Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera - the most boring repeatable mobs in recent mmo's

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by NBlitz

Can we please have some moderation in the TERA subforums!? Why must every topic get polluted with GW2 vs. TERA talk?

I agree. Some guy didn't like Tera so in defense the Tera fans must have drug GW2 into it. It doesn't ever make sense! image

More a reflex, if you check the forum during the CBT it was pretty much GW2 fans constantly attacking Tera. So kinda automaticaly assume people attacking Tera are GW2 fans.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Teekay

So i've actually been playing Tera.

Issues i have.

1) The crosshair, when you're strafing a mob and you go for an attack it will attack according to the direction you're facing in, not where your crosshair is. So really you're aiming with your character. So you have to strafe, make sure your character is facing the mob and then go for it (at least for melee...) . So really it's a frontal arc target area, much like most other mmos. This confused me since i was assured that it was all based on where the crosshair was facing.

2)  The mobs are really slow to face you, i'm level 18 now, and haven't even come close to being in danger, strafe a little bit, attack, strafe, attack, wait for the charge move (which every single mob i've been up against seems to do). Most mobs you can finish without losing any hps. I don't even vary my tactic.

3) Lots and lots of invivisble walls, i'm assuming this changes once I leave the Island.

4) Hardly any variation in what my armour/weapons look like so far. (changes post 20?)

5) Graphics. Everyone was raving how amazing they were.I checked my settings twice to make sure they were maxed out because I thought I was missing something. Did you all come from WoW?. Aion had much better graphics and better mob/weapon design. They're really pretty average for a korean grinder. Nice but, standard stuff

Good things.... 1) The combat is fun, I grant you that, it gives a weight to when you hit things. The hitbox is actually pretty big, so you don't have to be that precise, but it's satisfying enough that it just about balances up the horrible questing system.

Sadly that's it. The combat system is all it has going for it at this point in the game. Does that change later on? i'll tell you then. It certainly won't carry their game that far. People say that they enjoy grinding mobs because of the combat, but honestly it wasn't that complicated, and the mobs moves are telegraphed so well you pretty much have to be afk to not block/dodge them.

Wait, hold on a minute.

So after every TERA-bash comment you posted on mmorpg.com you now are actually playing the game?

lol This is not going to end well at all. I got news for you: you did not like the game before, and nothing past 10, 20, or 40 levels will make you like the game later on. 

1) Frontal arc? Are you playing Bezerker? Oh wait, you just single-handedly said the aiming is pretty much like every MMO. Good to know. Seems like TERA devs were all wrong, and so was every other person who reviewed the game.

2) Mobs are really slow, they get faster later on, but not fast enough for you. The small mobs will always be easy to kill, they pose no real challenge, and it does not get better later on.

3) Lots of invisible walls, yup. The entire game kind of "guides" you with mountain ranges and other obstacles to seperate portions of the map, the world is massive, but some maps feel more like a "tunnel path" than open world.

4) Hardly any variation? lol, same classes of different races look different. The armor graphics use the old tier upgrade mechanic. When you get to the next tier, your armor changes. Mostly when you replace the chestpiece. But no amount of variation will ever be good enoguh for you. Remember? You hate this game, yet playing it.

5) Graphics suck you say? Aion looks better? lol, yeah ok buddy. You are correct, and everyone else who has reviewed the game or complimented its gfx are wrong. I mean you must be right, you play GW2.

So let me get this straight, you absolutely hated the game before ever trying it, yet here you are playing it? Lol, this will definitely not end well. Can't wait for the "review"

Don't know about you guys, but when I dislike something, I don't play it. It's not rocket science. Nor will I support it with my money.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Can we please have some moderation in the TERA subforums!? Why must every topic get polluted with GW2 vs. TERA talk?

I agree. Some guy didn't like Tera so in defense the Tera fans must have drug GW2 into it. It doesn't ever make sense! image

More a reflex, if you check the forum during the CBT it was pretty much GW2 fans constantly attacking Tera. So kinda automaticaly assume people attacking Tera are GW2 fans.

Ok, about the starting of GW2 fans turning on Tera. I think it's page 5 of this topic that the hate starts. It's not GW2 fans turning a Tera discussion bad, it is the Tera fans. Dark_Skura and OldManFunk begin the GW2 hate. Up until then it was pretty civil.

The overall thought process of this forum is to turn on each other as soon as anything negative about someones game begins. It's always Tera vs GW2. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

I'm to get my copy by mail today. You guys are suppose to pump me up and get me excited about it! This is not helping! image
    To bad the combat style couldn't been added to Rift or even Vanguards enviroment. Oh well, I'm going to use my imagination and mobs will look different no matter what! 

Dont listen to what others say try it yourself :)
    I bought 2 days ago and im having a blast. I read every quest and im very interest in the storyline specially about Elleon a high elf brave npc. Every quest so far had a solid point why youre killing mobs.
    Reason someone starts a thread like this is guild wars 2 fans are the worst i ever seen by far.
    A beta is like a trial for mmorpg now days, Tera had solid and fluid beta and now release is doing great also on the other hand GW2 on my high end pc was chopy, laggy and felt very un natural gameplay.

Ok, about the starting of GW2 fans turning on Tera. I think it's page 5 of this topic that the hate starts. It's not GW2 fans turning a Tera discussion bad, it is the Tera fans. Dark_Skura and OldManFunk begin the GW2 hate. Up until then it was pretty civil.

The overall thought process of this forum is to turn on each other as soon as anything negative about someones game begins. It's always Tera vs GW2. 

Thats also true, i think same people were very dispointed about GW2 on the Beta and turn to Tera and develop a hate for GW2. I don't hate GW2 itself, i hate the fans who thinks its better than every thing else and just try to knock them down a peg =X but ya i do see what you mean lol GW2 keep getting brought up for no reason XD

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Teekay

So i've actually been playing Tera.

Issues i have.

1) The crosshair, when you're strafing a mob and you go for an attack it will attack according to the direction you're facing in, not where your crosshair is. So really you're aiming with your character. So you have to strafe, make sure your character is facing the mob and then go for it (at least for melee...) . So really it's a frontal arc target area, much like most other mmos. This confused me since i was assured that it was all based on where the crosshair was facing. You can set the animations to go off based off of the camera direction/crosshair; it is set to character direction by default as you lvl up or play other classes though you will notice that there are some abilities that only work off on the crosshairs dispite having character direction selected for abilities that require some precision i.e. Distant Blade

2)  The mobs are really slow to face you, i'm level 18 now, and haven't even come close to being in danger, strafe a little bit, attack, strafe, attack, wait for the charge move (which every single mob i've been up against seems to do). Most mobs you can finish without losing any hps. I don't even vary my tactic. Normal mobs are supposed to be easy to kill. 18+ you start seeing open world BAMs if you want a challenge try soloing one of these a slightly mistimed dodge or block can easily get you killed.

3) Lots and lots of invivisble walls, i'm assuming this changes once I leave the Island. Invisible walls are in places to prevent people from getting stuck somewhere they wouldn't be able to get out of on thier own.

4) Hardly any variation in what my armour/weapons look like so far. (changes post 20?) Level 50 now and I have found several different variations to armor and weapons; more so when you get into dungeons.

5) Graphics. Everyone was raving how amazing they were.I checked my settings twice to make sure they were maxed out because I thought I was missing something. Did you all come from WoW?. Aion had much better graphics and better mob/weapon design. They're really pretty average for a korean grinder. Nice but, standard stuff Comparing its graphics to WoW, Seriously? when did the females in WoW have thier own physics engine for thier breast alone i.e. High Elf and Amani females

Good things.... 1) The combat is fun, I grant you that, it gives a weight to when you hit things. The hitbox is actually pretty big, so you don't have to be that precise, but it's satisfying enough that it just about balances up the horrible questing system. Sure mobs have a decent sized hit box and at that level don't move very fast but if you play against any decent player you will quickly see that it is alot harder to hit a moving target.

Sadly that's it. The combat system is all it has going for it at this point in the game. Does that change later on? i'll tell you then. It certainly won't carry their game that far. People say that they enjoy grinding mobs because of the combat, but honestly it wasn't that complicated, and the mobs moves are telegraphed so well you pretty much have to be afk to not block/dodge them.

Internet problems caused a double post...

:-(

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

... So your saying that combat in others games where all the mobs are fought exactly the same no matter what the mobn actually is... is not repeating? 

/facepalm

Please, direct me to the MMo you play that ahs no repeating combat cause I'd like to play it, cause as far as I seen Tera blows all the other games away in the water compared to that involving the MMO genre. All they tend to be is same mob, different skin. Throw in randomly new skills they use that do very little to nothing to effect your button spamming and you win...

• GrosCulGrosCul Member Posts: 30

It's just the thing with heavy theme park mmorpg.  It's still a mmorpg. In Ultima online you would purchase a bunch of reagents and spam magic spell for hours to level up your resist. In DAOC you would camp Pygmies for hours and gain 1 bub each 2 hours after level 43.

I really hate heavy theme park. Because it's feel like you"re playing by yourself and most of the time it's so easy and unchallenging you can go through a zone on auto-pilots. Dying on Uo could mean losing all the stuff you had on you. Dying on DAOC could mean losing hours of experience and a long ride back to your group. No MAP OR arrow pointing you in the right direction. You had to figure stuff yourself ask question and explore the open world. Reaching max level or becoming a 7 X GM was an archievement. (Back when most ppl had 56 K on uo )

Now it's so easy  and unsocial . No one care about no one  because there's no repercussion. Before if you fucked  with somebody(in daoc or UO) entire alliance of ppl would learn about that guy behavior and just blacklist him. It's was worse because everyone knew everyone. Now You see the d00d running around and ninja'ing your stuff. Who care? They,'re so delusional about  others ppl being here. They're only caring about how much they need to reach max level. Before it's was fun leveling .. Because it's was an adventure by itself and a accomplishment. Now it's a nerd contest.

I wish ESO will fix stuff. I tried TERA for 6 day. Wasted 50 bucks perior.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

How many times did you fight a boar in WoW?

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

I'm giving this game a fair go so any comments I make will be from direct experience. I'm even on a pvp server so I can sample that asap.

1) I was just suprised by the crosshair mechanism. It just only seems to apply in a certain arc, but when you're strafing it doesn't. I'm playing a lancer fyi.

2) Good to hear the mobs get faster.

3) I'm pretty sad about the fact it guides you. I hated that in other games. (HI2U Rift and Warhammer). Guess I was spoilt with Daoc.

4) I just think armours should have alot of variation.

5) Graphics just arn't that special. Most ftp asian grinders are pretty similar art wise.

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2011/03/rift-authenticator-epl-329.jpg

-Rift screenie, just way better. I'm just suprised that you think the graphics are all that. Maybe i've just played more games.

Originally posted by RedKatana

I'm to get my copy by mail today. You guys are suppose to pump me up and get me excited about it! This is not helping! image

To bad the combat style couldn't been added to Rift or even Vanguards enviroment. Oh well, I'm going to use my imagination and mobs will look different no matter what! 

Dont listen to what others say try it yourself :) I bought 2 days ago and im having a blast. I read every quest and im very interest in the storyline specially about Elleon a high elf brave npc. Every quest so far had a solid point why youre killing mobs. Reason someone starts a thread like this is guild wars 2 fans are the worst i ever seen by far. A beta is like a trial for mmorpg now days, Tera had solid and fluid beta and now release is doing great also on the other hand GW2 on my high end pc was chopy, laggy and felt very un natural gameplay.

Well I am going into Tera with a positive attitude! I am excited to start. I enjoyed other grinding games like Aion so I think I will be fine with trees that look the same.

About GW2, I have kind of a mid-range computer and the first night of the beta it was laggy, but the rest of the weekend it ran superb. Perhaps the video card you use had less optimization then mine. Who knows, they will fix them all before release! I'm going to love that game too!

MMORPG fans should UNITE, not FIGHT!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Other than my x-wife? Hundreds! :)

Edit: Hogger was modeled after my x-wife

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Orc/Troll starting area has you killing some boars.

Goldshire has a questline about making a boar pie, so you kill some boars.

Princess is a boar.

Westfall has the goretusk liver soup quest, so you kill some boars.

There is a boar killing quest in blasted lands.

You kill some felboars in the first burning crusade zone.

I'm sure there are a few more. Although those are pretty spread out over your course of leveling. Blizzard is pretty good about making new areas feel new. You might be tired of quest hub style leveling, but you have to tip your hat to blizzard for doing it so well.

Thats also true, i think same people were very dispointed about GW2 on the Beta and turn to Tera and develop a hate for GW2. I don't hate GW2 itself, i hate the fans who thinks its better than every thing else and just try to knock them down a peg =X but ya i do see what you mean lol GW2 keep getting brought up for no reason XD

Maybe TSW will be so revolutionary and awe inspiring, it will unite us into one cohesive unit of happiness! lol

Hard core sandbox are great for some people but will never again be mainstream or even have enough people to start off a new game. Games now day require a lot of money to make and the tiny player date base that liked these type of games can't possible support it on a normal 15 dollar sub. You know why everyone knew everyone back than? Because the gaming community was MUCH smaller back than. Back than all gamer were gamer, people how love games and is and can and willing to spend all those time in. Now day? A majorty of the gamer will tell you those game mechanic are retard because it force you to play a lot and loss all your hard work instantly just to get to back is stuipd and that people have other things beside games in their live. It was nice back when the people playing these game are all gamers, now day everyone is playing games and they are a MUCH larger population than the core gamer group. So most company will keep the majory happy because thats were the money comes from.

• Dark_SkuraiDark_Skurai Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by Rusque

Princess is a boar.

I'm sure there are a few more. Although those are pretty spread out over your course of leveling. Blizzard is pretty good about making new areas feel new. You might be tired of quest hub style leveling, but you have to tip your hat to blizzard for doing it so well.

Better question would be how many times have you had to fight cats.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Originally posted by Tayah

Originally posted by Aramanu2

Great more people that didn't have any patience to make it past lvl20. FYI It gets alot better later on in the game.

I can never understand this comment.

If I'm suppose to get to a certain level to start having fun, why not make that level, level 1? Why do people think it's O.K. to be bored for a certain amount of levels/time until we can get to the "fun" part of the game? Games like Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, I had fun from the beginning, there was no waiting til you get a certain level to start having fun.

As opposed to GW2, which will be lots of fun at the beginning of the game, and boring as hell at the end of the game.  Amirite?

No, you aren't right.  No one has seen endgame so any talk about it currently is just pathetic.  Troll elsewhere, thanks.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Other than my x-wife? Hundreds! :)

Edit: Hogger was modeled after my x-wife

Remember Princess in Maraudon, used to joke with my guildies about her reminding me of my ex. Coincidentially like that instance my marriage was also a too long and unnecessarily painful and you were just glad when it was finally over.

All die, so die well.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by Dark_Skurai

Princess is a boar.

Better question would be how many times have you had to fight cats.

or Murlocs.

All die, so die well.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Princess is a boar.

My point is that every MMO reuses models, and I've found, despite the title, that the game reuses models less than all the others.

or moonkin?

or raptors?

or kodo?

or how about all the merlocs?

yep seems a lot of games reuse a lot of character models.

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

Same or bit different mob............ who cares when combat is so awesome :D

Would say more but i dont want to give trolls new ideas to troll more.......

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

anyone else really bored of spiders in these games?

Not really about TERA, but... well...

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Vesavius

anyone else really bored of spiders in these games?

Not really about TERA, but... well...

I don't like spiders IRL. Really, really, really don't like. D:

Bored? No. I'm not happy with them making the spiders in these games, bigger, hairier and movement resembling the real things down to a tee.

D: D: D: D: D: D: