Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 the New Touchstone for MMOs?

ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

From the recent announcement of The Elder Scrolls Online, we can see that most of the features are pretty much copy-pasted from GW2.

So, this has started me wondering. Is GW2, even before release, the touchstone for most other themepark MMOs to follow?

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(

Comments

• Half_Man_Half_ToonHalf_Man_Half_Toon Member Posts: 156

I will say no becouse Elder Scrolls Started That First and then Made it better with Fallout Animation Finishing Moves

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Whether GW2 will have that much, or any, influence on other games, really depends on how well the game does after release. By the same token, SW;TOR will probably have a negative effect on overly scripted themeparks. It is far too early to be able to make any kind of prediction of the games effect on future MMO developments. This is the sort of question that can only be answered, even then only in a speculative fashion, 3 months after launch, whenever that may be.. image

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The game developers smart enough and talented enough to pick up the GW2 blueprint and make an MMO based around it have had enough information to appreciate the value of doing so for about two years now. Arenanet were very open about some of the major design features for the game and explained why they went with each of them.

I knew the implications of the design in 2010 and I'm not an MMO designer. The better games in development for a 2014+ time window probably already have looked to GW2 for inspiration. Will any of them do a better job of borrowing features and making a great game out of it than all the failed WoW-clones? I don't know, but the design elements are superior, so the trick is in the implementation.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Half_Man_Half_ToonHalf_Man_Half_Toon Member Posts: 156

Originally posted by fiontar

The game developers smart enough and talented enough to pick up the GW2 blueprint and make an MMO based around it have had enough information to appreciate the value of doing so for about two years now. Arenanet were very open about some of the major design features for the game and explained why they went with each of them.

I knew the implications of the design in 2010 and I'm not an MMO designer. The better games in development for a 2014+ time window probably already have looked to GW2 for inspiration. Will any of them do a better job of borrowing features and making a great game out of it than all the failed WoW-clones? I don't know, but the design elements are superior, so the trick is in the implementation.

I agree with you bro Guild Wars 2 is changing how a MMO should be and I did not even had to buy it I only saw the beta and saw Guild Wars 2 and the gameplay and I said to myself boy this game is going to be epic the only I hope for this game is to have better charector models and animations so you will feel connected to your charector and have good performance like in Guild Wars 1 that you only needed 56k internet connection and  even with satelite internet with a ping of 1000ms I could still play it.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

It isn't changing anything. The game is combining good features from other games, it's not anything revolutionary but rather just seems that way due to the sheer amount of drivel that has tried to pass as the next best thing over the past few years.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

i say no they will prob not see a huge influx of money. it should be simiar to  gw1.

they will make enough money back but it wont be wowesqe cashflow.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Kabaal

It isn't changing anything. The game is combining good features from other games, it's not anything revolutionary but rather just seems that way due to the sheer amount of drivel that has tried to pass as the next best thing over the past few years.

All I can say is you are in for a pleasant surprise if you decide to play the game.

GW2 is pretty impressive as a game and fun as hell, but it isn't even the most perfect implimentation of it's own "on paper" MMORPG design doctrine possible. That's one thing that excites me about the game. I love GW2 itself, but there is room for others to take the lessons of GW2 design and deliver an even more compelling game experience.

GW2 would have been a more modest evolution over the competition if the genre hadn't essentially stopped innovating after WoW was released. With a five year + development process, GW2 was designed to be an evolutionary step ahead of the anticipated competition. When everyone else essentially stood still, or even fell back a step from vanilla WoW, it set up GW2 to be something revolutionary in it's launch window.

Some people got this just by reading and watching everything they could find from the developers over the last two years. Others won't get it until they play it and play it long enough to get the old way of thinking completely out of their systems.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

All I can say is you are in for a pleasant surprise if you decide to play the game.

GW2 is pretty impressive as a game and fun as hell, but it isn't even the most perfect implimentation of it's own "on paper" MMORPG design doctrine possible. That's one thing that excites me about the game. I love GW2 itself, but there is room for others to take the lessons of GW2 design and deliver an even more compelling game experience.

GW2 would have been a more modest evolution over the competition if the genre hadn't essentially stopped innovating after WoW was released. With a five year + development process, GW2 was designed to be an evolutionary step ahead of the anticipated competition. When everyone else essentially stood still, or even fell back a step from vanilla WoW, it set up GW2 to be something revolutionary in it's launch window.

Some people got this just by reading and watching everything they could find from the developers over the last two years. Others won't get it until they play it and play it long enough to get the old way of thinking completely out of their systems.

Nicely put.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Vesavius

Nicely put.

Sadly, this isn't going to happen for many people, and they will keep raging against the game because they don't really understand the mechanics and design at play. And of course, you can't say that to them because they lose it and say you are a fanboy/girl.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by Leodious

Sadly, this isn't going to happen for many people, and they will keep raging against the game because they don't really understand the mechanics and design at play. And of course, you can't say that to them because they lose it and say you are a fanboy/girl.

But fortunatly it will not affect the game because the player base will be large enought to encounter any kind of internet shit storm. Which in fact only happenening when the game is not yet published and after when the game doesn't deliver.

If the game is out and deliver there will only be more player playing happilly ever after.

Maybe there wil be 1 player saying no it's not good !!

But because there is need of that 1 person, for the sake of all other.

Cheap price, 1 unhappy for millions happy.

I just don't want to be that 1 person very unique I rather be that anonimous in the happy crowd :)

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

• ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by chelao

I will say no becouse Elder Scrolls Started That First and then Made it better with Fallout Animation Finishing Moves

Is this a bot? :|

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I would expect future titles to iterate on what Anet has accomplished so far.  If developers have learned just one thing, it is to call some key mechanic of their game "dynamic."

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Phry

Whether GW2 will have that much, or any, influence on other games, really depends on how well the game does after release. By the same token, SW;TOR will probably have a negative effect on overly scripted themeparks. It is far too early to be able to make any kind of prediction of the games effect on future MMO developments. This is the sort of question that can only be answered, even then only in a speculative fashion, 3 months after launch, whenever that may be.. image

This.

I don't think anyone is going to be copying GW2 until it proves itself a success.  That hasn't happened yet, despite how awesome it looks to most of us.  Popularity and financial success aren't always synonmous.  The game has the former, but it still needs to attain the latter.  Only then might other studios look at what GW2 is doing and consider it a viable path. 

With such a risk averse industry, nobody wants to be the first to plunge off the beaten path.  Leave that to the lunatic visionaries.  The rest will follow so long as the trailblazer doesn't get eaten by jungle monsters.

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

Guild Wars 2 will certainly influence future game development.

With the release of the original Guild Wars, Blizzard and other MMO companies quickly adapted and introduced additional or better competitive modes.

We are likely to see the same happening with dynamic event systems. Other publishers will take notice and find ways to shoehorn similar features into their next release.

At this point it doesn't matter if Guild Wars 2 succeeds or not. What is important is that they have shown it can be done.

In the MMO world, it is not "build, and they will come." Instead it should be, "Build, and they will clone."

Either way, the gamer will benefit from more companies implementing immersive and living worlds.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I voted maybe since we don't know how the game will develop before release. I would loved this to be the case but so many MMOs release nothing like what beta was like.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

I think we can be certain that Guild Wars 2 is going to be a success, with mostly pre-purchases and some invitations the game had 24 servers was it? Which were all almost full, now we will see how the next BWE event does. Aside from that the game has a huge GW1 following, + fanboys and other hyped people. There's also those who will buy after the reviews or are waiting for a BETA/Trial to experience the game for themselves.

Having that said, once GW2 comes out I'll be dedicating my complete gaming time to it, and never again will I look back at the old grind/quest worn out system, if a game looks interesting but has traditional quests and PVE, I'll dismiss it. Having played GW2, knowing is B2P and looking at the rest of the subscription based MMOs makes me realize how stupid it is to throw your money away like that on games of such low quality.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by Unlight

This.

I don't think anyone is going to be copying GW2 until it proves itself a success.  That hasn't happened yet, despite how awesome it looks to most of us.  Popularity and financial success aren't always synonmous.  The game has the former, but it still needs to attain the latter.  Only then might other studios look at what GW2 is doing and consider it a viable path. 

With such a risk averse industry, nobody wants to be the first to plunge off the beaten path.  Leave that to the lunatic visionaries.  The rest will follow so long as the trailblazer doesn't get eaten by jungle monsters.

There is certianly risk adversity in the industry. But I also think there were simply quite a few sacred cows in the minds of game designers in this industry. You see it on these forums all the time: You can't make a MMO without healers!!!, "What no raiding!?!?111!", "How long till I get to end game and is there one with this game", "Without gear progression people won't play". Anet challenged those long held assumptions on what actually makes a MMO fun but they really couldn't prove it till the gameplay was in the hands of the players.

I am willing to bet with the relitive postive success of the BWE they have proven thier point about a lot of these gameplay decisions. Those game designers who were watching closely to see how it actually played out probably have enough information now to say "Yeah they were right". GW2 is likely influencing a great deal the MMOs that are still in design phase right now.

Honestly as much as this community bitches about stale gameplay fostered by the corprate money machine, I really think  most of the game design mechanisms are left to game designers not corprate suits. MMOs have not inovated because too many in the MMO community, game designers and players alike, couldn't imagine it working any other way than the way it had always worked.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by vesuvias

This.

There is certianly risk adversity in the industry. But I also think there were simply quite a few sacred cows in the minds of game designers in this industry. You see it on these forums all the time: You can't make a MMO without healers!!!, "What no raiding!?!?111!", "How long till I get to end game and is there one with this game", "Without gear progression people won't play". Anet challenged those long held assumptions on what actually makes a MMO fun but they really couldn't prove it till the gameplay was in the hands of the players.

I am willing to bet with the relitive postive success of the BWE they have proven thier point about a lot of these gameplay decisions. Those game designers who were watching closely to see how it actually played out probably have enough information now to say "Yeah they were right". GW2 is likely influencing a great deal the MMOs that are still in design phase right now.

Honestly as much as this community bitches about stale gameplay fostered by the corprate money machine, I really think  most of the game design mechanisms are left to game designers not corprate suits. MMOs have not inovated because too many in the MMO community, game designers and players alike, couldn't imagine it working any other way than the way it had always worked.

GW2's BWE proved nothing. Even SWTOR was fun for the first few days. The issues that GW2 has are longevity factors, and after 3 days of playing I don't think anyone can say whether or not GW2 has any sort of longevity.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Hi, I hate swtor.  Therefore the entire industry will match my taste and change future development based on that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Blizzard's already borrowing ideas from the game, and take it from Games Workshop, having Blizzard copy you is the sign of success.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Jimmydean

GW2's BWE proved nothing. Even SWTOR was fun for the first few days. The issues that GW2 has are longevity factors, and after 3 days of playing I don't think anyone can say whether or not GW2 has any sort of longevity.

Depends on the player, GW2 will have longevity for me because I like exploring and I like challenges. GW2 probably won't have much for the gear grinders unless they switch to prestige grinders.

This is not a game.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

I think the great big middle finger to the holy trinity and it's stranglehold on what "balance" means is going to do the most for the industry as a whole, especially as GW2 becomes the MMOG success story of the decade.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

This.

I'm confident it will, but you're right, nothing has been proven yet. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Way too early to tell. The key factors most newer mmos are failing in are retention and sustained population growth. They have mostly started out hot and then fizzled sometimes even in dramatic fashion. So will this game pull it off? Maybe...has the potential. Although that has been said about a lot of games.

Regardless even my own personal opinion of the game it will take a couple months to gauge if the game can keep players' interest, if the game/company can actually build a thriving community on its servers, and has a reasonable level of updates adding more community, immersion, and gameplay criteria to their world.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

Longevity wasn't the only factor on display here. There were plenty of people that didn't think this approach would be fun at all. Some that still can't wrap there heads around a MMO without healers. They proved plenty, they proved that you can craft a fun experience "thier" way. But in terms of longevity your right that can't be proven until sometime after release. That said, I personally always considered longevity a meta factor anyway, make your game fun and players will continue to play it for a long time.