Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you listen to in-game music or...

do you turn it off and listen something else?

I am wondering what do fellow gamers listen to, after having a chat with some friends about music in videogames. We agreed that there are some games that have epic scores but, specially in MMOs and the time one has to invest in them, even the best melodies can become tiring if one has to listen to them over and over.

Sometimes I will keep music in PvE, but when doing some PvP I will change it to something I feel more epic, depending on the game.

I normally listen to my favourite films' OSTs.

So, do you just listen to the score the game comes with? Or do you fire up your own music? When do you do it (PvP, PvE, Always)? Or do you turn all music off and play only listenging to effects, ambience sounds, voices, etc.?

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

If a game has good music I'll listen to it, otherwise I don't.

LOTRO - No... way... was I going to listen to that crap. Worst music in a major MMORPG. The. Worst.

AoC - The best... definitely enjoyed it.

Playing TERA right now and I had to shut its music off also.  REally felt that it detracted from the game more than it helped it.  Not as bad as LOTRO's but probably a close second.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

GW 2 boss fights I'm going to listen to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2jTZzEYd-Q&feature=related

I mean that's just one song.

I listen almost everysingle type of genre, pending on situation.

You'll see on my iphone though a lot of rap/hip-hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEi3kLOuzfI

I don't even digg Wiz like that either.

I listen to In-Game music first.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I like the sweet, warm and relaxing tunes of the piano while playing an MMORPG, so I chose Classical.

But vanila WoW for example had some awesome music.

I'm playing TERA right now and I agree it's really not synced with the game style. The country style guitar thing for example...wth.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I usually listen to in-game music, though I lower the volume if it isn't too good.

When GW2 comes out, since you can change the music with your own, I'm really tempted to use this as bossfight music, at least once.. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by RizelStar

I mean that's just one song.

I listen almost everysingle type of genre, pending on situation.

You'll see on my iphone though a lot of rap/hip-hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEi3kLOuzfI

I don't even digg Wiz like that either.

I listen to In-Game music first.

TGOD bro.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

For shame!

What about the option for people with eclectic musical tastes? (an all of the above option would have been good)

I just turn in game music off, lower the volume on all other sound in game, and have winamp or itunes on random.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I always listen to in game music, but sometimes I will turn it down a little if I can't hear other sounds, like npc's talking.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I listen to in game! I would get rid of that Drum and Base and put Country in there instead. It's listed like 5th in record sales. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Usually in-game music, especially when the music gives you some information about what is going on.  If the in-game music is sufficiently awful, I'll turn it off.

• Don-QuixoteDon-Quixote Member Posts: 87

Sweet.

Originally posted by Byrhofen

For shame!

What about the option for people with eclectic musical tastes? (an all of the above option would have been good)

I just turn in game music off, lower the volume on all other sound in game, and have winamp or itunes on random.

I know. I also listen to many different things but always tend to listen one genre more than other (my selection goes from Enya to In Flames). Thought about it like 5 seconds after posting the poll, sorry.

Originally posted by Amjoco

I listen to in game! I would get rid of that Drum and Base and put Country in there instead. It's listed like 5th in record sales. :)

Aye, also thought of including it but the missus saw me posting the poll and she's all about DNB, she raged at the idea of not having it in the poll. And I do not want to be sleeping on the sofa tonite ;)

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

No music at all I listen to TS/Vent and mostly run PvP raids. No time for music!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Don-Quixote

Sweet.

Originally posted by Byrhofen

For shame!

I know. I also listen to many different things but always tend to listen one genre more than other (my selection goes from Enya to In Flames). Thought about it like 5 seconds after posting the poll, sorry.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Aye, also thought of including it but the missus saw me posting the poll and she's all about DNB, she raged at the idea of not having it in the poll. And I do not want to be sleeping on the sofa tonite ;)

lmao. I wouldn't want the sofa either. :) DNB it is then.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159

I aways put in a audible book and listen to it while i play games .

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

In-game music is hugely important to me, to the point that it might be a dealbreaker - or sometimes a reason to revisit a game.

Not only do I exclusively listen to in-game music while playing an MMO, I do listen to in-game music on my music player, too. :)

What I look for in an MMO is usually not bombastic orchestral music, but good ambient music that sets the mood and won't exhaust you after a few hours of gameplay. 

Here are some MMOs that I think did a very good job in the music department, really deepening their atmosphere:

World of Warcraft - Some might find their ambient music a bit spare, but I just think it worked wonderfully. I'm especially a big fan of the ambient music Matt Uelmen did for The Burning Crusade, stuff like Shadowmoon Valley and Honor Hold tunes (Uelmen is the composer for the original Diablo, by the way).

Age of Conan - Just solid music across the board, really helps the game achieve its remarkable atmosphere. One of those games I keep a soundtrack of on my player. :)

Guild Wars - I did not play Guild Wars for long, but ah, the music was beautiful. Not surprising, as it's by Jeremy Soule.

Fallen Earth - May not be music to write home about, but a bit like in WOW, I found it really did a good job of setting the tone.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Classical - but only baroque classical.

Handel, Bach, Marcello, Albinoni, Rameau... truly wonderful melodies. I particularly love the sounds of oboe, harpsichord and harp.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I listen to the music when the game is new. After that I turn down the music and listen to the ingame sounds. 

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

I aim to keep in-game music on but for me it depends entirely on the perceived level of grind, e.g. when I'm playing in EverQuest groups it's pretty much radio rivendell streaming or my own music, usually techno/trance/chillout to keep the grind bearable.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I listen to the in game music though I rarely feel it adds anything to the game.  The original Diablo's music made for great ambiance.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I never listen to ingame music. There's ingame music that's good, but it's still nothing compared to the stuff I've hand-selected. Even GW2's music got turned off while I played.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• UniversumUniversum Member Posts: 39

I usually turn off the music, and keep the sound effects.  Then listen to various forms of metal, or the few emotional indie bands I listen to.  I had lots of great moments listening to Ayreon while playing WoW. 

Currently my favorite song is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCKv1GA3zg

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I always listen to in-game music. And if it's very bad or very good, that has a huge influence on how much I'll play the game or spend money.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Most of the time I'll listen to the in-game music unless either:

a) it royally sucks, or

b) I get into a very intense portion of the game that needs very high concentration, and the music can be distracting, especially if it's an MMO and you're in a group-vs-group fight using Teamspeak/Ventrilo with a commander issuing orders.

Where's the any key?

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

I listen to the in-game music.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

I listen to in game music and because of that music is important to me when choosing an mmo.
    World of Warcraft,Age of Conan and Eve online have great music,Eq 2 and Lotro are not bad too.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

I listen to in-game music for the first few days of the game.  If it doesn't really grab me, I blast the "Freude schoner gutterfuken, tauchter aus elysium!"

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent