Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Dead MMOs with Potential

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The MMO graveyard is littered with games with tons of potential, but this week we've put together a list of five of our favorite picks.

We don’t know too much about this one, but Dominus had the MMORPG.com community particularly excited. At its most basic, Dominus was a sci-fi sandbox MMO with three-faction RvR. There really isn’t much to say more than that when it comes to a community who frequently herald Dark Age of Camelot as having the best PvP in the genre and often has a particular affinity for sandbox games.

Read more of Michael Bitton's The List: Five Dead MMOs with Potential.

Comments

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Tabula Rasa RIP. Lacking at launch admittedly, but less lacking than many other AAA titles that are still around. 

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Tabula Rasa was the only one mentioned that I really know enough about to agree with, was just before its time and not 100% complete at release, amazing nowadays games with similar launches can still hold on yet Tabula Rasa fell apart so fast.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Darkfall 1 (on life support till DF2 puts it out of its misery)

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    SWTOR, it would need to be rebuilt from the ground up, but the basic idea of a Star Wars MMO has potential.
  • WarpHunterWarpHunter Member Posts: 147

The 5 I thought had potential during development were

1. Mythica

2. Asherons Call 2

3. Hero's Journey

4. Warhammer Online (The original version that was being developed by Climax which was suppose to be a bloody dark version of Warhammer)

5. Middle Earth Online (Sierra On-line)

Warp

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757

Since we are including games that never made it to launch, I would have to put WISH at the top of any list I would make.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Not the matrix the 2nd and 3rd movies killed that ip

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Exteel, that game had alot of potential, if only NCsoft put more work into it :(

• I am suprised Vanguard isn't on the list, had so much potential the vast scope of the game and vision. If it had only been finished who knows where it would be now? It's still a good game today but no one wants to go back to an old game.. I'd like to see how they do free to play though

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I was sad when they canceled Mythica and Spellborn.  Just seemed like so much potential. 

• DIR3W0LFDIR3W0LF Member UncommonPosts: 64

Originally posted by LadyDanger

I am suprised Vanguard isn't on the list, had so much potential the vast scope of the game and vision. If it had only been finished who knows where it would be now? It's still a good game today but no one wants to go back to an old game.. I'd like to see how they do free to play though

seconded, Vanguard should be on that list imo. One of the biggest worlds out there :)

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Tbh I missed SWG in that list.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Tabula Rasa would have been good if they did it right.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Crynn

I am suprised Vanguard isn't on the list, had so much potential the vast scope of the game and vision. If it had only been finished who knows where it would be now? It's still a good game today but no one wants to go back to an old game.. I'd like to see how they do free to play though

seconded, Vanguard should be on that list imo. One of the biggest worlds out there :)

ER, Vanguard isn't dead like the others on the list are? Reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated.  image

Earth and Beyond, AC2 come to mind as always wondering what might of been.

A proper sequel to Ultima Online was started and failed a couple of times which is unfortunately.

Heck, I always wonder what would have happened if Mythic/EA had never occurred, nor had they obtained the Warhammer IP.

They might have gone forward with their "Romans in Space" project  (Imperator Online) which could have been interesting but was cancelled in 2005.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Meltdown

Tabula Rasa was the only one mentioned that I really know enough about to agree with, was just before its time and not 100% complete at release, amazing nowadays games with similar launches can still hold on yet Tabula Rasa fell apart so fast.

NCSoft just shut down the game out of Rage and Anger due to the lawsuit with Richard Garriott and the amount of their money he waisted on expensive "private" parties. Not to mention that he tried to trick them into paying his space endavour lol.

There are far worse games out there that are still up and running!  It had no reason to be shut down like it did! /sigh

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I would throw Vanguard on that list as well! Hopefully it going F2P will help. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

who knows how UO2 would have done but the fact a sequel never happened is a shame.

Vanguard was one of the best games that never was. Clearly Vanguard was just purchased to keep it from killing the EQs.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    I'm surprised SWG isn't on the list because it had the most potential of any game I've ever played....the CU was by far the funnest game I had ever played.
  • NendouNendou Member UncommonPosts: 3

Where's Earth & Beyond??? D:

wat?

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    I'm surprised SWG isn't on that list. After the CU it was the most fun I have ever had in an mmo besides DAoC.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

my thoughts exactly

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Crynn

Which part of dead don't you understand lol.

Anyway ill second TCOS,i was in the very first beta all the way until release even if the beta didn't run for months on end.

Remember this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFhyxWEgzls

I would also add this to the list,if only they got it right http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVPfslIId2Y&feature=related

Although the game is getting remade or a spin off of the game.

http://www.mmoculture.com/2011/03/darkness-and-light-epic-mmo-in-making.html

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Kyleran

Earth and Beyond, AC2 come to mind as always wondering what might of been.

agree - top 5 doesnt give much room

better served by a top 10 (unreleased mmos are being included like The Agency)

Microsoft's Mythica was another what if?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythica

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I have to agree with alot of the other posters, AC2, UO2, E&B and even SWG are all strangely absent from the list. I have to agree with Chronicles of Spellborn and Tabula Rasa though, both were killed off way before they ever had a chance.

Unfortunately, no amount of potential will ever make up for a lack of execution.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

At some time I was really excited about Chronicles of Spellborn. But It got canceled before I got to try it.