Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Reason to Go with TERA Over GW2...

Comments

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Though the game does utilize channels you can ride from one end of the continent to the other without a loading screen. Between the two continents is a different story. I'm not posistive but I assume you teleport from one to the other.

If the channels bother you can just ignore the feature because when you enter a new area you get sent up to the most populated channel that's not full anyways.

Thanks for the take, hope you have a lot of fun.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by Sora2810

I want to play TERA; I really do. I've just been kicked below the belt too many times this year. I want a game to cure my MMO itch; but I should probably stick to a F2P. = 

Everyone you have ever met has wasted tons of money throughout their life.  It happens to all of us.  I know I've bought bad games before.  I purchased SWTOR.  Would I purchase SWTOR after playing it for a month?  No.  However, even SWTOR entertained me for about a month.  That's generally all you get out of new single player games now anyways.  If you can afford to be without the box cost of TERA, it is definitely worth a shot.  You may end up hating it, but at least you will know that it's your own opinion made by actually trying the game.

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Lol there seem to be more GW2 fans on TERA's Forum the Actual TERA Fanbase, Anyways back to the topic.

TERA's PVP is simply amazing, I mean you get the best of each worlds, OWPVP, Server vs server coming up, Battlegrounds comin in a months or so and THE FREAKING ACTION COMBAT. I mean C'mon The combat in TERA is in a league of it's own. But let me tell you something, Don't listen to what people say and try it first Hand. TERA is not for everyone so don't expect to Find the most amazing storyline In a game that clearly States otherwise. 

The community in TERA is awesome, A lot of the PVP is community based such as the Guild wars, Deathmatches ( they are basically Openworld up to 10v10 duels) And you can place bets for these ETC.

There are more stuff but let me get to the good stuff, The Political system, One of the awesome features in TERA. The Vanarch (guild/person who owns whatever town) can enable and disable some NPCs and many Other stuff like increasing the Tax from using the Auction house etc. Its worth checking out Because I am currently having a Blast in the game. Also the Graphics are Simply THE BEST, most amazing Environments that really brings the world to life.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by killion81

...Right Now.

It's not because TERA is any better of a game or can provide any more entertainment.  It's not because of gameplay or graphics.  It's not because of a subscription versus cash shop, or BAMs or quest hubs or whatever else you want to throw in here.

It's because TERA is already out.  I have enjoyed both TERA and GW2 so far.  However, I know I can log on to TERA right now, yet I have no idea when I'll get to play GW2 again.  I'm not saying don't buy GW2 when it releases or that it will provide any less entertainment than TERA.  I AM saying, would you rather have fun now and more fun later or just fun later?

If the box price + sub is an issue for you, then maybe it is a better idea to wait if you believe you will prefer GW2 or if the pricing model will work better for you.  Otherwise, if the cost isn't going to hurt, I would recommend at least giving it a try.  Can't go wrong with two fun games instead of one fun game.

Thats what i do =] 

i play tera while i wait for D3 and GW2 

• kinikukiniku Member Posts: 53

Played in most the closed betas.  Excellent graphics.  Very nice races and classes.  And I like the unique mobs and zones.  But my problem is Tera for all it's beauty is a linear theme park.  Everyone is running around the same routes doing the same quests.  The world looks open but really it's not.  It's very nice scenary but with the rats running all in the same maze.

I want a world that takes me in while running into other adventurers.  Not 8 people going from point a - b, and groups of 8 people going from every point a - b all at the same time.

Aion done Rift style.

Cancelled pre-order.  Pass.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I dont think there is any good reason to play Tera instead of GW2, but there are enough reasons to play it till GW2 releases.

If I could play TERA for free until GW2 releases, I would. It's fun enough to play for free.

Wouldn't pay money for it though.

No I've just decided to focus my time on the gf until GW2 releases to save up enough brownie points to abandon her for days at a time once GW2 comes out.

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Tera is Tera-ble, it's not worth price of submission, unless you're willing to spend money on what amounts to a slightlyprettier Korean mmoclone, you would be better off waiting a year or two for it to become free to play like the equally terrible Aion.

The combat is basically age of conan, which is far superior fun wise and doesn't make you feel like a pedophile playing with little girls.

Intelligent consumers will pass on this one, unless of course they are big fans of Korean f2ps and are sick of the grind and are willing to shell out obscene amounts of money for the privilege of gaining more than a level a day. In which case go for it.

One thing that can be said in favor of this game is the Pegasus transport system, very sexy.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I'd say combat, but thats just from someone who feels that combat should penalize you for whatever your doing so you have to use it smartly... might be just my slight backing in fighter games but I hate when a game lets you spam skills and your still okay.  Sure its not optimal, but Its stupid animations/attacks can just suddenly 'teleport' your body away to stop and that you can flail around and still manage to be good. 

Am I saying I'd like everything about Tera? Nah, questing is bleh. The biggest selling point is combat and no offense to GW2, but I feel Tera nailed combat far better. 

• keinohrkeinohr Member Posts: 60

...Right Now.

It's because TERA is already out.  I have enjoyed both TERA and GW2 so far.  However, I know I can log on to TERA right now, yet I have no idea when I'll get to play GW2 again.  I'm not saying don't buy GW2 when it releases or that it will provide any less entertainment than TERA.  I AM saying, would you rather have fun now and more fun later or just fun later?

It's fair enough.

Originally posted by Azmodai

TERA's PVP is simply amazing, I mean you get the best of each worlds, OWPVP, Server vs server coming up, Battlegrounds comin in a months or so and THE FREAKING ACTION COMBAT. I mean C'mon The combat in TERA is in a league of it's own. But let me tell you something, Don't listen to what people say and try it first Hand. TERA is not for everyone so don't expect to Find the most amazing storyline In a game that clearly States otherwise. 

The community in TERA is awesome, A lot of the PVP is community based such as the Guild wars, Deathmatches ( they are basically Openworld up to 10v10 duels) And you can place bets for these ETC.

There are more stuff but let me get to the good stuff, The Political system, One of the awesome features in TERA. The Vanarch (guild/person who owns whatever town) can enable and disable some NPCs and many Other stuff like increasing the Tax from using the Auction house etc. Its worth checking out Because I am currently having a Blast in the game. Also the Graphics are Simply THE BEST, most amazing Environments that really brings the world to life.

Graphics:

I prefer Source Engine's Vindictus or Cry Engine 3's Archeage over Tera. I don't know if someone mentioned it but the background/sky texture is mediocre at it's best. Furthermore the Unreal Engine 3 has a Texturedelay. And the lip synch in the cutscenes ... 

Political System:

Reminds me of Archlord.

Combat:

Not everyone likes Action based Combat Style. Furthermore it really depends on your class. I can't play a Berserker. The class relies heavenly on concentrated damage. Because of this the Berserker feels really slow compared to a Warrior or a Slayer.

But the real issue is the contentupdate and how fast BHS(EME) is able to deliever it.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I get your point, but I would rather not waste the money on the box price + sub. To me, from what I played in beta, the game is terrible. 

I think I will go start a new game of Skyrim.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

if the release of a game is the only reason to buy it... you should have gone for WoW ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

No, to anyone remotely even thinking of buying this, specially if you're tired of the same old grind/quest, and specially if you've had a taste of GW2, the answer is a NO. This game is not worth the sub, it doesn't have quality content to deserve a sub. This game should be B2P or F2P, the combat alone doesn't make it a P2P game. If you want the Free version of Tera then Aion is the way to go.

The combat is good I give it that, but after taking down the 40th BAM and doing the 5th 5man dungeon you'll realize that there is no point in this but the same old gear treadmill until level 60. I don't see who in their right man would roll an alt and go through the same beginning zone, the same quests, mobs, and try to level up another character. I play a sorcerer and would like to play a slayer, but I won't because of the points above. No matter how new or fun the combat is on my slayer it won't keep me hooked to go through the same content again.

PvP is pretty worthless, there is no point in killing and there is no penalty in getting killed, sure you lose crystals but no big deal you can buy them again. Oh and to regain all your health after dying it takes about 5 to 10 minutes I guess to take a break from the boredom questing is.

So if you're not a fanboy and are searching for a quality MMO that can keep you hooked for a while this is def not it.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Lol there seem to be more GW2 fans on TERA's Forum the Actual TERA Fanbase, Anyways back to the topic.

Or maybe they are mmo fans that prefer guild wars 2, theres no rule saying you cant be on tera forums if you prefer guild wars 2.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Yeah I mean at this point it's like, which is better, TERA or WoW2.  GW2 doesn't even have a release date.

Funny cause imo tera is more like WoW than GW2

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by sanshi44

Yeah I mean at this point it's like, which is better, TERA or WoW2.  GW2 doesn't even have a release date.

Yeah, TERA is more like WoW. It has action combat. Besides that it is like WoW on a PvP server without any of the features.

Originally posted by deziwright

plenty of reasons for many to chose tera over gw2. mainly gw2 combat is bland. tera has brought action gameplay to mmorpgs unlike other failed attempts at doing so. Personally i will play both games. Tera for the PvE and GW2 for the pvp.

GW2 combat is more action based than tera when you look into it. Played a caster in tera and there is no action involved at all. you cant realy moved about due 2 movment locked when doing an animation, no dodging, you cant miss because projectiles home in on the target all you need to do is have cross hairs on the target when you hit a button after that doesnt matter where the mob move to or when you put ur cursor once u hit that button its garanteed to hit no matter what unless your shooting at somthing with dodge like a warrior. While Guildwars 2 your shots can be intercapted, dodged by anyone, obstructed in mid flight, you can move with almsot every skill some of the more powerful ones requir you to be stationary to allow people to dodge, tera you can tank and spank mobs to death like WoW, in tera you can solo elite mobs quite easily.

I could go on but ima leave it here.

• Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

The Best Reason to Go with TERA Over GW2...

is ..... drum is rolling ...

100 post later ...

is ..... drum is rolling ...

it's not like no sound reason can be found but nobody can actually put the finger on it ...

that's it ....

I know it now :) you love the game and you want me to love it with you and become a powerfull Sith ? thriving on emotion padawouane ?

-> force taste

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

plenty of reasons for many to chose tera over gw2. mainly gw2 combat is bland. tera has brought action gameplay to mmorpgs unlike other failed attempts at doing so. Personally i will play both games. Tera for the PvE and GW2 for the pvp.

GW2 combat is more action based than tera when you look into it. Played a caster in tera and there is no action involved at all. you cant realy moved about due 2 movment locked when doing an animation, no dodging, you cant miss because projectiles home in on the target all you need to do is have cross hairs on the target when you hit a button after that doesnt matter where the mob move to or when you put ur cursor once u hit that button its garanteed to hit no matter what unless your shooting at somthing with dodge like a warrior. While Guildwars 2 your shots can be intercapted, dodged by anyone, obstructed in mid flight, you can move with almsot every skill some of the more powerful ones requir you to be stationary to allow people to dodge, tera you cant tank and spank mobs to death like WoW, in tera you can solo elite mobs quite easily.

Bs rofl, you are mixing action with some keyboard turning from WOW. Just because you can walk  and cast spells it doesnt mean its action. I can tell that you don't know the first thing about this type of Combat and GW2 is TAB TARGET no matter what you say its still TAB TARGET so no, its not action and never will be so stop trying to make it out to be. The dodge in GW2 is immunity so Even if you dodge to the skill's face its still works In TERA the dodge is a freakign Dodge not some Immune Bs. You must be really blind if you think GW2's combat comes close to how good TERA's is.

Btw All lock-ons can be dodged in TERA you just need to know how to do so and you can click  your skills in TERA unlike GW2 so how the hell can GW2 be an action game exatly? It looks like league of legend's combat. Unless you are telling me that LEague of legends is an action game? you must be a wizard.

Originally posted by colddog04

Yeah, TERA is more like WoW. It has action combat. Besides that it is like WoW on a PvP server without any of the features.

Oh trust me These guys Will make even Mario look like WOW if they want to. they simply don't want their game scratched. The sad thing is 90% of the reasons they list is pure BS coming out of something they read instead of actual Facts. This site is basically Overrun by these kinds of People which is quiet Sad. Its suppose to be a site where Games are discussed  not a site where you bash the game you never played. 

Oh and BTW go check MetaCritic, read the negative reviews, I mean Its pretty funny how hard they try to put the game down.

Originally posted by colddog04

Oh trust me These guys Will make even Mario look like WOW if they want to. they simply don't want their game scratched. The sad thing is 90% of the reasons they list is pure BS coming out of something they read instead of actual Facts. This site is basically Overrun by these kinds of People which is quiet Sad. Its suppose to be a site where Games are discussed  not a site where you bash the game you never played. 

Oh and BTW go check MetaCritic, read the negative reviews, I mean Its pretty funny how hard they try to put the game down.

Agreed.  You read these posts and it's obvious the people posting against TERA have never played it.  They include blatant false statements as points on why they shouldn't play.  I understand that not everyone is going to like everything and have no problem with that.  I do, however, dislike stupid.  Oh well, I suppose they can't help it.  There's no cure for stupid, right?

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

GW2 combat is more action based than tera when you look into it. Played a caster in tera and there is no action involved at all. you cant realy moved about due 2 movment locked when doing an animation, no dodging, you cant miss because projectiles home in on the target all you need to do is have cross hairs on the target when you hit a button after that doesnt matter where the mob move to or when you put ur cursor once u hit that button its garanteed to hit no matter what unless your shooting at somthing with dodge like a warrior. While Guildwars 2 your shots can be intercapted, dodged by anyone, obstructed in mid flight, you can move with almsot every skill some of the more powerful ones requir you to be stationary to allow people to dodge, tera you cant tank and spank mobs to death like WoW, in tera you can solo elite mobs quite easily.

Never play this game have you? and projectile don't hom sorry its not GW2. Ya exactly same in Tera exact our don't hom like GW2, and hell easier to dodge than GW2. I think at the last sentence you starting to understand how wrong the start was lol.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

tera's pretty fun and for people calling it linear lol what did you expect it to have 4-284 diff starting zones that stuff cost money and time and quite frankly its not worth either 

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Never play this game have you? and projectile don't hom sorry its not GW2. Ya exactly same in Tera exact our don't hom like GW2, and hell easier to dodge than GW2. I think at the last sentence you starting to understand how wrong the start was lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDVYKmXcc3k

11seconds, 16 seconds, 29/30/31 seconds. Spell follows the mob. Tera is basicly cast a spell when cross hair and on the mob and it will hit it no matter what.

Also GW2 has a crosshair type system aswell although its hidden if you played it you would relise this aswell although it a little more lenient. Your still need to facing the target to acualy hit the person with ranged or melee if your not facing them the spell will shoot off stright ahead of you and miss them despite having somone targeted.

11seconds, 16 seconds, 29/30/31 seconds. Spell follows the mob. Tera is basicly cast a spell when cross hair and on the mob and it will hit it no matter what.

The mana regenerating "standard attack" on a few classes (mystic and sorcerer as far as I know) will hit if you fire while the target is within the cross hairs.  Considering the importance of mana to these classes and the incredibly low damage of the "standard attack", I'm fine with the way it works.  You're not going to kill someone in PVP using that attack.  None of the attacks that matter (and do any real damage) will home in on a target.

Edit: Archer's "standard attack" may also home in.  Not sure.

GW2 combat is more action based than tera when you look into it. Played a caster in tera and there is no action involved at all. you cant realy moved about due 2 movment locked when doing an animation, no dodging, you cant miss because projectiles home in on the target all you need to do is have cross hairs on the target when you hit a button after that doesnt matter where the mob move to or when you put ur cursor once u hit that button its garanteed to hit no matter what unless your shooting at somthing with dodge like a warrior. While Guildwars 2 your shots can be intercapted, dodged by anyone, obstructed in mid flight, you can move with almsot every skill some of the more powerful ones requir you to be stationary to allow people to dodge, tera you can tank and spank mobs to death like WoW, in tera you can solo elite mobs quite easily.

The mana regenerating "standard attack" on a few classes (mystic and sorcerer as far as I know) will hit if you fire while the target is within the cross hairs.  Considering the importance of mana to these classes and the incredibly low damage of the "standard attack", I'm fine with the way it works.  You're not going to kill someone in PVP using that attack.  None of the attacks that matter (and do any real damage) will home in on a target.

Edit: Archer's "standard attack" may also home in.  Not sure.

Dont tell me they dont hom in the first place then, when clearly they do, Also fixed my spelling mistake i put in an early post.

Most lvling in tera is basicly pull 20 mobs and aoe them down and you still have most of your HP good luck doing that in GW2.