Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question

ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

If Im waiting for GW2 should I buy TERA or wait for Diablo3 to hold me over? Its possible GW2 wont be out for several months.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Zaltark

If Im waiting for GW2 should I buy TERA or wait for Diablo3 to hold me over? Its possible GW2 wont be out for several months.

really depends on what you are looking for in a MMO

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

TERA players like me will tell you to get TERA and you won't regret it.  GW2 fans will tell you it's awful.

If you're looking for an MMO to play right now, TERA is the best one out by far, and probably, in my opinion, will be the best through the rest of the year.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Yeah it's fun, at least for now. Endgame doesn't seem to really exist yet but I'm sure they'll patch it in during upcoming months as people cap out. Depending on endgame quality will determine if I resub past gw2 launch. Fun for now though.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Tera is really fun, I was in the same situation you are....

Don't regret it and enjoying it a lot...Don't let the fanboys of other games tell you otherwise....

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

As for Tera, If you haven't played the GW2 beta I'd advice you to get it, IF you have played GW2 beta I'd advice you to not get it, at least not yet until Diablo3 comes out and read reviews/compare the games.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Originally posted by xposeidon

As for Tera, If you played GW2 Beta I'd advice you against it, if you haven't I'd advice you to wait for DIablo3 reviews then decide.

^ Here is one, you know what I mean?

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by snoocky

As for Tera, If you played GW2 Beta I'd advice you against it, if you haven't I'd advice you to wait for DIablo3 reviews then decide.

^ Here is one, you know what I mean?

Well I was in the OP's situation and made the mistake of buying TERA, I regret it now but money's spent already so..

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

I'm eagerly awaiting GW2. Played in the BWE and loved every freaking second of it and now I can't enjoy WoW or LOTRO the same.

Bought TERA to "hold me over" until then. Mostly got it on a whim, since I'd heard things such as "standard kill X" quests. It's true that the questing system is archaic at best, but otherwise I've been having nothing but a great time. The combat is really fun to me, although I do still prefer GW2 combat (since you can, you know, move around while attacking in GW2).

If you're looking for an MMO that can give you that same basic feeling, and don't mind a game ressembling other MMOs from a basic standpoint (same kinds of quests, same kind of progression), I would recommend TERA. Sure, it's a bit same-ish but it's still a very good game in it's own right.

The community as a whole, however, is pretty fucking terrible so far.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

I actually would recommend getting TERA.  It is a pretty fun game, however, just be prepared to go through linear questing hubs or BAM grinding for your leveling experience.   Gameplay-wise, the combat is good, everything else is pretty meh.  

BOOYAKA!

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Well, some of my family want to get torchlight 2. So Ill either have 2 MMos to play (GW2/TERA) or Ill have 2 CORPGS(Diablo3/Torchlight2). I dunno what to do.

Already preordered GW2. Pretty much agreed to split cost for Torchlight 2(with fam).

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

if you can get over the horrible immature community that makes up Tera then go for it , its a fun game to tide you over until better releases. But its full of pedo's and immature little brats on a lot of the servers spamming channels with nonsense and the company isnt doing anything at all about it nor the gold spammers starting to show up which the same bot on celestrial hills now for a week still actively spamming with no EM responce.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

As for Tera, If you haven't played the GW2 beta I'd advice you to get it, IF you have played GW2 beta I'd advice you to not get it, at least not yet until Diablo3 comes out and read reviews/compare the games.

Really depends, there was a good amount of people who played GW2 beta only to move to Tera because they thought it was better, so idk really depends on personal taste.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

If it helps, Tera's price has already been reduced on Amazon.  

Whether that means it's awesome or crap I'll leave up to your personal tastes.

I couldn't deal with running in the hamster wheel another moment though.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

TERA players like me will tell you to get TERA and you won't regret it.  GW2 fans will tell you it's awful.

If you're looking for an MMO to play right now, TERA is the best one out by far, and probably, in my opinion, will be the best through the rest of the year.

For me it is definately the best MMO out right now. I don't play WoW and ToR did not cut it for me. My problem is I have no intentions on paying a sub for Tera, so I will wait and enjoy D3 in the mean time.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I picked Tera up as something to do while waiting for D3. The combat is quite fun so far, the questing is pretty typical though. Figure I'll keep it as a backup game to play after D3 comes out... if I don't get bored of it by then, that is. I'm still in the starter area, so we'll see.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Originally posted by Rednecksith
    I picked Tera up as something to do while waiting for D3. The combat is quite fun so far, the questing is pretty typical though. Figure I'll keep it as a backup game to play after D3 comes out... if I don't get bored of it by then, that is. I'm still in the starter area, so we'll see.

Well we have a week :p. Tell me what happens after you leave the starter zone. I hear people say 20ish really gets cool.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Regardless of the fact its not necessarily a 'korean grinder', if you like other asian offerings (specifically Aion and Lineage 2) you have a decent chance at liking TERA.  If you didnt like those games and prefer PvE to PvP odds are you wont like TERA...You still may, but I wouldnt bet on it.

IMO there are just so many better PvE games out there that if you are only killing time til d3 you are better off not spending any money and playing rift lite or eq2 or lotro until D3.