an opinion.  Yay for opinions!

Mine is that I love the art style.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

If fantasy armor and fantasy warriors were about useful and practical gear, I'd say you have a point... but it's not. The 100+ year history of fantasy art has consistently been more about the human form and fantastical environments than about any level of practicality.  Sexualized (not sexist) armor has been a mainstay of the genre.

If we want to stay within fantasy gaming, specifically RPGs, then a great example would be a Ring of Protection +1. Physically, it protects little more than a small stripe of skin on one finger, but magically it is as good as a robe or other light full-body garment. It's the magic of the item that increases your defense, not the physical size.

I understand the idea of a "magical" armor protecting beyond its physical properties. What I don't like and its obvious in Korean games is the skimpy females and over the top males. Last time I cheked you don't see "Sexualized" armor in WoW, literally the definition of mainstay of the genre.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

this reminds me of a thread I saw about AoC shortly after its launch.

It too was talking about how the male barbarians looked a bit too naked.

Hah, I laughed then I laugh now, I don't know why its ok for us to sexualize females and not males... it just makes me wonder why you would be uncomfortable with your dragon showing some skin, I mean hes a dragon...

The art style is an objective thing, its not a fact thing, so its an opinion.  Yay for opinions!

Mine is that I love the art style.

image Its completely opinion. Although maybe not for some femailes that are actually insulted with skimpy female characters. But, for the most part its all a matter of opinion and taste. I personally don't like the korean MMO art styles.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

It has nothing to do with Koreans not wanting to clothe their characters as you suggested. The minimalist attire is as much a Western influence as anything else, as the Eastern style fantasy armor is more stylized and over the top, historically.

I hope everyone reads this before commenting on other games being developed and how their armor isn't realistic or how their gear sucks. For years, each new MMO that comes out, gear has always been a hot topic, because if someone is going for realistic they lose the over the top appeal, yet if they go over the top, we have groups that hates its not realistic enough.

I don't play Tera, but their Armor is very cool looking, will they function in reality? NO WAY

Will they look good on COSPLAYERS , Especially the Female's . YES YES YES

Will they look good on Male Cosplayers, I don't really care!!!

So make the hardest to get gear for all Female Characters to be Bikini and Semi Nude gear that barely cover anything, I will support the Developer and Said that its their ARTISTIC VISION and ARTISTIC INTEGRITY and leave it at that.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I understand the idea of a "magical" armor protecting beyond its physical properties. What I don't like and its obvious in Korean games is the skimpy females and over the top males. Last time I cheked you don't see "Sexualized" armor in WoW, literally the definition of mainstay of the genre.

All of fantasy art isn't measured by WoW, no matter how many of you new to fantasy art/literature/gaming think that. Are you really saying that because WoW is popular, all fantasy art should look like that?

Barbarella, Heavy Metal, Sheena, Boris Vallejo, Conan the Barbarian, Xena ... they all did it wrong. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Yes you do actually and loads of it, both in WoW (especially the Elves) and Everquest.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

All of fantasy art isn't measured by WoW, no matter how many of you new to fantasy art/literature/gaming think that. Are you really saying that because WoW is popular, all fantasy art should look like that?

Barbarella, Heavy Metal, Sheena, Boris Vallejo, Conan the Barbarian, Xena ... they all did it wrong. :)

The ones you mentioned is more on the basis of which came first, the clothing design or the literature. Because I don't think they mentioned in Conan that Barbarians don't wear cloth when fighting, of course Barbarians don't have the means to create heavy armor but still, where in the literature said Xena wears only a blouse and have every major organ exposed. In the movies it just looks better , just like in TERA they just looks better.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.