Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Dead MMOs with Potential

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Tabula Rasa for sure.

I still haven't seen a better enemy NPC AI than this game had.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by wormywyrm

Dragon Empires....  The game that if finished would have changed the entire genre.

How I wished that game would have been completed.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290

Originally posted by JT_FentoN

Where's Earth & Beyond??? D:

Ah Earth and Beyond. I fondly remember that one. I also miss SWG Pre-CU

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

+1 for CHRONICLES OF SPELLBORN. THAT GAME HAD SWAG!!!!! dripped with ambience and vibe. omfg

fuuuuking loved that game. even in its unfinished state.

simply wonderful art, intriguing story. the House system for pvp had sooo much potential.  BEST COMBAT EVER.... better than GW2, better than TERA. nope those arent revolutionary at all... Spellborn did it first - and did it well. the classes were very interesting and challenging to master. character creation was a little shallow; personally would have loved more races and such.

i played and i eagerly supported with my cash. i played until the day they closed the servers. i sat there kicking and screaming about what could have been.  i could not force myself to uninstall and the game sat on my harddrive for months.

yep, once i win the lottery i will resurrect this title!!!

TO THE VISIONARIES AND DESIGNERS AND DEVELOPERS OF CHRONICLES OF SPELLBORN --- I SALUTE YOU !!!!

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I was waiting to try The Agency, was sad when it got cancelled.

To this day I still wish Tabula Rasa had made it :/  I thought it had huge potential.

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

1. Earth & Beyond.

2. Auto Assault.

3. Motor City Online.

4. Tabula Rasa

5. Chronicles of Spellborn.

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Dominus surprised me.

• HDwarehelpHDwarehelp Member Posts: 9

DOMINUS isn't even out yet,how can you call it dead already?

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

Asheron's Call 2 would probably be the most succesful.   This was the game that WoW borrowed from most.  They took everything AC2 did and took the next progression in simplifying and streamlining complicated MMORPG's.   Plus this game's combat and pvp are better then most newer games out today.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Originally posted by HDwarehelp

Last week the announced the end of development on the game.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Because development has ceased officially.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I don't think I'll ever stop being annoyed about Tabula Rasa. That was the first Sci-fi game that I actually enjoyed. In fairness, it did need a little more work than people seem to realize. It's easy to blame the political drama, and I'm sure that was a big part of the problem, but at the time there was already a lot of money invested in that game and it needed more. It was still light years ahead of anything out at that time, and anything that's available to play right now for that matter.

NCsoft is being a bit douchey on that front, they should stop bogarding the IP and sell it to someone who will continue developing it. All it would need is some TLC and probably a graphical update to compete in the current market, and it would be good to go.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• HDwarehelpHDwarehelp Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Last week the announced the end of development on the game.

Now i'm sad!

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 683

The Chronicles of Spellborn, Asheron's Call 2, Earth & Beyond, Seed, and Ultima X: Odyssey would top my list of games I wish had made it. If I could pick more than 5 I'd through in Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault.

Vanguard I'm actually playing with a friend and there are a good number of people playing it seems to me. It's such a huge world. They definitely need to update their quests though. Too many "Go travel for 30 minutes to kill 100 beasts because I want 5 items that are rare drops and only one person in the party can loot it. Then travel 30 minutes back to me so I can send you 30 minutes in another direction to do the same. This time kill 200 things because I really only want you to kill 5 things, but they're rare spawns so you'll need to keep killing things until they spawn."

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

COS was a game that released at the wrong time with almost none PR and it was barely playable and much to hard to get into.

Also the Art Direction was weird - a tester wrote about "Artists on Drugs" who must have made the ingame art.

It simply never had a real chance to survive.

Yeah, some MMO seem missing but its only a top 5 list and others like SWG have had enough publicity.

Earth and Beyond could have been mentioned though.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I don't think I'll ever stop being annoyed about Tabula Rasa. That was the first Sci-fi game that I actually enjoyed. In fairness, it did need a little more work than people seem to realize. It's easy to blame the political drama, and I'm sure that was a big part of the problem, but at the time there was already a lot of money invested in that game and it needed more. It was still light years ahead of anything out at that time, and anything that's available to play right now for that matter.

NCsoft is being a bit douchey on that front, they should stop bogarding the IP and sell it to someone who will continue developing it. All it would need is some TLC and probably a graphical update to compete in the current market, and it would be good to go.

Honestly, I don't even think the graphical update would be necessary,  it didn't look bad... and yes, it did have some issues, and the end game wasn't even remotely fleshed out... 

But they cut it waaaay too early...  think about it in terms of today... the game would have gone free to play, with some sort of cash shop... but instead they cut the whole project...   its one reason I dislike NCSoft... they cut projects way too quickly if they don't think they can get a quick return.... Auto Assault,  Tabula Rasa,  Dungeon Runners.. these games were actually pretty good,  they just needed a little more time in the oven.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66

Moment of silence for Tabula Rasa :C

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

1.Tabula Rasa....the dynamic invasions, the puzzle/exploration mechanic behind the magic rune thingies, the fairly unique shooter mechanics (some classes had weapon styles I've never seen any other game)

2. Auto Assault: You got XP. To run over people with cars. Seriously.

3. Spellborn: Some interesting ideas and a unique art direciton.

4. Are we sure I can't count EQ1? I know they unleash an expansion like, every two weeks, but that's just necromancy. Um...fine...Planetside.  Yes it's dead. Even if the servers are still running somewhere. Long live PS2. They screw it up and I'm coming for Sony blood.

5. Man. There's been like...97348723567324624832 MMOs that never made it out the door....ALl of em? Just as an HM? 

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Honestly, I don't even think the graphical update would be necessary,  it didn't look bad... and yes, it did have some issues, and the end game wasn't even remotely fleshed out... 

But they cut it waaaay too early...  think about it in terms of today... the game would have gone free to play, with some sort of cash shop... but instead they cut the whole project...   its one reason I dislike NCSoft... they cut projects way too quickly if they don't think they can get a quick return.... Auto Assault,  Tabula Rasa,  Dungeon Runners.. these games were actually pretty good,  they just needed a little more time in the oven.

Things were different back then. There's a word for f2p in those days: Already dead. No sense wasting development money, there were no successful f2p games in the Western market at that point. No, GW1 doesn't count. You HAD to have a sub count to be someone back then. Now.....We'd play TR now. It would be right there with games light BlackLight and Global Assault and APB.

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253
    SWG
  • NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253
    SWG
  • Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

AC2

Horizons

Gods and Heros

Auto Assault

Earth and Beyond

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by wormywyrm

Dragon Empires....  The game that if finished would have changed the entire genre.

How I wished that game would have been completed.

I think that if it were, it would have changed the direction of MMOs towards sandbox, city conquering, and meta game.  Blizzard would have been forced to include these concepts in its game as well and the entire genre would have been more sandbox friendly.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

I would have liked to have tried Tabula Rasa...From what I heard it was a pretty fun game to play......Played Chronicles of SPellborn and was not impressed.....The combat and tutorial were both gamebreaking for me.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

Of the ones mentioned, I definitely concur on Tabula Rasa and Spellborn. I had a lot of fun in both. Spellborn was almost cursed from the get-go by lack of advertising and a publisher that didn't really seem to care. So much lost potential there.

Also wish Turbine had come up with their f2p ideas earlier and saved AC2. A lot of detractors, but a lot of diehard fans out there, many who still hold out hope for a return someday. I know I'd be there with my drum-wielding tumerok.