Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Should Elder Scrolls Online Be F2P?

Comments

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

They can have whatever payment system they want. Hell, they can have a "We'll pay you to play" system and I still wouldn't touch this washed out turd with the TES title thrown on it.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Ridan477

In all honesty i dont really see anybody besides GW2 wanting to start as b2p or f2p every mmo wants to be like WoW making the millions they are off of subs.

Don't misunderstand the situation.

GW2 start as B2P because they want to make MORE money not less.

Same as with games starting or changing to F2P / freemium or whatever model.

They are not charity ,they want to earn more.

Thing is some games start to be developed as P2P and their business plan and whole game is wrapped arounf this idea so not so easy to say "well let's release as F2P instead".

They have loans , business plans and investors.

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

If they take GW2's business model I would happily pay for it.

A sub fee is a scam, always has been.

-I am here to perform logic

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by Ridan477

In all honesty i dont really see anybody besides GW2 wanting to start as b2p or f2p every mmo wants to be like WoW making the millions they are off of subs.

Don't misunderstand the situation.

GW2 start as B2P because they want to make MORE money not less.

Same as with games starting or changing to F2P / freemium or whatever model.

They are not charity ,they want to earn more.

Thing is some games start to be developed as P2P and their business plan and whole game is wrapped arounf this idea so not so easy to say "well let's release as F2P instead".

They have loans , business plans and investors.

with in the end are the ones who kill games, investors, only for the money force a "garantee" way to make  a buck, the result? a stale genre who are not evolving.

I know most of you guys love the "they need money" and all, but most cases is not need money is the pure and flat greed

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Theonenoni

If they take GW2's business model I would happily pay for it.

A sub fee is a scam, always has been.

You're right, sub fees have always been a scam. We should have stuck to having to pay by the fucking minute. image

Sorry, the only ones who thought subs were a scam were those who couldn't afford a measley $15.

"Free to play" is the biggest fucking scam there ever was when it comes to payment types, but since even Johnny Basement can afford the entrance fee, it's suddenly the greatest thing ever.

It's designed for nothing but entitled children who think they have a "right" to play any game made being subsidized by those willing to pay for their hobby.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by alkarionlog

Originally posted by fenistil

with in the end are the ones who kill games, investors, only for the money force a "garantee" way to make  a buck, the result? a stale genre who are not evolving.

I know most of you guys love the "they need money" and all, but most cases is not need money is the pure and flat greed

I am not "they need money guy".  I am a player and I care for my player interest. Not corporate interest.

I am just saying that companies choose their business model (be it F2P , B2P  or P2P or freemium or whatever) because they want MORE MONEY for their shareholders ,not because they want player to feel better or anything. 

They just choose a business model that they think their game will make most money with. Simple as that. Yes greed.

Cause it seemed like alkarionlog presumed that it was otherwise.

Also this was no post for defending P2P or anyother model. My next mmorpg will be GW2 which is B2P afterall (and another ArcheAge which hopefully will be P2P ).

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

If its what they have alluded to, I think it should be aborted before it gets born

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

It depends on what kind of F2P model. They definitely should not go with any kind of pay-to-win model, and I wouldn't mind shelling out for expansion/DLC as long as it was price appropriate. Don't charge me $20 for an expansion that is like 2 new races and some more endgame content. But also don't go like Sony and throw 100 expansions at us in one year. They should experiment with different ways to monetize, like how Diablo 3 is supposed to let players auction stuff for real money, and then Blizzard gets a percentage. So the Elder Scrolls mmo should ideally have you buy the game for retail value, then keep us constantly supplied with cheap but cool expansions. I wouldn't mind a sort of micro-expansion system, where you buy new races for like $2 per race, as long as they didn't turn it into a pay-to-win where the expansion races had noticeable benefits over stock.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No it sounds like a quality AAA game that's worth paying a sub for.
  • GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

I know the whole basis of this column is the free to play concept, but not every game should go f2p.  You seem to see this future where MMOs in general stop charging subs and turn into these B2p or cashshop games.

I don't see the same future you do, there's a huge stigma associated with F2P and it's not going away anytime soon.  I believe that people who play these games associate F2P with failed games trying to cling to existence or asian grinders imported en masse to our doorsteps.

Wether or not TES is guna be decent is far enough out yet to make any kind of call, but discussing wether or not every new game that does come out should be free to play is getting old.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

F2P, B2P, Sub... Who gives a shit, just stop trying to sell us garbage.

• lazjenlazjen Member Posts: 17

Given my experience with Lotro (played from near start for about 4 years) and now GW/GW2, I doubt I'll ever do a sub based game ever again.  I'll do F2P/B2P + micro-transactions.  Why?  Because it seems they eventually end up that way anyway so paying extra subs just seems wrong now.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Sampparound

Why not have both? You can choose if you want a set rate to pay for all the features, or you can play for free with some limitations which you can unlock by paying for each feature. EQ and EQ2 already operates like this, seems to me like the best of both worlds.

I for one don't see myself playing a free to play MMORPG. I'm more than happy to play for good service.

Urgh SoE F2P models should not be emulated by anyone. They are horrible.

Its basically sub to win with tonnes of crap on the market that even sub players will need to buy.

• ginno123ginno123 Member Posts: 1

What do you mean future? B2P has been the model since the game industry started. You need to BUY the game in order TO PLAY it. Don't tell me all games in the past were given out for free? Future? Where was your head the whole time?

With the F2P model being a good model to attract both paying and non-paying players, i think this game will attract more into its game. The only reason i see why players want a B2P or P2P model is because they got used to the WoW mentality that if you can pay, you are superior. F2P games tend to offer better service because if you can voice out any problem, the developer/publisher can easily do something about the game. Not wait for months for an expansion just for a simple fix of a bug.

But with the title, i doubt it will be F2P. Maybe it will start of as a B2P game then become P2P then end up being F2P if the player base is not met. Just a prediction.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

No matter what is decided, it WILL eventually end up F2P :)

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

No.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Why is there someone writing for MMORPG.com that doesnt know the difference between Free 2 Play and Buy 2 Play?!?

I cannot invision this company making a TES MMO that I would buy let alone pay a monthly fee for. You cannot make a TES game an MMO without changing much of the fundamentals of the series...and without fan made content...you just took the heart out of the games.

The Elder Scrolls games are great because of the FAN made content that made it popular...they dont get it because of the massive corporation running the show that isnt in touch with its consumers, or its own subdivisions...Bethesda knows it. The fan made mods kept the games selling and the popularity high years after most games fall to the wayside.

Just look at some of the mods made for Oblivion just this last month...that game is 7 years old!

This MMO will be TES in name only.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

All I know is that if they are ever at the point where they sell horse armor again, it's f**kin on.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

If it just ends up as D&D Online pretty much, what the hell is the point?

• AemiAemi Member Posts: 148
    I think not making it is the best option.. I won't play a WoW clone with the Elder Scrolls name. It looks terrible too. Why the cartoon look? Such a departure from Skyrim.
  • YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83

Well to say one thing i'm not gonna pay a monthly fee for a game if it craps on the TES game mechanics , for example it's gonna be played and look like wow, which means tab targeting and skill bars and third person view, right there would make any TES hardcore fan sick to the stomach, so if they don't change that to the proper mechanics (look at mortal online) then i'm not gonna pay no monthly fee , for a cheap quick TES brand name mmo with crap gameplay.

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83

Also mortal online graphics are not half bad so TES are just doing the cheap way which makes me think it's gonna suck balls.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Sampparound

Why not have both? You can choose if you want a set rate to pay for all the features, or you can play for free with some limitations which you can unlock by paying for each feature. EQ and EQ2 already operates like this, seems to me like the best of both worlds.

I for one don't see myself playing a free to play MMORPG. I'm more than happy to play for good service.

Freemium is not the best of 2 worlds. As a none subscriber in EQ2 you get a few races and classes, and some of the loot and even quest rewards you get are useless.

Nah, ESO should go B2P as GW 1&2 and Class 4 instead. They will still get the millions of boxsales, can have an itemshop ( one with slightly less game impact than F2P) and still get those loads of players. That is the best of 2 worlds, not freemium.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I couldnt say.  Really. 

Should Elder Scrolls Online be F2P?   Im still on the fence entirely on whether or not it should actually BE at all. 

Im a huge ES fan too.  And Im not liking this one bit. 

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I want it b2p then buy the xpacs.  No sub kind of like gw.