Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: It Just Keeps Getting Better

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The last beta event presented an even better portrait of Guild Wars 2 than in the previous ones. Find out why we think so in our latest Guild Wars 2 column before leaving us your thoughts in the comments.

First off the main difference in the last Beta was that the number of players was increased, by a lot! I can’t give a number but I saw players everywhere, and it was awesome. Due to the high number of players running around, I got to really experience one of the game’s features in full force. We’ve all heard and read about Dynamic Events. Some of us have gotten the chance to actually see them in action. The dynamic events are designed so that as more players participate in the event, or leave the event, its difficulty changes accordingly. This means enemies have more health and more abilities to use. But I saw something I hadn’t seen previousl: the AI on enemies got better.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: It Just Keeps Getting Better.

Things go from just angry looking, to you’re worst nightmare.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

*yawn* Feels like Warhammer I played it, game is not that great. Nice writing though.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• sorakinsorakin Member Posts: 7
    @betaguy
    Wow that's funny have you even tried the BETA? Or are you just being a troll?
  • crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I absolutly loved the beta and while I disagree with Betaguy having some aspects of the game similar to WAR woulden't be a terrible thing (SOME aspects).

By my experience this appars to be a great game - PvE was fun, class choices were fun, PvP was fun.  Sure it's not perfect, but I see very little to complain about.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by sorakin

@betaguy

Wow that's funny have you even tried the BETA? Or are you just being a troll?

Well he likes Tera... I think that explains it all.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Betaguy

*yawn* Feels like Warhammer I played it, game is not that great. Nice writing though.

Warhammer is one dimensional while GW2 is astronomical. People that haven't played GW2 reach for Warhammer for comparisons because of the public quest areas and thats all they know. The DE in GW2 are not little public quests, they are immersive and totally different. 

If you are going to flame, find a new line or comparison game.  Your attempts make ME yawn. 

edit: spelling

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

It's actually the same system that in WAR but A.net has really nailed it.

Mainly because

1) The only means to level

2) Easy to find

3) No need for setting up a group

4) Scaling difficulty (Although it's really hard to screw up)

Oh and good job MMORPG.com your daily GW2 gloating article is done!

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

"Things go from just angry looking, to you’re worst nightmare."

The caption under the first picture should say Things go from just angry looking, to YOUR worst nightmare.

Sorry, just drives me crazy O.o

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Warhammer is like guildwars 2 just as volkswagon is like Ferrari.
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Originally posted by Shana77

Warhammer is like guildwars 2 just as volkswagon is like Ferrari.

Where are the collectable trophies?

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

The last beta event presented an even better portrait of Guild Wars 2 than in the previous ones. Find out why we think so in our latest Guild Wars 2 column before leaving us your thoughts in the comments.

First off the main difference in the last Beta was that the number of players was increased, by a lot! I can’t give a number but I saw players everywhere, and it was awesome. Due to the high number of players running around, I got to really experience one of the game’s features in full force. We’ve all heard and read about Dynamic Events. Some of us have gotten the chance to actually see them in action. The dynamic events are designed so that as more players participate in the event, or leave the event, its difficulty changes accordingly. This means enemies have more health and more abilities to use. But I saw something I hadn’t seen previousl: the AI on enemies got better.

In the last Beta it was presented BETTER than in the previous ones?

O

M

G

That would mean the previous ones were a desaster! Everywhere I look, other people who played GW2 mirror my experience: Over 50% are not pleased what they got served in the First Open-Beta WE.

Over 50%! Can you imagine who much that is? Inconceivable!

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Mainly because

2) Easy to find

Looks pretty equal to me. I think they are mixing them up pretty fairly. http://www.mmorpg.com/features.cfm

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Very accurate.

I've never died so much in a Beta (or even live MMO) and I absolutely love it.

Getting downed and having to Rally or be healed by other players is just part of the game, the more people in an event the harder the mobs/boss hits and the more you'll be rallying and healing.

I did find as I got higher level with more skills and I got more comfortable with how the combat system REALLY works, I died less and less compared to other people around me.

It really is a paradigm shift - you have to learn to play differently.

You can't just stand there and beat and stuff, and you can't just try and kite everything running in circles.

You will fail at both.

Originally posted by 4bsolute

O

M

G

That would mean the previous ones were a desaster! Everywhere I look, other people who played GW2 mirror my experience: Over 50% are not pleased what they got served in the First Open-Beta WE.

If you and a friend played and he liked it and you didn't then I understand your 50% theory. But you are not even close with those numbers.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

O

M

G

lol by far the reaction to the first BWE was positive. Nice try though.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

I have to check it better next beta :)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Where the heck are you looking to find 50% of people who disliked the BWE?

Seriously man, the interwebs in general and every MMO site is just beaming with praise for this game.

You don't like it? Fine, to each their own, but please for the love of God can we stop with the lies and slander?

I'm sorry someone pissed in your cheerios, I really hope ya'll find a game you can get excited about too.

Let us have ours.

Here's a hint: Being excited and happy is a GOOD THING! I'm tired of all the negativity and disappointment.

Go watch some "Debby Downer" skits from SNL and then look in a mirror.

GW2 does just keep getting better, the more I go back and analyze what I really enjoyed and questioned in the game etc. post-BWE the more I want to play more and the more I realize how different things really are done in GW2 and especially how different it feels.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

First, WAR could had been a great game. It had implemented features that many other developers imitated for their mmos. It was just stuck with the wrong people. Had they waited couple more months and you would be still playing it now.

Second, if you dont like GW2, ill give you this:

a. you are playing EVE online and i salute you.

b. you are waiting for WoW 2099 "earth odyssey" and you better wake up.

c. you just woke up and forgot to eat your breakfast.

I can even give you that you may be playing other mmo and having fun, its ok. Not only the game itself makes a gamer play. Friends and community matters also. I can have fun playing with my friends a crappy game or i can find myself alone playing the best mmo ever and be bored with it.

But saying GW2 is "not that great" *yawn*??? omg....what are you playing then?

Dont tell me its the "bouncing boobs TERA??

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Clerigo

First, WAR could had been a great game. It had implemented features that many other developers imitated for their mmos. It was just stuck with the wrong people. Had they waited couple more months and you would be still playing it now.

I can even give you that you may be playing other mmo and having fun, its ok. Not only the game itself makes a gamer play. Friends and community matters also. I can have fun playing with my friends a crappy game or i can find myself alone playing the best mmo ever and be bored with it.

Me Gusta <_>

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Mainly because

2) Easy to find

Looks pretty equal to me. I think they are mixing them up pretty fairly. http://www.mmorpg.com/features.cfm

Equal in number not in content. 

• Veeshan22Veeshan22 Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Amjoco

O

M

G

If you and a friend played and he liked it and you didn't then I understand your 50% theory. But you are not even close with those numbers.

There was a pole about it just after beta finished numbers were when i last look 94% for GW 2 and 6%didnt like it

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

*cheers* Game feels utterly fantastic, and is great.

It actually felt like a true mmo experience. This is the first time i've felt that since playing the 'originals' (Ultima Online, Everquest, Asheron's Call and Dark Age of Camelot).

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Clerigo

A person's opinion is their opinion, if they like Tera more there's nothing wrong with that. I took his response to be toward Mr. North, who no one can argue that he is not painting this game to be the best thing ever.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

O

M

G

Are you able to provide something quantifiable to your 50% theory? My experience was quite different. I saw FAR LESS complaints about GW2 beta weekend than a beta event, or sometimes even a launch event, for almost every other MMO out there.

I, for one, enjoyed the beta weekend and felt that the game was already pretty solid. It does take some mental adjustment for us vets of MMOs becuase it playes differently but it was fun. I had to get out of the habit of tracking down the quest givers becuase you don't need too (though you still can) as an example of my need for some thought change with GW2.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    If you want to see some amazing GW2 AI then head to the mists and go North to the PvP training NPCs. Those guys lay down the hurt.
  • BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

I was in the beta event and REALLY enjoyed myself... ALOT! It doesn't play really like any MMO that I have ever played before. It's even different from the original Guild Wars. That for me is a huge plus. I'm tired of playing WoW over and over again. I also loved that the game world felt huge and alive. There was an actual reason to explore the world. I haven't had that feeling since the original EverQuest. I also loved how helpful people were. Just amazing. I can't even remember when the last time was that I've even seen that. The game all in all was just a fun game to play. I really had fun.

On a side note, who did the artwork for this article? It makes me think of the old school first edition Dungeons & Dragons game (AD&D). Pretty classy! I like that alot. It added flair to the article. 

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com