Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How far away are we from realistic combat?

//\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Let me define what I mean by realistic: 

No healthbars. No damage numbers. Physics applied to the actual combat mechanics with respect to effects etc.

When will I be able to swing a sword at a creatures arm and sever it dependent on the velocity of the blade, etc.?

Is it still a pipe dream at this point , or will I actually see it in my lifetime?

MMOs were in a sort of rut for the past 10 years with everything being hot-key based; the action MMO, which is arguably the next evolution of combat, has only recently been a trend although it has been a staple for single player games for quite some time now.

Am I alone in wanting my character to be mortally wounded if hit by a tiny arrow in the right place? Would the prospect of everybody being a "one-shot" drive away any potential playerbase, or would this be the norm, in say 30 years from now?

I suppose it's a bit of a technical question, since there aren't many engines out there that can simulate physics that keenly without eating up your GPU and CPU alive.

Am I alone in wanting the fully immersive experience with respect to combat?

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

Comments

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by //\//\oo

No healthbars. No damage numbers. Physics applied to the actual combat mechanics with respect to effects etc.

When will I be able to swing a sword at a creatures arm and sever it dependent on the velocity of the blade, etc.?

Is it still a pipe dream at this point , or will I actually see it in my lifetime?

MMOs were in a sort of rut for the past 10 years with everything being hot-key based; the action MMO, which is arguably the next evolution of combat, has only recently been a trend although it has been a staple for single player games for quite some time now.

Am I alone in wanting my character to be mortally wounded if hit by a tiny arrow in the right place? Would the prospect of everybody being a "one-shot" drive away any potential playerbase, or would this be the norm, in say 30 years from now?

I suppose it's a bit of a technical question, since there aren't many engines out there that can simulate physics that keenly without eating up your GPU and CPU alive.

If you want combat that realistic, I'd suggest taking up boxing rather than video games. The great thing about games is that they're NOT realistic. Its because we can do things we normally cant that make games so exciting.

I'm not saying you're wrong for your preference, or anything like that, but I honestly wonder how many people that actually say they want something like this, including perma-death, would actually be pleased with it if they got it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Originally posted by //\//\oo

If you want combat that realistic, I'd suggest taking up boxing rather than video games. The great thing about games is that they're NOT realistic. Its because we can do things we normally cant that make games so exciting.

I'm not saying you're wrong for your preference, or anything like that, but I honestly wonder how many people that actually say they want something like this, including perma-death, would actually be pleased with it if they got it.

^^^ This.

i don't want realistic combat. I want FUN GAME mechanics.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

We're a long.....sigh.....long way off. 

Im not saying it probably couldnt be done right now.  Because it really could.  It just seems developers dont want too. 

Take WoW for example.  Thats been out forever.  Now this isnt exactly what the OP means, but the game has dodge, parry, and block.  Good stuff.  How often do you really see that happen in melee combat?  The animations are already there. 

All WoW would have to do is configure it so that dodge, parry, and block happen far more often across all classes and mobs.  Hit damage should probably be amped up a bit since it will happen less often perhaps.  Or speed it up.  The animations are ALREADY THERE.  Yet.....its just stupid looking as it is.  I hit a creature, he hits me back, I hit him again, he hits me back, then I dodge, then I hit him and he hits me back. 

I should only get hit 2 or 3 times in a fight and then Im dead.  Same for my enemy.  The rest of the time we should both be blocking and dodging and parrying regularly.  Thats how a fight works. 

I mean the least devs could do is make it look like real combat is actually happening.  It doesnt have to blow my mind.  It just needs to look half decent and we're not even there yet.  Much less it actually being truly realistic to where if I get hit in the neck with a sword Im dead on the first strike. 

I guess it might be done one day but we're no where close.  Even games that have been out forever like WoW who has the capability to improve combat with animations just occuring more often that are already in the game, just dont do it. 

So beats me. 

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    What you describe sounds like Mortal Online a little bit.

I don't know for sure How close it is, as I only played briefly after being begged by friend to try the trial and hating it, but it sounds similar from what they described.

Now that game is a pile of poo in my opinion for many other reasons, but try out the trial and see what you think.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

I would say the only true way your going to experience true combat on a console/PC any time soon is to repeatedly smash face into your monitor till nose bleeds, then get the monitor to display "you have been owned" as it spins around on its mount laughing.

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

Not far. Grab a gun. Go to your local bank and wave it around. Wait for police. Commence realistic combat.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by enoch420

Not far. Grab a gun. Go to your local bank and wave it around. Wait for police. Commence realistic combat.

Now you see where you went wrong there, your implying that one should actually get out of chair in front of the PC and go to bank and wave gun around.

So not realistic due to fact of having to leave house.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Very far. 

Very very very very very far.

Anyway even if that kind of games will be created - it will be niche anyway.

• Veeshan22Veeshan22 Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by kruler

Now you see where you went wrong there, your implying that one should actually get out of chair in front of the PC and go to bank and wave gun around.

No one said you had to leave your chair : P just push it along while ur sitting in it till you get to the bank. Chairs have wheel on now : )

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Veeshan22

Originally posted by kruler

No one said you had to leave your chair : P just push it along while ur sitting in it till you get to the bank. Chairs have wheel on now : )

I LOL'ed.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido_Blade_(video_game)

This is as close as we got. Loved that game. Maybe in the future someone will be able to create a system which can cater to realistic physics, have absolutely NO lag AND have motion capture which works 200% of the time and doesn't make you look stupid in game, also need some sort of feedback device. That was my biggest gripe with motion controls, no feedback sucks when you're imagining swinging a sword into someone's neck.

The biggest hurdle is creating around the idea. Sounds good but what is the game around it? In a fighting game the idea is pretty sound. It wouldn't be fun for noobs but who cares about them anyway. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Meh.

If I would need realistic combat, I can get into martial arts or the military or some other place like that.

What I want from a game is a mild intellectual challenge - what ability do I use next, and where do I position myself.

Basically I play games for fun. Realism ? I dont care about that. Realism is for reality and its quite boring, to be honest.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Have you guys never heard of MORTAL ONLINE http://www.mortalonline.com/?  It's like a MUCH more realistic version of Darkfall.  It does have a health meter, but the combat is all physics based hit detection.  There is melee, archery and magic, all real-time and first-person (no 3rd person option) and all can be performed while riding a mount as well!  You can even pickpocket other players but if they notice you you are screwed.  It has no levels or classes, just skills you get better at as you do them and attributes which are basically there to cap the number of skills you can max so you can be a master of all trades and have to work with other players.  It also has one of the most complex and dense crafting systems I've ever seen.  It just doesn;t really have a story to it or much context to the world.

The game is very small and underfunded sadly so there isn't much to it beyond that, basically a hardcore full-loot open pvp sandbox, but if you ever played a game called "Mount and Blade" and wished for that type of combat in an MMO, there it is (except there's also magic). 

I was really hoping Zenimax was going to look at this game as a basis for Elder Scrolls Online since with their funding they could take that diamond-in-the-rough and polish it til it was shiny and brilliant...oh well.  They screwed that pooch pretty hard.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I think when a bigger procentage of the population has fiberoptic a real-time combat system will become possible or atleast the big developers do not have an excuse anymore not to implement it. 

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Bushido Blade series did a good job with realistic combat.

I don't  see RPG's and especially MMO's ever considering going that route though. Works great in fighting games though.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well thats a fast but stupid option ... getting actual military training and then getting employed for afghanistan might be much safter, because you have an actual chance at survival.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Adamantine

Well thats a fast but stupid option ... getting actual military training and then getting employed for afghanistan might be much safter, because you have an actual chance at survival.

And faster most likely. It's not so easy in most countries to just "grab a gun" ;)