Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is Tab Targeting, not Aim based like a TPS/FPS

167891012»

Comments

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by colddog04

Originally posted by just1opinion

I played the entire BWE simply LOOKING at targets to target them.  I did not tab target, that's for sure.  You simply direct your gaze at a target and fire away.

If you did not PLAY the game during the BWE.....you do not know what you're talking about.  You can experience it to KNOW.  So keep on babbling on and you keep on sounding like an ill-informed school child trying to prove a point.

I'm not going to pretend you don't understand this, but...

Lets say there are 2 players standing next to each other in front of you. One of them has half health and one of them has full health. They are both wearing cloth.

Now, without targeting them with tab, how do you, as a PvP player, choose the one with half health without tab targeting?

In that situation, I might actually left click the chosen target, but I'm TELLING YOU....all you have to do is face the target directly and swing your sword or fire your spell.  I don't see where I'm being unclear and it seems there have been plenty of other people that said they did the same, so....did you even PLAY the beta weekend event?  I guess not since this seems confusing somehow.  Once you try it, you'll get what I'm saying.

Maybe my saying THIS will make more sense....you CAN tab target, you can click target, or you can just look at what you want to hit to target.  It's not very restrictive.  You can even move around and don't get locked when you cast a spell or use any combat attacks, unlike some other recently popular games.

I should have emphasized from range. I know you can swing your melee around and hit both at the same time. But certainly from range you need to choose a target if you want to choose to focus one over the other. 

but that is what we are saying. melee dont need tab anything .for ranged is more hard, tab target or select a enemy with righ click mouse  and this if you dont use a ground target skill, if you use obvious you dont need select anything.

still dont get the point if we can tab/click/aim etc, isnt this that make GW2 combat so diferent than WoW and so fun.

tab target even if  was an obligation in this game (and it isnt) the combat still have nothing to do with WoW and still was a clear action game.

GW2 and Tera are both action game WoW isnt IMO

• ammoniteammonite Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by ammonite

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Originally posted by whisperwynd

Sorry, but where does 'Action-oriented' have to equate with aim targeting.

Is it your premise to say that if a game has a tab targeting system then it can't be action-oriented? Really?

It doesn't equate, but I can imagine that when someone says "action-oriented" and they think of MMORPGs, they start thinking of aim targeting rather than GW2's style.

Keep in mind, that by putting "action-oriented" in their advertisement, they are implying that it is more action-oriented than other relevant games in the genre. So that leads to the question: in what way is GW2 more "action-oriented" than WoW? If a person hasn't read much regarding GW2, that can lead to the guess that perhaps it is using a lot of aim targeting. 

Threw the question around the office, quite a few gamers where I work. Not one person thought 'action - oriented' meant having a 'cross hairs' in the middle of the screen. They all thought it meant more movement while in combat. 

Office? So you should have said Burger King or Walmart. It would have held more creadibility to your comment! How many good gamers work in a office!? hehe 

I guess you don't work yet.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Is it your premise to say that if a game has a tab targeting system then it can't be action-oriented? Really?

It doesn't equate, but I can imagine that when someone says "action-oriented" and they think of MMORPGs, they start thinking of aim targeting rather than GW2's style.

Keep in mind, that by putting "action-oriented" in their advertisement, they are implying that it is more action-oriented than other relevant games in the genre. So that leads to the question: in what way is GW2 more "action-oriented" than WoW? If a person hasn't read much regarding GW2, that can lead to the guess that perhaps it is using a lot of aim targeting. 

Threw the question around the office, quite a few gamers where I work. Not one person thought 'action - oriented' meant having a 'cross hairs' in the middle of the screen. They all thought it meant more movement while in combat. 

Office? So you should have said Burger King or Walmart. It would have held more creadibility to your comment! How many good gamers work in a office!? hehe 

Nope. I'm retired. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771

Military retirment! Lucky you!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!

Originally posted by StoneRoses

Military retirment! Lucky you!

Hey! I was hiding the secret, now everyone is going to want to join! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

EDIT: Rant removed.  Try not to pigeonhole skippy. You'd be wrong.

Originally posted by terrant

EDIT: Rant removed.  Try not to pigeonhole skippy. You'd be wrong.

Harmless joke! Thus the hehe at the end. Here is a smiley to cheer you up. :)

Edit: PS Thank you for calling me Skippy, I haven't been called that in nearly 50 years!

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

This cat is doing nothing but to try to discredit anything about this game.

The so called unhappy Beta player that he is.

Who in the world said I was unhappy with beta, and that I didn't like the game. Show me this, and I will shut up.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Edit: PS Thank you for calling me Skippy, I haven't been called that in nearly 50 years!

lol sorry, it's Monday. And glad to amuse.

Also, MMOExposed....dude, you've created about 50 skillion threads that I've seeen, all something along the lines of "Here's why GW2 isn't as cool as you think!" you either have a hard on against the game or youre a complete troll. Not to say you don't occasionally bring up good points, but you do show a bit of bias...

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

Also, MMOExposed....dude, you've created about 50 skillion threads that I've seeen, all something along the lines of "Here's why GW2 isn't as cool as you think!" you either have a hard on against the game or youre a complete troll. Not to say you don't occasionally bring up good points, but you do show a bit of bias...

I think the word you are going for is Passive-aggresive.  Like this thread. It is established that gw2 is a hybrid tab targetting system. But the thread name and first post implies that the combat is only tab targeting, like WoW. A new person sees the name of the thread, doesnt want to read 20 + pages, and just assumes that this game is like WoW with the combat.  Easy way to spread mis-information, when called on it, just say "oh, you mis-understood, I really like this game, I just dont want people getting the wrong idea". 

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by MMOExposed

This cat is doing nothing but to try to discredit anything about this game.

The so called unhappy Beta player that he is.

Who in the world said I was unhappy with beta, and that I didn't like the game. Show me this, and I will shut up.

why keep create topics with false information? as people mencioned the game use a hybrid system and if you only play as melee you will not need tab target or click in any mob, if you play beta you know that.

everything you create is to say something bad about game, show me topic you create saying good things about GW2 and i will shut up...

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Skarecrow7

I think the word you are going for is Passive-aggresive.  Like this thread. It is established that gw2 is a hybrid tab targetting system. But the thread name and first post implies that the combat is only tab targeting, like WoW. A new person sees the name of the thread, doesnt want to read 20 + pages, and just assumes that this game is like WoW with the combat.  Easy way to spread mis-information, when called on it, just say "oh, you mis-understood, I really like this game, I just dont want people getting the wrong idea". 

Thank you!!!!

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by RizelStar

Thank you!!!!

maybe that's mmoexposed hidden agenda..tarnish the ip and its game mechanics.

he should rename his name to mmofraud, cuz that's all hes been doing.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by ictown

His agenda isn't really that big of a secret. He's already been banned from these forums before on other accounts. He's basically just a huge troll.

Crappy thing is, there's a limit to what we can do, so it's really up to the moderators to handle that guy.

• Veeshan22Veeshan22 Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by ictown

Originally posted by RizelStar

Thank you!!!!

I know right wish they would ban him again already

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I played the entire BWE simply LOOKING at targets to target them.  I did not tab target, that's for sure.  You simply direct your gaze at a target and fire away.

If you did not PLAY the game during the BWE.....you do not know what you're talking about.  You can experience it to KNOW.  So keep on babbling on and you keep on sounding like an ill-informed school child trying to prove a point.

I'm not going to pretend you don't understand this, but...

Lets say there are 2 players standing next to each other in front of you. One of them has half health and one of them has full health. They are both wearing cloth.

Now, without targeting them with tab, how do you, as a PvP player, choose the one with half health without tab targeting?

In that situation, I might actually left click the chosen target, but I'm TELLING YOU....all you have to do is face the target directly and swing your sword or fire your spell.  I don't see where I'm being unclear and it seems there have been plenty of other people that said they did the same, so....did you even PLAY the beta weekend event?  I guess not since this seems confusing somehow.  Once you try it, you'll get what I'm saying.

Maybe my saying THIS will make more sense....you CAN tab target, you can click target, or you can just look at what you want to hit to target.  It's not very restrictive.  You can even move around and don't get locked when you cast a spell or use any combat attacks, unlike some other recently popular games.

1opinion, you don't have to target in that situation as well... I'm refering to the question colddog asked. You scroll your camera so it's somewhat centering the one with the half health and it'll hit that target... IF the one with full hp is standing in front of the guy with half hp, then whatever you do (even if you tab) you'll hit the one with full hp, so you'll kinda have to move... (the thing with standing in front of them, was just an example which I tought would explain the best to colddog04) :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Originally posted by adam_nox

lol this conversation just got interesting, why would gw1 ever need hitboxes?  I played gw1 back when it first came out, and I don't remember aiming at anything in that game.

It's used for collision detection in GW1.