Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Sounds like pvp is going to be like daoc with "points of interest" being the focus. Can't wait to hear more.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

"Paul Sage is working on his dream project. As a rabid fan of the Elder Scrolls series, Paul finally has a chance to help craft the land of Tamriel. "

If he is such a "rabid fan" of TES, then why is he helping to turn it into another crappy Themepark?

If he was really a fan, he would turn to Matt Firor and say - NO! What you are planning isnt TES. Its a rehash of DAOC/WoW/SWTOR garbage

Unless saying so will cost him his job

Paul Sage and Matt Firor - Destroyer of Worlds

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by PyrateLV

"Paul Sage is working on his dream project. As a rabid fan of the Elder Scrolls series, Paul finally has a chance to help craft the land of Tamriel. "

If he is such a "rabid fan" of TES, then why is he helping to turn it into another crappy Themepark?

If he was really a fan, he would turn to Matt Firor and say - NO! What you are planning isnt TES. Its a rehash of DAOC/WoW/SWTOR garbage

Unless saying so will cost him his job

Paul Sage and Matt Firor - Destroyer of Worlds

he was a rabid fan when he got hired no doubt

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Was interesting hearing the part about Bethesda telling them "you guys make your own game, we will do our thing you do yours." paraphrased

Not a whole lot of detail in the interview, but he does seem dedicated to the idea of making a good game before all else, hopefully that comes to fruitation. His answers were sound in regard to how do they make a different game, yet still keep that elder scrolls feeling.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

"[H]e plans to convert the Elder Scrolls that everybody knows and loves into an MMO." What a load of shit. Sorry, but I don't know or love this version of TES. Quite the opposite actually.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

yes all through that interview he said "we intend to make a linear as hell, instanced to kingdom come, quest grinder swtor style game"

/sarcasm off

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by ShakyMo

yes all through that interview he said "we intend to make a linear as hell, instanced to kingdom come, quest grinder swtor style game"

/sarcasm off

Yes because as we all know, game Devs never hide, lie, hype and exaggerate their true intentions.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

/sarcasm off

Yes because as we all know, game Devs never hide, lie, hype and exaggerate their true intentions.

So now everything he said is a lie?

• StekkyStekky Member Posts: 36

"So how do you cater to those who just want to walk around and pick flowers?"  

Paul:   "Ehh  emm  yea...  it's one of those things we're looking at...  umm"

So,   I'm guessing the crafting systems are not going to be anything like TES either.    Fantastic!

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by Distopia

/sarcasm off

No, but its just a hype interview thats all.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I like how another developer has missed the whole point of why people in today's age of MMO's actually settle down and stick to something.  I wish I could have asked him what he believed would make those players stick around when their game is very similar to all of the other games that have come out recently, enjoyed early gains, and then fell off in terms of population.  I would have asked why housing wasn't being included in the game, since that is a major trademark of TES games and that they function primarily as the player bank.  I would like to know how a bank mechanic could work in their online version of TES, considering it doesn't exist at all in the single player games.  At least not in the last two, the two that I actually played.  It seems like there would be so many great things that could help seperate TESO from the rest of the 'clones', if you will.  Player run shops would be fun.  New professions, such as wood crafting for furniture.  Plenty of people sat there for hours, going through their house and fine tuning everything.  Throwing books on shelves, trophies on walls, crafting within your home, cooking and going AFK there due to safety. 

Maybe it just makes too much sense to add something that really would "anchor" your character to the game world and make you as the player feel as though you are a part of something.  Not just a visitor, passing by, but someone who lives there and has their own personal space in the TES world. 

I won't believe for a second that it is too hard to implement such features.  Not for a single second.

Yet again, it's the same thing.  We've seen MMO after MMO try to bang their head against the wall with PvP arenas and Heroic dungeons.  They think that it's only about killing NPC's and players.  That no one is actually interested in really immersing themselves into the game world.  After all, why try something new?  Not that it's actually new...

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

/sarcasm off

You mean like any other developer? bioware, arenanet, blizzard ,etc. Ah k.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by DAS1337

I like how another developer has missed the whole point of why people in today's age of MMO's actually settle down and stick to something.  I wish I could have asked him what he believed would make those players stick around when their game is very similar to all of the other games that have come out recently, enjoyed early gains, and then fell off in terms of population.  I would have asked why housing wasn't being included in the game, since that is a major trademark of TES games and that they function primarily as the player bank.  I would like to know how a bank mechanic could work in their online version of TES, considering it doesn't exist at all in the single player games.  At least not in the last two, the two that I actually played.  It seems like there would be so many great things that could help seperate TESO from the rest of the 'clones', if you will.  Player run shops would be fun.  New professions, such as wood crafting for furniture.  Plenty of people sat there for hours, going through their house and fine tuning everything.  Throwing books on shelves, trophies on walls, crafting within your home, cooking and going AFK there due to safety. 

Maybe it just makes too much sense to add something that really would "anchor" your character to the game world and make you as the player feel as though you are a part of something.  Not just a visitor, passing by, but someone who lives there and has their own personal space in the TES world. 

I won't believe for a second that it is too hard to implement such features.  Not for a single second.

Yet again, it's the same thing.  We've seen MMO after MMO try to bang their head against the wall with PvP arenas and Heroic dungeons.  They think that it's only about killing NPC's and players.  That no one is actually interested in really immersing themselves into the game world.  After all, why try something new?  Not that it's actually new...

I can see the response now:

'you dont want to work on your house it takes you away from adventuring'.... notice It wasnt a question.

I agree with what you have said I think it should be an interviewers first question for all new MMOs

'please list the features that are different in this MMO?'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

Originally posted by DAS1337

the answer... shiny clinky coin

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

OF course but it really doesn't serve as a good case of that, nothing was really revealed at all.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

Throughout that whole video he basically said I plan to be anything but original and "I plan to make a SWTOR mistake and make a single player cloned mmo"

He did not seem to demonstrate that he understands what an MMO is. I am sure the guy would do a decent job at making a single player RPG but that does not = mmo.

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203

If he was hoping even to just a little sway the community to his cause. I would say that he catastrophically failed.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Looks good, but ArcheAge is still best game.

• mmofreak888mmofreak888 Member Posts: 9

daoc + uo + themepark = ???

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by RoyalPhunk

Throughout that whole video he basically said I plan to be anything but original and "I plan to make a SWTOR mistake and make a single player cloned mmo"

He did not seem to demonstrate that he understands what an MMO is. I am sure the guy would do a decent job at making a single player RPG but that does not = mmo.

All i heard was the same BS that Bioware was spewing for yrs. before TOR was released. He talked about being the hero in your personal story. He talked about how NPC's will treat you like the hero in conversations. He talked about other open world quests. He talked about exploration and stubbling on a special item or whatever he called them that give you buffs, which equals TOR's datacrons. He talked about levels,end game raids that give rewards that also have heroic modes. He talked about pvp and obtaining better gear which equals gear grind.

Add, them using the Hero Engine and having full voice overs and ES will play almost identical to TOR. The only 2 things that are different is the public dungeons which sound like a different take on Rift's and GW2 dynamic events and the 3 faction DAOC pvp.

Basically, they are making a genaric/vanilla game first and anthing that has something to do with the ES will be nothing more than that name on the box only.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Tell us more about the industry and elder scrolls mmo development

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

Looks good, but ArcheAge is still best game.

As painfull as it is for me to accept it, Arch Age looks more like TES than TESO. I think I will be playing that one when TESO comes out.

• qwop22qwop22 Member Posts: 4

I like that they are really putting and importance on public dungeons. In an MMO, public dungeons are great for grouping up wiht new people and leveling together in a pick-up group in a spot within a dungeon. DAoC was full of public dungeons. What he describes in this interview when talking about public dungeons is so true. 

Also, it's nice to know they value making the player feel like they're part of a community. In DAoC you really had realm pride, and even guild pride. When you have 3 faction RvR it makes it more dynamic and it gives you a stronger sense of community when you have to gang up and take out the invading faction. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Stekky

"So how do you cater to those who just want to walk around and pick flowers?"  

Paul:   "Ehh  emm  yea...  it's one of those things we're looking at...  umm"

So,   I'm guessing the crafting systems are not going to be anything like TES either.    Fantastic!

Heh, I am glad other people noted this. ^^

On picking flowers and interactivity: "Those are things we want to approach" - translation: We don't have anything like that in the game, but we think about it. Eventually. I hated it how he just brushed off the entire noncombat part with PR bla bla.

Raids, heroic dungeons & PVP as endgame?Really? Wow, how new.

Pft... this really didn't sound good. A ot of vague PR phrases and nothing to answer to the critique and fears of Elder Scrolls single player fans. The entire "we are not making an Elder Scrolls game first, but a good game" is SO bad typical PR hogwash. I am very skeptical aftert his, because it reeks of the same arrogance and smoke and mirrors involved in the SWTOR development.

I mean, who needs yet ANOTHER MMO like this? Haven't we all seen this old formula enough by now? And why slap in the face of every Elder Scrolls fans right away? Where this known and proven old fashioned theme park MMOs go we can see with SWTOR and so many other MMOs which were straw fires. This so looks bad.

My thoughts about TESO

My thoughts about TESO

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert