Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is Tab Targeting, not Aim based like a TPS/FPS

Comments

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by helthros

Originally posted by OldManFunk

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

GW2 is different from WoW and WoW clones like Tera and SWTOR.

if you say Tera is a wow clone in terms of quest and other things i agree, but how can Tera be wow clone if the combat system is nothing to do with WoW?

SWTOR / LOTRO / RIFT in combat mechanic are wow clone obvious but Tera? really?

When you attack something in Tera your target pops up so it's exactly the same as WoW.

The game has swords and magic, it's obviously a WoW clone.

I noticed that, too.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by c-tray

I did try a staff on my Guardian which had some ranged abilities and I could fire without having a target and it would go in the direction i was facing, also can confirm 100% that players could move out of the way of my shot, without dodging and avoid any damage.

I'd try the staff with and without tab targeting.  I'm guessing that without tab targeting the shot is true "aimed" fired in a direction and it hits what it hits.  I'd be curious if the staff becomes sticky aiming (unable to be avoided without dodge) if a target is selected.

From a programmers perspective this makes sense in that the weapon handler would have two modes (or more) depending on circumstances and configuration settings.  In one mode it works like an FPS weapon.  In another it works like a conventional tab-target shot although possibly with exceptions like hitting something that wasn't targeted that got in the way or failed to hit because the target dodged in time to avoid it.

Sounds like a cool design if this is how it works.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Was someone confused as to thinking it wasn't tab-targeting?

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Zekiah

Apparently there were "misleading rumors" floating around, somewhere, and it was urgent to correct these.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

As much as I hate to sound like I'm defending him there were more than a few posters scurrying around here beforehand saying essentially that.

Didn't seem to be a huge matter of contention that deserved this topic though.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Some people I am sure, are turned off from GW2 because all the misleading rumors about the gameplay being aim based.. But it isn't. It's tab target, with unique hit detection mechanic. Attacks still homing attacks like a tab target. Aiming the camera will not aim the attack.

Around 3:00 you can see what I mean if you want visual proof. I know some fans will come in and not care, but many people are not as informed as you are, and believe the game uses aiming combat like MO or something, which it doesn't.

it is ranged tab target, try hitting a melle mob with monsters near it... if u dont wacth your swing you hit them all

:)

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Factually accurate thread title is factually accurate.

::nods::

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

That would be me.  It probably has something to do with not using the Tab key for the last two days of the BWE.  I can see my mistake now.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by pacov

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

GW2 is different from WoW and WoW clones like Tera and SWTOR.

if you say Tera is a wow clone in terms of quest and other things i agree, but how can Tera be wow clone if the combat system is nothing to do with WoW?

SWTOR / LOTRO / RIFT in combat mechanic are wow clone obvious but Tera? really?

He never mentioned combat, so you shouldn't attack him like that, and besides I am sure he ment to say that tera and swtor have more features like wow than gw2... too bad clone is used way often these days...

that i agree but the post he made was nothing like that. he just say: (and i didnt atack anyone, just disagree with him)

TERA and SWTOR = WoW

GW2 not equal to WoW

if he say like you mencioned, GW2 are much more diferent from WoW than Tera  obvious i agree. GW2 and Tera both combat system are very far from WoW combat mechanic, both have amazing graphics( different styles). 

in the rest i agree, Tera have much more similarities with WoW compared with GW2. for me any comparasion betwen WoW and GW2 is that both are fantasy MMORPG and nothing more. 

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I'm a fan of what I saw in BWE1, but you guys are mixing terms.

GW2 *IS* a WoW type MMO. Dodge adds some tweaks, the dynamic events adds some tweaks, but underneath it all it has the heart of an EQ/WoW game.

Howerver, it is NOT a WoW 'CLONE'. That honor would go to games like Runes of Magic, Allods, Gates of Andaron, etc. Clone means exact duplicate intentionally as a wannabe, GW2 is not a WoW duplicate, however at it's core it is still an EQ/WoW type MMO.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• c-trayc-tray Member Posts: 98

even with tab targeting you can not, either one could step in front of the other, if they stand still well you "aim" =) in the direction you want to fire/swing.

you don't not need to tab, its optional but probably more effecient.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Unlight

That would be me.  It probably has something to do with not using the Tab key for the last two days of the BWE.  I can see my mistake now.

*BIG GRIN*

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I played one whole day with no tab key use at all last bwe

even with tab targeting you can not, either one could step in front of the other, if they stand still well you "aim" =) in the direction you want to fire/swing.

It isn't more efficient, I can assure you.  If you've pre-purchased, try playing without it next time and see how much quicker you are in combat.  Just aim at your target and activate your skill. 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Warning the bottom holds common sense and exposure, viewer discretion is advised!!!!

GW 2 is Tera with no animation locks and aiming via mouse

Tera has good lengthy anims

GW 2 simple anims nice visuals

Tera and GW 2 both action

GW 2 how ever is a hybrid

I'm not saying which one is better

Truth be told you can in fact play both without touching tab button like I did. I didn't touch the tab key at all while playing both.

If you like using tab target combat you can do so in GW 2. if you like auto attack you can if you wish do so in GW 2.

That's just being honest and to the point with facts.

Oh and Tera combat is not bad nor is GW 2 BOTH bring something new I assume far as combat.

Advice to haters toward either game, live life, both game can prosper both are action, both require skill.

Take care and enjoy yourselves.

Also no homing when targeting in GW 2.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• c-trayc-tray Member Posts: 98

It isn't more efficient, I can assure you.  If you've pre-purchased, try playing without it next time and see how much quicker you are in combat.  Just aim at your target and activate your skill. 

I'll try with out at all next bwe, I admit I knew i did not need to but I would just do it out of habit, less often with melee and more often when switching to ranged.

out of context but I really enjoyed playing the Guardian last bwe.

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

Not sure of the OPs intentions, but it generated some good info for me. 

I'm playing Tera right now and love the combat. It's something you can get good at with practice and skill. I don't like tab targeting and auto-attacks.

What I thought about GW2 before was that it was either Aim based OR Tab targeted which to me said - yeah I could aim and practice up, but my opponent could win by tab targeting and spamming hot keys, so though I enjoyed the challenge and immersion of aim based targeting, using it would put me at a disadvantage.

After reading through the above replies from players, my interest is renewed a bit - it looks as though skill will be rewarded. I'll be checking it out after release.

You can target something, stand in place and hit your attacks and *sometimes depending on the ability* it will turn your character to face your target and fire... but that's as far as it goes. Most projectiles do not home and only hit the first target they encounter... I have to say most because the Engineer's first underwater ability does home but still hits the first target, and the frost Elementalist rings will hit many targets in a line... but, the point being GW2's combat will heavily favor skillful players who aim and move around to dodge projectiles.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by RizelStar

Apparently some attacks do auto-track but it is unclear which ones or how prevelant this is, or whether this is even in fact working as intended.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Projectile

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Apparently some attacks do auto-track but it is unclear which ones or how prevelant this is, or whether this is even in fact working as intended.

• Torpedo Shot

Torpedo Shot - "Fire a shot that homes in on your target"

Very few GW2 abilities home, but that's one of them.

• Lethal920Lethal920 Member Posts: 112

It seems as if your hobby is bashing GW2 every waking moment of your life.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by Velocinox

I'm a fan of what I saw in BWE1, but you guys are mixing terms.

GW2 *IS* a WoW type MMO. Dodge adds some tweaks, the dynamic events adds some tweaks, but underneath it all it has the heart of an EQ/WoW game.

Howerver, it is NOT a WoW 'CLONE'. That honor would go to games like Runes of Magic, Allods, Gates of Andaron, etc. Clone means exact duplicate intentionally as a wannabe, GW2 is not a WoW duplicate, however at it's core it is still an EQ/WoW type MMO.

no its not. GW2 isnt WoW type MMORPG, reason why many people are insterest in the game. Tera isnt a wow clone either, but share some similarities. raids / quest / etc.

GW2 is in all aspect almost an opposite of WoW. combat isnt have nothing to do with wow, not just because they add dodge...

tell me what GW2 and WoW have in common.  i came form a wow clone (LOTRO) and the combat is nothing like GW2.

dont need to target mob to atack ; need always move ; no specific classes ;  can dodge atacks (not just AoE skill, projectiles too) ;   point and click skills  have no room  in GW2 (you can use but you will be a bad player, in wow is just fine) ; combos hits ; swap weapons ; dynamic combat; etc.

because you  can tab target mobs (if you want) make the combat like WoW? not even close. and i had play many and many wow clones include WoW too.

if GW2 was a WoW type game i had stay on LOTRO. 

in the rest: pve/pvp/graphics dont need to say  much...

PS: seem the projectiles that cant be avoid (in open field) are the ones that in real life have track abilities, like missiles, torpedos, etc. is a excelent detail by arenanet

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Charlizzard

I mean't like for example you shoot an arrow at a target who's behind someone else, you won't hit your target but you'll hit the guy infront instead. Same goes for the homing attacks, least that's how it worked with my mesmer and engineer in PVP.  Least that's what I thouight what the OP meant.

Though thanks for adding that tad bit info.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• The OP's use of the word "homing" is not a good description.  Homing implies a projectile will go in all sorts of crazy perambulations in order to still hit.  Nothing does this in GW2.

However some staff projectiles will curve a little.  The necro basic staff projectile does curve and adjust some.  But its no where even close to homing if someone was runing directly tangential to your field of view and you shot a necro staff projectile at them the projectile would curve at them but it would still miss by a mile.

I'll try with out at all next bwe, I admit I knew i did not need to but I would just do it out of habit, less often with melee and more often when switching to ranged.

out of context but I really enjoyed playing the Guardian last bwe.

I played most of my first day using Tab, mostly out of habit as well.  I think it was just by accident that I started hitting my skills directly when aiming for a mobs.  I didn't even realize I'd made the switch until the BWE was over and Tabbing was being discussed in another thread.

Originally posted by gestalt11

The OP's use of the word "homing" is not a good description.  Homing implies a projectile will go in all sorts of crazy perambulations in order to still hit.  Nothing does this in GW2.

However some staff projectiles will curve a little.  The necro basic staff projectile does curve and adjust some.  But its no where even close to homing if someone was runing directly tangential to your field of view and you shot a necro staff projectile at them the projectile would curve at them but it would still miss by a mile.

No, homing is accurate.  It's even in the skill description for the Elementalist skill Water Missile.  This will follow you all over but will not skirt around obstacles, so if you hide behind a wall, the missile will track directly towards you on the shortest possible path.  If that takes it through another object, that's where it will impact.

There aren't supposed to be many skills that function this way.  I certainly don't remember any of the skills on my characters behaving like that.