Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG!! £49.99 for Digital Edition... [POLL]

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
  • jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by Caldrin

Originally posted by kevjards

being from the UK myself,i understand what your saying,but here is the thing,take 20% VAT off that and you are left with £40 i believe.its not the gaming companies fault,its the governments greed.cost me £40 for TSW so to me its about right and please remember gw2 has no sub fee attached.

Should have shopped around for TSW I pre-ordered it from Amazon for £30... Got the beta code within 5 mins as well..

That's the whole point.

You can get it ANYWHERE other than ArenaNet for the same price as every other game.

Note that when somebody points this out, the trolls ignore those posts and carry on whining about the price on the official site.

You CAN get it for the same price as other games with no problems at all. Why insist this isn't true?

• FyronovaFyronova Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by F5Minutes

Originally posted by Fyronova

I don't think it's overpriced, most games nowadays and even in the past are in the same price range. At least it's free monthly.

If you can't scrounge that money, there's always prostitution.

Guild Wars.. lets call it.. 1, NEVER cost £49.99 for the digital version.

Also.. what did you gain from the prostitution comment?

This was a mature thread until you typed into it.

Relax buddy, I can be mature like you but I guess you didn't get the joke.

You should lighten up, maybe you might get a laugh out of it.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Now the GAME UK price for GW2 is more like it..

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2?msg=&showResultsPage=true&predictiveSearchURL=http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/AjaxPredictiveSearchView?catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151&langId=44&beginIndex=0&productId=71919&sType=SimpleSearch&pageSize=20&resultCatEntryType=2&searchTerm=guild+wars+2&pageView=image&catalogId=10201&storeId=10151&searchBtn.x=0&searchBtn.y=0&ddkey=http:AjaxPredictiveSearchView

but im sure thats only a recent thing as just before the open beta weekend i checked around and could only find it about £5 cheaper on the retail sites.. maybe that was their plan.. get everyone to pre-order for the beta weekend then drop the price in the stores hehe..

That's not true either. Look at the forums on this very site around the time of the beta. There are other threads talking about the exact same thing, comparing the prices from different outlets. Same prices as you'll find today.

Originally posted by jacklo

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2?msg=&showResultsPage=true&predictiveSearchURL=http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/AjaxPredictiveSearchView?catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151&langId=44&beginIndex=0&productId=71919&sType=SimpleSearch&pageSize=20&resultCatEntryType=2&searchTerm=guild+wars+2&pageView=image&catalogId=10201&storeId=10151&searchBtn.x=0&searchBtn.y=0&ddkey=http:AjaxPredictiveSearchView

but im sure thats only a recent thing as just before the open beta weekend i checked around and could only find it about £5 cheaper on the retail sites.. maybe that was their plan.. get everyone to pre-order for the beta weekend then drop the price in the stores hehe..

That's not true either. Look at the forums on this very site around the time of the beta. There are other threads talking about the exact same thing, comparing the prices from different outlets. Same prices as you'll find today.

Guess i must have found expensive ones on the sites then LOL.. fair enough..

Either way they should not be trying to charage that much for a digital version of the game..

• F5MinutesF5Minutes Member Posts: 59

lol what have I created here :D

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by jacklo

Guess i must have found expensive ones on the sites then LOL.. fair enough..

Either way they should not be trying to charage that much for a digital version of the game..

AFAIK, this is some sort of deal struck with retailers. Digital Editions are always more expensive so that people would actually go to the retailers or something. I wanted to purchase the EU version of SC2 more than a year after it came out and guess what? It was still 60 Euro on Blizzards website.

• FyronovaFyronova Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Adalwulff

You should be more pissed off at the energy companies, they make billions of dollars each year in profits.

Businesses are in it for the money, and 50 bucks is standard, cant aford it, get a cheaper hobby. There was a time I couldnt afford a computer and pay for internet, on top of a sub, so I did other things.

Its a no brainer.

Really now? Did you also prostitute like I did? AWESOME! <3

PS: It's a joke, don't get all trolly at me now.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

A flame-debate war between the people who know sh*t and the people who don't know sh*t

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.

Originally posted by Fusion

A flame-debate war between the people who know sh*t and the people who don't know sh*t

Fact is, we're all just bored. And after playing the BWE there haven't been any controversial threads to keep our(my) interest, because I could laugh off all the poor constructed argumets after getting 30+ hours of gameplay. We need our drama, man. :D

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Yes, I do think it is overly-expensive, but after playing the game, I decided to buy it.

Originally posted by megera23

Fact is, we're all just bored. And after playing the BWE there haven't been any controversial threads to keep our(my) interest, because I could laugh off all the poor constructed argumets after getting 30+ hours of gameplay. We need our drama, man. :D

haha you managed to play that pile of turd for 30+ hours.. :)

Only messing its not a bad game just really not for me.. sure it has a few different twists on your standard MMO but at the end thats all it is.. all this super hype reallt put me off..  I will pick it up in a few months im sure I jsut want to see how the cash shop thing will work out..

Only messing its not a bad game just really not for me.. sure it has a few different twists on your standard MMO but at the end thats all it is.. all this super hype reallt put me off..  I will pick it up in a few months im sure I jsut want to see how the cash shop thing will work out..

*shrugs* No game is for everyone. Just make sure you get to try it out before you purchase it. We wouldn't want you wasting your money. ;)

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

How is see the cash shop (currently) is that you're atleast compelled to purchase the bank upgrades and atleast bag slots for 1 character, other than that i see no reason to use it (this is my personal opinion) and if that's 10-20€ outta my pocket, for the rest of my time in GW2, i don't mind.

But it's a "work in progress" and there is nothing to stop them for making more incentives in order to gain more cash-shop purchases?

(they're saying this and that NOW, but come launch, it's all up to them what they add there, since it doesn't matter, because they have no subscription, thuswise it doesn't MATTER if people quit playing, because they already got the initial purchase price they wanted, this is the GOOD thing about Buy to play & no sub fee business-wise, they can do whatever the fudge they want with the cash shop.) - and come expansion, they can again market with "everything obtained ingame in the expansion is better than the cash shop items previously purchased" - Thus once again getting most of the people that "left" back with a 'lie'

And to prematurely stop the flamewar for this reply, this post is purely speculative, but this'd also be a purely profitable solution for a company (and let's face it, every company in the world is in it purely for the profit)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • BnblueBnblue Member Posts: 6

Expensive for a product you'll get months if not years of enjoyment out of?

Nah.....

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Its expensive. But hey...they are not charging subscription !

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by korent1991

This has nothing to do about "the game has no fee" and it's not a matter of standard mmo price... It's just the matter of pure math... If they can sell it in US for some amount why can't they sell it to others in the rest of the world for that exact same amount since it's a digital version?

59.99$ isn't the same as 49.99 GBP (which is around 80 USD [$])... The prices at retailer in europe for pre-orders are not that high (they're around 37.99 GBP) so there isn't even a reason for them charging that high on their official site when even the physical editions are cheaper!

I'll try to keep simple.

First, the difference between EU and USD prices is tax which EU forces on -all imported goods- which sadly does include digital versions as well, Why? I do not know, ask Your representatives to EU parliment for that. 

Second thing. The price You see, let's call it Total Price (60$/55euro/50GBP), is sum of several minor expenses piling up, which include distribution, markup, taxes and of course the actual game price at wholesale (that's usually between 50 and 60% of Total Price and that's how much the retailer pays for the game).

Now the Total Price being the calculation of all side expenses is the price at which the game will be sold by default, however, since retailers are as they are, they will force the difference on digital distribution not allowing publishers/developers to sell digital products cheaper than said Total Price but them, themselves are free to lower their own markup in retail as they please.  

It's not really a fair system and it moslty harms the customers, but hey, retail still makes over 50% of market and the large retailers have enough power to enforce it. 

There is also a lot of background deals going and negotation between publishers and retailers as to specifics of pricing, each is separate on individual case, so that the price differs in various countries in Europe. This, however doesn't change the fact ANet simply cannot lower digital package price even if they wanted, unless they want to also risk retailers not stocking the game. 

It happns all the time with Steamworks games. In some cases for eg. You can't buy certain games on Steam despite those games being distributed officially in Your country and require Steam to work. That's how the shady world of game sales works and until digital distribution makes ~80% of market it won't change really. 

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Thoughts on the matter??

Remember that next time you go to vote for your politicians. Those thieving bastards are directly responsible for such price differences due to their need to boost their own pockets with your tax money.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• F5MinutesF5Minutes Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by gladosrev2

Thoughts on the matter??

Remember that next time you go to vote for your politicians. Those thieving bastards are directly responsible for such price differences due to their need to boost their own pockets with your tax money.

Thats 100% true, but remember.

Politicians... Never do what it says on the tin.

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90

/facepalm

Im tired of europeans posting OMG THE PRICE OF THIS GAME IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

the base cost of the game is 50 dollars

retailer/publisher don't price their game equaly in the entire world,if the game is costing 50 euros its because the publisher is greed and don't priced the game acording the Euro/Dollar rate or taxes inflated the price

• Originally posted by F5Minutes

Does anyone else think that £49.99(UK) is.. well.. just a tad over priced?

I knoooooooow Guild wars is not just 'another' mmorpg,

But £49.99 just for the online Digital version is outrageous!

Thoughts on the matter??

Before posting, remember.. not everyone has a wallet full of cash, or parents to buy games for them.

136 votes...interesting. did you make more accounts to vote? interesting that other polls all turn out positively from almost EVERYONE. including that the price is normal. what are you onto here? 

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by gladosrev2

Thoughts on the matter??

There is no tax on digital software in some of the european countries and the prices are still the same... And even if  a country has such tax, a company in US can NOT collect taxes in the name of the buyers country. What would they do with it? Forward it to the buyers country? Doesn't work that way :D Not to mention the tax rates are never the same in countries, so that would also mean everyone should have a price accordingly to their tax rate... It really shows to the one and only thing, greed.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Already bought the game so... yeah.

This is not a game.

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

Yes and prob the main reason im not buying it.. that is just a stupid price to sell a game for..

Will wait until its cheaper in a sale or somithng..

Same here, after the recent spate of poor MMOs that have come out I am gonna wait a few months for price to come down.

Some of us have more important things to allocate cash for then pre-ordering games just for some shiny pixels.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

I'll just wait a month for play and amazon to have a price war and get it for £30... :|

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')