Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR subs dip from 1.7 Million to 1.3

Comments

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

EA's numbers include the people on free accounts. Very dodgy numbers, it's a massive overestimate, the true subs number as of May is 400k.

The market isn't falling for it, EA's stock is still dropping like a brick. Looks like SWTOR's death is dragging EA down with it.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/why-have-investors-soured-on-ea.html/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/05/electronic-arts-mass-effect-star-wars-depresses-fourth-quarter.html

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/18167454/ea-earnings-in-line-but-star-wars-subscribers-fall

I need to change my sig now. It's a shame, I quite liked that picture.

• Blackwater56Blackwater56 Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by Precusor

If i recall correctly.. they didn't give everyone a free month and how do you know they added the free month subs into their numbers?

proof plx

Dude, give me a fucking break. You think EA just HAPPENS to give all legacy levels 6s a free month only a few days before their report out of the kindness of their heart?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Greyhooff

EA's numbers include the people on free accounts. Very dodgy numbers, it's a massive overestimate, the true subs number as of May is 400k.

The market isn't falling for it, EA's stock is still dropping like a brick. Looks like SWTOR's death is dragging EA down with it.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/why-have-investors-soured-on-ea.html/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/05/electronic-arts-mass-effect-star-wars-depresses-fourth-quarter.html

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/18167454/ea-earnings-in-line-but-star-wars-subscribers-fall

I need to change my sig now. It's a shame, I quite liked that picture.

I couldn't care less whether TOR has 200 million subs or 0. But where are you coming up with your number from?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Blackwater56

If i recall correctly.. they didn't give everyone a free month and how do you know they added the free month subs into their numbers?

proof plx

Dude, give me a fucking break. You think EA just HAPPENS to give all legacy levels 6s a free month only a few days before their report out of the kindness of their heart?

IF it was only a few days what difference would it make? Most of those accounts would still be active anyway.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

proof plx

In other words.. your wrong.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Personally, 1.3 million as of March 31 is still pretty good

Uh, no. Not when you sold 2.3 million copies total

So SWTOR lost 1 million subs AND STILL hasn't merged server.

That's all that can be said about the business mantality of EA. 

And yes, the free month was included. The report was from the end of April

What 1.3 million isn't a decent sub base? What?

proof plx

In other words.. your wrong.

First of all: "You're" 

Secondly, the report was from the end of April, after the free month was given. But I'm sure EA excluded those numbers because they just LOVE to make themselves look worse off than they are.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Distopia

proof plx

IF it was only a few days what difference would it make? Most of those accounts would still be active anyway.

Besides the free month was given out in april, the quarter ended march 31, and the stats given in the article specifically cite as of 3/31.

THEY LOST

ONE MILLION

SUBSCRIBERS

In 5 months.

WoW, with 13 million subs, lost 1 million IN ONE YEAR

SWTOR has taken a MASSIVE hit.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Besides the free month was given out in april, the quarter ended march 31, and the stats given in the article specifically cite as of 3/31.

Did you even read the report?

THEY LOST

ONE MILLION

SUBSCRIBERS

In 5 months.

Massive hit sure, but that's the norm, people could say that about just about every MMO since 05. But 1.3 mil is something many sub based games wish they had, many never even reach a million in sales.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Because for example that 1.3 goes down to say 1 mill, and then so on.

That's good for money but that's even if 1.3 are literally playing still, and some bought 6 month cards or something.

Though IMO number wise that's good but [direction] wise it isn't.

If it's like steady 1.3 from here on out then that should be good.

Least that's what is happening so far. 

That and 2.3 to 1.3 in 3 months is quite a lost. Even 2.0 to 1.3 because that means they going down not up. :/

I swear to God I heard the same thing when it was reported they had 1.7

Then if they go down to say 800k it'll be good, then to 500k I assume it'll be good, then400k I think that's good lol, if correct that's how all MMOs except one has been doing. [Themepark]

I saw a lot comments where people stated "15 dollars is just too much and all these other games are coming out." Makes me wonder because a lot of people may like SWTOR but that may not be the only thing they like to play.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229
    1.3 mil is a substantial number but the important thing to look at here is it is a decline in income.

I don't think people understand that as investment this game is a failure. Producing a product that doesnt grow is a huge , huge blow to bio ware.

As a small time investor , I can tell you personally , even with small return conservative investments , this game is on its way to a closed game or a f2p model.

400,000 thousand subscribers lost wothin a year is not a good indication of success. Let alone, the first several months. The return on investment is already a loss.

Anyways, personally, they should have just made this a co-op single player game.

Star wars fans want a universe not a contained limited environment.

The core issue with games these days is developers are creating what the think people want. All the while, failing to realize that people are not interested in a 8 year old model of gaming . Sad really , so many games coming out , and that have come out all dropping to the wayside.

The gaming community is craving a change from pizza, yet developers just keep making pizza.

THEY LOST

ONE MILLION

SUBSCRIBERS

In 5 months.

Massive hit sure, but that's the norm, people could say that about just about every MMO since 05. But 1.3 mil is something many sub based games wish they had, many never even reach a million in sales.

Considering EA said anything under 1 million subs isn't very profitable, I would say no one is envious of SWTOR right now.

Expect heads to roll once this free month is over 

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by Aerowyn

as of march 31st according to that... I'm sure currently its much lower especially with TERA now out and TSW coming soon and of course I feel GW2 will be the nail... although many argue GW2's B2P model won't effect swtor I feel if a MMO is far superior to another and is B2P why would you continue playing one they have to pay for monthly.. 

Because GW2 will not have updates and the way gamers are the blow through the content and will be bored in less than a month like every other game watch and see I call that now!!!

I can't wait to see this forum hate on GW2 and say I told you so, people on this forum love to hate on every game that comesout and hype then hate... Jump on the band wagon, a bunch of followers on this forums no leader followers... Makes me laugh every time I read these forums how many people copy one another , for every single game that come out..

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

sure did.

sure did.

Well you missed this part:

"Through the end of the quarter, approximately 2.4 million units have sold through.  In our last 

call we indicated that we had 1.7 million active subscribers, and as of the end of April we now 

have 1.3 million"

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

It's a bit of a frenzy right now following the annoucement and the continuing drop in EA's share price.

As I said before, don't expect any more content for SWTOR, they're "reassigning" some of the team and firing the rest, the game is going the same way as Warhammer Online:

SWTOR = "maintenance mode" from here on.

Just for your amusement, you can see what's going on with the official forums, quite an interesting story in itself:

Bioware/EA viral marketing department is in panic mode.

Check out the sheer number of EA paid shills on this thread in the SWTOR official forum. It is mind-boggling.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=447469&page=19

They banned all the constructive critics and anyone who said anything negative, now their threads are just pages of shills discussing back and forth with fanboys, backed up by their corrupt fascist moderators who are "editing" threads to make them look better, all desperately trying to make the game look as if it's not completely dead already.

Their new story: it was the bad community that killed SWTOR.

That's right, they're blaming the players for SWTOR's problems, in order to deflect the blame from their **** devs who made a **** game!

Nice spin, blame the community that tried to fix the game by providing feedback and solutions - and got banned for it, and don't blame the terrible clueless lead developers who destroyed the game with terrible decisions, 1.2 class balance, no merges because "it would look bad" etc etc etc.

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Originally posted by Aerowyn

as of march 31st according to that... I'm sure currently its much lower especially with TERA now out and TSW coming soon and of course I feel GW2 will be the nail... although many argue GW2's B2P model won't effect swtor I feel if a MMO is far superior to another and is B2P why would you continue playing one they have to pay for monthly.. 

Because GW2 will not have updates and the way gamers are the blow through the content and will be bored in less than a month like every other game watch and see I call that now!!!

I can't wait to see this forum hate on GW2 and say I told you so, people on this forum love to hate on every game that comesout and hype then hate... Jump on the band wagon, a bunch of followers on this forums no leader followers... Makes me laugh every time I read these forums how many people copy one another , for every single game that come out..

Don't put yourself in misery by misinformation. 

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Don't forget, they plan on hitting the Asian market, so the numbers game can change in an instant.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Don't forget, they plan on hitting the Asian market, so the numbers game can change in an instant.

Ah that is true when are they going to do that?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Mardukk

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by Mardukk

I don't care what the numbers say.  Log into the game, the servers are dead.  Look at the populations on the planets, down at least 50% since launch. 

If their numbers are correct there are a lot of people paying a sub and never logging in.

Happens in all MMOs.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2986509135

Agreed, but it's too early in the game for such a decline.  Yes, even new games will have fluctuations, but they should end up with a net gain at this stage of the cycle.  You'd expect that kind of decline well into the second year of a game.  The anecdotal evidence of lower numbers when people log in can be misleading on many levels and due to different factors, but Mardukk is obvioiusly using hyperbole when he states a 50% decline when he has absolutely no concrete proof.  In fact, If I were to go with his kind of data gathering, when I logged in a couple of weeks ago and started a baby bounty hunter, the instance never had less than 17 people.  That may not seem like much, but when I logged in and started my first toon, an agent, that was the exact number of people in the instance back on release week.  So, you can see that because it's an instanced game and because one faction is more populated than another and depending on the server you are on and at what time of day and which day of the week.....etc, you can come up with all kinds of conclusions that would be absolutely wrong in the greater picture.

Lol yes, everyone is in an instance or has switched factions that's it!  My concrete proof are my eyes looking at the number as I've logged in every night since launch...

And you see this every single minute of the day, every day of the week and every week of the month, on all servers at all times.....blah....blah....blah....you sir are pulling numbers out of thin air.  I don't doubt from the reports that the game is declining, but I'll take their numbers over yours anyday.

Originally posted by RizelStar

Because for example that 1.3 goes down to say 1 mill, and then so on.

That's good for money but that's even if 1.3 are literally playing still, and some bought 6 month cards or something.

Though IMO number wise that's good but [direction] wise it isn't.

If it's like steady 1.3 from here on out then that should be good.

Least that's what is happening so far. 

That and 2.3 to 1.3 in 3 months is quite a lost. Even 2.0 to 1.3 because that means they going down not up. :/

What MMO since WOW hasn't lost a number of subs within the first few months? It's a well known trend that many more will buy an MMO these days than those who actually stick around. AS for 6 month subs, those numbers are neither here nor there, we don't know them.

Where they stop bleeding who knows, but I'm sorry 1.3 mil however you slice it is a decent number for those still around. I liked the game and I could barely make it past january.

Multiplying 1 mil by 15 a month, for 3 months is 45,000,000 and they have had more subs than that, that's not even including 2mil units sold at varying prices starting at $60. That's a crap ton of money in the first few months. For the health of the service that's pretty darn good.

THEY LOST

ONE MILLION

SUBSCRIBERS

In 5 months.

Considering EA said anything under 1 million subs isn't very profitable, I would say no one is envious of SWTOR right now.

Expect heads to roll once this free month is over 

WHat they said was they can maintain with 500k, you never answered my question from before though. How does this free month effect those numbers if the report is from just a few days later? Most accounts would most likely still be active regardless.