Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 race is between GW2, TSW and Tera

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Not realy why anybody in his right mind wanne play limited simplistic games over the dynamic free2play original beautiful game called GW2 there is no competion its unfair for TERA and TSW they already lost.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Originally posted by Otomox
    All 3 are actually good but  i prefer TERA over TSW and GW 2. TSW has the problem its from funcom and since the aoc launch days i dont trust them anymore. GW2 has the problem atm that it looks like that endgame has to few rewards and i fear they might fail if it so because they are aiming for the wow players. Thats what most current wow guilds are talking about and i dont wanna play again with the wow community.

It even have no endgame witch is why GW2 is so good, plus fact that its B2P that always wins over P2P

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by Classicstar

All 3 are actually good but  i prefer TERA over TSW and GW 2. TSW has the problem its from funcom and since the aoc launch days i dont trust them anymore. GW2 has the problem atm that it looks like that endgame has to few rewards and i fear they might fail if it so because they are aiming for the wow players. Thats what most current wow guilds are talking about and i dont wanna play again with the wow community.

It even have no endgame witch is why GW2 is so good, plus fact that its B2P that always wins over P2P

It having no endgame means I already mastered most of combat by level 8 and have little to nothing to look forward too except for lackluster utility skills. The 'living quests' is BS. They made the quest journal your map and the quest tracker only shows up when you are in the area to get updates. they just shuffled around typical WoW questing and threw in some WAR/Rift PQ's.

TSW combat is pitiful. Their puzzle quests are a nice change but nothing to make up for the rest of its short comings. the whole 'no levels' thing is complete BS as well soon as you figure out equipment has 'skill requirements' to wield which is just another term for 'level requirement.' People who like story can just go to GW2 or even SWTOR and get a better experience unless they prefer the TSW story setting or hate the others.

TERA took all the basics of MMO's, made them work fine, then blew every other MMO out of the water when it came to combat. Hotbar combat and target locking is now a 'non-starter' to me when it comes to MMO's i'm so spoiled, which leaves me an extremely small pool to choose from.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by Beiloch

It having no endgame means I already mastered most of combat by level 8 and have little to nothing to look forward too except for lackluster utility skills. The 'living quests' is BS. They made the quest journal your map and the quest tracker only shows up when you are in the area to get updates. they just shuffled around typical WoW questing and threw in some WAR/Rift PQ's.

TSW combat is pitiful. Their puzzle quests are a nice change but nothing to make up for the rest of its short comings. the whole 'no levels' thing is complete BS as well soon as you figure out equipment has 'skill requirements' to wield which is just another term for 'level requirement.' People who like story can just go to GW2 or even SWTOR and get a better experience unless they prefer the TSW story setting or hate the others.

TERA took all the basics of MMO's, made them work fine, then blew every other MMO out of the water when it came to combat. Hotbar combat and target locking is now a 'non-starter' to me when it comes to MMO's i'm so spoiled, which leaves me an extremely small pool to choose from.

Do you hate all MMOs?  If so why are you frequenting this forum?

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by catplay

Originally posted by Apraxis

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Valua

Yes, the race for second place will be between GW2, TSW and Tera.

Mists of Pandaria will claim first place without any problem at all, none will come even close to the amount WoW sells.

Yeh .. this.

CATA sells what? 3.5M copies in the first month. Can any of these games hit 3M in a month?

To be honest. I wouldnt surprised if GW2 already did. I dont know any numbers, but how many prepurchases did GW2 already sold?

But, it isnt relevant anyway. For me a game is a success if it has a running community without a lot of server merger. And that could be with just 200k subs, hell, even 50k subs or any other number. As long as the developer gets their money back, and has some money for further developing everything is alright.

If you want number, well, than Farmville is the winner. over 60 million subs.. could WoW ever reach that? ;)

And about the 3 games, it is all about preferences, i hope all of them do well. Because all of them look to some extent different enough to be worthwhile. I hate WoW clones. And the time of wow clones should really end rather now than tomorrow.

Wait for NCSoft conference call and see how well is doing GW2, dont speculate.. GW1 barely can feed anything, without NCSoft money Arenanet was a dead company long time ago.

And GW2 does not gave place in this monthly fee games class.. how many you think will pay to play GW2 per month? If it was, we could have a clear state of the game, but like that..

Actually the money GW1 makes years after its last expansion is enough to cover the server costs of all of ncsofts games. Though you are right, Arenanet did need ncsofts funding. Of course that was before Arenanet actually had a product to make money on.

Also for a game that you claim cant compete vs. sub games, it sure has already cost alot of mmo's at least a few subs already.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

I'll admit, the quests are transparent but for some reason it was fun to me. I really liked WAR's PQs though, so, I guess that's just what I enjoy.

Haven't played yet, but I'm mostly interested in TSW for the setting. 

I've played a little of TERA in the headstart and just can't get into it. I'll admit the combat is fun, the mobs are interesting, the world looks great, but I just can't stand the armor styles...I'm not one who is offended by it but I just don't enjoy it...I dunno, I'll still give it a go.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Its funny when people hear no endgame no gear to collect(t1-t2-t3-t4-t5-t6 ext)they assume its boring lovely how new generation think of game.

Wanne grind gear and game hold there hands other wise there lost not to mention the challenge when at lvl1 there contsantly killed they scream fail becouse they can't stnd still(boring WoW)and kicks mobs ass:P

But GW2 is for those who don't keep stuck in the EQ/WoW but embrase the new messiah and savior GW2 that dare to be different:)

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Originally posted by Jakard

Diablo 3

HeHe-nice try! Good looking game, but not an MMO.  Of the three, I'll take GW2. Innovative, beautiful to be in, great graphics and combat allowing you to move and shoot(or cast a spell)

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

That's a dumb argument.  By that argument Forsaken World which is free to play is a better play than Guild Wars 2.

Let it be said whether a game costs $120 a year or $60 single purchase it has nothing to do with whether the spoiled 16-35 gaming demographic plays a game.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Having played both GW2 and Tera, unless TSW amazes me, I'm still obligated to say this is a race to see who comes in an extremely distant second place to Mists of Pandaria.  It sucks to say that.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

I don't care which game will take a winner title in this "war", I choose GW2 as my own winner. Didn't tried TSW, so really can't give opinion on game, played TERA all beta events, but will keep comments about game for myself. I'll dare to ask - why is Aion still top no. 1 MMO in Korea?

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Having played both GW2 and Tera, unless TSW amazes me, I'm still obligated to say this is a race to see who comes in an extremely distant second place to Mists of Pandaria.  It sucks to say that.

This is a rookie race so WoW is disqualified from entering.

Tera to me only has graphics and combat as appeal to me. The combat not even being that great in my opinion. 

TSW is done by Funcom and I simply have no faith in them at all.

GW2 on the other hand brings back teamplay a good atmosphere and a ton of other things I like about it. 

• Sata123Sata123 Member Posts: 34

TSW : Promising and innovative skill system and character development but im sceptical about the theme and story of the game.

TERA : Well spend money.Great and fun game.We will see how long it will be last for me.

GW2 : I can't afford the cheap looking character graphics and animations and the combat, at least in beta.I will give it another try on release.

• lellyvillelellyville Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by altas

I don't care which game will take a winner title in this "war", I choose GW2 as my own winner. Didn't tried TSW, so really can't give opinion on game, played TERA all beta events, but will keep comments about game for myself. I'll dare to ask - why is Aion still top no. 1 MMO in Korea?

That is what i've been trying to say. Jesus, Tera failed in every country it was made available. Also Tera is NOT A NEW GAME. IT IS 1 years old. Stop saying "refershing" "new" "best combat ever". The fact is all of them are false. Combat is not new, there are other mmos out before Tera that offered similar combat. If Tera failed to lived the expectation to millions of asians, what chance does it have with the Americans? Wait i know the answers, Americans are superior than asians right?

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by Nethriil

@ banisco - thats just like wow

MMOExsposed?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I found Tera to be very underwhelming. TSW looks very interesting, but, you know, Funcom, so we have to be wary. GW2 is my obvious choice after having played it.

As far as actual sales go, I think we can all be confident that the WoW expansion will outsell everything this year. I expect GW2 will run in second place due to all the player and community buzz about it. Tons of people will buy it to see what everyone is talking about; it happens all the time.

Tera won't sell well, I don't think. The visuals don't appeal to a large segment of the western gaming population, and so that will hurt it. The shooter-feeling combat won't appeal to a large group of RPG and MMO fans as well. There is a large group of people who will love this game, but it won't reach a massive market.

TSW is a wild card. I don't know how it's going to do, but there are many people who will avoid it just because, you know, Funcom. There are also people who don't like the revolting engine in which you can't even rebind keys properly, or do any number of things, though it is relatively stable now. There are also people who won't like the skill setup instead of traditional levels. Again, there is a market of people for whom this game is perfect, but I don't think it's going to be all that big, despite the massive hype machine behind it.

But this is very good, all things considered. You have WoW still providing what a large group of people want, and you have three ambitious games with different takes on advancing the genre. This means regardless of which games wins the sales race, many more people are going to have a game that more closely matches their vision for an MMO should be. 

Some healthy competition is a good thing, and these companies are finally pushing AAA-level budgets for games with some new ideas. It does breed the occasional angry troll or raging fan, but the companies talking about why they are different from the old guard and one another makes for a more informed gaming public and interesting, healthy debates about the merits of the different systems in place and how they mesh in each game. We should all rejoice at finally having some decent options after nearly a decade of stagnation. At the risk of being extraordinarily cliche, we are the real winners this year.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

OP i agree with u but tera will mostly fail soon, so i htink the race is up to GW2 and TSW.....

Go! GW2 !!

LoL`d

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

GW2 for sure.. Tera with all its skimpy girls and decent combat isn't going to change the fact that its a bland Asian grinder type MMo.

imho.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

1) I dont really know anything about TSW, so I really cant say if it will stand up to GW2

2)  I am currently playing and enjoying Tera and I played in the GW2 BWE.

3)  To even think Tera is the equal of GW2 (in any/all respects) is a practice in eiter short-sightedness or wishful thinking.  There just isnt enough in Tera to keep people there for long.  Even with its combat, the rest is kind of a hollow shell of a MMO.

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

Tera's problem is the same problem almost every MMO has, it's a WOW clone with a few new features. It's made worse that all of the features copied from WOW have been done very poorly. You're constantly running back and forth for the kill/collect/courier quests through giant and mostly empty terrain with monsters standing about waiting for you to give them your hugs. Quests can send you back to the same place you've been, to kill/collect things that you were already killing or collecting but did not count because you did not have the quest. As you play you don't think, "this is fun, I can't wait to see what I'll get to do next!" You think, "I need to figure out the most efficent way through these quests so I can get past this area." No amount of action combat will save the game. Vindictus has actual action combat (which was implemented by people that think Streets of Rage is the height of 3rd person fighters) and people only play that because it's free.

The Secret World is at least not a WOW clone, unfortunately it's made by Funcom so it's going to be a horrible scar upon humanity that will go F2P in about a year.

Guild Wars 2 is not a WOW clone either, and the developers last game is succesfull, but is not an MMO (It's a Co-Op RPG). It has  quite a few new features that we've not seen in MMOs; dynamic events (these are not like rifts from Rift or public quests from WAR), good action combat, wanting to see other players, characters that don't look like microwaved action figures, etc.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    For me the race is over and gw2 won.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Badaboom

For me the race is over and gw2 won.

...while it's still chilling back at the club.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Maephisto

1) I dont really know anything about TSW, so I really cant say if it will stand up to GW2

3)  To even think Tera is the equal of GW2 (in any/all respects) is a practice in eiter short-sightedness or wishful thinking.  There just isnt enough in Tera to keep people there for long.  Even with its combat, the rest is kind of a hollow shell of a MMO.

Good points.

Just curious, but what's the current population in TERA look like? I didn't get the impression they even have many servers atm. It's hard to tell how many people are playing it as a filler game, and how many honestly believe this game is going to be the next big thing.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Maephisto

Good points.

Just curious, but what's the current population in TERA look like? I didn't get the impression they even have many servers atm. It's hard to tell how many people are playing it as a filler game, and how many honestly believe this game is going to be the next big thing.

Server population is pretty good on my server.  Im on Valley of Titans, im sure the PVE servers are even more populated ATM.