Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Estimated Price of Diablo 3 Gold and other RMAH FACTS

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by borkenvideo

Originally posted by colddog04

I tend to think people will pay a premium in order to feel safe about their purchases.

Could outside sellers sell items for less? Sure. But if it means I have to pay $1.50 extra to Blizzard to do it legally, I will.

Legally? Its not illegal, regardless of what these companies try to claim to do this outside... :D With proper wording anyhow.

Well, then without threat of getting banned.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Originally posted by Emeraq

30% is 30 cents on the dollar. Take a 10 dollar sale as an example, with a listing fee of one dollar and the 30% on a 10 dollar sale you are still turning a profit of 6 dollars, which for you is what? 600% profit? The item you sold cost you zero. (NO you can't count what you paid for the box as cost, as it's a game you are playing, you'd probably play it without the RMT)

Here's the math, they get one dollar for the listing, and 30% of $10 is 3.00. $10-$4= 6.00

You are making money for something that you don't own, something that isn't real, something that doesn't exist anywhere but in a video game....  Can we cry anymore over hobby time money?

So few people seem to see it this way.

What other business (hobby business or otherwise) can you create in which your cost of business is $0 while earning 60% profit margin on all sales.

And anyone who cites their time as the cost of business, in this particular case your time is free because the RMAH is pure bonus as you would be playing anyway.

Now, if you happen to get sick of D3 and don't want to play it at all, but you play it because it's your source of income, THEN your time becomes labor cost.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by dubyahite

I'll try to be more clear about this.

The 15% sale fee is going to be absorbed by the buyer.

The 15% withdrawal fee is going to be absorbed by the seller.

Noone is going to get hit with 30% fee unless they are a really bad seller.

If I sell something on the RMAH I get charged either $1 for an item or 15% for commodities as the seller

I get "paid" in battle.net dollars which can only be used on Blizz products and services.

If I want to see actual cash, then I pay another 15% "transaction fee" to Blizz/Paypal (though we do not know the split on this).

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/auction-house/how-to#fees

So I believe your assessment is incorrect.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• borkenvideoborkenvideo Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Slampig

So we find out new tidbits today about the Diablo 3 Auction House and fee structure.

Two interesting new facts get released to us.

1. The max you can sell any item for is $250.00

More stupidness, if your account goes over $250.00 battle funds, you have to cash it out if you want to do more transactions..

Thus, forcing you to pay fee's and get tracked, and whatnot, and mostly not be able to play any sort of Foriegn Exchange games.

2. 100,000,000,000 gold is the most you can sell at a time.

I guess this means that 100,000,000,000 gold = $250 right now... Kinda sad.

More problems, 15% to sell it, and 15% to cash it out.. Means, I think most people will be dealing outside this RMAH system that is suppose to stop people from going outside and getting scammed.. Great job Blizzard, you say one thing and do another...Sorry no way can I justify 15% cash out... I'm a bit peev'd at these announcements today... Nothing this system does is for us, its all been a sham. The only winners here is Blizzard. Because they will force it outside and probably ban and clean up outside forces to keep the economy in check for their internal gains.... So much for the player... Last minute bs explained to cover their asses, trying to sneak it by us lol.

Might just be me, but I have a feeling they didn't design this with you quitting your job and "playing" D3 full time to make a living... And really, you are upset over there being a $250 limit? I don't nkow, but if someone gave me $250 for selling freaking polygons, I would be kind of stoked...

You might be stoked, but when johnny asian is selling the "Sword of Diablo's Death enchantment" for $500 outside the AH only, and you want it.. Let's see what happens :D Get ready to get scammed... Limits create fraud. We learned this 10 years ago.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    "The guy is on drugs, if i sell gold, i get charged by blizzard 15%, then i cash out that money, i get charged 15%. He's like a CPA, thats how you go broke and they get rich..."

You are the "bad seller" I was talking about.

If you don't pass on the 15% transaction fee to your buyers then you are dumb.

Like I said, if I want to make $10 off an item, I sell it for $11.50. Again, basic math.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Its not making the game P2W so doesn't bother me.

How is this not P2W when it comes to PvP?

Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

@charlizzard.

Again, you would be a "bad seller"

Pass those fees on to your buyers. Build the fees into your auctions. Problem solved.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

"The guy is on drugs, if i sell gold, i get charged by blizzard 15%, then i cash out that money, i get charged 15%. He's like a CPA, thats how you go broke and they get rich..."

You are the "bad seller" I was talking about.

If you don't pass on the 15% transaction fee to your buyers then you are dumb.

Like I said, if I want to make $10 off an item, I sell it for $11.50. Again, basic math.

If I sell an item for $11.50, Blizz takes $1 and they give me $10.50 in Battle.net credit.

If I want to cash out, they take another 15%

That leaves me with $8.93 and Blizz with $1.57.

Basic math?

Blizz managed to create a revenue stream from a B2P game, it's amazing.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    I think your chance of getting your item sold will be a lot higher on blizzards ah than some 3rdkind party site. More people will be exposed to blizzards ah and feel much better w about spending. Look at eve...you can get more for you cash from third parties but the risk dissuades people. If blizzard watchs and removes 3rd party bought stuff no one will use them.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

@charlizzard.

Pass those fees on to your buyers. Build the fees into your auctions. Problem solved.

The market is competitive. You don't just get to "choose" your price and actually get it. The price is determined by supply and demand, not an arbitrary number you make up.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Slampig

So we find out new tidbits today about the Diablo 3 Auction House and fee structure.

More stupidness, if your account goes over $250.00 battle funds, you have to cash it out if you want to do more transactions..

Thus, forcing you to pay fee's and get tracked, and whatnot, and mostly not be able to play any sort of Foriegn Exchange games.

More problems, 15% to sell it, and 15% to cash it out.. Means, I think most people will be dealing outside this RMAH system that is suppose to stop people from going outside and getting scammed.. Great job Blizzard, you say one thing and do another...Sorry no way can I justify 15% cash out... I'm a bit peev'd at these announcements today... Nothing this system does is for us, its all been a sham. The only winners here is Blizzard. Because they will force it outside and probably ban and clean up outside forces to keep the economy in check for their internal gains.... So much for the player... Last minute bs explained to cover their asses, trying to sneak it by us lol.

Might just be me, but I have a feeling they didn't design this with you quitting your job and "playing" D3 full time to make a living... And really, you are upset over there being a $250 limit? I don't nkow, but if someone gave me $250 for selling freaking polygons, I would be kind of stoked...

You might be stoked, but when johnny asian is selling the "Sword of Diablo's Death enchantment" for $500 outside the AH only, and you want it.. Let's see what happens :D Get ready to get scammed... Limits create fraud. We learned this 10 years ago.

Haha, nice try. The last thing you are going to see me doing is dropping $500 on a fucking polygon. Unlike some people, I know that money can be used to a greater purpose elsewhere, like groceries, bills, gas for the car etc... That's something I learned 10 years ago...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• insanejoshinsanejosh Member Posts: 26

Some people really need to learn how to read.

Most people are going to be selling and buying Equipment on the RMAH. The only time you are being hit with 30% is on Commodities. The only Commodities I really see selling on the RMAH is Gems.

Also, what the hell is with all the QQ? You are selling items, maybe you need maybe you dont, that just cost you time playing a game you enjoy and you get to make a little cash. Hell its a win win situation.

If you don't understand why they get this percent or why they charge this amount, you need to go take some business courses and learn that not everything is free.

For Equipment (weapons, armor, accessories, and other unique items)

• Transaction Fee (Gold Auction House): 15% of final sale price

• Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): $1.00 USD per item / $1.00 AUD per item

• Transfer Fee (when sending proceeds to PayPal or other authorized payment-service provider): 15% of amount being transferred

For Commodities (gems, materials, dyes, pages, recipes, and other non-unique items)

• Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): 15% of final sale price

• Transfer Fee (when sending proceeds to PayPal or other authorized payment-service provider): 15% of amount being transferred

Originally posted by colddog04

@charlizzard.

The market is competitive. You don't just get to "choose" your price and actually get it. The price is determined by supply and demand, not an arbitrary number you make up.

He's probably a bean counter that doesnt even use the average ticket sale in his equation to profits..

Gotta love them guys, Some dude told me, that to save the $150 a day I lose to Ebays new june 1st rule, to raise my prices by 25 cents per auction and I will actually profit.... if i followed his amazing free advice and my sales stayed the same, i would only lose $129.00 per day... Thanks there mr bean counter.. how come you have no store and only 3 ebay feedback BTW? is what i asked him... (He failed to see the $89.00 average item price into the equation, considered me to be selling some cell phone skins or something at $2.99 lol, and thinks that the numbers will stay the same regardless of item sold.)

As I always say.. most are all talk, lets see the obvious come next month... wont be for a while, they stated RMAH wont happen till a week or more after launch, and im guessing that will be delayed....

" If I sell an item for $11.50, Blizz takes $1 and they give me $10.50 in Battle.net credit.
    If I want to cash out, they take another 15%
    That leaves me with $8.93 and Blizz with $1.57.
    Basic math?

Blizz managed to create a revenue stream from a B2P game, it's amazing."

Well I was just talking about the seller passing the transaction fee to the buyer and eating the cash out fee. This is going to happen.

Oh an about the b2p thing, sounds familiar, maybe like everybody darling Guild Wars 2? Only You don't get to make money off a traditional cash shop. You just lose money.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

Originally posted by insanejosh

Most people are going to be selling and buying Equipment on the RMAH. The only time you are being hit with 30% is on Commodities. The only Commodities I really see selling on the RMAH is Gems.

Also, what the hell is with all the QQ? You are selling items, maybe you need maybe you dont, that just cost you time playing a game you enjoy and you get to make a little cash. Hell its a win win situation.

If you don't understand why they get this percent or why they charge this amount, you need to go take some business courses and learn that not everything is free.

• Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): $1.00 USD per item / $1.00 AUD per item

For Commodities (gems, materials, dyes, pages, recipes, and other non-unique items)

Pretty sure its YOU who needs to learn how to read.

Your first fact wrong is that weapons and armor sell for $1.00 flat rate fee and only if sold.. Any other STACKABLE item is charged 15% fee on the RMAH and that everything sells at a price.

Even if you got that right.. you failed at the entire topic of this post.. These fee's do NOT discourage outside sales whatsoever, and that was the whole point of this system, and I also think you should go view the youtube panels, where the VIP of online tech, is constantly stating the entire point of the auction house is to COMBAT outside selling and to keep prices chargead from BLIZZARD as low as possible..

30% is not as low as possible.. its nowhere even near a LOW statement.. 15% would be TOP debatable. and that would not be LOW.

30% is LUDICROUS

• omegadethh7omegadethh7 Member Posts: 29

Seriously folks, complaining that Blizzard is taking their cut is a bit silly.

Of course they are going to monetize this.

Bottom line, if you don't want blizzard to take their fees, don't use the RMAH. Simple as that. Or don't buy the game. Noone will miss you.

Bottom line is this, if you are a seller here, you're making money to play a damn video game. Get over yourselves.

There are people in the world that work 16 hours in a factory for $2 a week (not exaggerating) so that you can get cheap tshirts from walmart.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Your first fact wrong is that weapons and armor sell for $1.00 flat rate fee and only if sold.. Any other STACKABLE item is charged 15% fee on the RMAH and that everything sells at a price.

Even if you got that right.. you failed at the entire topic of this post.. These fee's do NOT discourage outside sales whatsoever, and that was the whole point of this system, and I also think you should go view the youtube panels, where the VIP of online tech, is constantly stating the entire point of the auction house is to COMBAT outside selling and to keep prices chargead from BLIZZARD as low as possible..

30% is not as low as possible.. its nowhere even near a LOW statement.. 15% would be TOP debatable. and that would not be LOW.

30% is LUDICROUS

It's not 30% it's 27.75% for stackables (1 - 1 * .15 = .85, .85 - .85 * .15 = 0.7225, 1 - 0.7225 = .2775 or 27.75%)

For equipment it could be more or less then that percent depending on the price.

It discourages it because it will be easier and less risky then ebay or an asian sweat shop.  Also not few are willing to risk being ban to ebay thier stuff, while far more will be willing to buy and sell if it's legal.

And it's still better then GW2 cash shop.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

30% is LUDICROUS

How much does apple get when you sell an app in their appstore?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Not true, but way to jump to conclusions!

You won't have to as you won't build your RMAH balance above $15 with that attitude.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

IMO you must really hate your day job (or don't have one?) if you are going to try and make money off of D3.  It certainly is NOT the project entropia investments we have seen.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

So, about the 15% thing. If you want to make $10 from an item for some reason, post it for $11.50. Boom.

Another problem solved with basic math.

The 15% on an item transaction is absorbed by the buyer. The 15% on the withdrawal is absorbed by the seller.

It's simple. In a cash shop there is no seller. The company makes all the money. This way Blizzard is ensuring that they can make money off their "cash shop" and they want to make money off the sellers as well.

Either way, if you are a seller, it's not likethey are charging you money out of your pocket. You are making money off a freaking video game for crying out loud. It's 100% profit for you.

First world freaking problems much?

Also your assumption that the gold cap = the real money cap is just silly. You have nothing to base that on and it's going to be completely incorrect.

So just so you know, If you wanted to make $10 and some one is taking 15% you would have to sell the item for $11.77. Simple math is not so simple.

Seriously though, 30% as OP stated which everyone seems to be ignoring is a hefty sum and the supposive reason for this is to get rid of gold farmer. This will not stop farmers, it will make them look like more of a value. If I sell an item for what would be 10 dollars profit at 30% being taken away, I would have to sell the item for $14.29. If a professional farmer wants to sell this item he will sell it for 10 dollars. Do you want to pay the extra $4.29 bucks to buy it from me? or save the $4.29? I think you just answered your own question!

Just so no one gets lost: 11.5 * 0.15 = 1.725

11.5 - 1.725 =9.775

9.775 =/= 10

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85

i think my favorite part of this post is when he said

because every person in there right mind knows that 1 person will set the tone for the value of 250$ meaning if i feel that 1,000,000 is 250 dollars and everyone agress well then guess what that is the curve and it will be over and under cut its all about finding the sweet spot if u CHOOSE to farm or sell more that is your doing on placing such low value on your gold. but rest assure that it will be based on the rate in which asians farm that ish.

as for the 15% sell and cash out for a whoopin 30% sorta well that is business there giving u a free game to make money off of and ur complaining about how much u can make ....honestly do i need to say anything else.

not proof reading sorry for sp.

@killsmall

I'm not going to buy from gold farmer sites ever. Period. So yeah it doesn't matter what people are selling for.

Yeah my math was off, but so is yours. A another poster pointed out it not 30%, it's 27.75.

The point of my post was about passing the transaction fee on to the buyer. I doubt you will be able to pass the withdrawal fee on them too. If you read my post you would know that.

The point is that the buyer should eat the transaction fee. If sellers are smart the market will allow for this.

And of course this doesn't apply to items such as weapons and armor as those are a flat $1 fee.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. We are talking about getting paid for virtual items in a damn video game. If I can make a few extra bucks doing something I do for entertainment then it doesn't matter if they take a cut. It's a freaking game. Get over it.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by Killsmallchi

So, about the 15% thing. If you want to make $10 from an item for some reason, post it for $11.50. Boom.

Another problem solved with basic math.

The 15% on an item transaction is absorbed by the buyer. The 15% on the withdrawal is absorbed by the seller.

It's simple. In a cash shop there is no seller. The company makes all the money. This way Blizzard is ensuring that they can make money off their "cash shop" and they want to make money off the sellers as well.

Either way, if you are a seller, it's not likethey are charging you money out of your pocket. You are making money off a freaking video game for crying out loud. It's 100% profit for you.

First world freaking problems much?

Also your assumption that the gold cap = the real money cap is just silly. You have nothing to base that on and it's going to be completely incorrect.

So just so you know, If you wanted to make $10 and some one is taking 15% you would have to sell the item for $11.77. Simple math is not so simple.

Seriously though, 30% as OP stated which everyone seems to be ignoring is a hefty sum and the supposive reason for this is to get rid of gold farmer. This will not stop farmers, it will make them look like more of a value. If I sell an item for what would be 10 dollars profit at 30% being taken away, I would have to sell the item for $14.29. If a professional farmer wants to sell this item he will sell it for 10 dollars. Do you want to pay the extra $4.29 bucks to buy it from me? or save the $4.29? I think you just answered your own question!

Just so no one gets lost: 11.5 * 0.15 = 1.725

11.5 - 1.725 =9.775

9.775 =/= 10

It's 27.75% not 30%

14.29 * 0.85 * 0.85 = 10.325

13.84 * 0.85 * 0.85 = 10

Also anything > 0

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.