Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let the crashes begin...

dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

Ok so I downloaded the client, installed it, patched it and expected to see a nice login window like GW2. Obviously, I didnt expect to login till the 11th which is fine.

I chose the DX11 client and got an error saying file is missing and it crashed my computer.. I read that DX11 client is not included which again is a little weird but nevertheless pretty self-explanatory

Finally, I chose "dx9 mode". It ran, gave me a debug window (to send error report to Funcom) saying i'm "out of memory" (even though I have top of the line pc with 12gb of ram and every other game works fine)

The customer service rep told me I would not be able to login till the 11th as the explanation and I told him it's absurd since it will crash all the same on the 11th!!! 

Do they even understand the difference between not being able to log in to the account and the whole thing crashing the computer, closing every program in the process?!

I was told to send dxdiag and had a support ticket open. 

So what do I do? I paid 250$ for this only to get this... there goes my gamble with Funcom...

Comments

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

This is funcom their reputation isn't exactly stellar. I'd wait till the 11th and see what happens.

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

First time I'm seeing exactly what Funcom reputation is... I've been warned so I can't say anything I guess... Still, Im already mightily disappointed.

The guy asked me what GPU and CPU I have and then asked me if im running win 7 32 or 64 bit which makes me think they might not support the 64-bit... I fully expect them to tell me to install a different windows version. 

GW2 never crashed on me.. and thats a beta too. So, there goes the beta argument out the window.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

for a beta i would have went with the dx9 client or whatever the other client was, it took funcom about a year to release the dx10 client for age of conan even though all their pre-release videos were showing off the beauty of their dx10 mmo.

Its funny I got a generic tech response from their automated system outlining the steps to take for Age of Conan :D

• AlbredAlbred Member UncommonPosts: 48

Your first mistake was paying $250 for a game you had absolutely no information about, other than it's developed by a company with a not so great track record, as stated above, and many comments to come.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Might be an idea to actually wait till event start before doing anything rash, but i see your point  i will go with DX9 as 11 is still not the defacto Direct-X to go with ,unlike you i'm in Beta weekend so if this goes tits up i'm screwed but at least you have some time in other Beta's.

GW2 had a wonky start as well especially EU so these things will happen as like me with GW2 we are paying to actually Beta test a non commercial product which seems to be the trend these days.

p>
  • eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Originally posted by dimasok

First time I'm seeing exactly what Funcom reputation is... I've been warned so I can't say anything I guess... Still, Im already mightily disappointed.

The guy asked me what GPU and CPU I have and then asked me if im running win 7 32 or 64 bit which makes me think they might not support the 64-bit... I fully expect them to tell me to install a different windows version. 

GW2 never crashed on me.. and thats a beta too. So, there goes the beta argument out the window.

I run 64 bit and all is fine on my end with what you were describing in your thread.

Even to think they wouldnt support 64 bit is absurd to say the least.  3/4 of the customer base wouldnt be able to play it then.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Before we throw funcom under the bus I think one thing needs to be clarified.  If they said OB isn't taking place until the 11th then I think its understandable that they are not taking tech support calls/emails or anything else until the 11th.  It makes sense to me - if they are not prepared to be flooded with tech support complaints yet then of course they are going to turn you back.

Look I'm no fan of Funcom at all, I've been burned by them in the past, but, it seems understandable that they would not be addressing any beta problems until the 11th.

Ok problem solved.

I was told to deactivate Crossfire and now it works fine... though why wouldnt it support the power of 2 cards running at once is beyond me...

I will have to activate/deactivate it whenever I play TSW now... *sigh*

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by crysent

Before we throw funcom under the bus I think one thing needs to be clarified.  If they said OB isn't taking place until the 11th then I think its understandable that they are not taking tech support calls/emails or anything else until the 11th.  It makes sense to me - if they are not prepared to be flooded with tech support complaints yet then of course they are going to turn you back.

Look I'm no fan of Funcom at all, I've been burned by them in the past, but, it seems understandable that they would not be addressing any beta problems until the 11th.

this..

and

beta..

and

could be own problem (since the folks i know have no issue's) having a top of the line pc usaly causes more stability problems then known old tech ;) 

and ...

again BETAAAA its no doubt going to have far more technical isseu's

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

these things are expected to happen in betas...

but its sad anyway

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

these things are expected to happen in betas...

but its sad anyway

But ITS NOT EVEN BETA YET.

The op installed the game early, which is great and I understand wanting to be prepared.  Beta doesn't even begin for another few days though.  So it's pre-beta and the OP is having some tech issues, of course the company isn't going to start opening tech support before the beta even begins.  This is why some beta don't release the client early...

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

you do realize it depends on how the developer has coded the client.  It could error out just as you described because it couldn't communicate to the server.. [mod edit]

In my opinion this is just silly...

Also they could put a patch out the day before that fixes it.  Maybet hey did it so no one can see the login screen and such, too many variable for you to make a post of this nature./...

[mod edit]

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy

you do realize it depends on how the developer has coded the client.  It can error out jsut as you describe without being able to talk to the server.. Thought I would educate you...

As I said, the problem was solved once I deactivated Crossfire.

Funny thing AOC never crashed on me even though I always had Crossfire enabled.

So yeah, anyone experiencing issues with the client DEACTIVATE CROSSFIRE and halve your performance... :(

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Ok problem solved.

I was told to deactivate Crossfire and now it works fine... though why wouldnt it support the power of 2 cards running at once is beyond me...

So the proble was yours and you came here to QQ and bash.

And this is why no one should ever read these forums for anything else other than humor.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

you do realize it depends on how the developer has coded the client.  It can error out jsut as you describe without being able to talk to the server.. Thought I would educate you...

So yeah, anyone experiencing issues with the client DEACTIVATE CROSSFIRE and halve your performance... :(

Sweet, crossfire sucks anyways, should had got SLi anyways.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Soandsoso

Ok problem solved.

And this is why no one should ever read these forums for anything else other than humor.

How is that MY problem when THEY don't support higher performance crossfire mode? You are talking out of your ass.

And I paid 250$ for it so why would I bash it?!

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Ok so I downloaded the client, installed it, patched it and expected to see a nice login window like GW2. Obviously, I didnt expect to login till the 11th which is fine.

I chose the DX11 client and got an error saying file is missing and it crashed my computer.. I read that DX11 client is not included which again is a little weird but nevertheless pretty self-explanatory

Finally, I chose "dx9 mode". It ran, gave me a debug window (to send error report to Funcom) saying i'm "out of memory" (even though I have top of the line pc with 12gb of ram and every other game works fine)

The customer service rep told me I would not be able to login till the 11th as the explanation and I told him it's absurd since it will crash all the same on the 11th!!! 

Do they even understand the difference between not being able to log in to the account and the whole thing crashing the computer, closing every program in the process?!

I was told to send dxdiag and had a support ticket open. 

So what do I do? I paid 250$ for this only to get this... there goes my gamble with Funcom...

Ok I dont often get errors ever when installing anything but when I do its usually helpfull to use safe mode and try reinstalling.

I just got done patching myn and besides a message saying my "graphics driver was out of date" only because I  use a laptop and lenovo dosnt update there drivers so often is why is said that but I didnt get any DX message asking for 11 or 9. 

It only took me 4 hours to download with my 6 megabyte down connection(it only downloads around 800kbs though) you might try moving the downloaded file to a harddisk and redownloading it maybee if you got fast connection, maybee something got corupted this time around, its happened to me numerous times downloading rar's from file hosting sites and when you try to install it everything dosnt work worth shit.  You could try that and if it asks for DX choose 9 this time...

Also if you dont game much, you might wana update your .netframework to 4.0 if you havent and also update DirectX if you havent, but since you said u played GW2 I would assume everything you got is ready and updated.

edit:I see its fixed now, but if anything else is having similar issues you can read this post if you like :)

I have 2 cards, how's that not SLI? Crossfire doesn't suck, its just that dev are too lazy to implement it. Now thanks to that lazyness I will be getting twice less performance than I would have otherwise.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Originally posted by Soandsoso

Ok problem solved.

How is that MY problem when THEY don't support higher performance crossfire mode? You are talking out of your ass.

And I paid 250$ for it so why would I bash it?!

It is beta optimization comes last. End.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

[mod edit]  you're a bit premature. The client will be patched before the beta starts I'm sure. Just download and log in a few times before May 11 to update. If it still fails when beta launches, then start complaining.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Ok so I downloaded the client, installed it, patched it and expected to see a nice login window like GW2. Obviously, I didnt expect to login till the 11th which is fine.I chose the DX11 client and got an error saying file is missing and it crashed my computer.. I read that DX11 client is not included which again is a little weird but nevertheless pretty self-explanatoryFinally, I chose "dx9 mode". It ran, gave me a debug window (to send error report to Funcom) saying i'm "out of memory" (even though I have top of the line pc with 12gb of ram and every other game works fine)The customer service rep told me I would not be able to login till the 11th as the explanation and I told him it's absurd since it will crash all the same on the 11th!!! Do they even understand the difference between not being able to log in to the account and the whole thing crashing the computer, closing every program in the process?!I was told to send dxdiag and had a support ticket open. So what do I do? I paid 250$ for this only to get this... there goes my gamble with Funcom...

you've been funcomed. its happened to the best of us. i recommend taking steps to make sure it never happens again.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• cagarcagar Member Posts: 98
    I am not a big follower of mbs, but don't most mbs only give a 50% boost in xfire? So in reality your not losing 50% of your performance, your losing 25%. Just saying.

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82

I have 2 cards, how's that not SLI? Crossfire doesn't suck, its just that dev are too lazy to implement it. Now thanks to that lazyness I will be getting twice less performance than I would have otherwise.

Calm down man, iirc I read in the official TSW forums about SLI/Crossfire and DX11 support and such things. Also, the official forums should be a better place for a question on problems with the beta weekend client. The client worked fine for me, no crashes, no problems, jsut the DX11 error message.

Oh, and you said GW2 didn't crash on you and there goes the beta argument out the window...

GW2 crashed on a lot of people and a lot of people had heavy performance issues. Wasn't there something about graphic card support disabled or something?