Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG!! £49.99 for Digital Edition... [POLL]

Comments

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Like I already pointed out play.com sells guild wars for £39.99 so £10.00 less than what OP found.

Europeans get vat on stuff they buy which results in higher costs sadly.

That's still close to 50€, and im a european, Finnish to be exact, and i got mine for 43€ which is 34.6 £

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by iamrta

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

Originally posted by iamrta

ahh first world problems...

in other news my smart phone battery died.

Money is a first world problem only?

yeah, the hungry are worried about the price of video games...sorry.

you gotta pay if ya wanna play. prices are/have been/will be going up and will continue to do so.

like stated above, why buy full price when they drop almost instantly these days?

It's a discution about money, that happens to be related to a video game. The point of the discution is about money.

• Sp1dersbaneSp1dersbane Member Posts: 49

I paid £40 for ToR. I then paid £9 for a second months subscription, £49.00.

I paid £44.99 for DA2, played through it within 24 hours.

I see GW2 at £50 and realise that I could play that for as long as I like, keep going back for any content patches, put it down for a year and still go back to it and It'll never cost me more than £50. Having played WoW for 7 years I find this thought rather refreshing.

£49.99 sounds like a bargain to me.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Shop around.

You can pick it up for £34.99 at Game.co.uk

It's not out of the ballpark considering the price of other new games.

• The Secret World: £39.99

• Diablo 3: £32.99

• Black Ops 2: £39.99

• Assasins Creed 3: £34.99

• Max Payne 3: £34.99

• Prototype 2: £32.99

• Borderlands 2: £34.99

Seems a pretty fair price to me when you compare.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Adalwulff

You should be more pissed off at the energy companies, they make billions of dollars each year in profits.

Businesses are in it for the money, and 50 bucks is standard, cant aford it, get a cheaper hobby. There was a time I couldnt afford a computer and pay for internet, on top of a sub, so I did other things.

Its a no brainer.

50 pounds is not 50 bucks, just saying.

True..lol..

But the point was, its standard. Im sure prices for games are pretty much the same every year, in whatever country your in. I am also sure there are lots of valid reasons your paying more, shipping, taxes...ect..ect..

Also, if you cant afford something, what good comes from bitching about it?

Just sayin

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Didnt vote because you forgot to add another option:

"I have payed more than that for other big mmo launches and i still keep that trash with me"

So yeah im never buying another box set, because it pains me to look at all the game boxes i have bought of "the next wow killer", also all wow expansions (gonna set those on fire someday) and some more i dare not to name...

If im buying the digital edition of something ANet launches? Already did.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Caldrin

Also I have beta tested this in clsoed beta and i know its not worth £50 or even £40 but thats my opinion...

Still i think no matter how good the game is ts never gonna be worth £50($80)

Well, to me it was worth the $150 I spent on the CE, so not everyone will agree with you on that. Now, if there's a large disparity between the cost of GW2 and other comparable games, then that's an issue worth bringing up to ANet.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

You should be more pissed off at the energy companies, they make billions of dollars each year in profits.

Businesses are in it for the money, and 50 bucks is standard, cant aford it, get a cheaper hobby. There was a time I couldnt afford a computer and pay for internet, on top of a sub, so I did other things.

Its a no brainer.

50 pounds is not 50 bucks, just saying.

True..lol..

But the point was, its standard. Im sure prices for games are pretty much the same every year, in whatever country your in. I am also sure there are lots of valid reasons your paying more, shipping, taxes...ect..ect..

Just sayin

Probably won't do much good, but I think the reason he was upset about this was exactly because it's not the same price as other games in his country.

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

I dont understand, is it just UK or other conturies as well?

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

True..lol..

Just sayin

Probably won't do much good, but I think the reason he was upset about this was exactly because it's not the same price as other games in his country.

But it is the same price... just not through ArenaNet themselves.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4973413#4973413

Probably an incentive for other outlets to sell the game, who knows.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

I can't believe people are defending this.  This price is rediculous.   The fact that there is no sub fee is no justification.

In my 21 years, I have never ever seen a game cost £50 ($80), especially on PC where they're usually cheaper.  If I go on Steam, new PC games cost £20-30 ($32-48).  I admit that technically we have been getting games cheaper over the years, (prices haven't really changed for 15 years, despite inflation) but what is so special about GW2 that the price has to be so high? 

I'm really on the fence about GW2, if it was £20 cheaper then I would snap it up, I think there is a signifcant amount of people, who aren't  hyped up fans, that feel the same.  

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

why is a box and disk so much more valuable to you? all i want is the game not more rubbish to clutter up my house.

Originally posted by QuicklyScott

I can't believe people are defending this.  This price is rediculous.   The fact that there is no sub fee is no justification.

In my 21 years, I have never ever seen a game cost £50 ($80), especially on PC where they're usually cheaper.  If I go on Steam, new PC games cost £20-30 ($32-48).  I admit that technically we have been getting games cheaper over the years, (prices haven't really changed for 15 years, despite inflation) but what is so special about GW2 that the price has to be so high? 

I'm really on the fence about GW2, if it was £20 cheaper then I would snap it up, I think there is a signifcant amount of people, who aren't  hyped up fans, that feel the same.  

why should pc games be cheaper, console games usually last only 8 hours and are much more expensive.

why should assassins creed cost more than guild wars 2?

diablo 3 is 60 euro the same price as guild wars 2. why should diablo 3 have the right to be more expensive?

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Like if you would read up on the thread, you'd notice that there are PLENTY of places where you can get it alot cheaper than 50£... mine cost me 34£ (converted from euros)

But if you're expecting to get a brand new game (that's not even out yet) for 30£ you're out of your mind or just plain ass cheap mother******

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by Istavaan

why should pc games be cheaper, console games usually last only 8 hours and are much more expensive.

Because console games also have tax put in my console manufacturers (Sony/MS, called royalties, it's around 8-10$ iirc) while PC's don't because there is no monopoly when it comes to getting a PC. 

As for GW2 pricing - standard MMO price really as of late, add to that the game has no subscrpition fee and that it's early adoption price, it will be cheaper few months after release. 

The digital vs retail thing been done countless times. Publishers/developers aren't allowed to sell digital products cheaper due to retail grip on pricing model. They say "we won't stock your game if you try sell it cheaper than we", it's simple as that. Blame the B&M shops.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

It's yesterdays news...

Yes, the currency conversions are not fair towards us in Europe considering the price US citizens are paying for...

I don't know why are they charging so much on their website with those over priced and not really logical conversion to € or GBP (which both have a higher currency value than USD).. It really doesn't make any sence they're charging us WAY more for DIGITAL EDITION (so there's no shipping cost, there's no additional fees and nothing that can be taxed since not every country in europe has tax rates on digital software or software of any kind for that matter).

Even tho you can get it a lot cheaper from retailers, it still makes me wonder why the hell would they charge so much more for an edition which doesn't require any shipment or boxes. Don't know why it's so pricy on official website.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by kevjards

being from the UK myself,i understand what your saying,but here is the thing,take 20% VAT off that and you are left with £40 i believe.its not the gaming companies fault,its the governments greed.cost me £40 for TSW so to me its about right and please remember gw2 has no sub fee attached.

Should have shopped around for TSW I pre-ordered it from Amazon for £30... Got the beta code within 5 mins as well..

• Veeshan22Veeshan22 Member Posts: 9

cheaper than games in australia there $99 for any new releases.

• ShankenstienShankenstien Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Thane

seriously, damn those developers!

didnt they give the hippotratic oath or sth?

they are supposed to easen our burden not to enlarge it by taking out money! just take those devs and put them in some basement without sunlight and als till they finished their job!

but first you need to buy a basement large enough.... hmmm... anyway, thats not the point!

make them release their games for free!

if their game is good enough the main dev earns the right to go outside to check the sun for an hour a day!

if they manage to release an mmo that's not F2P after a year, give some of the other guys a temp right to look out of the window (no going outside tho! they are supposed to code new games!)

ps, on a serious sidenote: that's what happens when you dont join the EU; your stuff gets more expensive because extra rules have to be applied to ship the games all the way to your isle outside of europe! should have joined us. bad luck :> we told you resistance is futile!

If theres one thing worse than a smug ignorant moron it's a xenaphobic smug ignorant moron who thinks he's awesome!. Kudos, kudos on your smug moronic xenaphobia. FYI, your welcome for THE BRITISH saving your ass's in Europe over and over and over!!!. Next time(like RIGHT NOW) we're gonna leave you arrogant oussies to get crushed!.

WoW, LoTRO, AoC, DCU, EvE, RoM, Champions, Bloodline Champions, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Fallen Earth, SWTOR, EQ2, Guild Wars

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

21 years. That makes me sad. I have a game controller older than thar! ;)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

games for 60 euros are normal in holland, the fact it only costet 55 is a good thing...only problem is the exchange rate at arenanet was rlllly weird

still would buy it anyway

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • crojosipcrojosip Member UncommonPosts: 9

Most new games cost 60 euros.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Sadly, nowadays PC and console games prices have become/are becomming pretty much the same. It's been happening over the last 2 years.

And yep, prices in EU and especially UK suck. I paid 80$ for the game (DDE in my case) my friend in the UK paid the same amount for the Digital standard edition. He could have gotten it for £40 from play.com, but he didn't want to wait for the delivery.

And after playing the game over the last beta weekend we both think it was worth it. *shrugs*

Is it fair? No, probably not. That's why the thing most people in EU do is go to retailers and buy from them. They not only pay less this way, but most of the money don't even go to Arenanet/NCSoft. If you feel that the Digital Edition is too expensive you're free to purchase it from a retailer for less money. No one's stopping you.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by Ezhae

Originally posted by Istavaan

Because console games also have tax put in my console manufacturers (Sony/MS, called royalties, it's around 8-10$ iirc) while PC's don't because there is no monopoly when it comes to getting a PC. 

As for GW2 pricing - standard MMO price really as of late, add to that the game has no subscrpition fee and that it's early adoption price, it will be cheaper few months after release. 

The digital vs retail thing been done countless times. Publishers/developers aren't allowed to sell digital products cheaper due to retail grip on pricing model. They say "we won't stock your game if you try sell it cheaper than we", it's simple as that. Blame the B&M shops.

This has nothing to do about "the game has no fee" and it's not a matter of standard mmo price... It's just the matter of pure math... If they can sell it in US for some amount why can't they sell it to others in the rest of the world for that exact same amount since it's a digital version?

59.99$ isn't the same as 49.99 GBP (which is around 80 USD [$])... The prices at retailer in europe for pre-orders are not that high (they're around 37.99 GBP) so there isn't even a reason for them charging that high on their official site when even the physical editions are cheaper!

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------