Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logitech G13 or Razer Nostromo/Belkin N52te + analog stick movement

p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

hi. im very interested in buy this gadget, but i need to know if is viable to move with the analog stick of G13. having 4 fingers free to hit skills and always be moving seem  tempting for me.

anyone play beta with Logitech G13?

thanks

Comments

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

hi. im very interested in buy this gadget, but i need to know if is viable to move with the analog stick of G13. having 4 fingers free to hit skills and always be moving seem  tempting for me.

thanks

I have the G13 .... its never occured to me to use the analog stick for movement, as obvious as that may seem. Personally .... theres no way I'd use the analog stick for PvP  over WASD ... sticks just don't give the nessecary precision.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by Redemp

thanks

I have the G13 .... its never occured to me to use the analog stick for movement, as obvious as that may seem. Personally .... theres no way I'd use the analog stick for PvP  over WASD ... sticks just don't give the nessecary precision.

if they work as a PS3/Xbox360 stick, i prefer much more that way than WASD. i eman if can work not 4 way but 8 way (diagonals)

• JesseBFoxJesseBFox Member Posts: 134

I use the G13 and especially I use it in pvp for that split second more speed. I also use the joystick for movement.

I do not believe it is an analog stick, it is digital. Which means it is essentially the same thing as using the wasd keys. or in my case wqed. (I like the left and right to be strafe not turn, i use my mouse to turn)

I highly recommend the g13. It takes a little getting used to but will speed up things tremendously as far as thought process to button hitting. You may find that the 25 keys are not enough however, as I did, and so I picked up a razer naga hex mouse. It is decent but seems a little small for my hand. I may switch to a logitech G700 mouse and give the hex to my wife who loves the looks of it. 

Last BWE I used the g13 and a regular mouse and found it to work great. I expect it to be better now that I have the hex (and am getting used to the buttons quickly).

So I say go for it. If you have any questions regarding it before ordering it, post questions or you can PM me.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Redemp

thanks

I think it just matters what you are more used to personally. I could see myself having better movement with a controller but not as good camera control. Playing DCUO with a stick was more enjoyable than playing it with a keyboard. Not the same game but an example where a controller was just fine. Not sure how it would play out in PvP, but as I stated, I feel I move better with a controller so maybe the stick would feel right. ,although it looks awkward..

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

The stick does not work like a ps3 stick. Think the d-pad on your ps3 controller. only with a nob on it. There is also a button if you push down on the joystick (think: R3 button on ps3) which I find nearly impossible to use and I make sure to leave that unassigned.

With a little getting used to it, I love using the stick and therefore gaining 4 more buttons at my fingertips

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Few months ago I considered G13 or Nostromo and finally settled for the third option - xbox360 controller.

It works like a charm in MMOs, once you get used to it. 30 keybinds FTW.

Originally posted by DeniZg

Few months ago I considered G13 or Nostromo and finally settled for the third option - xbox360 controller.

It works like a charm in MMOs, once you get used to it. 30 keybinds FTW.

didnt understand. are you saying a xbox360 controller is good to play GW2?

i willl buy the Logitech G13 (i will buy used and will replace the stick with one fo xbox360). my mouse and keyboard are also logitech and the support of company seem good.

the mouse is a mx518, have 6 buttons extra (if count the scroll button) that and G13 i think i much than good to keybind everything. in G13 i think i will not even use half the keys. xD

thanks for the feedback guys

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

didnt understand. are you saying a xbox360 controller is good to play GW2?

I play SWTOR on xbox controller and SWTOR has much more spells. GW2 has much lighter toolbars so it is even easier for a beginner.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

the stick on the g13 gets very uncomfortable when  using it for movement for long periods of time.. i used to use it for movement in rift but ended up stopping because of pain in my hand. I found the stick is best used to setup 4 skills instead which works very well for me in conjuction with my g700 mouse I never really need to use anything else besides my mouse buttons and the stick for all my skills

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I use the joystick on the G13 for movement and once you get used to it, it's incredible.

I played 38 hours of GW2 during BWE1 and didn't have any cramping or pain issues, but everyone is different. You can always bind a key for auto run and use your mouse to steer outside of combat, but the  joystick provides incredible maneuverability in combat.

You just bind the WASD keys to the four positions on the joystick. Moving the stick to a diagonal position gives you the effect of holding the two keys in that quadrant down at the same time. Full WASD control with your thumb, leaving all your fingers free for hot key use.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

I use the joystick on the G13 for movement and once you get used to it, it's incredible.

I played 38 hours of GW2 during BWE1 and didn't have any cramping or pain issues, but everyone is different. You can always bind a key for auto run and use your mouse to steer outside of combat, but the  joystick provides incredible maneuverability in combat.

You just bind the WASD keys to the four positions on the joystick. Moving the stick to a diagonal position gives you the effect of holding the two keys in that quadrant down at the same time. Full WASD control with your thumb, leaving all your fingers free for hot key use.

do you have the original stick or have replace for a xbox360 stick? the original seem not much confortable.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

G13 user for 5 years here (well it was Belkin nt52 before, but G13 is better imo because of more buttons).

The thumb stick is perfect when you get used to it, as it combines 4 keys (generally 3 fingers) into 1 (1 finger). This way you have all your other fingers free to go wherever you want, when you want, without being obstructed or constrained by WASD. Its a plain gain.

edit : well, what Fiontar said.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

Originally posted by k-damage

G13 user for 5 years here (well it was Belkin nt52 before, but G13 is better imo because of more buttons).

The thumb stick is perfect when you get used to it, as it combines 4 keys (generally 3 fingers) into 1 (1 finger). This way you have all your other fingers free to go wherever you want, when you want, without being obstructed or constrained by WASD. Its a plain gain.

edit : well, what Fiontar said.

that is the reason why i wil buy G13 xD.

i was  concern about the stick but not anymore, after feedback . if i find not confortable i just replace for a xbox360 that i know is confortable.

Yeah all the GW2 I played the last BWE and no cramping at all. Mileage may vary since everyone's hand size is different. Let us know how it goes for you.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

i didnt think about play GW2 with a controler... now i will have to test it in the next beta ty for the tip

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I use the G13 also works great but I don't use the stick for movement. Here is a profile for GW1 and GW2 if you decide to buy one. Of course you will probably need to modify it for your use! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

why use a G13 instead of a keyboard ?

i have a G110 and i fail to see why would anyone want a G13, i can see the use for a mouse with more buttons though.

You can have software help with your keyboard, if not the standard software you can download some macro maker for keyboards, works just the same. 

Buying a new hardware just for a thumbstick ? 

Thats all real, i'm not trolling or anything, I ask you, Why use it  and why its better than your overall keyboard ?

Originally posted by Elandir90

i have a G110 and i fail to see why would anyone want a G13, i can see the use for a mouse with more buttons though.

You can have software help with your keyboard, if not the standard software you can download some macro maker for keyboards, works just the same. 

Thats all real, i'm not trolling or anything, I ask you, Why use it  and why its better than your overall keyboard ?

for me i dont use the thumbstick for movement but just the placement of my palm and how my fingers rest on the keys is a million times more comfortable than a regular keyboard for long gaming sesions. Being able to setup profiles for differen't games is just a bonus for me. Thumbstick works great for activiating skills though:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

for me i dont use the thumbstick for movement but just the placement of my palm and how my fingers rest on the keys is a million times more comfortable than a regular keyboard for long gaming sesions. Being able to setup profiles for differen't games is just a bonus for me. Thumbstick works great for activiating skills though:)

So it comes down to comfort and the thumbstick. The profiles and other software based features you can have with any other keyboard pretty much. 

Comfort wise you can always have a good wrist rest, i guess it does the same. 

The only real "advantage" i can see is the thumbstick.

So it comes down to comfort and the thumbstick. The profiles and other software based features you can have with any other keyboard pretty much. 

pretty much.. i wouldn't say its a "must-have" but i enjoy mine:)

it seems a good piece of hardware for sure and logitech always does great stuff.

But i thought there were more to it... some "advantage" for the player as a mouse with loads of buttons does. 

it seems a good piece of hardware for sure and logitech always does great stuff.

But i thought there were more to it... some "advantage" for the player as a mouse with loads of buttons does. 

When I got my G13 I was trying to decide between that and a very good anti-ghosting keyboard. I also am a programmer and want an ergonomic keyboard. There really are no ergonomic gaming keyboards. Also for gaming I wouldn't be using the whole keyboard most of the time, just where my left hand is since my right hand will be on the mouse, and for comfort I didn't want my left hand straight on to my desk. So if I went keyboard, I would have to turn the whole keyboard to the side, where it would be half hanging off my desk.

So I pondered the stealth series keyboard that has the extra gaming keypad to the side that is angled for comfort. Then I realized that the G13 would allow me to place it anywhere for comfort, I could still have my ergo keyboard for when I am heavy coding, and I could have the thumbstick for movement. The best of all worlds for my personal use. I just was worried about comfort and if the thumbstick was practical for movement.

So anyway, that is why I went G13 instead of a full keyboard. for gaming.

The mouse and comfort are awesome but where it really shines is the two buttons next to the joystick. Those can be used more readily than the shift/ctr/alt on a keyboard. Having the that quick access means the keys that you rest your hands on are now 2-3 times more flexible. ie the 3 key is now an alt 3 or ctrl 3 depending on how you want to use it.

Keybinds can be setup with the software that it comes with for individual games. I don't have to change my EQ3 layout, the software will recognize I'm playing Rift now and change it automitically. These saves or profiles can be shared with others on the internet and it makes it really nice.

The joystick can be used for key functions as well, you don't have to use it to move. I have it setup for example; moving it West is M for map, East for Journal, North for bags...etc.

On top of all that you can setup macros. ie. GW2 douple tap for dodge can be made into a macro with one push and you dodge.

The hardware is very flexible and the keys can be setup anyway you want using the software! You don't have to mess with the ingame keymapping just set the keys in the software to match the game.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

The mouse and comfort are awesome but where it really shines is the two buttons next to the joystick. Those can be used more readily than the shift/ctr/alt on a keyboard. Having the that quick access means the keys that you rest your hands on are now 2-3 times more flexible. ie the 3 key is now an alt 3 or ctrl 3 depending on how you want to use it.

Keybinds can be setup with the software that it comes with for individual games. I don't have to change my EQ3 layout, the software will recognize I'm playing Rift now and change it automitically. These saves or profiles can be shared with others on the internet and it makes it really nice.

The joystick can be used for key functions as well, you don't have to use it to move. I have it setup for example; moving it West is M for map, East for Journal, North for bags...etc.

On top of all that you can setup macros. ie. GW2 douple tap for dodge can be made into a macro with one push and you dodge.

The hardware is very flexible and the keys can be setup anyway you want using the software! You don't have to mess with the ingame keymapping just set the keys in the software to match the game.

Just a quick note that is almost off topic:

It works better if you assign dodge to a keypress, then map that to your g13. otherwise you would either a) always dodge one specific direction or b) have to macro 4 double taps. Mapping a key rocks, it will dodge you whatever direction you are moving (and backwards if you are not moving)

Originally posted by JesseBFox

Originally posted by Amjoco

Just a quick note that is almost off topic:

It works better if you assign dodge to a keypress, then map that to your g13. otherwise you would either a) always dodge one specific direction or b) have to macro 4 double taps. Mapping a key rocks, it will dodge you whatever direction you are moving (and backwards if you are not moving)

Thanx! That is a good idea. I was kinda shooting from the hip I guess with my macro suggestion! :O