Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera - the most boring repeatable mobs in recent mmo's

JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676

Having played from eq through wow, gw, rift, aion, swtor, ffxiv. etc etc

Yes, I know that all mmo's repeat mobs at different levels to some degree. They do however add new ones or some different  mechanic to add a degree of interest.

Some even merge these into a storyline....

Not so Tera, this has got to be the most uninteresting levelling experience I've had, and that's saying something compared to Aion at original launch.

How many Jesters can they stick in the game? Looking exactly the same, doing exactly the same, with exactly the same adds. Talk about cut and paste programming.

No wonder this game bombed in Asia. It just goes to show that you have to have some indpendent thought in addition to getting yourself sued by NCsoft

Comments

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

I am playing tera too and i agree with u =/

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

I have to agree with ya on this one, The leveling on this game is downright boring. But that's just korean games for you, all they like is the same things over and over. The only interesting thing I can see being fun about this game is the BAMs, Vanarchy system and dungeons.

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83

I gave this one a try a few months ago during one of the weekend betas, and i had such high hopes for it at one point, but yea i didnt last more than 30 mins.

First Quest, go kill 5 tree monsters...alright sure

Second Quest, go kill 5 elder tree monsters......uninstall

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I'm to get my copy by mail today. You guys are suppose to pump me up and get me excited about it! This is not helping! image

To bad the combat style couldn't been added to Rift or even Vanguards enviroment. Oh well, I'm going to use my imagination and mobs will look different no matter what! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by Amjoco

I'm to get my copy by mail today. You guys are suppose to pump me up and get me excited about it! This is not helping! image

To bad the combat style couldn't been added to Rift or even Vanguards enviroment. Oh well, I'm going to use my imagination and mobs will look different no matter what! 

You mean like green trees, yellow trees, pink trees, red trees with white dots?

I also found the lack of variaty disturbing, but even worse that mobs with 1 level difference had a different name and as such didn't count for quests.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

You've just described WHAT EVERY MMO HAS DONE since the late 90s... Can you please find something useful to complain about?

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Funny, because i find the mobs varying alot. In one small area/quest i might have to come up with 4 different strategies to take down the 4 different "classes" of mobs. Some of them are way harder then others depending on what class you play, so just smashing your face against them can result in very bad HP management and loads of downtime, or even death.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

The mob designs are actually some of the most inspired and unique I've seen.  There is some truly crazy looking stuff, and they pay attention to small details.  I think the mob that really caught my attention first was this little guy that rides around on a frog... and when the frog falls down the guy riding him bops him on the head to make him stand back up.  Another example is the animations BAMs and mobs do with they are giving their "tells" for an attack.  Sometime it's something flashy like a glowing eyes, other times it can be something extremely subtle and hard to catch. There's a lot of little animation touches like this that add a ton of flavor to the game.

It does reuse models and animations throughout the game.  So does every other MMO .  Atleast in Tera the mobs have significantly different fighting styles.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

They are exaggerating, pay them no mind and go enjoy yourself.  I'm level 37 right now and don't see any real issue with the repeating npc's. 

Sure, there's some re-use, but you'll be surprised at the new ones they add, even if you find yourself kiling some elks once again.

Some of the BAMs are particularly entertaining in their design.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265

I'm a level 48 human lancer, While there seem to be a lot of reused models through the game, they start looking different. As in they are wearing different armor, They are larger, They are mutated, etc.

But the biggest thing for me that keeps me playing is that they have different moves than the old models. Especialy around level 40. These mobs will kick your ass a few times.

That said, It's not as bad as you put it OP. There are a ton of different and new monsters that aren't reused. I'm seeing more and more of them and I reach toward endgame.

I'm fighting more ARGONS! Argons are one of the main threats in tera, you wont find them at low levels, and they are not easy mobs or bosses. Their design is absolutely stunning to me.

In my honest opinion, You haven't given the game enough chance to be able to come here and rant. End-o-story.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

You never played Lineage2 did you?

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Great more people that didn't have any patience to make it past lvl20. FYI It gets alot better later on in the game.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Aramanu2

Great more people that didn't have any patience to make it past lvl20. FYI It gets alot better later on in the game.

Do you want to play with those kinds of people?

Simply meaning, you'll come across more like-minded folk while playing.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

What kind of spaztic individual judges a MMO based on its first hour of play.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by NBlitz

I'm sorry I have higher standards when it comes to gaming and think developers that can't get it right from the start don't deserve my support. Having to play a certain amount of time before it gets "good" is a big no no for me. Tera failed miserably in that.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265

Then why are you playing mmo's?

I'd love to hear what MMO's got it "right" for you.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Connmacart

Originally posted by NBlitz

I'm sorry I have higher standards when it comes to gaming and think developers that can't get it right from the start don't deserve my support. Having to play a certain amount of time before it gets "good" is a big no no for me. Tera failed miserably in that.

Speak for yourself. Others, including me, have been having fun from the get-go. From what we can gather by simply browsing around the net.

These are the kind of people I've been coming across on my travels and who I'm having fun with. It all comes neatly together.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I have the same problem with this game's mobs that I do with SWTORs.  It's not the lack of variety, it's how they are placed and set up.  You either fight 1 single mob, which I like or you fight 1 mob and his 8 little friends which is annoying as all hell, specially when they get under your feet and for some reason the targeting doesn't always hit them.  Can't hit a mob at point blank range?  WTF!!!  Every quest tells you to go fight clumps of these or the single mobs.  I actually jump for joy when I get collect quests and deliver quests because those let me see something new. 

Again, just like SWTOR, this game has no real depth.  SWTOR had story and no combat with lackluster enemy clusters and boring leveling.  Tera has combat with lackluster enemy clusters, boring leveling and a pitiful story.

If I could take Tera's combat and throw it into games like EQ2, Aion, and SWTOR I would be a happy camper.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Tera is super linear, there's no question about it. But it is not boring if you're in a light hearted mood, or simply chatting with other on the discussion canal while bashing mobs.

Lvl 18 warrior here, and this is how it turned out to be for me. Mindlessly click on "accept" quests, go to waypoint, turn off the brain, bash, and have some good times in the chat à-la-MSN. I'm actually enjoying this mood.

And I'm starting to think this is what korean grind fests are supposed to be. Chatrooms in a fantasy world.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by elocke

I have the same problem with this game's mobs that I do with SWTORs.  It's not the lack of variety, it's how they are placed and set up.  You either fight 1 single mob, which I like or you fight 1 mob and his 8 little friends which is annoying as all hell, specially when they get under your feet and for some reason the targeting doesn't always hit them.  Can't hit a mob at point blank range?  WTF!!!  Every quest tells you to go fight clumps of these or the single mobs.  I actually jump for joy when I get collect quests and deliver quests because those let me see something new. 
    Again, just like SWTOR, this game has no real depth.  SWTOR had story and no combat with lackluster enemy clusters and boring leveling.  Tera has combat with lackluster enemy clusters, boring leveling and a pitiful story.
    If I could take Tera's combat and throw it into games like EQ2, Aion, and SWTOR I would be a happy camper.

100% agree with you here... Really hoping TSW doesn't dissapoint... With decent combat SWTOR would have been a decent game... Oh well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by tachgb

You've just described WHAT EVERY MMO HAS DONE since the late 90s... Can you please find something useful to complain about?

Come on now after 12 years they should have perfected of making good games by now...Oh wait are we still waiting for the Asians games to catch up? Cut, Paste,Repeat,Give it a different name? image

I retired retroactively..Haha

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by DarkVagabond

What kind of spaztic individual judges a MMO based on its first hour of play.

Ones who expect the game to be fun from the time they log in till they log out for the last time. Thoes of us who hold MMO developers to the same standard as other developers.  If I'm not entertained by story, combat, random game mechanics in the first couple hours I'm not going to continue to play. However if I find anything I do like I will continue to play to see if there is more I like.

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Popple

Come on now after 12 years they should have perfected of making good games by now...Oh wait are we still waiting for the Asians games to catch up? Cut, Paste,Repeat,Give it a different name? image

Asian games? Lets see how good Western mmos are... Warhammer online FLOP, DC universe FLOP + F2p, AOC FLOP + f2p, DO i really have to list all the failures? Other than WOW most of these games were pathetic. You make it sound like they are behind when they actually got the better games. Go take a Look at Archage and many of their other games. You people complain about the same fucking thing everytime.

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160

Originally posted by Alucardlb

I gave this one a try a few months ago during one of the weekend betas, and i had such high hopes for it at one point, but yea i didnt last more than 30 mins.

First Quest, go kill 5 tree monsters...alright sure

Second Quest, go kill 5 elder tree monsters......uninstall

Thanks for the laugh!.. your comments cracked me up :D

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

so year after year we should just accept the same old thing and never expect these games to progress? You still an avid pong player?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg