Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is Tab Targeting, not Aim based like a TPS/FPS

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by colddog04

Originally posted by Volkon

No, it isn't BS at all. It also isn't impossible for ranged to kill you when you consider all the possibilities varous weapon swaps, pet swaps, etc. offer. You can change direction and avoid an arrow if you're fast enough. The arrow won't track you, they don't do that. This is fact, a direct observation. If I knew I had to publish these findings in a peer-reviewed journal I would have... I'm actually a little surprised others aren't aware of this.

I love the game, but what you are describing is false.

You can avoid AoE. You can not avoid single target attacks that are targeted to you and in range without dodge roll or other specific cooldown abilities.

Why would I even bother to lie about this? I've done it, numerous times. I've used it to my benefit actually. A simple side-step such that an arrow misses you and hits the dolyak behind you can change a battle in most interesting ways. I'm being flat-out serious. You need to have range, the projectile has to have notable flight time (such as an arrow) and you have to be paying attention, but yes, you can change direction ("E" to "Q" or visa versa for me) and avoid the arrow. It comes in handy vs. the Sons of Svanir, btw.

Sounds like PvE.

Also WvW on occassion as well. Didn't try competitive, but I assume it'd work there as well. Just keep in mind, it's only somewhat (not 100%) affective in a 1v1 type of scenario, which isn't all that common in WvW. Moreso in PvE against mobs.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

No, it isn't BS at all. It also isn't impossible for ranged to kill you when you consider all the possibilities varous weapon swaps, pet swaps, etc. offer. You can change direction and avoid an arrow if you're fast enough. The arrow won't track you, they don't do that. This is fact, a direct observation. If I knew I had to publish these findings in a peer-reviewed journal I would have... I'm actually a little surprised others aren't aware of this.

You can avoid AoE. You can not avoid single target attacks that are targeted to you and in range without dodge roll or other specific cooldown abilities.

Why would I even bother to lie about this? I've done it, numerous times. I've used it to my benefit actually. A simple side-step such that an arrow misses you and hits the dolyak behind you can change a battle in most interesting ways. I'm being flat-out serious. You need to have range, the projectile has to have notable flight time (such as an arrow) and you have to be paying attention, but yes, you can change direction ("E" to "Q" or visa versa for me) and avoid the arrow. It comes in handy vs. the Sons of Svanir, btw.

Seconded. I've done this a fair few times against mobs, mobs have done that a fair few times against my ele and ranger in GW2. It's the exact same way it was in GW1, projectile predicts where you'll go, but if you change direction midway, it'll miss (provided there's sufficient distance).

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Wait, before we go on, you need to name specific abilities.

They were coming at me, I wasn't using them so can't name them directly.  I assume most were the standard "1" attack based on frequency however.

All I know is that when I used ranged in PvP, if I was in range, my single target skill never missed. Ever. If I was in range, they never missed.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

I should have missed something. When exactly Anet said GW2 has an aiming system?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

You can do that too.

Not in the way that he is asking. You can dodge roll at the right time to become invincible to avoid any attack. I don't think that was anywhere near what he was asking though.

Yeah, I'm not talking about dodge-rolling. I avoided many arrows simply by changing direction after they were fired. If you're keeping a good distance (as I was on my mesmer) it's not terribly hard to do.

You can not sidestep a single target arrow if it is cast while you are in range (without dodge rolling). That was what he was wondering.

That's what I'm saying... yes you can. You can sidestep a single arrow while you are in range, without dodge-rolling. I did it many times. Be moving one way, see it fire and quickly change direction to the other way. Arrow misses. You really can do this, and I was getting pretty good at it if I do say so myself. image

That's BS.

You might've been fooled by an attacker that was shooting your from out of range and you saw the arrow "miss" even though it didn't hit due to the player not having range to hit you. It could've also been an AoE arrow that "missed" but it wasn't even targeted at you, it was targeted at the ground.

If you actually could walk out of projectiles it would be impossible to kill anyone with a ranged weapon.

Even in GW1 you could strafe skills like lightning orb and snowball fighting/dragon arena was a very popular activity.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Honner

I should have missed something. When exactly Anet said GW2 has an aiming system?

They never did. And I'm glad it's not that way to be honest.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Projectile

projectile is a ranged attack which must travel from the user to the target before dealing damage.

Most projectiles can be avoided, blockedreflected, or intercepted by the environment or other enemies. A few projectiles auto-track the target as it moves. Projectiles will travel further if they are fired from a height.[1]

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

I agree with Volkon and others. You can move out of the way of attacks. I did it, and mobs did it to me a few times.

Wait, before we go on, you need to name specific abilities.

They were coming at me, I wasn't using them so can't name them directly.  I assume most were the standard "1" attack based on frequency however.

All I know is that when I used ranged in PvP, if I was in range, my single target skill never missed. Ever. If I was in range, they never missed.

Heh... you didn't shoot at me. image

Seriously, I'm guessing that people simply weren't aware enough or fighting with a mobile enough style then. I have no need to BS about this and was intending to add something positive to the equation. This definitely requires a plan for testing somehow the next BWE to prove it.

Who wants to shoot me?!

Oderint, dum metuant.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

What's the point of the OP then? just trolling?

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

what volkom say is true. i did say that before too, you can avoid ranged atack just by run (without hit dodge skill). depend on atack speed and range, a bullet you cant avoid obvious.

necro staff skill1 if you are not very close avoid them are very easy. arrows i didnt try but they arent fast as bullet so i believe people can avoid them just by run. 

for ranged skills with low speed i can asure all they are easy avoid without hit dodge skill. the skills dont track us like games with wow mechanic

edit: aparently some projectiles have auto track. " A few projectiles auto-track the target as it moves" by wiki

Maybe I just need to L2P. 

Yeah, probably to be honest.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267

MMOexposed gets paid to troll here.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

It's starting to sound like there's different behaviors for projectiles in pvp than pve, every other post contradicts the last one, it would be nice to put this to rest.

Seriously, I'm guessing that people simply weren't aware enough or fighting with a mobile enough style then. I have no need to BS about this and was intending to add something positive to the equation. This definitely requires a plan for testing somehow the next BWE to prove it.

Who wants to shoot me?!

There are projectiles that auto-track their target. I believe that the auto-attack with a mesmer/greatsword is one. These attacks would still miss if a player dodged, used a specific block/parry/blind skill etc, or encountered an environmental barrier. Check the wiki.

Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Who wants to shoot me?!

There are projectiles that auto-track their target. I believe that the autoattack with a mesmer/greatsword is one. Check the wiki.

Hmm... I never considered the beam attack a projectile personally... more of an instant hit spell with visual effects that make it look like a beam. Do you know of any actual projectiles that track off hand?

Oderint, dum metuant.

this link say all. we can avoid all projectiles but we can avoid most of them (few have track). point clarify lets go to another. xD

no one was 100% correct but no one was 100% wrong either. xD

beam attack form mesmer is a projectile? i dont think so. projectiles atacks say combo finisher: projectile right?

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

It seems like you guys hate the OP, but I think the point he was trying to get across was that the faboys kept saying over & over how GW2 had an aim-based targetting system, but in the end it is not. That is all.

I try not to read too much into it, despite his post history.

When I first started looking into GW2 I assumed it was an aim-based system according to FORUM USER posts, but after some quick research I found out it wasn't. I still dont get why some forum users insists on saying it is, but to each their own. I already provided a link, and with a simple search you can google other fanboys hyping up the game with a aim-based system, when it is CLEARLY NOT. Another example of fanboys doing the game more harm than good with their false information.

• Fed1Fed1 Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by adam_nox

It's starting to sound like there's different behaviors for projectiles in pvp than pve, every other post contradicts the last one, it would be nice to put this to rest.

Agree - 

I highly doubt it is in the game due to latency. GW2 PvP will be determined by who has the best ping.

Would be nice to see an  official link regarding aiming.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Who wants to shoot me?!

There are projectiles that auto-track their target. I believe that the autoattack with a mesmer/greatsword is one. Check the wiki.

Hmm... I never considered the beam attack a projectile personally... more of an instant hit spell with visual effects that make it look like a beam. Do you know of any actual projectiles that track off hand?

I believe that Necrotic Grasp tracks as well, at least I saw it track.

At present, I do not think there is a definitive breakdown of tracking vs non-tracking attacks.

I personally considered the mesmer's Spatial Surge a ranged beam attack that tracked.

Having said that, you need to be facing the target for the beam to work, and dodging, blocking or other skill avoidance as well as environmental factors could cause the attack to miss.

I also found that if I did not have a target selected that my auto-attack seemed to "auto select' a target I was facing if one was within range.

I love the combat in GW2, I love the feeling that it is so fluid and strategic if you don't just stand there and spam buttons, which, by the way, will have you end up dead more often than not. But, I want to be careful in making people think it requires targeting like Tera or a FPS.

• jedi_nightjedi_night Member UncommonPosts: 23

Actually yes, you can attack without tabing a taget.  I played a ranger, an elementalist as well as a warrior.  At no point do you actually have to tab a target.  Any attack you use will cause damage to anything in front of you it hits.  This is most noticeable when in fact you DO have a target selected, and something gets inbetween you and it.  Your rounds/swings will IN FACT hit the target between and not your "intended target".

Admitedly it DOES take more practive as a ranged class to not use tab to select a target, but it is far from needed to hit anyhting.

Originally posted by Nevulus

It seems like you guys hate the OP, but I think the point he was trying to get across was that the faboys kept saying over & over how GW2 had an aim-based targetting system, but in the end it is not. That is all.

I try not to read too much into it, despite his post history.

When I first started looking into GW2 I assumed it was an aim-based system according to FORUM USER posts, but after some quick research I found out it wasn't. I still dont get why some forum users insists on saying it is, but to each their own. I already provided a link, and with a simple search you can google other fanboys hyping up the game with a aim-based system, when it is CLEARLY NOT. Another example of fanboys doing the game more harm than good with their false information.

lol. you see most of us here saying that GW2 isnt a full aim game, but that fact dont invalidate that GW2 is a real action game.

for me a game with full aiming system is skyrim. 

yes jedi_knight  is true, but for ranged attacks is much more confused than for melee atacks IMO. but yes, we can play without track anything. 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

GW2 absolutely has "homing" abilities.  Almost every ranged "1" attack is homing, and many others are as well like disabling shot (thief).

That said, this really only applies for ranged abilities.  Hardly any melee abilities are auto-target (obviously).  And with ranged abilities, MANY of them are ground targeted or just shoot out in a line/cone.  There's also some that have additional "twists" like the thief's cluster bomb that is a ground targeted arrow that you have to detonate at a specific time for maximum damage by pressing the button again.

And you know, having played both TERA and GW2, I think that this is a huge distinction between the two.

TERA has absolutely pure action combat.  Every single attack is aimed based on where your mouse is.  BUT it also has a lot less attacks than GW2, and any AoEs just happen in a fixed area (like pillar of flame is ALWAYS right in front of you).

So basically, I think that GW2 has more variety in its attacks as compared to TERA, partially because of the fact that GW2 have tab-targeting.

Personally, I think this is a great thing, it means that the combat systems for both games are very different.  I'm really enjoying TERA now because it's different from GW2's combat...but I can't wait until GW2 comes out to play it as well :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

what volkom say is true. i did say that before too, you can avoid ranged atack just by run (without hit dodge skill). depend on atack speed and range, a bullet you cant avoid obvious.

necro staff skill1 if you are not very close avoid them are very easy. arrows i didnt try but they arent fast as bullet so i believe people can avoid them just by run. 

for ranged skills with low speed i can asure all they are easy avoid without hit dodge skill. the skills dont track us like games with wow mechanic

edit: aparently some projectiles have auto track. " A few projectiles auto-track the target as it moves" by wiki

Water Missile is one of them.  There are supposed to be a few others but I'm not aware of them yet.