Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Bioware doing more harm to SWTOR...

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Is Bioware doing more harm to SWOTR by not having a system in place to merge servers and...and did they wait to long before implementing either server transfers or merges?

It seems that SWTOR players have finally been pushed to the breaking point if you ever read the main official forums page(which I do from time to time).   People that were once staunch supporters of the game have finally conceded that Biowares unwillingness to merge servers or allow transfers now is doing moe harm than good and this is having even a more adverse effect on the population by driving more people from the game due to the lack of population on many of the servers.  

So what do you think.   Has Bioware done more harm to their own game by not merging servers when they needed it most?

Comments

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I voted Yes.

TOR released with WAAAAAY too many servers. Time to merge was long ago. But with Legacy Name issues it will be hard to do without people being disappointed that they will lose ther name. I hope this is why it is taking so long.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

If they merged the servers a month ago, the game would be far healthier.  Also X-server WZ's.

90% of all compliants in the Swtor forums is population or pvp based.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I dont really care anymore, but I voted yes because all Bioware/EA does is harm thier games ;p

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by bartoni33

I voted Yes.

TOR released with WAAAAAY too many servers. Time to merge was long ago. But with Legacy Name issues it will be hard to do without people being disappointed that they will lose ther name. I hope this is why it is taking so long.

I wouldn't say they released with way too many servers.  ALL those servers were required.  There was a large amount of interest in the game and many people were looking forward to loving the game.  The problem was that after playing, so many people decided not to keep logging in.

I don't think they were expecting to lose as many people as they seemingly have.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

They will start Free Transfers at the beginning of the Summer so I guess they are listening to the Community. Unfortunately folks want the mergers/transfers now and not later.

I personally have no idea how complex or hard it is for them to implement a Transfer/Merger system, so I'm not going to grab a pitchfork and burn Bioware to the stake.

Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

I belive they want to merge servers but as a OP pointed out legacy names etc are the issue they are facing while considering megers.

X-server PvP, FP's etc should have been part of release, it will help alot with the low pop servers, might not fix all the issues but would sort alot out.

I am on a AUS based server and we run at heavy most all the time, it is still very hard to find groups for FP's.

A lot of people are trying to work out what the cap is per server and most come up with around the 2500 per server. ( if that is correct seems to be very small server caps )

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by ABRaquel

They will start Free Transfers at the beginning of the Summer so I guess they are listening to the Community. Unfortunately folks want the mergers/transfers now and not later.

I personally have no idea how complex or hard it is for them to implement a Transfer/Merger system, so I'm not going to grab a pitchfork and burn Bioware to the stake.

Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

Hmm sounds more like they are trying to mover people from highly pop servers to lower.  Doesn't sound like merging unless this is an intial thing and after it's outcome they'll merge. 

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I think if they would allow free transfers, it would help the game a great deal. My server felt too sparse. It hurt the economy. There was little to no supply or demand which stagnated any sort of healthy trade and credit flow.

But please, OP, this sentence here...

People that were once staunch supporters of the game have finally conceded that Biowares unwillingness to merge servers or allow transfers now is doing moe harm than good and this is having even a more adverse effect on the population by driving more people from the game due to the lack of population on many of the servers.

...hurt my brain. Run on sentences are painful ;)

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• Free2012Free2012 Member Posts: 28

With Ilum being the lagfest that it was I really don't think the servers/zones could handle that many players at all. My issue with SWTOR was the game never felt like a MMORPG at all, yes there were raids but it basically was more of the same. The game didn't feel alive at all.

It's a solid 'game' but not a MMO at this point, if the servers could handle dumping everyone onto 10 servers or so it would really help things out. Bioware spent far too much time on the leveling process(which was great) but rewarded players too quickly, epics all over the place. If you're lacking content at the max level there's gotta be some grind to it(not referring to PvP tokens). It was just too easy at the get go, they went WOTLK instead of shooting for a fresh Vanilla flavor.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Originally posted by DannyGlover

People that were once staunch supporters of the game have finally conceded that Biowares unwillingness to merge servers or allow transfers now is doing moe harm than good and this is having even a more adverse effect on the population by driving more people from the game due to the lack of population on many of the servers.

That's actually a pretty good run on sentence. I've seen so much worse, this one is quite well worded in comparison xD

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Well....Good Lord it sure doesnt help matters.  And Swtor needs all the help it can get. 

Swtor isnt awful.  But in my opinion it sure wasnt all that great either.  But a developer has to do what they have to in order to please their customers in order to keep them.  If merging servers is a must, get it done, and pronto.  There's probably good ideas as to why they haven't yet, and Id imagine the legacy system is likely a problem. 

Yet I still get the feeling that just as with the free month offer, they aren't merging servers because thats an admission the game isnt soaring to great heights.  And by golly they're going to keep that illusion going for as long as they possibly can.  The minute they merge servers that illusion cracks a bit.  Cant have that. 

When they are really ready to admit they are hemoraging players, then you'll get your server merges.  I promise you.  But they aren't going to do that as long as they are claiming the game is meeting all great expectations and doing well. 

• ihatepugsihatepugs Member Posts: 61

Originally posted by Greyhooff

That's actually a pretty good run on sentence. I've seen so much worse, this one is quite well worded in comparison xD

I'm fairly certain that it would have benefited from a single comma.  It's a long compound sentence, but I don't feel it was a badly written sentence.  Unless you're complaining about that lack of a comma, I can't see that many problems with reading it.  

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

The barren servers are a sure problem. They need server merges, not just free transfers that wil leave a few stragglers on completely dead servers.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Server Mergers is a huge admition that something is wrong. So that won't happen until it absolutely has to.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Greyhooff

Why is your jockey grabbing his junk??

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Fendel84M

Server Mergers is a huge admition that something is wrong.

And giving free play time only 3 months after release isnt?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Teala

Is Bioware doing more harm to SWOTR by not having a system in place to merge servers and...and did they wait to long before implementing either server transfers or merges?

It seems that SWTOR players have finally been pushed to the breaking point if you ever read the main official forums page(which I do from time to time).   People that were once staunch supporters of the game have finally conceded that Biowares unwillingness to merge servers or allow transfers now is doing moe harm than good and this is having even a more adverse effect on the population by driving more people from the game due to the lack of population on many of the servers.  

So what do you think.   Has Bioware done more harm to their own game by not merging servers when they needed it most?

The answer is:  of course

MMOs need healthy servers.  No harm in merging them and opening new ones down the road if things pick up again.  The game has so much bad press that this would actually be GOOD press for it.  Rift picked up when they finally bit the bullet and did a mass merge instead of 2 or 3 closings at a time.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Originally posted by firefly2003

Why is your jockey grabbing his junk??

I think the more appropriate question is why are you looking at his junk? xD

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Why would you care Teala,you don't like the game anyway or are you using your copy that you claim someone bought you to secreatly play swtor.

• Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

I voted Yes like most of the people.

I think that Bioware doesn't have the technologie to do those merges, also they don't have the technologie to make a LFG tool, multi-server is even more of a nightmare to implement.

They are hurting their game and they know it, they try do all they can to keep players from leaving untill they have develloped it.

They say LFG tool will be server only, once they have the technologie to be multi-server has well it will be, has soon has they have it.

They will say something like after carefull thinking, we think multi-server LFG is the future.

If they have server merge ready before summer, they'll say :" well, we give in, players ask for server merge and we give it"

If it's not yet ready untill summer: "We have to stand on our point, we will wait for the summer, etc..." OH YEA? NOT YET READY, THAT IS FOR SURE.

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I'm a big SWTOR supporter but this is what I have to say about this....

Bioware talks a big game when they talk about listening to the player base but what has been the overwhelming concensus? We need servers to be merged. I play on the Daragon's Trail PvP server on the Republic side. I have never seen any planet have more than 20 people on a planet at a time and even that many is not common at all. Clearly there is definitely a need to merge servers, especially very low population servers. There is nothing fun about playing on a server where you can't even find other people to group with.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Bushi13

I voted Yes like most of the people.

I think that Bioware doesn't have the technologie to do those merges, also they don't have the technologie to make a LFG tool, multi-server is even more of a nightmare to implement.

They are hurting their game and they know it, they try do all they can to keep players from leaving untill they have develloped it.

They say LFG tool will be server only, once they have the technologie to be multi-server has well it will be, has soon has they have it.

They will say something like after carefull thinking, we think multi-server LFG is the future.

If they have server merge ready before summer, they'll say :" well, we give in, players ask for server merge and we give it"

If it's not yet ready untill summer: "We have to stand on our point, we will wait for the summer, etc..." OH YEA? NOT YET READY, THAT IS FOR SURE.

Even a LFG tool that worked on the same server would be a huge step forward, SW;TOR is a game that is in desperate need of increased social interraction,  maybe the flexibility of the WoW system has players spoiled, but its exactly that kind of thing that will add to the 'niggles' that players have with the game.image

• BLeeDzACiDBLeeDzACiD Member Posts: 55

People say what ever how it would help but then when they do oooooooo the game is dead they have to merge servers its all over this site makes me sick sometimes dont know why I bother.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

Most definitely. The game should have launched with less servers and much higher population caps. BioWare does a very poor job when it comes to communicating with their user base. I beta tested the game since 2010 and they continuously ignored and dismissed the warnings and constructive criticism they received throughout that testing period. I blame EA for that, though. Their arrogance and out of touch mentality has rubbed off on every development studio that they managed to get their greedy claws around. DICE, the developers of the Battlefield franchise, has been exhibiting the same kind of arrogant behavior as BioWare is now. Publishers like EA and Activision are a cancer to this industry.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Corehaven

Well....Good Lord it sure doesnt help matters.  And Swtor needs all the help it can get. 

Swtor isnt awful.  But in my opinion it sure wasnt all that great either.  But a developer has to do what they have to in order to please their customers in order to keep them.  If merging servers is a must, get it done, and pronto.  There's probably good ideas as to why they haven't yet, and Id imagine the legacy system is likely a problem. 

Yet I still get the feeling that just as with the free month offer, they aren't merging servers because thats an admission the game isnt soaring to great heights.  And by golly they're going to keep that illusion going for as long as they possibly can.  The minute they merge servers that illusion cracks a bit.  Cant have that. 

When they are really ready to admit they are hemoraging players, then you'll get your server merges.  I promise you.  But they aren't going to do that as long as they are claiming the game is meeting all great expectations and doing well. 

That's what I don't get. The game is clearly bleeding subs on a daily basis. They say they knew there would be a dropoff in people playing, but yet they had nothing in place to alleviate the problem (server merges/transfers). Are they really so arrogant and proud of themselves they cannot admit the game is doing horribly? We all know it, one only has to log in to see how bad it is.

They were lazy and sloppy with SWTOR, and it shows everywhere in the game. Corners were cut everywhere you turn. About every problem with the game was brought up in general beta by testers, and they were ignored, or put on the wall of crazy (which only means, "crap we'll give them later as a patch when it should have been ingame at release"). I think they honestly thought the name Bioware attached to it, and it's star wars, would carry it through. One only has to look at SWG to see how well it went counting on just the star wars name alone. When you see them speak of server population or the optimization problems they seem all defensive and pretend it's not a problem. I wonder how many of them actually have played their game. I believe it's very low. If they had played their game they could see its flaws, just as a cook must taste everything they cook to see what more or less is needed.

I see some of the same mistakes Mythic had with Warhammer with SWTOR. It's almost painful to watch, because you just know they low people on the totem pole, that were just doing what they were told will get canned. While those higher up making the poor decisions with the game keep their jobs.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot