Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creative director of TESO, "When you heal another player, you become their hero"

wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

In the interview on gameinformer he said, "You will be a hero to the NPCs and when you heal another player, you become their hero." 

Realllly?

This is the creative director for the game we wanted to love....The creative director.

Comments

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

It would appear that the company is made up of mostly weapon grade stupid.

Not saying the game will be bad, though some are way too optimistic considering how little we know, (which doesn’t seem too impressive),but this company needs a better PR department, they made bad choices in their phrasing, and the nit pickers are having a field day.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by wrekognize

In the interview on gameinformer he said, "You will be a hero to the NPCs and when you heal another player, you become their hero." 

Realllly?

This is the creative director for the game we wanted to love....The creative director.

I dont know about the rest of you TES players but being recognized  as hero was never a motovation. I just wanted to see what was inside that cave up in the hill that was kind of hard to get to.

In the 'personality of gamers' I would think TES is dead center 'Explorer' types

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Realllly?

I kind of understood his meaning. He was trying to explain heroism in an MMO setting. Which isn't an easy thing to put into words. Saving a life is a heroic action after all.

Anyone else notice he looked like MC'lovin when he laughed?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

I always thought TES was about walking around till you see a cave and go in to see whats in it kind of game. I was never a hero in Morrowind or Skyrim, more of a thief and assassin that went out looking for treasure.

I really hope they bring out some actual game footages so that we can put the rumors and interviews to rest. These interviews are just not helping their cause.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

There are some things he says in that video that make me wonder if he has ever played an MMO

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Every title has been about the "chosen one". The hero to save the world from the great evil. That's the main story in TES games. You can ignore that sure, but that's the premise of the main part of the game.

Originally posted by Distopia

Every title has been about the "chosen one". The hero to save the world from the great evil. That's the main story in TES games. You can ignore that sure, but that's the premise of the main part of the game.

what game or MMO is that not the main premise of the game?

I mean to be fair being a hero for the NPC that has given you a quest defines every quest ever made pretty much. How is it different exactly?

regardles, as its been said by me and a few others TES is not about the story or quests its about exploring

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I mean to be fair being a hero for the NPC that has given you a quest defines every quest ever made pretty much. How is it different exactly?

regardles, as its been said by me and a few others TES is not about the story or quests its about exploring

TES is about whatever it is to you, and not much more.

Edit: You're wrong that every MMORPG focuses on being a hero.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Realllly?

wait wait, so let me guess......when you damage oneother player, you become their nemesis?....:P

/facepalm

Which MMO doesnt? I am sure that is true, most of them are sandbox(ish) but even Darkfall implies heroism

Which MMO doesnt? I am sure that is true, most of them are sandbox(ish) but even Darkfall implies heroism

IF you just want one example check out A tale in the Desert.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

It's because of the hero engine. Everything must be heroic when you use that engine.

i copy paste from the wiki

HeroMaterial 

Hero Character

HeroScript

HeroBlade

HeroScript

Hero's Journey

HeroCloud®

Hero Asset Tools

Hero Export

Hero Utilities

Hero Machine

ok.

is it unfair or incorrect for me to say that a hero based questing system or story matches the vast majority of MMOs and that its not hard to explain nor is it a feature that sets you apart nor is it even worth mentioning because its assume in most quest lines

or do you think that statement is fairly inaccurate or unreasonable?

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Realllly?

I dont know about the rest of you TES players but being recognized  as hero was never a motovation. I just wanted to see what was inside that cave up in the hill that was kind of hard to get to.

In the 'personality of gamers' I would think TES is dead center 'Explorer' types

This one hundred times image

I know this is pure speculation so I'll remain skeptical, but from what I've been hearing so far this game is being design (mainly) with the generic (themepark?) MMO audience in mind... something I consider very bad for the franchise image

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by dronfwar

It's because of the hero engine. Everything must be heroic when you use that engine.

i copy paste from the wiki

HeroMaterial 

Hero Character

HeroScript

HeroBlade

HeroScript

Hero's Journey

HeroCloud®

Hero Asset Tools

Hero Export

Hero Utilities

Hero Machine

+1

Just made me laugh image

Originally posted by Ghabbo

Realllly?

This one hundred times image

I know this is pure speculation so I'll remain skeptical, but from what I've been hearing so far this game is being design (mainly) with the generic (themepark?) MMO audience in mind... something I consider very bad for the franchise image

they are taking a huge risk in my mind. Not because of the style of the MMO itself but because its targeted for an entirelly different player base so they have to assume they will lose many core players and hope to gain different players. That is a risk that they dont have to take becuase the core players for this game is already very large and a specific personality type.

ok.

is it unfair or incorrect for me to say that a hero based questing system or story matches the vast majority of MMOs and that its not hard to explain nor is it a feature that sets you apart nor is it even worth mentioning because its assume in most quest lines

If you worded it that way I wouldn't have said anything in response. :P

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

ok.

I fail to understand why after ~20 years of mainstream internet, chat, forums and BBS etc. people -still- are unable to tell when someone is using hyperbole...

Originally posted by AdamTM

ok.

I fail to understand why after ~20 years of mainstream internet, chat, forums and BBS etc. people -still- are unable to tell when someone is using hyperbole...

one has to be able to have the IQ to differentiate between absolutes and measures of degree. many people do not or pretend not to which demonstrates just about as much IQ as not having the skill mentioned

one has to be able to have the IQ to differentiate between absolutes and measures of degree. many people do not or pretend not to which demonstrates just about as much IQ as not having the skill mentioned

My IQ is high enough to know when I'm asked a direct question.

"what game or MMO is that not the main premise of the game?"

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I killed the emperor because an undead witch told me to. Am I a hero???? Lol.

Edit: Never did I play TES to become a hero. I was simply made a hero by the action I chose to take. I dont rez people or heal them. I kills them.

Originally posted by Zaltark

What part of main story did I not clarify?

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Originally posted by Zaltark
    What part of main story did I not clarify?

|

How many people play TES just for 'The main story'???? Thats the point of everyones statement. TES is more than just a 'main story'. This MMO is not built with the same spirit as TES games.

That was not the question I asked regarding the response we are talking about. its a question I asked at some point but the question in question...really?

let me try again.

If you think EQ2 housing is a horrible design and not emmerisive then is it safe for me to assume you do not like Skyrim housing either if I am incorrect in that assumption can you please explain why in the context of EQ2 housing?

Thank you. Consider it an essay question and I am your teacher, i will fail you if you answer evavisly.

That was not the question I asked regarding the response we are talking about. its a question I asked at some point but the question in question...really?

let me try again.

If you think EQ2 housing is a horrible design and not emmerisive then is it safe for me to assume you do not like Skyrim housing either if not can you please describe the differences between EQ2 housing in which you perfer Skyrim?'

Thank you

Wrong thread? :P