Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Dead MMOs with Potential

Comments

• GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

I miss Spellborn... :(

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I miss Spellborn too :/

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

yeah RIP TR.  Still one of the most immersive MMOs i've played.  Perfect example of story/world well ntercorporated with what your character is actually doing at any given time.  Great combat system also - just enough FPS feel to be involved, but no actual twitch-targeting to make it unattaractive for MMO games.

If it was still up, i would re-sub in a second.

I don't really miss MxO.  I think the article is more in love with what MxO should have been than with what it actually was.

I DO miss SWG.  Whether you consider it dying with NGE or when the lights finally went out last year, it was something incredible, done on a scale and mindset that hasn't been seen since.  I think many of the best things we're seeing in games today are due to the things that were first thought of and tried in SWG (the whole idea of GW2's dynamic events and quests is what SWG initially envisioned - just an example)

Also.. last i checked Vanguard wasn't actually dead but rather is in the process of getting a second lease on life courtesy of an F2P model.  Not sure why people count it as a dead MMO.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

top 5 easily to me

5) Tabula Rasa

4) SWG

3) Earth and Beyond

2) SHADOWBANE

1) AC 2

honorable mention to HORIZONS, while actually not dead it might as well be, best class based sandbox ever ultimate crafting

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Abit off topic, but mmo are one of, if not the most risks a development studio can take.. No wonder these games that had potential got canned..

One, you have to have GM, 2) good customer support, 3) try to make a game that pleases you the dev and appeal to a good amount of person to stay profitable..

No wonder the genre seems more of the same with every release.. The risk involve trying to do something new far beats any other genre of gaming..

Just my 2 cents..
  • BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Originally posted by astoria

Tabula Rasa RIP. Lacking at launch admittedly, but less lacking than many other AAA titles that are still around. 

Problem with Tabula Rasa was the lack of PVP.  Richard Garriott even said in an interview prior to its release that he hated PVP.  It turned a lot of people off for sure.  PVP players are a lot more foregiving about technical issues or lack of content.  PVE players tend to MMO hop since it is much easier to complete content than to build and release content. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

The Agency seemed really interesting, especially the armor making your class bit (sounds like monster hunter)

Unfortunately it had the SOE seal of death on it, so whether or not it would have been good on release, it would have died an excruciating death either way.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I think I must have been the only person looking forward to The Agency.  I was pretty psyched for that game and definitely bummed out when it got canceled in production. :(

I beta tested Spellborn and that was just a sad travesty that game getting dropped. Pitiful, really.

I didn't have any kind of connection to the other games mentioned, though I always heard Tabula Rasa had some stuff going for it.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Thourne

Since we are including games that never made it to launch, I would have to put WISH at the top of any list I would make.

I played wish.  Dragon Empires should be on  the top of the list.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by AZdeadhead

Auto Assault; coulda been outstanding.

OMG so true...No game (to me) was ever more carthartic( lol i know I mispelled it..but seems appropriate)  then Auto Assult.  To this day I still have to fight the urge to mount blades on my Jeep and drive through a shopping mall.. *evil grin*

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Lets see, my list

1. Charr The Grimm Fate: sure it was vaporware, but had some great ideas, and a good reason why you keep coming back to life.

2. Dragon Empires:  the game was designed from the ground up as an open world pvp

3. UO2:  would have loved to see an updated version of the pre 2000 UO

4. UO:  lets face, for those who played in the begining the game is dead

5:  hmm guess my list is short.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• MathizsiasMathizsias Member UncommonPosts: 16

Any remember Imperator? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pd3_CWezTc

When Mythic still had great potential :(

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Thourne

Since we are including games that never made it to launch, I would have to put WISH at the top of any list I would make.

I played wish.  Dragon Empires should be on  the top of the list.

oh yeah, forgot about Wish.  The game wasn't perfect, but never made it out of beta.  Could have been good.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Originally posted by korr

Lets see, my list

1. Charr The Grimm Fate: sure it was vaporware, but had some great ideas, and a good reason why you keep coming back to life.

2. Dragon Empires:  the game was designed from the ground up as an open world pvp

3. UO2:  would have loved to see an updated version of the pre 2000 UO

4. UO:  lets face, for those who played in the begining the game is dead

5:  hmm guess my list is short.

http://rpgvaultarchive.ign.com/features/interviews/charr.shtml

Charr interview, man a lot of stuff from this interview was way ahead of the time.  Good read though if you are bored, funny the Developer talks about not being able to wait to play Horizons

• urdrielurdriel Member UncommonPosts: 31

Spellborn was a good game R.I.P.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Tabula Rasa is the only game on that list that I'd like to see resuscitated and given an overhaul.  The others were never even on my radar.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

1) SWG pre-cu

2) Shadowbane

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• johnnyblancojohnnyblanco Member Posts: 11

Auto Assault. Nuff said.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Darkfall, Xyson and Vanguard would have been on my list.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Asheron's call 2 is my choice was a very good mmo with beautifull graphics for a game from 2002 you dont believe your eyes how game looks on todays PC.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I think this is the first list MMORPG has done where I agree with every pick...  

The matrix was so poorly executed in the beginning, yet the world was done very well, and the live events were some of the best I've ever seen in a game, even if it was a famous NPC just hanging around most of the time.

Spellborn just didn't live up to the expectations, and really tried hard in the combat department.  The art direction was outstanding in my opinion.

The Agency could have been the modern day spy thriller MMO we were looking forward to... touted to have interesting combat and launching onthe heels of  what was supposed to be a successful DCUO launch.. it could have been a very interesting game.

Dominus died before it could really live.  I played the early betas and enjoyed it... they had some amazing platforming you had to do with jetpacks that I haven't seen in an MMO before that made the game truly outstanding.  The premise was also pretty great.. but unfortunately they couldn't keep going.

Lastly,  Tabula Rasa was a game that was well before its time.  An interesting wonky aim based combat,  with unlockables littered around, and a very immersive war torn planet... not to mention  an event system akin to what RIFT and GW2 are now putting into play,  and at the time, nobody even took the time to notice.   This game should still be running... it was completely playable on launch and the combat was fast and fun.

Good job Mike.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Should just add SW:ToR and The Elder Scrolls Online to the list now to save time.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Can't believe Earth and Beyond isn't on this list!  What irks me most about E&B's cancellation is that reports claim it was a profitable MMO, but for EA it wasn't profitable enough. So EA pulled the plug.

/mad

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Dragon Empires....  The game that if finished would have changed the entire genre.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I remember being excited about UO2. The video looked awesome, it might have been a contender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXpnAs8Z9g4

Archlinux ftw