Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is Tab Targeting, not Aim based like a TPS/FPS

Comments

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu4hXamJls4

i dont care how much u aim in a game if your animations force you to stand still it doesnt inspire true action combat and even if you can dodge i can just wait for you to get stuck into a attack animation and attack u at 1:43 and many other moments u can see him get stuck and many of his opponents get stuck in there attack animation and take a quick attack.  anywho i figured i would joiin in on the troll post. This video the warrior is facing some super trashy kids and the duels are very blan but the song imo of course is very good.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by Ezhae

It's actually partially non-tab based. Yes, you can tab target and you will attack in the direction of the mob/person you have targetted but:

- many attacks have arc and can be done without targetting anyone, which means you can run into group and spam your wide attack to hit several people at once without targetting any of them. 

- ranged attack have defined range and it won't autorun you into range, you can also shoot them without targetting anyone and still hit people 

- you can dodge away from both physical attacks as well as projectiles 

- there is also a lot of ground targetted attacks even for melee characters that you will have to aim to hit somoene.

So in his video, if the  target/enemy would have dodged before the necros cast, the cast would not have went off?

Skills will fire whether they can hit or not.  The target can be dodging, hidden by cover, out of range, whatever.  When you press the button, the skill fires.  It's the player's responsibility to make sure that it can connect.  The game won't do it for you.

Ok, so he could stand there and fire at the side of the hill all day. Gotcha. All I played in the beta was a warrior so I didn't have the caster knowledge at all. Thank you.

Yeah, it works the same as if you were a melee Warrior.  If there's no mob in front of you, you could swing and whiff repeatedly.  Ranged skills like spells will do the same thing.  The game doesn't care if you're in a position to hit something, that's your job and it leaves it in your hands.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

*Breaking News*

The Pope is Catholic and bears shit in the woods!

Honestly, what are you trying to expose MMOexposed?

I just don't get your zealous campaign against GW2...

Originally posted by thedarkess

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Butregenyo

Noone claimed that gw2 is aim based, but attack and projectiles are not homing like you said. They aim automatically at the current location of the target but if you are mobile at that moment or perform a dodge roll, the projectile will not follow you and so you can evade it.

For example in World of Warcraft, projectiles follow you, arrows bend their course to hit, that is homing.

Dodge roll doesn't actually dodge attacks. It makes you immune to the attack. I apcan confirm this from playing, as well as developers stating so in a interview.

From my personal experience this is not true. If I used dodge, and if I was still in the range of the melee attack or aoe circle while rolling away I would still get hit. This could be delay but It happens way too often to be that.

Evasion does give you temporary immunity, something like one second worth, where nothing can touch you.  However, if at the end of your roll, you are still within a damaging AoE or in the arc of a swing, you will take damage.  That's why knowing where to dodge to, is sometimes as important as knowing when to do it.  You have a small window of safety and you need to make sure that your maneuver won't leave you vulnerable after.  In GW2, it's entirely possible to dodge out of the frying pan and into the fire.

• Dark_SkuraiDark_Skurai Member Posts: 106

To all those people who are saying "no one ever claimed it wasn't tab targetting!"

Go back and read older posts on this board, and I don't mean like, year old, I mean a few months. Look at old GW2 blogs.

They freakin' do claim that. Just because people stopped doing it recently doesn't mean it never stopped happening. Stop trying to lie about things as if they never happened, it just makes you look all the more foolish and drone-like in your defense of the game (which I like, I just don't like people lying about things to make it look better, just leads to runaway hype)

Originally posted by BadSpock

*Breaking News*

The Pope is Catholic and bears shit in the woods!

Honestly, what are you trying to expose MMOexposed?

I just don't get your zealous campaign against GW2...

Everyone needs a hobby.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Some people I am sure, are turned off from GW2 because all the misleading rumors about the gameplay being aim based.. But it isn't. It's tab target, with unique hit detection mechanic. Attacks still homing attacks like a tab target. Aiming the camera will not aim the attack.

Around 3:00 you can see what I mean if you want visual proof. I know some fans will come in and not care, but many people are not as informed as you are, and believe the game uses aiming combat like MO or something, which it doesn't.

Once again

Another pitiful attempt at misinformation and trolling.

GW2 has terrified you. I'm sorry and all I can say is it will pass. I feel sadness in my heart for your suffering and I'm sorry for whatever game you love becayse it must have tanked or crashed and burned horribly or maybe just the genre changing out from  under your feet.

It is good tho that you can come here and share those fears with fellow gamers. We can help and try to show understanding to help cope with the issues you have. You will adjust eventually and become a productive member of these boards once again.

Love you bro and we can make it together with the help of our friends.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Some people I am sure, are turned off from GW2 because all the misleading rumors about the gameplay being aim based.. But it isn't. It's tab target, with unique hit detection mechanic. Attacks still homing attacks like a tab target. Aiming the camera will not aim the attack.

Around 3:00 you can see what I mean if you want visual proof. I know some fans will come in and not care, but many people are not as informed as you are, and believe the game uses aiming combat like MO or something, which it doesn't.

This is important for those folk who claim tab targeting is the bane of existance. I can't see playing an rpg without it.  I play rpgs when i play rpgs.  I play action games when i play action games. I don't mind some action elements (block, dodge) but relying too much on twitch reflexes in an RPG is antirpg and causes more harm than good.   

GW2 has a fine balance.  Moving and dodging is very reliable and requires you either have a sure shot before u release ranged or be able to follow up with something or trick the individual.  

Your shots do not homer in. If they did it would negate moving out of the way and dodging.  

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

MMOEXPOSED, your username sound like somekind of detective of MMORPG, but you are such bad detective. you always say you have played GW2 on beta, are you sure????

all of your post have such incorrect information that someone who play GW2 just say: what the hell are this guy talking????!!

GW2 isnt tab targeting. melee dont need target anything, ranged dont need to but is better.

you can dodge atack yes, i did dodge ranged attack and melee atacks. i dodge and avoid damage, i did a action (roll on ground) and didnt get damage from atack. this isnt dodge? dont know what is definition dodge for you.

i read lot of topic you did and they are so useless.

otherthing i never read GW2 will be like FPS/TPS, where did you get that?

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_zn404EpSs

if you use an attack in guild wars 2 and something gets in the way of your intended target that something will get hit instead of you. so attacks are not homing missiles like the OP falsely states.

• keinohrkeinohr Member Posts: 60

In other words:

Rejoice. GW2 isn't fully aim based and you will love it.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by deathangell

i dont care how much u aim in a game if your animations force you to stand still it doesnt inspire true action combat and even if you can dodge i can just wait for you to get stuck into a attack animation and attack u at 1:43 and many other moments u can see him get stuck and many of his opponents get stuck in there attack animation and take a quick attack.  anywho i figured i would joiin in on the troll post. This video the warrior is facing some super trashy kids and the duels are very blan but the song imo of course is very good.

I think people mix action combat that are based on the old combo arcade type of fighting game, and the fps cross air like aiming from tera. Tera is an action mmo (based on arcade fighting games), it is not an mmofps, even if it do use a crosshair. Combos are the main element of Tera combat, and is probably the reason they say "Tera true action combat" in their advertisement campaign, because it refer to the old street fighter kind of games called "action combat". Its amazing how little people actually know about the games they are playing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_genres

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by Requiamer

Originally posted by deathangell

I think people mix action combat that are based on the old combo arcade type of fighting game, and the fps cross air like aiming from tera. Tera is an action mmo (based on arcade fighting games), it is not an mmofps, even if it do use a crosshair. Combos are the main element of Tera combat, and is probably the reason they say "Tera true action combat" in their advertisement campaign, because it refer to the old street fighter kind of games called "action combat". Its amazing how little people actually know about the games they are playing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_genres

If i were to have a scale between tab targeting and full action game, I"d put GW 2 in the perfect middle.  It allows u to use tabs to select your target but doesnt give you a definite that you will hit your target if they move or dodge.  

Tera allows you to to aim and shoot , putting it closer to an action mmo.  However, it falls back down to poorly designed mmo as it combines this mechanic with standing in place, makig it clunkier and more static than your basic mmo.  

HOw you game in an action game is not important, it's how you get away.  

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

Originally posted by skydiver12

1) Wrong answer to a question i did not ask. I made a statement about that you can't sidestep but have to use a skill to "evade" which is not really evading at all. Hence after two times, you are bound to be hit by certain skills. (which is a response to all the "more skill is needed to play GW2" type of posts). Because there is really no difference between an Archer in FFXIV using his "evade" skill (You can't be hit for the next attack) and a GW2 player using his dodge button.

It's button smashing a button with high cooldown.

2. LOS or OOR are true and thankfully so (i hated when they disabled OOR and LOS in Aion). But my post was specifically addressing the Dodge part in comparison to a game like TERA, so my point stands true.

3. No it's not. There is a difference when i step two feet away (and out of the aoe damage area) by simply pressing "D" button or if i'm pressing a skill called "dodge" (while still remaining in the aoe area) and not getting "hit". (Something called invicible frames in action based MMOs *hint*) but don'T worry TERA has this issue too. Slayers and Warriors "dodge" too with dodge skills.

4. & 5. no one "told" me, i've tested it myself. This was a response to what many post here.

6. It is intended as a neutral statement, i never wanted put one in a "higher" league. More like apples and fish.

1) I've evaded a number of attacks without using dodge. Dodge simply lets you get out of the way quicker since a lot of attacks are really fast flying. Things can get in the way as well such as other players or a wall if the player moves behind it. The farther you are away from a ranger attack, the easier it is to get out of the way.

3) Invincibility on dodge was added because of latency issues that some people have in MMOs. In the earlier demos at tradeshows, it wasn't in there. The invincibility granted is actually for less time than the dodge roll actually taking place.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by sanshi44

2 minute 8 seconds in you also notice a spell misses because he wasnt facing a person dispite having somone targeted.

I call GW2 combat a tab-action combat xD

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by joocheese

Noone claimed that gw2 is aim based, but attack and projectiles are not homing like you said. They aim automatically at the current location of the target but if you are mobile at that moment or perform a dodge roll, the projectile will not follow you and so you can evade it.

For example in World of Warcraft, projectiles follow you, arrows bend their course to hit, that is homing.

1) This is only partially true as in only certain skills. There are enough skills which can not be dodged by simply walking in another direction.

2) The basic longbow shot (1) of my warriors bow does HOME into you. despite bunny hopping 5 meters left. It flys a curve.

The Explosive Arrow can be dodged by not walking into the area it was initially launched at.

3) Both can be "dodged" by using the skill / (doubeltap). Which really is not about "evading" but about a skill to avoid "hits" despite still standing in teh area..

4) This is all fine and certainly "different" enough to the common themepark. But certainly no where near TERA or FPS based gameplay, and

5) all those foul cries about "Skill" and learning to dodge are really just overhyped fanboy euphorism.

6) GW2 combat is a nice step up from TAB based, but don't plays in the same league like TERA.

1) Why would you just walk in another direction when you can dodge? Btw, your statement makes no sense... you want to be able to dodge by just walking? That's why GW2 has the "dodge" mechanic in place.

2) its "Dual Shot". It fires two arrows. It does not follow like wow projectiles. If you're within range and in LoS (line of sight), you'll get hit. If you're behind a wall, or any other obstruction, or dodging (like you said), then you won't get hit.

3) So avoiding dmg is not evading dmg?

4) Whoever told you that GW2's combat was the same as FPS and/or TERA was not being accurate

5) A clear sign you are being impartial in your assessment no doubt. Surely you're not trolling, surely not!

6) I guess time will tell who's not in who's league.

1) Wrong answer to a question i did not ask. I made a statement about that you can't sidestep but have to use a skill to "evade" which is not really evading at all. Hence after two times, you are bound to be hit by certain skills. (which is a response to all the "more skill is needed to play GW2" type of posts). Because there is really no difference between an Archer in FFXIV using his "evade" skill (You can't be hit for the next attack) and a GW2 player using his dodge button.

It's button smashing a button with high cooldown.

2. LOS or OOR are true and thankfully so (i hated when they disabled OOR and LOS in Aion). But my post was specifically addressing the Dodge part in comparison to a game like TERA, so my point stands true.

3. No it's not. There is a difference when i step two feet away (and out of the aoe damage area) by simply pressing "D" button or if i'm pressing a skill called "dodge" (while still remaining in the aoe area) and not getting "hit". (Something called invicible frames in action based MMOs *hint*) but don'T worry TERA has this issue too. Slayers and Warriors "dodge" too with dodge skills.

4. & 5. no one "told" me, i've tested it myself. This was a response to what many post here.

6. It is intended as a neutral statement, i never wanted put one in a "higher" league. More like apples and fish.

1) We obviously disagree. Its more than just a high cooldown skill, in that you actually move, providing you with multiple options as opposed to just standing still pressing "evade". After the two times of actually evading/avoiding dmg, you are not bound to be hit (btw, no guarantee you'll evade/avoid dmg by "dodging" - if you dodge within aoe). Biggest difference, as already stated, is that by dodging you are doing more than just evading/avoiding dmg, you are moving faster than just side-stepping thus providing yourself with more options to either escape and/or mitigate dmg.

2) Attacks in GW2 do not "home", they have auto-aim (not all of them). If you are facing too far in a different location, the skill will not hit your target (facing too far left/right or opposite direction). Difference from "homing" and auto-aim is that it allows you to avoid/evade dmg through various ways (dodge/LoS/etc).

3) If you dodge within an aoe, you'll still get dmg.

4) TERA's combat is the closest to FPS when it comes to their point-and-shoot combat style. Other than that, I find it quite unimpressive and somewhat dissapointing considering all its "innovative" hype.

5) After playing 30+ hrs during the first BWE, it was still taking me some time getting used to the dodge mechanic. Its definitely more than just clicking it and avoiding dmg. You have to learn how/when to use it in order to maximize your possibilities to inflict and mitigate dmg.

6) As to apples and fish, I completely agree.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Yes it is TAB targetting game with some hybrid system & dodging. 

I AM VERY GLAD THAT IT IS.

Don't want it to be FPS like.

If I would want this , I would wait for Planetside 2 or other MMOFPS games instead.

OR mmorts ,etc 

There are also other mmorpg games with targetting.

Well I prefer GW2 hybrid system.

I don't want fully & totally twitch games everywhere.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by fenistil

Yes it is TAB targetting game with some hybrid system & dodging. 

I AM VERY GLAD THAT IT IS.

Don't want it to be FPS like.

If I would want this , I would wait for Planetside 2 or other MMOFPS games instead.

OR mmorts ,etc 

There are also other mmorpg games with targetting.

Well I prefer GW2 hybrid system.

I don't want fully & totally twitch games everywhere.

agreed

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by joocheese

1) We obviously disagree. Its more than just a high cooldown skill, in that you actually move, providing you with multiple options as opposed to just standing still pressing "evade". After the two times of actually evading/avoiding dmg, you are not bound to be hit (btw, no guarantee you'll evade/avoid dmg by "dodging" - if you dodge within aoe). Biggest difference, as already stated, is that by dodging you are doing more than just evading/avoiding dmg, you are moving faster than just side-stepping thus providing yourself with more options to either escape and/or mitigate dmg.
    2) Attacks in GW2 do not "home", they have auto-aim (not all of them). If you are facing too far in a different location, the skill will not hit your target (facing too far left/right or opposite direction). Difference from "homing" and auto-aim is that it allows you to avoid/evade dmg through various ways (dodge/LoS/etc).
    3) If you dodge within an aoe, you'll still get dmg.
    4) TERA's combat is the closest to FPS when it comes to their point-and-shoot combat style. Other than that, I find it quite unimpressive and somewhat dissapointing considering all its "innovative" hype.
    5) After playing 30+ hrs during the first BWE, it was still taking me some time getting used to the dodge mechanic. Its definitely more than just clicking it and avoiding dmg. You have to learn how/when to use it in order to maximize your possibilities to inflict and mitigate dmg.
    6) As to apples and fish, I completely agree.

After testing it myself i'm beyond doubt that there are "invicible frames". At this moment the whole argument about point 1. becomes to me pointless. To me it's just a button i have to press at the right time, as much as i have to press my evade in LOTRO / FFXIV / WoW skill. cooldowns or maybe even duration is different, but there is no inherit layer of skill like some people claim.
    (I can hit evade for 30 seconds and still stand in the end inside an aoe in LOTRO for example and get hit) If you feel more compeled because this skill and it's function is labeled missleading, have fun with it :) Knowing when to hit the evade button is a given, and must also be practiced in any other mmo. You don't want to waste your evade skill on a minor attack :)

2. LOS & OOR are different entities on their own, if that is your definition between "homing" and "auo-aim" so be it. Doesn't change the fact of what i did state. You are evne aware there are certain abilities which ignore LOS?

3. No. Invicible frame says hello. If you happen to press to late due to lag, can't be helped. If the AOE does permanent damage you just avoided the initial hit. If you hit it too early you stand again and get hit but stop spreading the missconception of actually "dodging" like moving faster.

The purpose i'm posting here is not to bash GW2 nor to promote other combat systems, i just wanted to clarify the nature of GW2's system and it isn't real dodging for the most part.

• MuktukMuktuk Member UncommonPosts: 84

I was incredibly disappointed to discover that GW2 uses tab targeting when I first tried the beta.

Why in the hell would any company choose to use tab targeting in a “next gen” game with “action” combat?  Unforgivable.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by aesperus

This ^

No one is claiming 'aim based' in the TERA sense of the word. There was never said to be a crosshair. However, the way tab-targetting works in this game is very much different from other games. The aiming in this game fits somewhere in between a traditional tab - targetting system, and a cross-hair driven system. You can aim attacks with the camera, however if you have a target selected it will auto-aim the attacks in the direction of where your target was standing when the ability was used. If that target sprints off, or teleports, the projectile won't adjust to hit them, it will miss.

There are certain skills that are exceptions to this, most of which are melee (and in TERA it works the same way, Y axis aiming doesn't matter for melee, it's purely horizontal aiming for non-ranged skills). And basically, these are certain skills that are designed to seak out the target (ie serpent's sting rolls around and 'aims' at a nearby target.)

It's not an FPS, but I don't really see anyone who is confused by that.

Actually lots of blind fanboys claimed it was aim based like Tera, and I believed it until I did my own research and played BWE.

http://www.mpog.com/mobile/forums.cfm?ismb=1&threadId=347260

so no the OP is not trying to hard, instead he is calling it how he sees it from these forum members' own posts.

Originally posted by Muktuk

I was incredibly disappointed to discover that GW2 uses tab targeting when I first tried the beta.

Why in the hell would any company choose to use tab targeting in a “next gen” game with “action” combat?  Unforgivable.

What can I say.  If you were still pressing the Tab key after a few hours, you were playing it wrong.  Or maybe you didn't play it at all.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by Nevulus

This ^

No one is claiming 'aim based' in the TERA sense of the word. There was never said to be a crosshair. However, the way tab-targetting works in this game is very much different from other games. The aiming in this game fits somewhere in between a traditional tab - targetting system, and a cross-hair driven system. You can aim attacks with the camera, however if you have a target selected it will auto-aim the attacks in the direction of where your target was standing when the ability was used. If that target sprints off, or teleports, the projectile won't adjust to hit them, it will miss.

There are certain skills that are exceptions to this, most of which are melee (and in TERA it works the same way, Y axis aiming doesn't matter for melee, it's purely horizontal aiming for non-ranged skills). And basically, these are certain skills that are designed to seak out the target (ie serpent's sting rolls around and 'aims' at a nearby target.)

Actually lots of blind fanboys claimed it was aim based like Tera, and I believed it until I did my own research and played BWE.

so no the OP is not trying to hard, instead he is calling it how he sees it from these forum members' own posts.

OP is not trying to hard? i could believe in that if wasnt MMOEXPOSED...dont need to search hard to see all posts/topic he create is to say something bad about GW2. he ahte GW2 but he stay all the time on GW2 forum.

as many have say. GW2 use a hybrid system of tab target, nothing more nothing less and obvious have a dodge system (dodge necro staff skill 1 doesnt even need dodge skill to avoid if you are far enough )

• keinohrkeinohr Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by Muktuk

Not everyone prefers an action based combat style. That's why many companies still use a tab target system. E.G. Bioware(SWTOR), Funcom(TSW), (Zenimax(TES),) etc.

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

Originally posted by Nevulus

This ^

OP is not trying to hard? i could believe in that if wasnt MMOEXPOSED...dont need to search hard to see all posts/topic he create is to say something bad about GW2. he ahte GW2 but he stay all the time on GW2 forum.

as many have say. GW2 use a hybrid system of tab target, nothing more nothing less and obvious have a dodge system (dodge necro staff skill 1 doesnt even need dodge skill to avoid if you are far enough )

Yeah, he's been trying to expose Guild Wars 2 as a fraud for ages.  It's become kind of like a low-pitched background drone that pervades the the GW2 forums.  A bit like living close to high-tension power lines, only more humorous.