Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: It Just Keeps Getting Better

Comments

• BnblueBnblue Member Posts: 6

Beta weekend was awesome, a game I'll be playing for a considerable amount of time.

Didn't like it? sorry for your loss.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Nice article and I liked the cartoons, too :)

It is good to know, that the AI was as impressive as the rest of the game.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by kanezfan

"Things go from just angry looking, to you’re worst nightmare."

The caption under the first picture should say Things go from just angry looking, to YOUR worst nightmare.

Sorry, just drives me crazy O.o

You never know, they might have ment "Things go from just angry looking, to you are the worst nightmare ", indicating that it gets easier for you, and this is from the AI perspective.

Then again, you're probably right (Note the correct usage of "you're").

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

Indeed, anyone who took part in  the Fire Shaman fight on a large scale can tell you how tough it ould be. Part of it was the natural bottleneck it took place in, part of it was the extra spawns, but damn. That was gloriously hard, and at level 4!

GW2 has gotten scuh good reaction from both press and customers, calling it anything else is just desperate slander. Ignore it.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Originally posted by Betaguy

*yawn* Feels like Warhammer I played it, game is not that great. Nice writing though.

Doesn't look like WarHammer, doesn't play like WarHammer. It does have WvW but it's still not WarHammer. At least try to come up with something that's at least plausible. 

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

GW2 is amazing and it will get even better !!!! 

hope to see u all ingame cya !

• werewoodwerewood Member Posts: 76

Its a great game, and I wonder how many pre-purchase they have already. But the lack of communication is not that exciting, and knowing when the next beta weekend and release time frame would have been better. Meanwhile lots of new games out, and people will get commited elsewhere.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

I understand  that excitement from gw fans but cmon it is Warhammer clone!  Every aspect in this game is screaming--Warhammer!  I can bet that Mighty EA is behind that, they just want to push Warhammer idea in to mmorpg

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by palulalula

I understand  that excitement from gw fans but cmon it is Warhammer clone!  Every aspect in this game is screaming--Warhammer!  I can bet that Mighty EA is behind that, they just want to push Warhammer idea in to mmorpg

?? I lost you here....??

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

I would LOVE to hear the logic behind this........or lack of same.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Well then tell me... did Warhammer have this as their core form of PvE levelling?

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by Purgatus

Indeed, anyone who took part in  the Fire Shaman fight on a large scale can tell you how tough it ould be. Part of it was the natural bottleneck it took place in, part of it was the extra spawns, but damn. That was gloriously hard, and at level 4!

GW2 has gotten scuh good reaction from both press and customers, calling it anything else is just desperate slander. Ignore it.

For me, that was one of the first events that really showed what this game could do (and how intense the combat could be). The sense of community and desire to finally kill that jerk was palpable. 

We were going to use his cave as a short cut to where we were trying to go, we didn't know about the event, but it just further illustrated that even what in other MMOs would be a mundane auto-run turned into a massive and memorable event that completely distracted us from our original goal for a long time (it took an army of us multiple tries to finally take down him and his friends), and in the best way possible.

It was also the first beta I've been in for well over a decade in which ALL of the public chat related to GW2, rather than the normal constant comparisons between various games. It's very telling that not once did anyone even mention another game.  Recently in that Tera beta, there was more conversation about GW2 than Tera, so it was just nice to see everyone so engrossed in it.

The fact that GW2 nailed the social aspect is a huge bonus as well. The process of joining up with and assisting other players is so organic and well done that we had a few people each on our friends list even though it was only a weekend event.

All around brilliant game.

I have yet to hear one intelligent negative comment about it, and there's a good reason for that.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

I've heard people cry about GW2 because the trailers were "misleading" and they were expecting DMC combat

the crowds are really overhyping themselves on this one. hopefully the game doesn't disappear as fast as your typical WoW killer mmo

the one advantage GW2 has is that they're actually experimenting with the formula, where every previous big budget MMO (poorly) emulated the formula while forcefully shoving in gimmicks (combo systems, winged flight, good/evil quest choices)

"no wait everyone! our game really is different and unique!" 

the mmosheep herd fall for it everytime, then act surprised when they realize how mediocre the core game really is

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I love the game and the game PvE feels the most like EQ.

PvP if it a combo of DAoC and WAR.

Minor tweeks and it will be a great game.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

That fight was harder than some raids in WoW. At level freaking 4.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I would LOVE to hear the logic behind this........or lack of same.

Agree. I played WAR and I didn't feel like I was playing WAR at all during the GW2 beta. I understand that the DEs are essentially an evolution of WAR's PQs but that still doesn't make it a clone.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I had not participated in previous rounds of beta but it is interesting to see a perspective of how it has improved. My opinion is that GW2 has all of the right building blocks in place and all the potential to be a huge success over time.

Imagine a game whose success CAN'T be judged by its subscription count? I guess we will have to go back to using XFire...... ;)

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by Betaguy

*yawn* Feels like Warhammer I played it, game is not that great. Nice writing though.

troll. just because your name has beta in it doesn't mean you know what the fu** you're talking about. go back to farmville.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

It's so true. I logged in early in the weeee hours of the morning and was doing the Human area event where the bandits were trying to poison the water supply. It was just me and like 2 other people, and we were owning. Then suddenly a whole army of others showed up to help and the mobs wiped the floor with me. I couldn't just rush in and kill groups of things, I could barely solo one because now they came in swarms. I had to fight with the people around me, or lure enemies into groups then dodge until they broke aggro. 

It was fun, but still needs some tweaking. I like how it got challenging, but for a few events, that didn't seem to be the case. The Shadow boss in the swamp for instance, he didn't seem to change much when more people appeared, if anything his health just disappeared that much faster. I'd like for him to be a tad more epic when more people appear.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

as much as warhammer sucked, it did invent public events, had RvR type stuff, etc.  It's almost as if GW2 is what warhammer should have been.

• KickinPups2KickinPups2 Member Posts: 48

The start of this article is a laugh. Stating many people were complaining is just like saying fire in a theather. One person can blow up a whole room with lies and scare..Most of the "freakouts" were from people who bought copies and didn't set up accounts untill the last moment and QQ when they didn't properly read the email for the link or wondering where there codes are at before they left gametop or BB...My view on this is like the old saying" you can lead a horse to water but not make him drink it"I had minimal connection issues and the graphic errors weren't an issue at all since Im not running a laptop off car battery from 1999.......

Facebook was full of morons who made comments about taking 2-3 days downloading..This is just me but if it took me 3 days to download something I wouldn't try for the beta..I prob wouldn't play the game if my connection was so terrible..The comments of " I bought a G2 off Amazon and it was a U.S copy can I use it here in a middle of nowheres country where running water just became a part of life a week ago?" Um no... Yet my favorite ones was when people said..I went to Gamestop left without a code What the hell Anet?...Well (insert vulgar name) It isn't Anet you need to talk to but Gamestop..I purchased the CE for my fiancee and we made sure before left we had the code..

My experience in the beta was great. I hit max level for the beta engaged in tons of DyEv's and home world PvP and loved every minute of it..Yes the game needs to be tweaked. It's a "BETA" and let me say the most refined beta and honestly better then most games @ launch. I agree that the AI for some of the events needs to be tweaked along with some overflow issues but other then that my experience was amazing..When DAOC launched it was insane issues..When WoW launched my server was down the first 3 days more then up. Yet I only experienced a total of 1.5 hours of complete server downtime in the BWE and Anet also did a patch.....

As one person stated gamers are more focused on being negative and trying to compare it to other failed games while the games there defending are failing or have failed. I dislike Tera myself yet I say that's your cake and if you enjoy it eat..I find many many issues with the game but I don't go and blaze it..Grow up kids...G2 is what is it is..and if you can't see it for what it is..A great inovated game that could and can lead gamers into a new direction without charging out the butt each month for (patches and updates that should be free) and to show that a game like G2  can be polished better then anything we have seeing the likes of is a bright future for gamers who truly care and understand..Yet for all the negative one do those who plan on playing G2 stay away the game is truly a Social game based on it's collective ability to gather all to complete one great goal...If you can't handle that please stay away.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

Originally posted by 4bsolute

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

The last beta event presented an even better portrait of Guild Wars 2 than in the previous ones. Find out why we think so in our latest Guild Wars 2 column before leaving us your thoughts in the comments.

First off the main difference in the last Beta was that the number of players was increased, by a lot! I can’t give a number but I saw players everywhere, and it was awesome. Due to the high number of players running around, I got to really experience one of the game’s features in full force. We’ve all heard and read about Dynamic Events. Some of us have gotten the chance to actually see them in action. The dynamic events are designed so that as more players participate in the event, or leave the event, its difficulty changes accordingly. This means enemies have more health and more abilities to use. But I saw something I hadn’t seen previousl: the AI on enemies got better.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: It Just Keeps Getting Better.

Things go from just angry looking, to you’re worst nightmare.

In the last Beta it was presented BETTER than in the previous ones?

O

M

G

That would mean the previous ones were a desaster! Everywhere I look, other people who played GW2 mirror my experience: Over 50% are not pleased what they got served in the First Open-Beta WE.

Over 50%! Can you imagine who much that is? Inconceivable!

as far  iknow there wasnt any open beta yet  if you mean closed beta than i understand and weekend beta .

• brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181

Originally posted by BadSpock

Where the heck are you looking to find 50% of people who disliked the BWE?

Seriously man, the interwebs in general and every MMO site is just beaming with praise for this game.

You don't like it? Fine, to each their own, but please for the love of God can we stop with the lies and slander?

I'm sorry someone pissed in your cheerios, I really hope ya'll find a game you can get excited about too.

Let us have ours.

Here's a hint: Being excited and happy is a GOOD THING! I'm tired of all the negativity and disappointment.

Go watch some "Debby Downer" skits from SNL and then look in a mirror.

GW2 does just keep getting better, the more I go back and analyze what I really enjoyed and questioned in the game etc. post-BWE the more I want to play more and the more I realize how different things really are done in GW2 and especially how different it feels.

^^ This!  It is amazing how many people are negative on this forum because they do not like a particular game.  They feel the need to spread it...its like a crackhead who can't stand being miserable alone and has to try and hook others to be miserable with. 

I am usually pretty level headed about games, but this game is seriously fun and they have done ALOT of things right.  Sure, there are areas that need work, but that is what beta is all about. 

Shoo troll!

• telexxtelexx Member Posts: 26

I can't wait for the next beta weekend event! AAARGH! I've been so bored lately that I thought of actually play Tera again. The only reason I don't is that I have a feeling it will be either May 18-20 or June 1-3.

Come on Arenanet, I need my fix. (Tapping my arm..)  No other game can hold a candle to it, even in beta format.

It's too bad that they can't give public access to the test server while they work on it. Hmm, that brings up a good question, why not? There is nothing left to hide. We already paid for the service, so it's not like we need NDAs. We all know what a "test server" means, right? Aren't we mature enough to handle that and help them out, while having a load of fun?

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by telexx

It's too bad that they can't give public access to the test server while they work on it. Hmm, that brings up a good question, why not? There is nothing left to hide. We already paid for the service, so it's not like we need NDAs. We all know what a "test server" means, right? Aren't we mature enough to handle that and help them out, while having a load of fun?

Because it cost money (server maintance, forum moderation, etc). You have not payed for that you payed for a release product. Second is that they get more then enough feedback from one weekend to keep them occupied for a while, pushing out some new release and test again in a weekend.