Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't go through this anymore...I just can't..

DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Nearly every MMO announcement and launch I've experienced since my early EQ days has only ended in disappointment. I can't take it anymore, not with The Elder Scrolls. 

SWG was a huge disappointment at launch largely because it had so little Star Wars in it. I grew to like it as a game system, only to have my enjoyment shattered by NGE.

Earth and Beyond...a brilliant space exploration MMO, killed off by EA

Matrix Online...couldn't have been farther from the Matrix.

Lord of the Rings Online not the wide open explorable sand box  I wanted, begrudgingly played the themepark ride until the gear grinding lameness made it tedious.

Star Trek Online....'nuff said

Age of Conan....

And now the ESO...my heart can't take any more disappointment. I can't sit and watch this train wreck happening before my eyes.  I can't bear the inevitable sychophants nor the predictable haters, the non-stop senseless debate over nothing, and a debate that will have zero impact because the devs on their high horse with their reems of data gleened from metrics will tell me how I should want to play the game.  It feels also predictable how this will turn out.

/rant off

Someone PM me in 20 years, and I'll come back to this genre to see if it has changed at all.

Comments

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Wow... from title i thought you had your heart broken again by some woman you deeply loved.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I'm with you. 

GW2 was the last MMO I had hype for. I can't even get hyped about ESO. I just have no faith in this genre that it can break out of this terrible "quest bonaza" - gear grind that it has cloned itself into.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by Golelorn

I'm with you. 

GW2 was the last MMO I had hype for. I can't even get hyped about ESO. I just have no faith in this genre that it can break out of this terrible "quest bonaza" - gear grind that it has cloned itself into.

What? there is no such thing in TESO and all we know is that there is end game dungeons, nothing has been revealed about gear grind, for all we know it could be like GW2 dungeons.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

sry OP but uwill for sure get disappointed =/

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Wow... from title i thought you had your heart broken again by some woman you deeply loved.

Or maybe another kitten ran away... You know, something important...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

SWG tried to do to much. Tor did to little. They both reached a point where they had to ship with what they had. There is a limit on how much time and money can be spent.

• comic1973comic1973 Member Posts: 16

Same here. Tired of these hyped up Themepark game.

I have learned to just enjoy these games for 1 or 2 months and move on because it's all just the same.

Wish they made a Sandbox game like SWG again. 

Too bad TESO will just be another game I'll enjoy for just a month and then move on like SWTOR and every other so called MMORPG today.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Dredphyre

Nearly every MMO announcement and launch I've experienced since my early EQ days has only ended in disappointment. I can't take it anymore, not with The Elder Scrolls. 

SWG was a huge disappointment at launch largely because it had so little Star Wars in it. I grew to like it as a game system, only to have my enjoyment shattered by NGE.

Lord of the Rings Online not the wide open explorable sand box  I wanted, begrudgingly played the themepark ride until the gear grinding lameness made it tedious.

Age of Conan....

And now the ESO...my heart can't take any more disappointment. I can't sit and watch this train wreck happening before my eyes.  I can't bear the inevitable sychophants nor the predictable haters, the non-stop senseless debate over nothing, and a debate that will have zero impact because the devs on their high horse with their reems of data gleened from metrics will tell me how I should want to play the game.  It feels also predictable how this will turn out.

/rant off

Someone PM me in 20 years, and I'll come back to this genre to see if it has changed at all.

I dont get this, you like everquest and TESO pve sounds like a cross between EQ / GW2 and TES itself - Open world, open dungeons, no quest hubs, wolrd raid bosses - thats pure EQ that is.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

Don't get so emotionally attached to things ......you didn't make the game you just bought it .....ya i hate it when i expect a game to be great and it turns out to be a pile of *bleep* but when you barely follow a game barely pay attention to it, and then you play it the first time and it sucks.....eh who cares ...move on.

I was very upset with AoC turned out the way it did.....

i couldn't care less about APB .......cause i didn't put hardly any energy into following it......

...if the way you follow a game is killing off your desire to play and follow games anymore than make a change or your not gonna have anything left to play....how fun is that ?

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Grow up.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

I could PM you in about 2 years, when ArcheAge releases in the west.

It has everything you need and more.

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

You could ask your doc to up your dose?  Or you could just "bite the bullet" and become a cynic like the rest of us.  These are just games, and if they are fun for a day, a month, or a year -- that's great.  If not, who cares?  Maybe you want more out of a game than is healthy or reasonable.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Age of Conan....

/rant off

20 YEARS LATER....

Hey dredphyre sorry no change see you in 20years ok:P

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

*comforts* Now, now.. it's not SO bad. Lotro wasn't half bad, and some other MMOs were cool too. At least a while.

But I can understand, especially after the many disaster MMOs of the last 4 years or so, I too get weary of it. I think we "older" MMO gamers are just not the target audience anymore. It's sad, but that's how I see things. MMOs these days are more for an easy entertained/younger audience.

Seeing how negative people reacted, I guess SWTOR *really* let people down a lot, and is to blame for a lot of the negative feelings today. People are just tired of the same old lame and sterile MMOs.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by comic1973

Same here. Tired of these hyped up Themepark game.

I have learned to just enjoy these games for 1 or 2 months and move on because it's all just the same.

Wish they made a Sandbox game like SWG again. 

Too bad TESO will just be another game I'll enjoy for just a month and then move on like SWTOR and every other so called MMORPG today.

http://www.therepopulation.com/ the spiritual sucessor to SWG just what your looking for ;) they are taking alpha applications right now also .

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Age of Conan....

/rant off

20 YEARS LATER....

Hey dredphyre sorry no change see you in 20years ok:P

About 20 yrs the games will play themselves

• dooneydooney Member Posts: 69

Wait for Darkfall 2.0

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Somebody hand the OP a paper bag before he passes out.

When your post has the tone of you hyperventalating about video games, it might be time to step outside for a well-deserved break.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

As someone who's gave the best years of his life to this dissapointment of a genre simply because I saw the potential that was never realized, I sympathize.  All of my 20s gone jumping from one mmo to another that more or less missed the point.  I maybe had 2-3 years worth out of sub fees that I didn't regret out of that time period.  Pathetic. 

And to watch, in the middle of it, people worship WoW and have it explode into 10+ million people and become something even non-mmo people were aware of, was just stomach churning.  Not at first of course, when it was new and excusable, but as time went on and every game tried to capture that audience and ultimately were pieces of garbageware.

I know the OP sounds a bit melodramatic, but if it was your only real passion as far as entertainment goes, you might feel the same.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

In 20 years, we wont be playing MMOS..we'll be living it.

It will be an MMO something along the lines of Fallen Earth starring us. It will be a post apocalyptic setting after a nuke war ,where the survivors are scratching to survive. Will have 3 factions too. my guess, the north koreans, the iranians, and the americans.

you think present day sandbox open world pvp MMOs are cool? wait till you see this!