Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: The Future of Arborea

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that En Masse Entertainment has officially launched TERA, the team had a few minutes to breathe again and we caught up with Senior Producer Brian Knox to talk about what will come next for Arborea. See what we discovered and then leave us a comment or two.

MMORPG.com: So… for starters: how does it feel to finally have launched TERA? I imagine you’ve caught up on sleep a little bit?

Brian Knox: Phew! Launching an MMO is a huge task, and it feels as though a giant weight has been lifted off our shoulders—but this is just the start. An MMO is only as good as the service you provide, and the hard work of maintaining and servicing TERA has just begun. Our attention is on all details of the game and platform. This includes billing issues, game issues, patcher issues, forums issues—you name it, we are prioritizing to fix or add it.

Read more of Bill Murphy's TERA: The Future of Arborea.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Great read, I am really glad theat they are taking PVP into consideration as much as PVE which is great imo. The server vs server is going to be amazing I tell you :), lets hope they come in Server invasaion too because it would make it 100x better.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Originally posted by Azmodai

Great read, I am really glad theat they are taking PVP into consideration as much as PVE which is great imo. The server vs server is going to be amazing I tell you :), lets hope they come in Server invasaion too because it would make it 100x better.

Uhhh, hate to burst your bubble, but, the Server Vs Server sounded unlikely - note how they called it a "blue sky idea" meaning its a long way off if ever.  To be honest even battlegrounds sound a long way off based on that interview (note how he said they had to dedicate some of their team to other areas).

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by crysent
    Originally posted by Azmodai Great read, I am really glad theat they are taking PVP into consideration as much as PVE which is great imo. The server vs server is going to be amazing I tell you :), lets hope they come in Server invasaion too because it would make it 100x better.  
    Uhhh, hate to burst your bubble, but, the Server Vs Server sounded unlikely - note how they called it a "blue sky idea" meaning its a long way off if ever.  To be honest even battlegrounds sound a long way off based on that interview (note how he said they had to dedicate some of their team to other areas).

Server vs server may happen and it may not, but the wrong person was asked either way.

En Masse can make changes to Tera but they cant develop anything, only Blue Hole can develop new content for Tera.

En Masse can increase the fall height pause restriction to 5 meters if enough people complain but they cant add server vs server PvP if Blue Hole decides to pass on it.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Thank god they will work on pvp cause for now its just not good enough at least for me

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by crysent

Originally posted by Azmodai Great read, I am really glad theat they are taking PVP into consideration as much as PVE which is great imo. The server vs server is going to be amazing I tell you :), lets hope they come in Server invasaion too because it would make it 100x better.  

Server vs server may happen and it may not, but the wrong person was asked either way.

En Masse can make changes to Tera but they cant develop anything, only Blue Hole can develop new content for Tera.

En Masse can increase the fall height pause restriction to 5 meters if enough people complain but they cant add server vs server PvP if Blue Hole decides to pass on it.

From the very beginning En Masse stated they are not like most companies that just publish a game, they actually have the ability to control all the content that goes into TERA and they are working with blue hole to add in any content they want added.

This was like a major selling point...

Just saying.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

If they're adding new dungeons and raids every month, I'm happy! :)

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

Thank god they will work on pvp cause for now its just not good enough at least for me

Meh for me if I want pvp I play a pvp game, like EVE.  imo gear based games make incredibly bad PvP games, and ultimatley nerfs to PvE content for PVP and vice-versa make both experiences suck. (although the skills part of this game might make up for some of that .. honestly dont know how gear driven end game is yet)

TERA is a mad fun PVE game, would hate to see that ruined by trying to force PVP on it.

but either way,  not going to be a "sky is falling" event for me either way, will check out what they put in and either make the best of it or ignore it.

BTW I am totally hooked on TERA right now, its interrupting my EVE time, fortunatley have some long skills to train atm ;0)

~D

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Tera to me is strictly a hard core PvP game, with the poor questing system it is hard to believe anyone plays PvE

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    TERA has the best PvE in an MMO to date. The PvP is crazy broken ATM, but my focus is having fun with BAMs, dungeons, questing and watching My character grow in power.

Joined - July 2004

• MrwhoMrwho Member UncommonPosts: 12

Great read, the guys at  En Masse have made a great game.  You cant keep all the people happy, all the time.  For someone who has been playing MMO's the last 10 years, Tera has brought some new challenges to the table.   Its kept my attention, and as I lvl it just keeps getting better and better.  Best PVP game out there!

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Say what you will about TERA, but En Masse kind of kicks ass.

Cheers to them, it seems like they have their priorities straight. He's not set on pushing his own ideas down our throats, he's letting the players decide what they need to focus on.

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

Awesome game

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Is he speaking for the localization side or the Korean development side?  Sounds like he's talking about a game that just launched vs one that's been available in Korea for over a year, which makes the interview a very weird read.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

One thing you have to remember, this guy gets the code from a company in Korea.  Now they do modify it somewhat, but how much can they really change would be a question to ask.  The game still suffers from lack of content in Korea, so are they able to add their own content or are they reliant on their Korean partners.

Oh and anyone who thinks this is best pvp out there has very limited MMO playing time.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Post 50 this game needs retuning its way too hard (if your not there you will be and dont say I didnt warn you) it doesnt keep pace with the game you played before. They need to put the stuff back in like er nexu's and kill the lag in the endgame dungeons. EU.

• JeridJerid Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I wish before people posted ignorant embarrassingly incorrect info they'd do a little research. En Masse has 100% control over ALL the content that goes into their game. They stated this MANY times, they are not like other games that just have a publisher that is very hands off, En Masse GENERATES their own content as they desire.
  • IstafeinIstafein Member UncommonPosts: 70

[Mod Edit]

Good read, and I really look forward to seeing where TERA goes from here. I'm having a blast. The combat alone is a breath of fresh air for me.

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6-34

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by Jerid

I wish before people posted ignorant embarrassingly incorrect info they'd do a little research. En Masse has 100% control over ALL the content that goes into their game. They stated this MANY times, they are not like other games that just have a publisher that is very hands off, En Masse GENERATES their own content as they desire.

I just whished people would provided sources with their infos so that we know they're speaking the truth.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Love the game but I would like to see 3 changes.

1. A suggestions forum on the TERA forums.

2. Ingame voice chat to make partying with randoms for BAM's etc a more immersive experience, ala Lotro.

3. Only make 1 "low" channel available at a time on PvP servers, having 8 channels always available turns pvp servers into pve servers. Its too easy to avoid conflict.

I'll be playing this for a long time, but please consider the above.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Originally posted by marcust

3. Only make 1 "low" channel available at a time on PvP servers, having 8 channels always available turns pvp servers into pve servers. Its too easy to avoid conflict.

If there's not enaugh people than ther are not 8 channels open.

Must say you're pretty delussional by thinking overloading one channel with 8 channels would do any good. Nor from technical standpoint, nor questing (not enaugh mobs), nor perma locking a newbie zone with highg level char 1 hitting everyone. None of these things would do any good to game, so you may as well wipe that thought out of your mind.

So go and level up - at higher levels, due to majority of population still being low level, zones have only 1 channel.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Brian Knox: Well, the break point is really at about three meters, not three feet, and I don’t know anyone who can take a three-meter fall without breaking stride! Can you? Pics or it didn’t happens.

Right underneath the picture with the small guy wielding an impossibly large axe fighting a massive dragon. Gotta love when people compare RPGs to real life.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by StarI

Originally posted by marcust

If there's not enaugh people than ther are not 8 channels open.

Must say you're pretty delussional by thinking overloading one channel with 8 channels would do any good. Nor from technical standpoint, nor questing (not enaugh mobs), nor perma locking a newbie zone with highg level char 1 hitting everyone. None of these things would do any good to game, so you may as well wipe that thought out of your mind.

So go and level up - at higher levels, due to majority of population still being low level, zones have only 1 channel.

Ya, it's sort of funny when someone says "conflict", but actually means "Lowbie gankage".

Those 2 are not the same.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

People speculate way too much based off of their own assumption while trying to make it sound as if they have an insider's professional insight. Worry about today, and let tomorrow worry about itself.

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

I like brian, he's always been the face of any game he is a part of. Even back in Aion, he was the guy that would answer questions.

I am disappointed at the end game though, even when I played K-tera the game seemed lacking in end game.

People might not like it, Raiding with TERA would just be amazing. The Rifting event just invovled too many people. TERA has the lore to create more, better and smaller raids for any guild. I hope they get to that before boredom takes over.

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Could you please add some more masculine clothing options across most of the races? My Castanic is really cool looking, but he dresses like a hair metal singer from the 80s. It's embarassing. I love the game though. Thank you.