Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Housing?

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I think the article said player housing is not possible as the players want it.

well assuming for a moment that the housing in the smash hit game called Skyrim is how TES players at least 'like it' how is it a housing system that is more basic than EQ2 hard to do 'as players want it'?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

well assuming for a moment that the housing in the smash hit game called Skyrim is how TES players at least 'like it' how is it a housing system that is more basic than EQ2 hard to do 'as players want it'?

Speaking for myself only I think the EQ2 style is a horrible design and completely unimerssive. As someone who loved my house in SWG, trying out EQ2's housing was a huge letdown. So many things to say about it from the fact that 1000's of people shared my apartment an apartment that had one room at that, to an apartment building with 10 rooms having 500 people standing in the lobby.

The problem I'm starting to see from a lot of you unhappy about the direction of this game is you're revising every complaint about many of these games to suit your needs. Why not just be honest, and say I refuse to understand anything this company is doing, what they're saying, and I will not (on prinicple) like anything they will do.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Distopia

Speaking for myself only I think the EQ2 style is a horrible design and completely unimerssive. As someone who loved my house in SWG, trying out EQ2's housing was a huge letdown. So many things to say about it from the fact that 1000's of people shared my apartment an apartment that had one room at that, to an apartment building with 10 rooms having 500 people standing in the lobby.

The problem I'm starting to see from a lot of you unhappy about the direction of this game is you're revising every complaint about many of these games to suit your needs. Why not just be honest, and say I refuse to understand anything this company is doing, what they're saying, and I will not (on prinicple) like anything they will do.

is it safe for me to assume then that you found Skyrim housing a 'horrible design and completely unimerssive ' as well and if not could you please explain the differences.

is it safe for me to assume then that you found Skyrim housing a 'horrible design and completely unimerssive ' as well and if not could you please explain the differences.

Uhm why would any of those things effect a SP game?

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

I don't think those that are unhappy is unhappy with it being different than their vision of what TESO is suppose to be.

Its more of how its so unfamiliar to TES that is this still a TES game?

There has been 4 TES games, not counting all the ones before it. So its engraved into people's minds especially in what an TES online game should play and feel since the main difference is that one is Single Player and the other is Multiplayer.

Remember that Warcraft was never an Single Player RPG, it was an RTS that was reinvented into an Online RPG, TES is already an RPG, that is being changed into Multiplayer mode. The amount of changes is challenging their followers to accept.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Uhm why would any of those things effect a SP game?

that doesnt answer the question. My question is related to what i orginally posted at the lead for this thread.

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

I dont think alot of people are unhappy because the game hasen't features they would like or that the company making it isn't doing what the people want. I think people are unhappy about this game because its not in anyway shape or form Elder scrolls and they should call it something else and find a different setting for the game that suits the developers direction for the game.

Originally posted by Lucioon

I don't think those that are unhappy is unhappy with it being different than their vision of what TESO is suppose to be.

Its more of how its so unfamiliar to TES that is this still a TES game?

There has been 4 TES games, not counting all the ones before it. So its engraved into people's minds especially in what an TES online game should play and feel since the main difference is that one is Single Player and the other is Multiplayer.

Remember that Warcraft was never an Single Player RPG, it was an RTS that was reinvented into an Online RPG, TES is already an RPG, that is being changed into Multiplayer mode. The amount of changes is challenging their followers to accept.

I don't have a problem with them not liking the direction of the game for what ever reason that may be. It's being disingenuous and passive agressive about it that bugs me.

that doesnt answer the question. My question is related to what i orginally posted at the lead for this thread.

I answered why I don't want instanced type's of housing.

you answered a different question, not the question I asked. would you like me to ask the question again? I would perfer to re-read my question

Originally posted by Shari

I dont think alot of people are unhappy because the game hasen't features they would like or that the company making it isn't doing what the people want. I think people are unhappy about this game because its not in anyway shape or form Elder scrolls and they should call it something else and find a different setting for the game that suits the developers direction for the game.

What part of not liking the direction does not cover that?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

It isn't hard to do at all. Plenty of games did it. Just comes down on clever interior instancing and making it all feel believable (i.e. not a hundred people entering the same door at the same time). It seems terribly lacklustre to not offer in in Tes game and it might be indicative of where priorities lie with the developer.

you answered a different question, not the question I asked. would you like me to ask the question again? I would perfer to re-read my question

How could they do a skyrim type of housing more simple than EQ2, if it's not instanced and people sharing homes?

Originally posted by DarkPony

It isn't hard to do at all. Plenty of games did it. Just comes down on clever interior instancing and making it all feel believable (i.e. not a hundred people entering the same door at the same time). It seems terribly lacklustre to not offer in in Tes game and it might be indicative of where priorities lie with the developer.

I think when they say what players want they're thinking of UO and SWG not skyrim. The creative director was a UO dev after all.

the 'out' that they gave themselves is 'as players want it'. they know and anyone with a measurable IQ knows that was an out. It depends on what player you are talking about, it depends on level of 'want'

Do I 'want' housing in an MMO like Skyrim has? sure does that mean I 'dont want' something even better? no.

its a matter of degree's. Alll gamers should be insulted by their response by implying absolutes.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Personally i don't know why Player housing is such a big problem. ITs not like its gonna be a Real Estate simulation. Its not like the properties is hot commodity. And there is a class for Realtors, that we need to have open houses and such.

They should just give everyone a hole with a torch and a chest, thats all someone needs. Like a mailbox slot in an post office.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Lucioon

Personally i don't know why Player housing is such a big problem. ITs not like its gonna be a Real Estate simulation. Its not like the properties is hot commodity. And there is a class for Realtors, that we need to have open houses and such.
    They should just give everyone a hole with a torch and a chest, thats all someone needs. Like a mailbox slot in an post office.

I am glad you don't design games.

*shrugs*

Housing and hoarding is a big deal in TES. Also I don't like them for thinking for me. How do they know what I would like or not like in the real estate department? For me it doesn't have to be a unique house with a unique place in the world. There's too many mmorpg's without housing as it is and seieng how it has always been a big deal in TES games it seem awfully lacklustre to not have any (of whichever kind).

edit: This was aimed at Sean and Disto

*shrugs*

Housing and hoarding is a big deal in TES. Also I don't like them for thinking for me. How do they know what I would like or not like in the real estate department? For me it doesn't have to be a unique house with a unique place in the world. There's too many mmorpg's without housing as it is and seieng how it has always been a big deal in TES games it seem awfully lacklustre to not have any (of whichever kind).

For years forum crowds have been clamoring for the old UO or SWG days of open real-estate, and complaining about "lazy" implementations like EQ2's, LOTRO's and other instanced out of the world housing systems.@ sean Or maybe I just have a low IQ...

*shrugs*

For years forum crowds have been clamoring for the old UO or SWG days of open real-estate, and complaining about "lazy" implementations like EQ2's, LOTRO's and other instanced out of the world housing systems.@ sean Or maybe I just have a low IQ...

That wasn't me. I settle for any housing. Even a stable :)

I'd build you the biggest stable in Tamriel if I could, and feed you apples. Only if you served as my heroic steed of course :). I doubt Tard will be around :P.

Distopia,

1. when they use phrases like 'players want..' if they are not refering to TES players without at least explictly mentioning otherwise then they are epically stupid.

2. I didnt recieve the survey of what I want or dont want in player housing. Skyrim has instance housing what players did they specifically talk to that led them to the impression that 'players dont..' want the same housing that is in Skyrim.

3. I know you are smarter than all of this, why are we playing this game?

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

*shrugs*

edit: This was aimed at Sean and Disto

You could instance houses anyways, like in the real TES, and place the entrances in different places.

You could essentially offer many choices where to live. Like some housings could be placed in a location like Markarth in Skyrim, a city built into the mountain, that way you just need a unique door triggering the instance.

It would be easier than having to add real houses in the game.

Still i would prefer building your own house, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker if they had a rudimentary system.

I'd build you the biggest stable in Tamriel if I could, and feed you apples. Only if you served as my heroic steed of course :). I doubt Tard will be around :P.

Sounded all good, but then you had to mention the H word ... *shakes hoof*

Yeah, I expect mister Core will be watching this from a very safe distance.

Distopia,

1. when they use phrases like 'players want..' if they are not refering to TES players without at least explictly mentioning otherwise then they are epically stupid.

2. I didnt recieve the survey of what I want or dont want in player housing. Skyrim has instance housing what players did they specifically talk to that led them to the impression that 'players dont..' want the same housing that is in Skyrim.

3. I know you are smarter than all of this, why are we playing this game?

It's not playing a game it's called having a different perspective.

I'm looking at a devs background and applying that to the things they say, these are MMO devs afterall ( Page, and Firor). One from UO one from DAOC. SO when a dev talks about housing and talks about player wants I automatically assume he's talking from his own background and experience.

WHere as you're talking from your own perspective.

Sounded all good, but then you had to mention the H word ... *shakes hoof*

Yeah, I expect mister Core will be watching this from a very safe distance.

Well I was gonna say serve as my mount but along with the other statement I felt it sounded too much like man-love :).