Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 reasons this game will probably die or go f2p. (IMPO)

After playing to level 32 I got really bored with this game, it really doesn't add much new to the genre of MMOs other than the combat, which even that we've all seen in games like DCUO and AoC. 

There is so many problems with Tera, I don't even know where to start really.

1.) The game doesn't add anything new other than the combat which even that like I said is something we've seen before.

2.) The game's graphics aren't THAT great, I mean sure it's better than most but it's nowhere near like something you'd see in Crysis or BF3.

3.) The difficulty is too low for most classes, the only challenging ones I've really played seemed to be priest and even that isn't all that hard.

4.) The bosses are too generic, same thing we've seen in WoW only made prettier and a bit more detail.

5.) The races - The elin race is by far the most offensive thing I've seen in this game, seriously it's a childlike character that's very revealing I mean wth is up with people? The other thing is that almost every other female character is very revealing as well. Same could go for the males, unless you're bakara or human.

6.) The questing - They advertise it as a NEW breed of MMO, yet I still pick up quests, go here go there, collect this kill that, same bs as in every generic MMO.

7.) Channels and small areas - Seriously the game is way too small to where they had to impliment channels/zones for players, a MMO should NOT have that.

8.) Mounts - Only the pre-order/CE mounts and the default ones, pretty lame that there couldn't be more of a variety.

9.) Armor - There's different armor, sure, but they all look the same for set levels which just makes the customization/styles of characters very limited.

10.) The monthly fee - After all the above stated, this game lacks the quality and features for $15 a month.

I feel slightly cheated, yet at the same point not surprised.

There's quite a bit more smaller complaints about this game I have, but I just wanted to cover the main ones in this Review/Impression.

My advice would be to wait for a free trial for this game and try it out if you're even considering TERA.

I personally just feel the game is atrocious and not deserving of the $15 month fee PLUS the $50 price tag. 

Comments

• pdeemerpdeemer Member UncommonPosts: 8

You are correct in all of your points and I also play this game.

- If you die then you don't go to a local town you go back to the primary town which can be like 20mins travel or you can pay to travel back.

- When you die you have to wait around 2 minutes to restore your stamina which in affect gives your like 20% more health and mana which makes a huge difference.

- PvP - Lot of level 40's sat at level 11 area killing every low level that crosses the safe zone and there is no punishment for them either.

- PvP is completely unbalanced. I was level 20 vs 27 and the amount of difference is stupid! He could one shot me and I wasn't able to do any damage to him because he resisted nearly everything the same feeling of attacking a AI mob 10 levels higher, you do no dmg but get hit like a brick and 24/7 crits.

- Questing is boring and easy, I'm level 24 but because the leveling SOOO OFF. I'm doing level 18-19 quests because the game is soo badly built. You find yourself moving to a new town every 10 quests? It's qutie frustrating and feels exactly like Aion. Where as you will just follow the quest path like robots and its soo boring and lonely unless you do a dungeon but theres no easy way to travel.

- When you teleport to a location, there is no way to teleport back??? it's a one way trip so you can't get to town easily.

- The 'UNSTUCK' button allows you to INSTANTLY teleport to a town in ANY situation and has a 30mins cooldown which is pritty overpowered and means Town Teleport has NO USE.

- If your in a DUNGEON and you DIE... you don't respawn nearby, nope. You go all the way back to the main town which like I said can be 20mins walk depending on how far it is or pay to teleport and still walk. They don't have NO RES PADS nearby.

- Crafting sucks and is really expensive.. you find yourself with loads of materials and nothing to craft since its so expensive to make one item as a simple robe requires like (seriously) 20 items of 6 different types?? and can cost a bomb and it's worth the skill point.

- Run to here to here to here then back here then here..oo now back to town.. then to quest place then to town...  it's sooo boring the questing and feels like a pure grind, I get the feeling "WHEN I WILL DING 60?! I just want this grind to end"

- BIg boss (BAM) is there... Someone hits it once and runs off and carries on with their questing.. so me and a group of people take it out (takes like 5 minutes) so then find we didn't get the kill because some noob just hit it once!

Oooo and did I mention, you can't see if people have damaged a monster?

- You can't view a friendly or enemies health unless you hit them or group them... 

- You can't right click a player to invite them to group unless they are 5m away and if they are fighting a boss and running around, it makes it nearly impossible to do it....

- You can't see peoples name as they can have Purple names or when move it makes it impossible to read so you have to wait until they type of do /invite name

- You are made to do a tutorial which puts you at level 20 and goes on for like 20-30minutes and rewards you with nothing and when your done, back to level 1 for you :)

- Everything is spelled out for you and tells you where to go... 

It's EXACTLY like Aion in Crafting... Questing... Graphics.. Zones... A LOT LIKE AION.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

The only reason you need is this one:

It's a themepark, in a market saturated with themeparks.

In fact, GW2 would also become free to play after a  6/ 9 months / a year or more if it was P2P.

TSW... SWTOR... B&S... Those are all future f2p's

Just get used to it, every themepark MMO that is coming out will also become F2P, or even worse... a ghost town P2P MMO like WAR.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I dunno. What MMO combat is hard... none? People get carried away with video game skill. Sure it exists but its relative. I mean... we are pushing buttons in succession. At least there's no macro to win. So that in and of itself takes more skill than most.

Sometimes I think I'm missing out on this game. If its really groups of players running around in the open world killing big monsters in open dungeons monster hunter style, and doing open world PvP in the process, then to me, that sounds freaking awesome.
  • Veeshan22Veeshan22 Member Posts: 9

Ill have to agree with you there aswell and the 2nd person post aswell.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by spaceport

In fact, GW2 would also become free to play after a  6/ 9 months / a year or more if it was P2P.

Just get used to it, every themepark MMO that is coming out will also become F2P, or even worse... a ghost town P2P MMO like WAR.

well at least themeparks have a moment in the sun, thats better then can be said for most sandboxes.

Originally posted by Terrorizor

well at least themeparks have a moment in the sun, thats better then can be said for most sandboxes.

EvE would like to have a word with you.

Funny... EvE... a sandbox MMO, is more successful than themeparks like AoC..WAR, Lotro, etc.

And it will be more succesful than TERA, SWTOR, TSW and any other themepark MMO that you could think off.

Good and polished sandbox MMOs grow in subs.

Themeparks decline.

MO and Darkfall are both low budget bug ridden indie obscure games...so you can't really compare them to big budget MMOs.

ArcheAge will probably be the same... start with 200-300k sales and grow over time.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123

Funny... EvE... a sandbox MMO, is more successful than themeparks like AoC..WAR, Lotro, etc.

And it will be more succesful than TERA, SWTOR, TSW and any other themepark MMO that you could think off.

Themeparks decline.

MO and Darkfall are both low budget bug ridden indie obscure games...so you can't really compare them to big budget MMOs.

ArcheAge will probably be the same... start with 200-300k sales and grow over time.

yet eve and other sandbox games will never outshine themepark mmos...cuz its not popular enough

Why are sandboxes limited to sci-fi or first person. Neither of those two gaming styles appeal to me. Why can't I have a good ole fantasy sandbox in 3rd person 3D? I mean, shit, P&P is the ultimate sandbox game. Why wouldn't they think it could be successful. Ugh. It's dumb. Archeage, I know. Leaving my hopes with Koreans. A society and culture I know nothing about. Come on... make a real sandbox. Wtf. Isn't that what MMOs are suppose to be... virtual D&D. People need beat.
  • Veeshan22Veeshan22 Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by drakaena

Why are sandboxes limited to sci-fi or first person. Neither of those two gaming styles appeal to me. Why can't I have a good ole fantasy sandbox in 3rd person 3D? I mean, shit, P&P is the ultimate sandbox game. Why wouldn't they think it could be successful. Ugh. It's dumb. Archeage, I know. Leaving my hopes with Koreans. A society and culture I know nothing about. Come on... make a real sandbox. Wtf. Isn't that what MMOs are suppose to be... virtual D&D. People need beat.

The people who try and make snadbox fantasy games dont have the budget to make it realy good they have a gret concept but they get let down on deliverance due to low budget/manpower, which is the sandbox industry biggist problem atm.

Im sure if a big company who had the budget and manpower did a sandbox well it will do extreamly well.

Yep. It blows. Pinning my hopes on AA. It just seems so obvious though. Especially given the stale climate of the MMO market.
  • SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by descreth

After playing to level 32 I got really bored with this game, it really doesn't add much new to the genre of MMOs other than the combat, which even that we've all seen in games like DCUO and AoC. 

1.) The game doesn't add anything new other than the combat which even that like I said is something we've seen before.

2.) The game's graphics aren't THAT great, I mean sure it's better than most but it's nowhere near like something you'd see in Crysis or BF3.

3.) The difficulty is too low for most classes, the only challenging ones I've really played seemed to be priest and even that isn't all that hard.

4.) The bosses are too generic, same thing we've seen in WoW only made prettier and a bit more detail.

5.) The races - The elin race is by far the most offensive thing I've seen in this game, seriously it's a childlike character that's very revealing I mean wth is up with people? The other thing is that almost every other female character is very revealing as well. Same could go for the males, unless you're bakara or human.

6.) The questing - They advertise it as a NEW breed of MMO, yet I still pick up quests, go here go there, collect this kill that, same bs as in every generic MMO.

7.) Channels and small areas - Seriously the game is way too small to where they had to impliment channels/zones for players, a MMO should NOT have that.

8.) Mounts - Only the pre-order/CE mounts and the default ones, pretty lame that there couldn't be more of a variety.

9.) Armor - There's different armor, sure, but they all look the same for set levels which just makes the customization/styles of characters very limited.

10.) The monthly fee - After all the above stated, this game lacks the quality and features for $15 a month.

There's quite a bit more smaller complaints about this game I have, but I just wanted to cover the main ones in this Review/Impression.

My advice would be to wait for a free trial for this game and try it out if you're even considering TERA.

I personally just feel the game is atrocious and not deserving of the $15 month fee PLUS the $50 price tag. 

U are so right sir. thats some of the reasons this game might fail

Originally posted by ictown

Themeparks decline.

yet eve and other sandbox games will never outshine themepark mmos...cuz its not popular enough

Oh yeah... but they do.

You just have to wait, give time to people so they become bored to tears after a couple of months and unsub.

In fact... the only MMOs with more subs than EvE are WOW and SWTOR (for now) and maybe Tera.

Rift doesn't even have 300k subs now, and they keep merging servers.

If Themeparks are so "cool", and "popular" why do they always end up like f2p /dead games? because themeparks work like single player rpgs

People buy them and after a while... they stop playing, they don't have longterm appeal.

otacu

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Originally posted by pdeemer

- If you die then you don't go to a local town you go back to the primary town which can be like 20mins travel or you can pay to travel back.

- When you die you have to wait around 2 minutes to restore your stamina which in affect gives your like 20% more health and mana which makes a huge difference.

- PvP - Lot of level 40's sat at level 11 area killing every low level that crosses the safe zone and there is no punishment for them either.

- PvP is completely unbalanced. I was level 20 vs 27 and the amount of difference is stupid! He could one shot me and I wasn't able to do any damage to him because he resisted nearly everything the same feeling of attacking a AI mob 10 levels higher, you do no dmg but get hit like a brick and 24/7 crits.

- Questing is boring and easy, I'm level 24 but because the leveling SOOO OFF. I'm doing level 18-19 quests because the game is soo badly built. You find yourself moving to a new town every 10 quests? It's qutie frustrating and feels exactly like Aion. Where as you will just follow the quest path like robots and its soo boring and lonely unless you do a dungeon but theres no easy way to travel.

- When you teleport to a location, there is no way to teleport back??? it's a one way trip so you can't get to town easily.

- The 'UNSTUCK' button allows you to INSTANTLY teleport to a town in ANY situation and has a 30mins cooldown which is pritty overpowered and means Town Teleport has NO USE.

- If your in a DUNGEON and you DIE... you don't respawn nearby, nope. You go all the way back to the main town which like I said can be 20mins walk depending on how far it is or pay to teleport and still walk. They don't have NO RES PADS nearby.

- Crafting sucks and is really expensive.. you find yourself with loads of materials and nothing to craft since its so expensive to make one item as a simple robe requires like (seriously) 20 items of 6 different types?? and can cost a bomb and it's worth the skill point.

- Run to here to here to here then back here then here..oo now back to town.. then to quest place then to town...  it's sooo boring the questing and feels like a pure grind, I get the feeling "WHEN I WILL DING 60?! I just want this grind to end"

- BIg boss (BAM) is there... Someone hits it once and runs off and carries on with their questing.. so me and a group of people take it out (takes like 5 minutes) so then find we didn't get the kill because some noob just hit it once!

- You can't view a friendly or enemies health unless you hit them or group them... 

- You can't right click a player to invite them to group unless they are 5m away and if they are fighting a boss and running around, it makes it nearly impossible to do it....

- You can't see peoples name as they can have Purple names or when move it makes it impossible to read so you have to wait until they type of do /invite name

- You are made to do a tutorial which puts you at level 20 and goes on for like 20-30minutes and rewards you with nothing and when your done, back to level 1 for you :)

It's EXACTLY like Aion in Crafting... Questing... Graphics.. Zones... A LOT LIKE AION.

The devs have spent so much time on tera since the initial korea launch and this game still sounds like in early beta. No matter how blind fanboys spin it, this game is going down eventually.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by Cetra

The devs have spent so much time on tera since the initial korea launch and this game still sounds like in early beta. No matter how blind fanboys spin it, this game is going down eventually.

Well its pointless to point of tera fanbois when your a huge GW2 fanboi...doesnt make much sense to do so.  Im just glad theres a game that isnt doing tab targeting combat and doesnt incorperate quake style fps combat...this ones diffrent.

As such ill support the developers taking risks and breaking the EQ+DAOC style of game play thats been beaten to death.

If your all about supporting a game that is EQ+DAOC with tab target combat, in a fantasy setting, by all means enjoy GW2's repackaging of warhammer.  We all know whats going to happen to GW2 in 2-6 months is the same thing that happend to every other over hyped game that preceeded it.

Ill stick to playing the games that actually try to bring something new to the table, rather than repackaging dynamic events that have been around since anarchy online, or deleting the role of healer.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I am enjoying the game alot but I also agree that some things need to be addressed.

1. You should not loose all your stamina from dying. Maybe 5%- or 10% but thats it. Loosing all is too much because it takes too long to get back from a campire but you can get it back with potions. Campfires take too long to give back stamina. It needs to give stamina back alot faster then it does.

2. Resurrection Scrolls should not have a cooldown. If anything make it so the Healer resurection gives back lost stamina and the scrolls while having no cooldown does not give back stamina. That way healer rezzes would always be the preferred choice. Lineage 2 has a system like this to where the healer rezzes give back lost xp while the regular rez scrolls do not.

2. This game needs to sell the teleport scrolls that take you to the closest town. I know you can buy the ones that for a certain area but if it sold some that takes you to the closest town that would be better. Lineaeg 2 has these and it works out great. Porting out to areas where no tele is available is something I am used to in mmos but without the scrolls that I talked about earlier it makes it a pain at times.

3. Voice Chat need to be built into the game!

5. Infamy System still looks to be broken. Make it so that Reds have a chance to drop items depending on the more pks they have. I dont even know what the penalty is right now but I dont see penaltys for going red and pking.

6. Main Drain sucks for melees. My mana should not just drain on its own when I am not in combat.

7. Only make more channels as they are needed. We should not have 8 channels with 7 of them on low.

If the game is too easy for you then you are probaly playing it wrong. Stop doing all those side quest because if you do too many of them you will outlevel the content. The game is ment to be played to where you choose which quest you want to do. I do just enough side quest to keep me at the level of the main story quests. Fighting mobs your level or higher is the way. Trust me when I say the game is much more challenging and  fun this way. The Political System is going to be the make it or break it for TERA. If its good it could really bring something amazing to the game but if its bad then we have a problem.

• SalendrakSalendrak Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Cetra

Uhh, doesn't every MMO "fail", eventually? 

To the OP and the people that agree with him, personally, it sounds to me like you all just don't like MMORPG's, at least not in the current version that they are these days.

@pdeemer - the number of completely incorrect or exaggerated statements in your post is amazing!  You're completely wrong on many of your points, and I suspect you either don't understand how many aspects of the game work, or are just being intentionally misleading.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Maybe from now on you might actually trust in *some* forms of hype.  Not all hype is bad and like SWTOR it wouldnt of taken you more then a cursery glance to see things like this coming. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Is this a fault of the game, or the fact that hundreds of MMO's have come before it tauting dozens of different features? I find it very unlikely that any game will come out with more than one or two unique features (Combat System, Vanarcy). - Invalid

Are you serious here? The games graphics aren't that great compared to Crysis? This is the MMORPG market, it competes with other MMORPGS - It does not care what graphics Battlefield 3 has, the graphics are of a high quality as are the animations etc. - Invalid

Played with a semblance of intelligent all classes are easy, the game could do with increasing the difficulty of some of the monsters - Valid.

So, you've had a Giant Golem a Bullike Creater two Vampire people and a mutated popori guy in his prison as well as that giant spider thing.  You've been in two instances at level 32 and none of the bosses are generic, I fail to see how these things are common, WoW has hundreds of bosses in it's game if you avoided every boss in it you would be left with little options to base things off. - Invalid.

sThe Elin is the equivalent of an attractive Female Dwarf with a tail, as other people have already pointed out the body shape etc. are typical of a grown adult not a child of a similar size to the Elin. As far as the revealing goes, certain equipment is - As you say it is the same with the other characters. Some people can't handle it, personally I think the races are varied and good-looking and will add to the longevity of the game - Invalid.

All I saw on all the videos was "True Action Combat" not "Redefining the levelling system" - Needless to say this is as good as it can be on a questing system like this :

Pacing is fine

Drop rates are fine

Quest goals are fine

Given that TERA never claimed to redefine questing I fail to see how you can judge them for making a generic quality one - This will doubtless affect subs though - Valid.

sGW2 is also using channels, as other modern MMO's will - If you want to stay in the main zone stay in the main zone, it's to prevent overpopulation of quest areas etc. - Invalid 

There's the Bay Gelding, Brown Stallion, White Stallion, Lion at level 20 and there are more mounts at higher levels - There is no genuine mount variety given that some are better than others - Valid.

Personally all of my armor has looked considerably different as have the sets I see on other people - Invalid. 

My adult movie subscriptions cost me more than this game and only provide me with 3 minutes of entertainment a day and I can play this for well over 3 hours a day. It's not the game developers fault you're a cheapskate. 

You're misinformed and misguided. 

His final advice is fine though, it's always best to try a game out before you buy it.

Hi

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

The original post is in orange.

You later say that questing is boring and easy, perhaps you should try not to die to such a trivial non-entertaining task? Regardless, travel times vary and there's no reason for each mini-town to provide a respawn point.

Again, why is it you're dying? Everyone else seems to say the difficulty of the game is too easy - There should be penalties to dying and the stamina one is fine, sit by a campfire and go do something IRL for a few minutes. Or take one of the potions the NPCs give you that restores stamina. 

I must of levelled too quickly to notice this, this can be a problem for players - PvP system is flawed.

- PvP is completely unbalanced. I was level 20 vs 27 and the amount of difference is stupid! He could one shot me and I wasn't able to do any damage to him because he resisted nearly everything the same feeling of attacking a AI mob 10 levels higher, you do no dmg but get hit like a brick and 24/7 crit.

It's like this is A LOT of games.

Bro, Tuwanguia Mire is an OPTIONAL zone - You don't even need to do Celestial Hills if you don't want to, but it's your fault that you're going to the wrong zone, if you're level 24 you have the beginning quest to go to Popolion where the content will be level appropiate for you. I suppose it's the games fault for a lack of hand-holding other than giving you a quest when you hit the appropiate level.

Don't teleport to the wrong place? Carry a teleprot scroll? Use the Unstuck command?

- The 'UNSTUCK' button allows you to INSTANTLY teleport to a town in ANY situation and has a 30mins cooldown which is pritty overpowered and means Town Teleport has NO USE

No offense, but these two last points seem massively contradictory.

Plenty of Resurrection scrolls drop, your healer has Resurrection Spells at level 22 - How did you not learn from WoW - DO NOT PRESS RESURRECTION IN AN INSTANCE. This is common sense stuff..

Crafting definitely needs fixing.

I like the quests and I think they are well-paced and some are even fun to do, don't know why you're such a lethargic unhappy individual.

AHAHAAH, you and your friends aren't the brightest are you - WHY HAVEN'T YOU LEARNED ABOUT TAGGING MOBS IN AN MMO BEFORE?

The name becomes greyed out if someone else has tagged the mob.

That's why you have the /invite command

If someone is looking for a group their name will be in chat.

It's so you can test out your character class at a higher level before choosing it.

Apparently not enough for you to avoid an optional zone - LOLOLOLOL.

I haven't played Aion, it sounds good though ;D;D;D:D;D;D;D.

Hi

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yup Tera is nothing special its why i didnt bother buying it.. Same goes for GW2 its just the same old presented to you slighty different.. at the end of the day its a Themepark MMORPG waht do you expect..

Me I tend to only play Sandbox games as they offer so much more... to me even games like MO and Darkfall are leaps ahead of GW2 or Tera..

But thats my opinion we all like different things.

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

its too good of a game to just die

however it is not good enough to succeed as p2p

therefore, it will go f2p in the near future

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by Caldrin

Yup Tera is nothing special its why i didnt bother buying it.. Same goes for GW2 its just the same old presented to you slighty different.. at the end of the day its a Themepark MMORPG waht do you expect..

Me I tend to only play Sandbox games as they offer so much more... to me even games like MO and Darkfall are leaps ahead of GW2 or Tera..

But thats my opinion we all like different things.

MO and Darkfall? LMAO

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

I have to agree. I posted a comment a couple weeks ago about seeing this game go F2P.

It reminds me of Aion as well, but a bit more poorly implemented. I like the combat except for the stop and cast.

Interesting scenery in the horizon but not so much up close. I can see the potential, but I can tell they are not going to do anythign with this game.

Think about it...if it's been out a year already and it's not even in the states so they can't up and change things...what do you think will happen.

I have to say I'm liking a certain other MMo that I'm testing atm, which shall not be named and its not GW2. After that and GW2 comes out...yeah I can honestly say this game will be on the short list really quick.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

Originally posted by A_hi

its too good of a game to just die

however it is not good enough to succeed as p2p

therefore, it will go f2p in the near future

I agree. I think even Aion is still ticking so yeah I don't see Tera completely falling off...take this in point

Vanguard was a great game and it had crap sub numbers...and yet it's still ticking.

Anyone remember Alganon....exactly...if not look it up, you will be plesantly surprised. Oh there were great concepts to the game but oh so bad a almost direct off shoot of world of warcraft. I think that is still ticking...so yeah Tera won't die...

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

HEre u go with this bs again, it's an RPG, that's your reason against it. The rpg genere is the only reason the MMORPG came. Com to think of it, outside of Eve, is there ANY other sandbox game even remotely near a top ten games, in any catagory? 

Just real stupid to come into an MMORPG forum and clown the game for its RPG elements.  And then attempt to tote how u want civilication elements in rpg games and that will make the rpg better. No, that will just add civilization elements into the game